PDA

View Full Version : [5th Quest Entry] zcfan27330

zcfan27330
10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Only Levels 1-6 and part of 9 are done.

I'd like feedback good and bad.

http://198.85.71.234/mcswainte/zeldaI/T5%20(2).qst

The different colored blocks in dungeons are the ones that are pushable when they weren't in the 1st or 2nd quest, but only the first time they show up after that they may or may not be pushable

Bugs corrected
letter fixed
removed the extra wooden sword
took out some of the 1 way shutters
switched 2 of the rooms content in Level 2
Edited a bit of Level 6

bigjoe
10-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Check the link. It doesn't seem to be working.

zcfan27330
10-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Link fixed

CJC
10-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Loaded up the file and was quite surprised by the contents of that first cave. Bonus points for that.

When you add in the remaining dungeons you'll want to move the warp square to be immediately WITHIN the doorway, though, so that Link enters the door instead of appearing in the middle of the room.

EDIT: Whew, the overworld is quite exhilarating when you don't have any weapons. "WRONG CORNER DUDE". Ouch.

EDIT EDIT: Didn't notice because I usually play mute, but the quest doesn't have any music.

zcfan27330
10-27-2013, 02:07 AM
I just took the whole Magic Book thing to a whole new level

You should like the entrance to Level 3 as well.

I know the guy who tells you to show this to the old woman gives you 1 rupee, I've fixed that but haven't updated the link. That is where the letter is supposed to be. I even kept the incorrect subject verb agreement that was in the NES 1st/2nd quests. I haven't used the enemy editor other than just tinkering. My new monsters are all going to be the already in game (example bat)

CJC
10-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Old Level 1 Entrance... Abei gives a sword too... this seems to contradict the 'seek the corners' feature. And it's not ironic like when you [excised] at the end of my quest.

Going to hit retry because I don't think that's supposed to be the item received in the tree.

zcfan27330
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Old Level 1 Entrance... Abei gives a sword too... this seems to contradict the 'seek the corners' feature. And it's not ironic like when you [excised] at the end of my quest.

Going to hit retry because I don't think that's supposed to be the item received in the tree.

I changed my mind and forgot to take that sword out from there. The sword is also in one of the 4 corners. I'll update the quest to Level 6 completed.

Updated in original post

CJC
10-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Coolness. I'll give it a go later this week.

Nightmare
10-29-2013, 01:59 AM
I'll be ion it as soon as I finish BigJoe's monstrous Lv.'s 8 and 9.

Edit: I tested it briefly. I don't really like the design of it, with all the wrong-way passages and doors, and seems to have major problems with NES authenticity. I didn't find this very fun when I tried it.

-James

zcfan27330
10-29-2013, 11:02 AM
^ I didn't expect much haven't designed a quest for public use yet, and I bet it shows

Nightmare
10-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Well, tip #1: Playtest your own quest. If it isn't fun, then it probably isn't going to be fun for everyone else.
2. Don't use too many one-way doors. They lead to generally frustration and will piss players off. They're OK sparingly.

-James

zcfan27330
10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
had no idea about the one way doors pissing people off. I'll replace some of them.

Thanks

NOTE: The link has changed a bit, please redownload if you downloaded it before 10/30 1:43 AM

zcfan27330
10-31-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm working on Level-9 now I'll update the link when I finish

zcfan27330
11-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm done.

CJC
11-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Alrighty! I'll add your quest link to the contest thread and start a new discussion in the Quest Players Club.

SUCCESSOR
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Bumping this entry out of the locked threads.

peteandwally
11-15-2013, 11:24 PM
I played through until hitting a few bugs in a row, but now it seems that I might have had an early version. It was nice to get a bomb upgrade in level 1 :) and the wooden sword was easy enough ti find. I couldn't figure out the maze path to the graveyard and then I just gave up :(

zcfan27330
11-15-2013, 11:53 PM
yeah you have an early version, there should be a staircase showing how to get through the graveyard. Doesn't tell you flat out, just gives you a hint.

What bugs did you find so I can correct them?

peteandwally
11-16-2013, 01:51 AM
Well, they might be fixed in a newer version. I'm gonna play through some of the other quests and if I get a chance come back to yours.

CJC
12-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I promised myself I'd tackle this quest next (having finished two so far).

Difficulty aside (it's not easy even getting to the sword): I found two typos ("FUTHER" in Level 9, "EXPENISVE" in a 10-Rupee cave) and got frozen when I stumbled into Level 6 early.

I'm not selecting 'Could Not Complete' yet, in case there's a newer version out there. I downloaded from the link from the OP. If no one shows me a 'newer' version, I'll have no choice.

Not a good start.

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
I got the Triforce piece from Level 2, then went back to retrieve items. Got the bracelet, then tried to leave. 'Leaving' led me to an empty treasure room; I could not exit Level 2.

Also found a few more typing errors.

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Was it deliberate that so many statements do not match their rooms? I got the message "I bet you'd like to have more bombs" when I found the location of the Magic Sword (which wasn't exactly hard to find).

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Got stuck in a Digdogger room in Level 3 without the whistle, with no way to leave. Also never found a Map for this level.

Never found the Compass in Level 4.

In a fairyless lake, the whistle shows a staircase but there's no way to get across the water to get to it, even with the Ladder. I suspect this is where the white sword is, as I never found it before getting the Magic Sword.

Level 6 is still one big bug (you must reset upon entering), and Level 8 has a room with 5 'Deathnuts', which cost me my first life (I had no potion when I entered). I can try that Level again, but the issue I've experienced (with Level 6 and otherwise) render this quest currently unplayable.

Sorry.

zcfan27330
12-30-2013, 03:37 PM
The white sword is where a door repair was in the first/second quest. It was "fixed" .
The map in Level 3 is southeast of the compass
The compass in Level 4 is 2 screens south of the top
You find the whistle in Level 3, that's why you get trapped in the Digdogger room

I'll fix typing mistakes last, but if the original game could misspell peninsula then I could misspell stuff too

It's unpassworded so you could open it up.

I'll work on fixing bugs

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 07:33 PM
The white sword is where a door repair was in the first/second quest. It was "fixed" .
The map in Level 3 is southeast of the compass
The compass in Level 4 is 2 screens south of the top
You find the whistle in Level 3, that's why you get trapped in the Digdogger room

I'll fix typing mistakes last, but if the original game could misspell peninsula then I could misspell stuff too

It's unpassworded so you could open it up.

I'll work on fixing bugs
Thx for replying. I'll take a second crack at finding the white sword. (A bit moot, as I have the magic sword now. Still think it was too easy to 'find' the magic sword.)

I did find the whistle, but the fact that you can get 'screened in' the boss room with no means of escape is not good IMO. You should be able to walk away, coming back later with whistle in hand. (I had a similar issue with Level 2, stuck in a room with a shutter and a locked door without a key.)

Level 8 seems tough, but I can give it another go.

Until Level 6 is fixed, though, the quest is no-go.

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
OK, I looked through your quest. For some reason, the Wizzrobes guarding the Map in Level 3 don't appear. This is why I never got the Map. Meanwhile, I couldn't find the Compass anywhere in Level 4.

I found out why it was so easy for me to get the Magic Sword: there are TWO of them. You left an unintentional one at the Quest 1 Level 6 entrance.

I thought I saw two possible entrances to Level 6 in your quest. The one in the graveyard doesn't work at all; perhaps it was an older version. The entrance along the bottom row of screens, you have Link start in screen 73 ... and this SHOULD be screen 74. This is what makes the game currently unable to be finished.

[EDIT: I see that when I leave Level 6 on my own accord, I end up in the graveyard. Would explain what I saw in the editor.]

(Level 8 is exceedingly difficult. I think there's too much in there. But this is just my opinion.)

zcfan27330
12-30-2013, 11:25 PM
I'll fix those problems and reupload and make level 8 a bit easier in about 36 hours.

and there were two copies on my hard drive which explains why the two magic sword locales I had one where Level 6 was and thought better of it, after I switched the .qst file.

I rushed through in creating this quest, to get an entry in by the deadline, and considering how it's my first quest for public some stupid mistakes show up

btw What did you think of the level locales? I tried to be inventive in selecting level locales, and I think I'm the only quest who changed up the 3 stair warp.

Coyotek4
12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Certainly a unique twist on the location of Level 9.

Overall, I like the locales. I saw the Level 4 trick once already (though not to get to a level). Levels 5 and 8's locations were done in the 3rd quest, I believe.

Not sure I like clues that refer to Door Repair charges from previous quests; I can only speak for myself, but I haven't exactly memorized those locations.

I find it very jarring that you mix-and-match 'guys' with text; it hurts the authenticity to the original, to say the least. (Some may get a kick out of it, to be fair.)

zcfan27330
12-31-2013, 03:20 AM
I made some of the changes you suggested. The correct entrance to Level 6 is the graveyard. I made level 8 a bit easier took out some of the enemies.

I changed the magic sword where Level 6 was in the first quest to a more bomb room.

The level 4 cheat is DUKE#1 case sensitive.

I don't know why that map won't drop in level 3 and the compass won't drop in Level 4, I'll look into that later

Coyotek4
12-31-2013, 01:29 PM
OK, finally finished this quest. (Sorry, but I voted 'could not complete' earlier and cannot change it back.)

Check Screen 65 in Level 9. When I went through that passageway, I ended up in Level 1!

One other 'fatal' error: when taking a passageway that leads to the Gleeok with boulders (what's up with that, by the way?), if you try to return through the same passageway, you end up 'stuck in a corner' when exiting. As doubling back through already-explored passageways is a requirement to finishing the quest, this needs to be changed.

The threat of facing more creatures after Ganon was somewhat anticlimatic, to say the least.

Fatal errors aside, I wasn't overly thrilled with this quest. The dungeons weren't particularly imaginative; Levels 8 and 9, in particular, were just squares. I saw the 'guided-missile Gorriyas' in another quest, though I can't hold that against you. I did like the Level 8 boss: death of a thousand paper cuts.

Overall, I have to rate this quest below the two I've already completed. It was unfinished, and much felt slapped together. I appreciate the effort, and admittedly I haven't created a quest myself (though I'd like to, if I ever got the password for the 1st quest), but I think I needed to see more here.

PS: you probably don't need to change Level 8. Apart from a couple early rooms, the rest didn't prove overly difficult.

zcfan27330
12-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Did you go left after finding Zelda

I did the enemies after Ganon akin to Level 3 in the second quest, something I felt should of been brought back. As for the maps, I tried to get someone to help me make some that looked like enemies since Alphadawg made some that looked like items, but that was to no avail

Coyotek4
12-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Did you go left after finding Zelda?

I did.

zcfan27330
01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
One more question, What did you think of the I'd bet you'd like to go up room in Level 8?

Coyotek4
01-01-2014, 06:50 PM
One more question, What did you think of the I'd bet you'd like to go up room in Level 8?

Well, it forces the player to get the bomb upgrade. Cute, but probably unnecessary.

zcfan27330
01-02-2014, 07:05 PM
^ I did that because it hadn't been done before, I thought it would be original. The extra room past Zelda was purely to be funny.

I plan on making another quest based on that overworld that we all know and love, and not be rushed, and there's more things I want to do that wasn't allowed in this contest.

justin1
02-07-2014, 12:24 AM
OW bugs

i'll admit, i'm tried of searching for OW secrets in all these contest entries. so i'm just cruising thru yours with the quest file open. dungeons i'm playing blind.

screen 68 - DRC room but string is for white sword
screen 4E and screen 2D - secret money room but string is "boy, this is really expensive"
screen 2D - i especially hate the cave location. i don't think anything should be hidden in the outer two rows of tiles, and certainly not the first tile.
screen 54 - blank tile appears when burning the bush.
screen 38 and screen 46 and screen 4D - same shop type but different strings
screen 5C - empty room and return square isn't set so you end up in the middle of trees

lvl1 - what was the purpose of being able to go left or up from the triforce room?
also i totally just stumbled into the boss room. good thing i had enough bombs. came back into the level to find the item (and compass).

justin1
02-07-2014, 12:53 AM
lvl2 - the two dark rooms i've seen so far have some tiles in the wrong cset.
- i just wandered into the boss room without finding anything else - no map or compass or item yet. going back in.

and i'm stuck. from the start, i took the first passageway into darknut room, went up to the "looks different" guy, went right into goriya room, killed them all, can't exit because of the locked door and no key. should be able to walk back thru the wall i came from.

justin1
02-07-2014, 12:43 PM
lvl2 - why the different coloured blocks in the gleeok room?

lvl3 - 4th room up from the entrance (rope room), there is a tile with the wrong cset
- the map room with the wizzrobes, the enemies won't spawn (therefore no map) because you have them set to spawn from the sides which won't work with wizzrobes, have them spawn classic and bob's your uncle.

uggh, moving fairy in potion shop, why??? damn thing flew into me and i had to buy it. make them stationary.

edit:
OW screen 00 - what's the purpose of this guy? same string as cheap shield shop, but no shop?
screens 36 and 15 - DRC charge is zero rupees. speaking of DRCs there are WAY to many relative to the number of secret money, almost every screen is a -20 DRC. makes accumulating money a grindfest.

there are also 2 too many heart containers on the OW.

edit2:

lvl4 - all the dark rooms have cset issues. compass doesn't drop because of how you've placed it, the push block triggers nothing, and the compass is set as special item so it would need an item cellar. get rid of the push block and have enemies->item, and place the item on screen. the lock doors are useless, the level just leads you to the boss.

ow - screen 3C - whistle does nothing, but no whirlwind appears so something is weird. you haven't set whistle->stairs. and the water is in the wrong cset, so it doesn't dry. and the return square is in the middle of the pond so you have to whistle again to leave the screen.

edit3:

lvl5 - no bugs that i noticed. several rooms have no enemies.

lvl6 - difficulty ramps up a notch, glad i finally grinded enough for the blue ring. seems like a lot of rooms are just designed to takeaway hearts.
one bug so far, going left from the compass room into the windrobe room, the block is pushable but nothing happens, and its possible to trap yourself in the room by pushing the block against the wall.
there is a key room with wallmasters and bubbles. the red bubbles take away sword but the blue bubble is item restoring.
get rid of the blue bubble room near the boss, it would be more interesting to fight him without the sword. the triforce will restore the sword.

edit4:

you are missing the letter (used) sprite, so once you use your potions it shows the letter again, right now yours just displays blank.

lvl7 - some of the dark rooms have cset issues.
screen 46 - has the item set wrong so no key drops. make it enemies-> key. it makes the level short a key.
i got key locked even with having an extra key when entering the level.
on the plus side lvl7 is your best designed dungeon.

that's it for today. lvls 8 and 9 later...

justin1
02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
lvl8
first screen right of entrance, you forgot to set a guy so the string doesn't show.

lvl9
screen up from triforce check room warps you to lvl1. is this intentional?

i'm done. while there were a couple neat ideas (overworld changes, lvl8 needing the magic key, using the whistle in an interesting way to access a level, staggered wizzrobe attacks, consecutive boss rooms, etc) overall the quest wasn't very good. there were a lot of bugs - seriously, it doesn't look like it was playtested at all (and its been a few months since submission deadline to do so). there was very very limited use of enemy editor, and almost no bosses were edited except a bit of health and the BS patra resprite. there were lots of issues with nes authenticity. other than the later levels the levels didn't have themes, the enemies were just a miss-mash, and lots of rooms didn't have enemies. it really easy too, i was sub-10 deaths with barely any potion use, most deaths were just because i was going too fast just to finish it. whatever difficulty there was came in the form of cheap room designed to drain hearts with too many statues, or awkward room/enemy/statue/trap combinations - thankfully these rooms were minimal, only in the later dungeons, and the majority of the rooms in the level were easy.

Zweldron
08-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Finished this quest (only 1 more to go :-) anyway, my quick rundown: (Note: since there seem to be many versions, I played the one with file dated 1/25/14)
With the exception of a couple rooms in level 6, this was a very easy quest. Enjoyable, but I don't think it is suitable for a 5th quest. Starting with the fact that there are 7 heart containers on the surface, this means that you could, in theory, get the magic sword after dungeon level 3 (some heart containers require the whistle, so you can't get it after dungeon 2,since you won't have all 12 hearts available; but after dungeon 3, you could have 13 hearts) I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but you are maxed out at 16 hearts, so you won't go to dungeon 9 with 18- not that you'll need that many.
There are several problems on the overworld- most of which have been mentioned before, but I will point out 3 specific problems: (1) In the screen 1 North and 1 East of the starti screen, there is a door repair which has the new sword message ("master using ..."). (2) On the screen 1 North of level 7 in the 2nd quest, there is an empty cave. (3) When you exit dungeon 5, you go to the screen 1 West of the SE corner.

There were a few dungeon problems (as opposed to things I didn't care for):
The NE corner of the graveyard has a tombstone that doesn't release a ghini. I spent a lot of time trying to open the path here. Only when checking the editor did I find that the dungeon entrance was elsewhere, but this location has the upgraded-bomb-required flag set. There are no upgraded bombs in this map.
In dungeon 7, there are 1 too few keys. In the editor, it seems that there is supposed to be a key located in room 46, but I never got one there. Also, as a result of this, since you cannot go back to the entrance from this area, you can be forced to f6-continue. Particularly nasty is that this room (46) had red bubbles, but there are no blue bubbles in this whole section of dungeon.
The only other criticism I have is the incredible number of underground passages in level 9 - 42 of the screens have an underground (4 are networked, the other 38 are paired), and as mentioned by another, one of them- room 42- goes to room 65, but room 65 goes to room 42 in dungeon 1, not 9!

I didn't see much new in the creatures, but since some I only saw in other 5th quest entries (such as the fire-zols), I will still give credit to them (I can't honestly penalize someone because of the order I happened to play the quests!), but the bosses, however, were all from the main 4 quests. The only unique to this map creature (AFAIK) is the quad-patra, which was actually easier than most normal patras.

Anyway, the map is overall decent, but definitely not what I would expect in a 5th quest. I give it an overall rating of 2.86 out of 5.

Ganonator
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Where is level 2?

Zweldron
08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
where is level 2?
-=SPOILER=-

Ganonator
08-10-2014, 08:18 PM
-=SPOILER=-
That's where level 3 is :-/

Zweldron
08-10-2014, 08:57 PM
That's where level 3 is :-/

That's strange. It is definitely Level 2 for me (I loaded the quest in the editor to make certain my notes weren't wrong. Perhaps there was a change to the quest? My copy is dated 1/25/14. I have level 3 -=SPOILER=-.