PDA

View Full Version : RIP Glenn the Great

SUCCESSOR
09-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Glenn joined AGN in the early days when we were just a handful of kids. He distinguished himself early on as A valuable contributor to Zelda Classic as well as the AGN community. His work in Zelda Classic helped make it much more than a Zelda 1 clone and inspired many other contributors that have made ZC the versatile game it is today.

Like many of us he left AGN from time to time and even earned himself a ban or two. He returned to become a member of staff and helped rebuild AGN working his way up to become an Admin. I think he loved this place as many of us do. I wish I knew him better for all the time I've known him.

You will be greatly missed by this community, Glenn.

Lynker
09-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Rest in Peace, Glenn. You made one of the earliest tilesets as well...most people don't even know that. You helped shape what Zelda Classic is, all of these years later. You will be missed by many.

Much love. :love_heart:

MasterSwordUltima
09-28-2013, 12:24 AM
This is unbelievable to me. Glenn was always a staple part of AGN lore. It's very bizarre, I was just talking to him about mapping a few weeks ago (infact, he recently finished some of the maps for the current shattered earth). I was waiting to hear from him so we could do further work...but this? No matter what his reputation is/was, I'm very sad to hear of this news. Most of my memories from early AGN have him connected some way or another. Will definitely be missed. :salute:

Goat
09-28-2013, 01:23 AM
I saw this and decided to sign in. That is very sad. R.I.P. glenn.

Goriya
09-28-2013, 01:31 AM
I hardly knew Glenn the Great, I've talked to him on IRC a few times, and I thought he was a pretty decent guy. Rest in peace, Glenn, we shall miss you.

Orion
09-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Like a lot of us, I've known many of you longer than my "real" friends, Glenn included. He was always very friendly and respectful toward me. I remember he and I both working on similar tilesets for ZC, god, 10 years ago or so. He was talented, and pushed me to work harder on mine as well.

It was nice to know you, Glenn.

WindStrike
09-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Can't say I knew Glenn that well, but I did know he was a very insightful person, loved by many, both of this community and those he knew personally. May he rest in peace, and may his memory and wisdom carry on through each and all of us.

SUCCESSOR
09-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Glenn's last words on AGN:

Shenanigans!

Liliith
09-28-2013, 02:03 AM
---

Brasel
09-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Knights Templar.

You were a local legend around here. You had your moments, but we all loved you. I'm so sorry...

CJC
09-28-2013, 02:38 AM
I've just been sitting here in front of the screen, trying to figure out what to say. I mean, he was Glenn the Great.

And he was. He was a driving force in our community. Nothing I could say would really do him justice.

...Goodbye Glenn.

Nightmare
09-28-2013, 03:15 AM
A Let's Play of his CGBZ Quest, only tribute I can give to him ATM:

http://youtu.be/C-OsmzshEWg

-James

Gleeok
09-28-2013, 03:21 AM
This is a very sad day for AGN. He was here from the beginning, and had it been slightly different, would of been here 'till the end. My condolences go out to his family. Rest in peace Glenn. You will be missed.

Ganonator
09-28-2013, 04:25 AM
What the hell? I know he was a trouble maker, but he made life interesting around here. Some things are hard to believe.

Ventus
09-28-2013, 07:02 AM
May his soul rest in peace...

I just don't know what else to say other then that...

bigjoe
09-28-2013, 08:20 AM
I wish I had got a chance to talk with you, Glenn. Rest in peace.

mrz84
09-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Glenn the Great was one of those members you knew in one of several ways, be it good or bad. I've seen him come and go over the years and he was always a vibrant member of the AGN and ZC communities. I wish his family well and they have my condolences.

erm2003
09-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Glenn you will be missed. AGN won't be the same without you. RIP.

Beldaran
09-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Ouch.

I am really depressed to hear this. Glenn was a fantastic contributor to this site, and we all had a lot more fun because of his humor and energetic spirit.

Liliith
09-28-2013, 11:30 AM
---

ShadowTiger
09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't grieve for the loss of an individual from the world; I honor the life that we got to experience in him, and am overjoyed that we all had the opportunity to know him and be touched by his many deeds and words of courage and wisdom.

May his legacy live on forever, as it does here between us all.

Beldaran
09-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't have any physical evidence of us ever being together.

Yes you do.

I would not be who I am without Glenn.

I've been writing for about 10 years and finished a novel and a huge body of work that I'm currently working with. it's the most significant thing I've done with my life right now.

when I was with Glenn is when I started reading again and finally got inspired to write. I made the decision to have writing be the center of my life no matter what else I was doing.

I wrote my first real draft, tons of stories and things I'm still working with, and so much stuff about him and for him.

He inspired so much of what I did.

but he was always there for me. I definitely felt the closest to him in a time of my life where I really needed excuses to keep going.

Din
09-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, this was... unexpected to hear.

Glenn was a wonderful and integral part of the community, and this really saddens me to hear. I remember a few years ago, when AGN had pulled the April Fools Prank in which he "took over". He had his moments back in the day, but as time wore on, he truly matured and eventually fulfilled that leader role he couldn't seem to get down in the past. As time wore on, and he matured, he easily became one of the most powerful and fun members AGN had to offer.

God damn.

Xyvol
09-28-2013, 12:57 PM
It's sad to hear that another AGN member has left us for good. I remember him from way back in the day. He will be missed.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-28-2013, 01:19 PM
https://www.facebook.com/GlennOMemorial

The only information the parents are divulging is that he "passed unexpectedly" for obvious reasons.

This is an ongoing investigation people. I trust you will use good judgment on what you say here.

DarkFlameWolf
09-28-2013, 01:21 PM
What can I say? Glenn and I have worked together on a few things but we never got any closer than that. Sad to see someone go from the community but you will be missed.

Gerudo
09-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I was quite stunned seeing this in my Facebook news feed and the subsequent follow up post. I really only recall having just a few interactions with Glenn over the years.

Although I didn't know you that well, I salute you in your life achievements Mr. Owens, both online and real life. You will be heavily missed, good sir.

Binx
09-28-2013, 02:54 PM
It's been 12 hours since I read that he had passed, and I still can't think of anything to say. It's just such a shock, I mean, I didn't talk to him, often, but he was all over the forums here and on PureZC.... It's gonna be weird to not see him around anymore...

Dart Zaidyer
09-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Wait, what?

What?!

Prrkitty
09-28-2013, 03:41 PM
May God bless him, his family and friends. My condolences to everyone... especially his immediate family. Hugs to all...

Chris Miller
09-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Glenn and I butted heads like moose at times, but I always had respect for him. My regret is that I'll never get to see him in person and have a real debate. The man had a keen intellect.

It was a surprise when he invited me to join the "Glenn Youth" group. We'd worked together on the KTC back in the very early days of AGN, but we didn't really know each other all that well.

Despite our differences in beliefs, we have very similar personalities, both as unyielding as stone. It made for some lively arguments, that's for sure. I'm going to find some way to honor him.

Phoenix
09-28-2013, 07:56 PM
I know I can't say much more than what has already been said, but I figured I should say something anyways.

Although I never truly knew Glenn, it doesn't make any less of an impact on me than if I did.

Rest in peace, Glenn. You will surely be missed.

Zim
09-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Glenn 'spoke' (by spoke I meant typed, because I never really met him either) like one of the most educated, understanding people I had ever had a conversation with.
This is really bad news dudes && dudettes!
Condolences and sympathies, ++ best regards && wishes to his closer friends and family, it's really a tragedy to hear about someone going so young that looked so full of life and health.

Master Ghaleon
09-29-2013, 01:48 AM
RIP Glenn

hellebeest
09-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Seems I'm logging in again because another member has passed away, first Dark Nation now Glenn the Great and at such a young age.
Again not just any member, but one Greately known.... R.I.P.

MasterSwordUltima
09-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Agreed. I always considered him a proud individual, like Chris said he was unyielding. Definitely not somebody looking for a way out. Yet at the same time, I have no idea of his real life interactions.

LORD APOCALYPSE
09-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Sad news indeed. Pretty sure he was the first person I spoke to when I first joined, a lifetime ago almost.

Even now when I see the old frog artwork for Cronotrigger, I remember him, and this forum, despite not knowing him.

RIP sir, a true knight.

Fiyerstorm
09-29-2013, 10:25 PM
It saddens me to see such a young life lost and I will always cherish and remember him for his kindness toward me for over the course of the time knowing him. I'm sure from this decade of being part of this community we have shared laughs in IRC or on the forums, the occasional Like on Facebook, or hell, even when he sent me lives on Candy Crush was cool. It was just nice knowing that I had an acquaintance that I've known such a long time considering how I have trouble keeping in touch with people. He really was a great guy and I will remember him as a cornerstone to this community and to the projects he's participated in. RIP good sir.

(Lilith, everything you wrote was beautiful and I know how much he meant to you cause I too was merely a young teenager back then looking for a place to fit in and I found that with being friends with people like you, MrCow, Glenn, and others. <3)

Tim
09-30-2013, 12:35 AM
I hate getting bad news when I get back from weekend getaways. :(

It's really disheartening to hear news such as this. May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family, and all he considered friends.

DarkDragon
09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
When I heard that earlier last weekend that he had gone missing, I hoped for the best... this is indeed very sad news. Glenn always struck me as a brilliant and dedicated man... may he rest in peace :-/

MasterSwordUltima
09-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Hmm, it definitely will be bizarre to play Chrono Trigger again, that's for certain.

Phazite
09-30-2013, 11:19 PM
To be honest, I thought, and truly hoped that this was only a joke thread. Though I never really knew him (me being much more of a lurker than a poster on this forum), it just seems so strange and unreal that he's gone. This news came out of no where...

I am very sorry for you too, Lilith. And to his family and those who knew him personally.

stormwatcheagle
10-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Holy shit.

Glenn is one of those guys who was just such a pillar of the community, you'd always figured he'd be around. I haven't really been here in nearly a decade it feels like, and I still remember Glen butting heads with admins, or running the knight's templar. It's surreal to here he's gone. I don't know what to say, guys. I know I don't really hang out here anymore, but my condolences for your loss and to his family.

Dechipher
10-04-2013, 12:08 AM
I've actually thought about this a bit every day since CAD told me. It's a surreal thing - to know someone who has passed, but it's also someone that you don't "know".

It's weird to me that I would have much feeling about this, but the more I think about it, it makes sense that it would be more than just a "Oh that's a shame". I never want to be one of those phonies who pretend that they care because they're supposed to seem like they do and I certainly don't want to make this about me at all. But it's actually a really sad thing that has happened. I think a few people hit the nail on the head about Glenn being a pillar, Glenn seeming sort of "AGN Eternal". I think that "shenanigans" is a very fitting send-off for him - that was always his reputation. Not really anything malicious, just shenanigans. And that's really a perfect description of what we do here at AGN. I liked interacting with Glenn because I think he wouldn't really take it seriously ever. He was someone I could push and he'd push back, but it wasn't a big deal. So that was fun.

I guess I've known Glenn for 12 years or so? It's all jumbly, those early years I was more or less just obtaining consciousness anyway. I've "known" Glenn longer than most people in my life. So my two words are surreal, and shenanigans.

That's how I feel. I don't believe in any sort of afterlife, and it's times like this that I wish I did. I hope there is some sort of something, and that a tragic, awful ending isn't the end for Glenn. And I hope that they find whomever was responsible, if that is an applicable situation.
And Queenie, what you wrote was moving. Keep writing.

EDIT: JESUS I submitted my post and when the page refreshed Stormwatcheagles crazy ass signature popped up. Cool it with that thing, man :)

ShadowTiger
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
It's what Glenn would have wanted; for us to rave on.

... ... and rave on, we shall.

I would probably feel a lot worse about it if I didn't believe in an afterlife of sorts, but beliefs are funny like that. People who believe in reincarnation tend to celebrate death rather than mourn it. Get in, learn what you need to, get out and go home, and do it all again.

I wonder what he's learned from all of us before his life was completed.

Radium
10-06-2013, 01:44 PM
RIP Glenn!

Rafnul
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
RIP Glenn.

I've been tied up for a few weeks and I just heard the news. I'll just share a few thoughts in memory of him.

My interactions and knowledge of Glenn were limited to a period of time around 10-14 years ago, when I was just beginning to learn about the world. Because of the strength of his personality, Glenn helped open a new world of ideas to me. He presented himself so well online - at least for the standards at the time, that I couldn't help but hang on his every word as if he had something wonderful to say.

A lot of the things Glenn said during that span of time were things I wasn't ready to hear. About atheism, especially. But he was so well-spoken, I couldn't discount him completely. Over the years I have thought very carefully about some of the things he said in many of the more intellectual discussions on this forum, and I can say now that he was integral to my development. Without him, I would be more ignorant than I am now. Without him, I would be less understanding than I am now. Without him, I would be less than I am now. Thank you, Glenn, for being a part of my life and taking the time to share your mind with all of us.

Deviance
10-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I was just informed about this today. Makes me reflect on some of my past actions how I treated Glenn years ago. (me blowing up his hyrulefantasy site) But besides the major issues him and I had he was always a decent guy to talk to. Very lively no matter what bullshit he was going through. You are going to be missed Glenn. See ya on the other side man.

KJAZZ
10-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Seems I'm logging in again because another member has passed away, first Dark Nation now Glenn the Great and at such a young age.
Again not just any member, but one Greately known.... R.I.P.

It's terrible... I like to pop in here a couple times every year to see what's up, and nothing but a lot of sadness as of late. Glenn and I only talked a handful of times over the years, but he was a genuinely cool guy and was absolutely a pillar of the community. I wish the best to his friends and family.

Blanka
10-09-2013, 04:15 AM
I never had the pleasure of meeting Glenn, but I'm sure that he was a good person and a valued member.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t426/kokolovich/myphoto_zps7a3bc90b.gif

ZTC
10-11-2013, 10:01 PM
what the fuck? I just literally found out about this and wow...first time in a while since I've cried that hard. He was one of the first few people that I really interacted with on here back in the day and found out I got along with him decently well. We talked somewhat often on AIM, and sometimes on TS about various stuff. From there he happened to get me into Final Fantasy, emulation...and even when I helped cause trouble with him and got kicked out from here a few times, he gave advice with running a community while we worked on that hyrule fantasy stuff. Now to some it may not seem like much, but it gave me a passion for interacting and even running communities (which I still do to this day). Yeah we turned from friends to enemies, but it turned back to friends again after time.

He was one of my friends that helped me while I was still getting around on the internet and was a influence on my life. I will really miss him. It's a shame that I will never be able to tell him that in this lifetime ._.

Dashie
10-15-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't know who is Glenn the Great, but I feel sorry for him that he is passed away. I wish I get know him very well.

rock_nog
10-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I... I don't even know what to say. Yeah, I know he could be a real asshole, but in my younger days, I really looked up to the guy. I should have replied earlier, but I guess part of me wanted to believe that I had just imagined the whole thing. I hate to admit it, but I think this is the first time a death I found out about online has really gotten to me. Yeah, when you're part of online forums, when you interact with dozens of people, death is sure to come up, but then again, often there are so many people that are part of a community that it's hard to connect to any one of them. Not saying that Glenn and I were BFFs or anything, but he had such a strong personality that he stood out from the crowd in my mind. Well, I guess I don't have much else to add, other than that wherever he is now, in whatever state he is, assuming some part of him still exists, I would like for him to know that despite everything, plenty of people cared about him, and plenty of people miss him now.