PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Video Closing

mrz84
11-10-2013, 06:45 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/10/this-reader-isnt-going-to-miss-blockbuster/

The first article I found searching with google on it after hearing from my mom that our local store will be closing soon after a liquidation sale this month.

Personally, I have had more pleasant experiences with them than some of the readers in this article and its comment section. But that's just my personaly experience.

I mostly blame stuff like Netflix, Hulu, etc for this, but I like the former for a flat montly fee to watch whatever you want (that they have) and I have no experience with the latter so I'll say nothing of them.

What do you all think? Will you miss BV? No? Opinions on the matter?

[edit-o-vision] found this: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304448204579185702090813172

Apparently some privately owned stores (about 50 of them) will be staying open (read the article for details on where exactly)

Aliem
11-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Honestly, until just a few weeks ago, I thought this had already happened.

I haven't rented a physical copy of a movie in I think a little over 4 years. Redbox is nice for new releases I guess, but I usually just use Netflix.

Funny thing is, didn't Blockbuster turned down the opportunity to buy Netflix ages ago?

erm2003
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Blockbuster did lose the opportunity to move into the next century by turning down the offer to buy Netflix. If you Google it there were talks over 5-6 years ago about the possibility of a buyout or merger. They didn't see the writing on the walls and their main business practice just got outdated. They tried to do the monthly subscription plans, but you still can't beat streaming when the higher internet speeds we can now get at home.

I personally won't miss it though because I rarely watch movies. I occasionally catch one or two on the Encore channels because they come with my channel lineup and that's good enough for me. It's not really a service I will miss.

CJC
11-11-2013, 06:35 PM
The one where I live closed a few years ago, and was preceded by the closure of Hollywood Video (which was our preferred rental place). Erm's right, there just wasn't room for their business model in the modern world. Any company that refuses to adapt in the face of new technology is crushed beneath its wake. Progress is thus a steamroller, obliterating the old ways.

ShadowTiger
11-11-2013, 07:30 PM
The one in my town closed five to seven years ago, and the one several towns over closed about two years ago. Interesting time difference there.

Not really too sad to see it gone, short of the employment opportunity they provided.

Xyvol
11-12-2013, 09:42 PM
My area went down to 2 stores years ago, both of which were very out of the way for me. I've had Netflix since they started, so the only thing Blockbuster or Hollywood video had for me was game rental. Having only a few copies of the most popular new releases killed that even before they shut down the stores. I used blockbuster by mail for a few years recently to rent games I could copy to my Wii hard drive, but like all the other internet game rentals, the new or popular games are always out and you end up getting junk you put in your queue because it maybe looked sorta interesting.
I understand that some people prefer to hit the rental store and watch the movie that night, but I am not sad to see BB go. I fully expect to see their streaming service shut down too, so many other places just do it better.

[edit-o-vision] found this: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304448204579185702090813172

Apparently some privately owned stores (about 50 of them) will be staying open (read the article for details on where exactly)

It's been a while since I had business classes, but I'm not certain if they can continue to operate under the Blockbuster name. Maybe for a short time while the contract is still in effect, but once it ends I would think that the use of the name would no longer be allowed. These stores would have to continue business under a new name and thus the owner's own business. They lose brand recognition, advertising, and many other functions that the franchisor grants. The guy mentioned in the article seems to know how to run a business well, hopefully he has enough loyal customers to keep afloat.

SUCCESSOR
11-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Blockbuster still exists?

People still rent physical copies of movies from a video store?

Michael Jackson died?

Seriously though. Blockbuster closed a good deal of it's stores several years back and I thought they were extinct; all the stores I used and knew about were gone. When I heard they were still in business I knew it was only a matter of time. Even their efforts to imitate redbox was too little too late. No one will miss you, dinosaur.