PDA

View Full Version : damn laptop

SUCCESSOR
09-19-2013, 09:53 PM
It won't turn on for some reason. I can't afford a new one yet. I really don't want to take this thing apart. Maybe if I throw it against the wall...

Phazite
09-19-2013, 10:31 PM
How old is it and what brand?

SUCCESSOR
09-19-2013, 10:47 PM
How old is it and what brand?

Compaq presario 2004

ctrl-alt-delete
09-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Reflow possible, bricked motherboard at worst.

What happens when you try to turn it on? If it literally does nothing, probably the latter. If it powers up and doesn't do much else, probably the former.

A. Reseat the ram. Then try a single stick in each slot. Then the other stick.

B. If that doesn't work and you don't want to take it apart and it DOES power up without coming on, turn it on. Open it up. Put a heating pad beneath the laptop. Then wrap a blanket around the heating pad and keyboard. Cook it for thirty minutes or so, power it down, and turn it back on. If that doesn't work, you can try baking it with a towel wrapped around it.

Taking them apart is easier than you think.

CJC
09-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Bummer, dude. When this netbook was dying the first time it gave me fair warning in the form of incorrect Windows launches every other boot, so I had the chance to back up all my important things before gutting and reviving it. I hope you're able to recover something from your device.

SUCCESSOR
09-21-2013, 04:31 AM
I'm pretty sure the motherboard failed. I'm sure the HDD is fine. Looking like it'll be at least a week before I even have a chance to get something new even an old clunker.

MasterSwordUltima
09-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Try turning it off then back on again.

In hindsight - we are some of the biggest assholes here when it comes to helping each other out. I love it

SUCCESSOR
09-22-2013, 03:00 PM
In hindsight - we are some of the biggest assholes here when it comes to helping each other out. I love it

You can make up for it by sending me a computer.

Mercy
09-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Did you check to see if it is plugged in? I keed, I keed. Sort of. You did not answer ctrl-alt-delete so it is unclear if there are any signs of life. Do check your power supply. Let's just say I have had experience with a "dead" laptop that turned out to be merely a fried power supply.

MasterSwordUltima
09-23-2013, 08:11 AM
You can make up for it by sending me a computer.

I'm not trying to make up for it, especially when being an asshole is the goal. :smoke:

SUCCESSOR
10-04-2013, 12:51 AM
God it's good to have a computer again. That is, not one with a jacked up keyboard and no harddrive. It's a temp but atleast I can access my stuff.