PDA

View Full Version : I'm new around here

GrantGreif
09-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I just started on this website, but I've had Zelda Classic for about a month now, and I think I've gotten the hang of the basics of the quest editor. However, I do have a few questions about things that I'd like to put in my quest.
These questions are mostly about buttons. Namely, I've noticed that there are a total of 10 keyboard buttons (not counting directions) that are listed under the "controls" tab in the ZC pause menu, although ZQ only allows you to create button items for A and B. I was wondering how you assign functions to the remaining 8 buttons. I was also wondering if it was possible to lock certain items into buttons besides the sword into the A button. I don't really like to use scripts (mostly because I don't understand them at all) so if there is a way to do this without them it would be preferred.
Also, I've noticed that if you set Link's animation style to "Zelda 3" and use the default Link tiles labeled "Z3 NO SHIELD" it skips the last tile in the row and jumps back to the first.

One thing I forgot: How do you change the number of hearts in a row on the subscreen?

CJC
09-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Well I don't know about the Z3 animation, but to extend the number of heart containers in a row you need to go into the subscreen editor and make duplicates of the heart container slots already in place (or create a new object, but duplication is easier). You must then rearrange them in the array you desire and set their numbers to be correct. Go in order from HC 1 through HC 24 (or however many you will allow), making sure no number is repeated (because if it is, then the object will track the same heart and both will be depleted simultaneously).

To make this process easier, go to Init Data and set the starting hearts to whatever maximum you intend, so that all of these heart containers are visible to work with.

GrantGreif
09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you very much!

I still can't seem to figure out how to assign items to the EX buttons, though

Binx
09-02-2013, 11:15 AM
As far as I know, it can only be done with scripting. The engine has no need for the EX buttons on its own, it's Z1 clone, after all.

SUCCESSOR
09-02-2013, 04:42 PM
As far as I know, it can only be done with scripting. The engine has no need for the EX buttons on its own, it's Z1 clone, after all.

This is true. The Ex1-4 buttons exist only to be taken advantage of through scripting. They have no built in functionality. As far as I know L and R only serve to change the selected B item when the "Can select A & B items" rule is off. When that rule is enable I am pretty sure they do nothing. Basically for built in items you are limited to using A & B.

Zim
09-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Check out the ZC Wiki at http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki/ZScript for scripting info.