PDA

View Full Version : [5th Quest Entry] MischaPetya

MischaPetya
11-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Hello everyone here is my entry for the 5th Quest Contest.

I greatly appreciate if you would take time to play this quest and give some sort of feed back on it or tell of any bugs (pretty sure it's bug free).

This is the original version of the quest that was entered before the deadline. As best to my knowledge.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2riNlKKG5mrZ0YtcGdzXzJzUjA/view?usp=sharing

This quest has the fire wizzrobes and fire zols in it they were removed in every version of the quest after. This version was altered to have you not get keylocked in level 6 and lanmolas segments don't drop anything. The 69 room is still in this version.

This is the most recent version of the quest. Added 10-29-14
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2riNlKKG5mrQnZmRU1IUkxNd00/view?usp=sharing

This my ultimate vision of what the quest should be. This quest is very difficult having very complex dungeons and super powered up enemies. The dungeon layout in this version is the same as in the original except for levels 8 and 9 which differ slightly with item location.

Nightmare
11-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Michi:

Two BIG issues:

1. Why are normal enemies dropping bombs? This is weird, and part of Zelda 1 is determining which enemies to kill to get which items.
2. Your Lv. 1 is nearly impossible. You either need to take the Statues out of the boss room, weaken the Patra on the # of hits taken, or tell me where to get HC's or the White Sword. Otherwise, on 3 Hearts, he really can't be taken down.

Let me know what's up.

-James

MischaPetya
11-04-2013, 04:38 AM
I made the changes you have recommended about drops and the first dungeon. Try this new version of the quest.

Out of curiosity were you using a magic shield for this dungeon?

http://www.celestialrealm.net/index.php?page=quests&id=441

Nightmare
11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Yes I was, though it took me forever to find a cheap shield shop, but I did. :)

-James

Nightmare
11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Miesha, your file sharing service has malware. Can you move your quest to somewhere like PureZC"s database.

CJC also had the same problem.

-James

MischaPetya
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Sorry about that I just went ahead and submitted it on the PureZC site.

SUCCESSOR
11-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Miesha, your file sharing service has malware. Can you move your quest to somewhere like PureZC"s database.

CJC also had the same problem.

-James

It helps to spend a few seconds to find the actual download link and not the ads posing as a download link.

Nightmare
11-04-2013, 03:01 PM
It has an installer that installs crap SUCCESSOR. I was able to delete it from my computer, but IDK if anyone else has the ability to.

-James

SUCCESSOR
11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
It has an installer that installs crap SUCCESSOR. I was able to delete it from my computer, but IDK if anyone else has the ability to.

-James

I just downloaded it. No problems, no crapware. In fact I like that site better than most hosting sites like mediafire which give me endless issues.

As I said: Make sure you are actually on the download link before you click and not a fake.

Nightmare
11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Last time I got one. I'll look into it again.

Thanks.

-James

CJC
11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Ah, I see, you need to click the actual title of the quest, not any of the 'Download' buttons that pop up on the site. The title is a hyperlink to a direct download.

MischaPetya
11-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Here is a new version of my quest that brings down the difficulty some. There were some rooms I thought were too unfair and frustrating.

http://www.celestialrealm.net/index.php?page=quests&id=441

CJC
12-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Nightmare
12-20-2013, 03:30 AM
Getting back on this one, I probably consider this one more urgent of needs.

Edit: Much better on Lv. 1, still very hard, but passable. Players might not like grinding for shields though, and casual players will do it due to the Wizzrobes.

Edit 2: Finally found your cheap shield shop, nice place to put it. Now we're in business.

Edit 3: Through Lv. 2. Solid, hard if you're not smart.

Edit 4: Bug: 1st Quest Lv. 2 Entrance and 1st Quest Lv. 5 Entrance: Lake doesn't dry.

Edit 5: Though Lv. 3, seemed a bit too easy. Maybe Flashing Ropes really are that tough without a White Sword.

Edit 6: OK, we got a problem:

I got your clue: "Play a song where Peahats Dance"

Played it west of the Lost Woods, got a cheap shield shop

Played it east of Spectacle Rock: Got "A Secret to Everybody" (didn't take it yet)

Everywhere else with Peahats, nothing.

I imagine this is where you find Lv. 4, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Did you forget a flag, or am I just oversighting something?

-James

MischaPetya
12-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes I forgot the flag to make the staircase appear for Level 4 it is fixed now also the lake drying bug is fixed now too. Just redownload the quest from PureZC. Thank you for finding that for me.

Nightmare
12-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Grrrrrrrr, got keylocked at Lv. 4 and your keys are 240 apiece :: sigh ::

Might want to lower the price of the keys in the 00 shop. This will realistically happen to people.

Edit: Scrounged up 240, beat 4. This is looking more like a puzzler/exploration quest so far, though the dungeon shapes do lack a bit of charm sad to say.

-James

MischaPetya
12-22-2013, 01:48 PM
You must have missed a key how many keys did you find it is possible to find three keys without opening a single door.

Nightmare
12-22-2013, 02:47 PM
It was kinda my fault, but I found one key and went down that route, and I missed the Stalfos push block, probably my bad.

Anyway, onto 5.

Edit: Beat 5. My head is spinning from that puzzle.

Edit 2: We got an issue here. You are using Firerobes. Firerobes cast fire, which is only blockable by the Mirror Shield. Using the Mirror Shield will probably cost you the contest at this rate, as there are some very strong NES-based quests out there (I hope I don't find it by some chance). Anyway, if you're going to use Fire Gleeoks and Firerobes, I suggest that you change the weapon type to fireball so it stays more true to the NES. That's what I did to compensate for the fact I couldn't make fire blockable by the Magic Shield, unless you are only using a 1-headed Fire Gleeok, which you can zone out if you're smart (watch my Demo 1st and 2nd on how to do it if you're not sure)

Edit 3: Beat 6, had to do it with a White Sword. That was BRUTAL!

Edit 4: Need 2 hints:
1. Where is the Ladder in 6?
2. Where is the Magic Sword?

-James

MischaPetya
12-23-2013, 08:25 AM
The fire wizzrobes can stay I feel it adds to the challenge there are no fire gleeoks.
There are only classic items in this quest.
-=SPOILER=-

Nightmare
12-23-2013, 10:09 AM
If the Ladder is in a room where the 6 blocks and Firerobes are with traps, either I'm totally missing it or you forgot a flag. They only seem to open doors. You might need to check that place out, or it's off the map and I have no clue of where it is.

-James

MischaPetya
12-23-2013, 11:28 AM
How to find the ladder

-=SPOILER=-

Nightmare
12-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Yeah, wouldn't have thought of that, especially considering I've visited all the rooms, but you do have the wrong level. That was Level 4, not Level 6.

Edit: Found it, now to 7 with your miserable Stalfos 3.

Edit 2: Beat 7. Not really liking the Fire Zols and Gels, they unlike the other enemies have no basis in a Zelda game.

Edit 3: Clue on the Wand in 7? The Blue Pols Voice in 8 are destroying me. (and the map as well)

-James

MischaPetya
12-23-2013, 01:36 PM
How to find the wand and map -=SPOILER=-

-=SPOILER=-

Nightmare
12-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Is the Wand off the map?

-James

MischaPetya
12-24-2013, 08:50 AM
How to find the Wand

-=SPOILER=-

Nightmare
12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Is that 7 or 8? That color looks more like 8 than 7.

-James

Nightmare
01-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Through 8. BTW, the picture relates to Lv. 8 for everyone's info (thanks Mischa)

I'm going to say a few things about 8:

1. It feels very ROMhackish. Gibdos, Darknuts, Pols Voice moving at walking speed or more, doing massive damage. I don't know if there's much you can do about it, but it just feels more like MvC 2 and less Zelda. I'm able to handle it, but this could be serious problems for the average player.
2. Make the Purple Darknuts ringleaders. It makes sense when you have one of them.
3. You got a bug: Your Letter Used displays nothing. It should display a letter.

Level 9:
1. One HUGE HUGE complaint: Why are we still doing the cheap statue shit in the 5th Quest that plagued the original James Quest and the 3rd Quest? We have an enemy editor to play around with and a lot of new creative tools, why do we have to resort to this? UGH! Not a big fan of this.
2. Room west of entraince: Statues just for decoration?
3. Couldn't find the Red Ring, but beat Ganon anyway. Ganon room is pretty cheap.

Your grades:

Difficulty: 98/100
Feels a bit ROMhack’ish in Lv. 8
6 can be brutal

NES Authenticity: 85/100
Fire Zols and Gels are not in any Zelda game.
Colors are off for enemy groups, but quest designer generally follows some sort of enemy groups.

Fun Factor: 80/100
Firerobes can be cheap.
Statues in Lv. 9 and Ganon room on the cheap side, might want to do something to promote more skill than follow the James Quest original route.

Final Score: 86.67/100
End could be designed a bit better and less cheap, 8 feels like a ROMhack. Still, solid. Not without its problems though.
-James

bigboylink
01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Just finished this quest. Note/disclaimer - I played the version that was updated to PureZC on Dec 22.

Below is my review:

-=SPOILER=-

MischaPetya
01-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Thank you to everyone who played the quest so far. There is a new version of the quest out now with some changes.

-=SPOILER=-

Everything else is the same

justin1
02-14-2014, 12:44 PM
just started this one. through lvl4. so far it is my new favourite, i hope it keeps up...

lvl3 - the 2nd boss battle for the last key to the triforce was brilliant

Zweldron
03-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Well, I'm (almost) stuck here. I just finished level 7, and I found no items in the dungeon (other than a bomb upgrade). From the clue in the dungeon, I believe that the -=SPOILER=- should be in here somewhere, but I must have pushed/bombed every block/wall multiple times and still nothing. The clue -=SPOILER=- Am I missing something, or am I simply reading too much into it?
For the record, I am currently missing the following standard items (so if I a missed something in an earlier dungeon, let me know): magic key, red ring, book, wand, red candle, silver arrows, magic boomerang

MischaPetya
03-24-2014, 03:08 AM
-=SPOILER=-

Zweldron
03-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks, and boy do I feel silly now. I just popped into the game to check, and sure enough I missed it :banghead:

Zweldron
03-28-2014, 11:05 PM
SPOILER WARNING! there may be spoilers throughout this post!

Well, I've finished it, so here some the comments, by category:

Riddler: very nice cluing for things that were not in obvious places. I was never stuck trying to figure out where to go. A few clues (such as one in level 6) I only got the significance of after finding what they referred to, but I *should* have figured them out. I don't recall a clue for locating dungeon 9, however (I had found it through my search of the overworld- I tend to try all the obvious stuff, however I don't burn every tree unless I must if I only have the blue candle.) 4/5 here.

Difficulty: The ramping was a little uneven. One major difficulty was the lack of a boomerang until dungeon 6. You really appreciate that item when you don't have it! I had little trouble with most of the dungeons (not saying they were easy, only that I was pretty good at clearing them), but the last couple jumped severely in difficulty. some things were overdone, but I'll comment on them during the appropriate categories. 4/5 again.

clever boss: The trickiest thing was not in the bosses themselves, but rather that there were often assorted bubbles getting in the way. However, the Ghomas were generally a real pain to defeat- in particular the one on the route to Ganon in dungeon 9. The most interesting thing was the coin-bubble *IN* the Ganon battle. Fortunately I didn't get hit by it too much, so I was able to shoot the arrow when needed. This actually helps the interesting enemy rating, though, as bubbles are support characters. 3/5 here.

Interesting enemy: there were the usual power-ups on the enemies. Unfortunately, this meant that many rooms could never be "cleared" as even with the magic sword, the zols and vires couldn't be killed completely, so they always regenerated when leaving a room. The bubbles were the most interesting and varied, between b-type bubbles, charging bubbles, and the aforementioned coin bubbles, they were by far the worst enemy in most of the dungeon rooms! Unfortunately, most of the modified creatures were simply stronger / healthier / faster versions of the old ones. Not much originality in most of them. 3/5 here.

Dungeon quality: Very well done- though I did have to purchase a key once (I probably simply missed one, but the dungeons are hard to be certain they have been completely explored). I think that there were a few too many underground paths. Several dungeons had more than 10 of them. Combine this with the rooms that can't have the creatures cleared, and even returning through areas you already explored became a chore. That is the only reason that I only give 3.5/5 here; it likely would have done better with a little more moderation in use.

Appearance/NES feel: The map, cluing, and all-around NESness of the map was very good. I think this one is definitely worthy of becoming "official" from this standpoint. There were, however, one or two comments which seemed out-of-place as humorous asides which didn't quite fit in for the feel. 4/5 here.

Overall, this was a very well-made quest, and has the highest marks of the 5th quest quests I have done so far, with an overall 3.65/5

Gleeok
08-27-2014, 03:51 AM
Here is a new version of my quest that brings down the difficulty some. There were some rooms I thought were too unfair and frustrating.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just started this quest today; looks very good so far. Also haven't died yet. Never dropped below 2-hearts for LV1 and 2, though it's understandable since those seem to be a-maze-ing! (Seriously if LV1 had any more underground passageways you would have give all the enemies mole sprites). If I manage a 0-game on it first try I'll be disappointed. :( :sadder face:

Coyotek4
08-27-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm through 4 Levels. Lost one life in Level 4, but was worth it for the item I got. Still missing both bomb upgrades and a ton of items, and not sure about the whereabouts of the Magic Sword and Level 8. So far, a very solid quest. (Were the horizontal and vertical 'tunnel' rooms overdone? Perhaps, but the author sure knows how to get the maximum value for a dungeon.)

MischaPetya
08-28-2014, 09:48 AM
There is a new version of the quest out if you downloaded before August 28, 2014 redownload.

Mainly bumps the difficulty back up and fixes a warp that got messed up in the last version.

Coyotek4
08-31-2014, 05:05 PM
There is a new version of the quest out if you downloaded before August 28, 2014 redownload.

Mainly bumps the difficulty back up and fixes a warp that got messed up in the last version.

Considering how much disdain I had for Travster's quest (after he turned up the difficulty from -7 to 184), I'm glad I finished the version I had before this bump in difficulty. Anyway ...

Wow! Seriously, the dungeon mazes in this quest were pure insanity. Nearly every dungeon had at least one 'horizontal' or 'vertical' tunnel room where you had to enter from all three sides to get everything the room had to offer. (Often, two opposite walls were connected by the path, while a third side had a room-clearing item and the fourth side had a secret passage.) This was easily the most intricate dungeon system I've ever seen, '5th quest' or otherwise. Better still, you accomplish all this without resorting to 'one-way passages' (I hate those) and only a few shutter doors. Just an exceptional job!

(I dunno if the early levels needed so much intricacy, but it certainly prepared you for the future.)

Very much a 'linear' quest, as every dungeon contained an item needed to get into (or past the first room of) the next dungeon. Also a huge backload of items near the end; I found 6 items in the last 2 dungeons. For all that, though, there was nothing 'unfair' about the quest: every important item and location had a clue to find it. You really maximized the potential that the original Overworld had.

Most of the new creatures weren't overly original, though I'd never seem the rope-like behavior in Bubbles before (and am grateful you didn't put them in before Level 9). The Ganon battle was unique with what you put in there; original, but not out of the realm of what the original game could have offered.

I'm torn between this quest and BigJoe's as to which I like more; this one had better dungeons, but BigJoe's was definitely more 'authentic' with the color palettes and creatures within. I lean towards this one, but only barely. (It should be noted that I did these quests very recently, and may be forgetting how good the quests by HeroOfFire, Nightmare, Chris Miller, and CJC.)

Fantastic Job!

MischaPetya
09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
There is a new version of the quest because level 6 didn't have enough keys in it and you were forced to buy one to progress.

Nightmare
09-28-2014, 01:43 AM
Mischa, I really don't care what you do with the later levels, you can make them as hard/easy as you please, but please:

Level 1 is WAY too hard! There are traps everywhere, you can't really refill life before you hit the boss, and it kinda stinks your quest out at the moment in your new version because you really can't prepare for it. I'd highly suggest minusing the traps out (if you want to leave the statues in the boss room OK, I could dodge the beams where they were located).

Level 1 is supposed to be an intro, a warm-up, getting people back into it. It's right now arguably harder than Lv. 9 of the 2nd Quest, and that's not exactly a good thing.

Just my 2C on replaying your quest on the new version on your stream.

Nightmare
09-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Here's the replay of what I have so far from my stream on InstaGib.tv:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZg6iQHFIdmj0fpcjPXIOzGh7dZBhE1XI

Coyotek4
09-30-2014, 05:20 AM
I see you made that first video private.

MischaPetya
09-30-2014, 07:07 AM
I took into consideration what you said about the quest and I changed the traps. It is doable but it is hard so if you want to try the quest again you can download the quest again. Thanks for the feedback.

Nightmare
09-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Fixed the private video issue. Uploading the other parts now.

One more lighter suggestion Mischa: Unless I'm really being crazy and haven't found the White Sword before Level 2 because I missed it, NO ONE in this day and age is going to like to have to kill 6-10 Like-Likes in a row with a Wooden Sword. Hell, I don't even think in my Wooden Sword 2nd Quest runs I did that. So I got a potential solution to that problem in Level 2, and it'll make it look even better in this contest: Make a custom Like-Like with different colors and takes less hits (5 to be fair). I did this in James Quest: Remastered and it seemed to go over better, with eliminating a cheap aspect. Not saying it's impossible, but some food for thought.

-James

MischaPetya
09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Yesterday I went and uploaded another version of the quest version 9 that takes out a lot of the traps and other things. I just started watching your runthrough and I decided to release another version of the quest version 10 that eliminates the like likes completely and fixes other graphical problems and things I saw in your videos. Version 10 hasn't been processed on PureZC yet as of this post.

White Sword and Whistle location
-=SPOILER=-

Nightmare
09-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Yesterday I went and uploaded another version of the quest version 9 that takes out a lot of the traps and other things. I just started watching your runthrough and I decided to release another version of the quest version 10 that eliminates the like likes completely and fixes other graphical problems and things I saw in your videos. Version 10 hasn't been processed on PureZC yet as of this post.

White Sword and Whistle location
-=SPOILER=-

Glad to be of service with my videos Mischa. I think all the quests should be documented like this (not just mine) to see how they play and so people who don't have time/can't finish it can judge for themselves. I don't know if I'll get to anyone else though due to time constraints, but I thought your quest was really good and deserved the treatment of getting a video for being underplayed.

-James

MischaPetya
09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the videos. This was my second ever completed quest so it's hard to gauge difficulty until you see someone else play it. I would love to see you play the new version you will have a much easier time with it compared to what you are doing now.

Nightmare
09-30-2014, 06:59 PM
I wish someone would play mine besides me (like Gleeok, BigJoe, or someone else. I did my own runthrough). I did BigJoe's Link's Last Leg though, and that quest got exposed to a good deal.

-James

MischaPetya
09-30-2014, 09:34 PM
New quest version out. (Version 10)

Nightmare
10-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Parts 6-14 up, putting more up tomorrow.

EDIT: Now to Part 14.

-James

Coyotek4
10-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I wish someone would play mine besides me (like Gleeok, BigJoe, or someone else. I did my own runthrough). I did BigJoe's Link's Last Leg though, and that quest got exposed to a good deal.

-James

I would, but I've never done a 'Lets Play' before and don't know where to begin. Or what equipment I would need.

(I probably would have to subscribe to YouTube, I guess.)

Nightmare
10-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I would, but I've never done a 'Lets Play' before and don't know where to begin. Or what equipment I would need.

(I probably would have to subscribe to YouTube, I guess.)

Look up Open Broadcaster System (OBS) for Windows (if you have it). It's mainly a streaming tool, but now supports recording outside of streaming. It's easily the best tool to use to record Zelda Classic.

If you need help setting up PM me.

-James

Coyotek4
10-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Look up Open Broadcaster System (OBS) for Windows (if you have it). It's mainly a streaming tool, but now supports recording outside of streaming. It's easily the best tool to use to record Zelda Classic.

If you need help setting up PM me.

-James

Never heard of OBS before, and don't have it. I googled the term; I read that I can download "OBS 0.636 Beta" ... but I'm always wary of downloading stuff like this off the net.

Nightmare
10-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Never heard of OBS before, and don't have it. I googled the term; I read that I can download "OBS 0.636 Beta" ... but I'm always wary of downloading stuff like this off the net.

That's the right one, looks like they updated again (I have 0.635b). It works good, just take the installer slowly and don't install anything else they offer ( a common problem with free software). If you do accidentally, let me know, I know how to remove that stuff.

-James

Gleeok
10-04-2014, 01:24 AM
@James: Use some bombs on the like-likes before finishing them off with the sword for christ's sake. Stop being such a cry-baby. :P

MischaPetya: I've been out of town for two-weeks and still haven't finished your quest yet, sorry. I'm also still running the older version you posted last time I replied to this thread (whatever version that is; I forget). From what I've played of that one I have to disagree a bit with nightmare--It's really good as-is.

bigjoe
10-04-2014, 10:42 AM
I downloaded OBS on Nightmare's suggestion and it seems pretty legit. I've recorded four videos of Nightmare's 5th entry so far. It works excellently, just takes a bit of setup.

Coyotek4
10-04-2014, 06:31 PM
I downloaded OBS on Nightmare's suggestion and it seems pretty legit. I've recorded four videos of Nightmare's 5th entry so far. It works excellently, just takes a bit of setup.
Does this mean you're doing a Lets Play for Nightmare's quest?

Nightmare
10-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Enough of the off-topic! If you want to discuss BigJoe's run of my quest, do it in my thread please! It's disrespectful to Mischa. (once again, apologize for the rent-a-modding, though I think it had to be said)

Anyway, Part 15 and 16 are up for Mischa's quest. Enjoy!

-James

bigjoe
10-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Apologies. I just wanted to get it out there that OBS isn't spyware, in case Coyotek or others wanted to do runs of the finalists' quests.

Nightmare
10-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Apologies. I just wanted to get it out there that OBS isn't spyware, in case Coyotek or others wanted to do runs of the finalists' quests.

https://obsproject.com/download

There, done.

-James

Nightmare
10-08-2014, 02:20 AM
I know some people are going to call me soft and stuff, but I need to say something (too bad I can't show it because OBS keeps freezing):

Your new Level 6 seems very ROMhackish, like Level 8 in your old version. Maybe it's the game designer inside of me, maybe it's something else, but something just feels wrong about it. I know ZC people can do otherwise, but I don't know if Zelda in an official contest should be about reaction time-based skills. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fighting game player, and even being one of the worst with being slow, I'm still a good deal faster than the average player and can handle what you throw at me (though I wish I had a Magic Sword starting 6). I just don't know if it "belongs" with everything going at mega-speed in something Nintendo could possibly be looking at, when they have traditionally made Zelda more like a puzzle-solving than that, and the casual base crowd playing this could have some major issues with it.

You can take this or leave this as you please, if it was your intended design then by all means leave it in, it adds something different to the final pool. But I just needed to put my two cents in on this fact of how I feel about this.

I'm not saying one or two enemies is bad, but a whole lot is going to cause issues.

-James

Nightmare
10-15-2014, 09:12 PM
MischaPetya, I've got some bad news. InstaGib is indefinitely down. Do you mind if I finish this via recording until OBS updates and InstaGib fixes itself from the Smash stuff? Thanks.

-James

MischaPetya
10-16-2014, 12:10 AM
MischaPetya, I've got some bad news. InstaGib is indefinitely down. Do you mind if I finish this via recording until OBS updates and InstaGib fixes itself from the Smash stuff? Thanks.

-James

Do whatever you need to do.

Nightmare
10-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Parts 17 and 18 up.

Possible problems with Lv. 6, if I'm going the wrong way for the Ladder (and possibly the Magic Sword) let me know.

-James

MischaPetya
10-17-2014, 08:09 AM
This is a pretty linear level actually just be sure to find another hint that is helpful in finding the ladder just check walls for secrets. You're on the right rack so far. If you need help with the ladder just check old comments.

also 5 and 6 are not switched it's the same. red wizzrobe 2 teleport delay is half of red wizzrobe 1.

Nightmare
10-17-2014, 11:00 AM
It seemed faster, but I'm taking a break. I reported a bug with the Wizzrobes to the ZC Center (it's ZC, not you Mischa). When that is addressed I will let you know.

MischaPetya
10-20-2014, 07:51 AM
New version of the quest (Version 11)

Nightmare
10-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Finally finished Level 6 Mischa, ugh, ugh, ugh. Glad you didn't put Blues in that last room. Whew.

Level 7 is coming up next, posting everything tomorrow night. It's late and the stuff has to convert.

EDIT: I know Mischa has been following religiously, but for everyone else, Parts 19-25 are up.

EDIT 2: Parts 26-30 are up. Done with Level 7.

-James

MischaPetya
10-25-2014, 01:49 PM
New version of the quest (Version 12)

Nightmare
10-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Level 8 and its #ROMhackiness has come and gone!

Parts 31-33 are up!

-James

MischaPetya
10-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Level 8 isn't over go back you forgot something.

Nightmare
10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Parts 34-36 are up.

-James

Nightmare
10-28-2014, 06:49 AM
DING DONG! THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!

Completely done, 42 parts, uploaded.

Have fun Mischa.

-James

MischaPetya
10-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for playing really enjoyed it. What are your overall thoughts. Also you did miss a key in level 9.

Nightmare
10-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm torn.

For the special edition:

As a game developer, I have to say you went too far. You're trying to win this contest and make it appealing, you failed miserably on that part. It is way too hard and would anger a lot of people.

As a former World Champion, this run will look good on my achievement wall. It was a nice piece of work, especially crushing Level 8 the way I did (which is probably your hardest level). It was worth the frustration in my book.

Also, thought I'd put this out, but Gleeok is mandating that non-special editions be posted on the original post for judging purposes. (the ones before the contest closed), which would be Version 5? in your case? I have it archived if you need to post it. BigJoe and I were told to use separate names for special editions, I know you were doing it (it's a good thing you did).

Overall, I still like V5 better; however, the achievement looks really good, I have to say. :)

EDIT: For those of you who can't stand 17 hours of runs, you can view the 4 minute highlights here: http://youtu.be/TR7lNzdTcjQ It was fun putting 15+ hours into 4 minutes.

-James

MischaPetya
10-29-2014, 12:06 PM
This is the original version of the quest that was entered before the deadline. As best to my knowledge.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2riNlKKG5mrZ0YtcGdzXzJzUjA/view?usp=sharing

This quest has the fire wizzrobes and fire zols in it they were removed in every version of the quest after. This version was altered to have you not get keylocked in level 6 and lanmolas segments don't drop anything. The 69 room is still in this version.

This is the most recent version of the quest. Added 10-29-14
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2riNlKKG5mrQnZmRU1IUkxNd00/view?usp=sharing

This my ultimate vision of what the quest should be. This quest is very difficult having very complex dungeons and super powered up enemies. The dungeon layout in this version is the same as in the original except for levels 8 and 9 which differ slightly with item location.

Gleeok
12-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Hey MischaPetya. Sorry, I'm bad about chiming in with comments on quests, but I did play your quest up to LV 8.

The first few levels I thought were extremely solid--very well done--however I switched versions of your quest to a newer one at that point without knowing that the changes you made were all the enemy types, etc. The problem with such sudden broad phase changes is that you really have to go through the entire game and rebalance everything; this is why it's usually dangerous to do this sort of thing. It was a good challenge, but I think it really hurt the overall flow of the quest. Exploration and searching became more like grinding, and the levels became longer (seemingly). All things considered I think the original version is a much more solid quest, so to be fair I'm going to replay it all the way through in that version. So yours will end up being the last quest I play.

James24
02-09-2021, 09:46 AM
I don't know if you're still around Mischa after 7 years or so but please respond if you are. I just finished playing your quest with 37 deaths after 22 hours without seeing any walkthrough or using any cheats. I must say, I love your smart sense of design and I can understand why things are done the way they are in your quest. I would have made the same design decisions if I was making the quest myself.

In particular, I really like your sense of challenge. Early levels were tough but nothing to sweat about but things really started ramping up once I hit level 5. It was absolutely brutal but very balanced at expert difficulty level and it kept me on my toes all the time. I missed the red ring in level 8 and managed to do most of level 9 without it and that was a *real* challenge. Definitely my choice for 5th quest but sadly it wasn't chosen. Challenge quests like your one don't tend to be liked very much.