PDA

View Full Version : [5th Quest Entry] Nightmare

Nightmare
08-30-2013, 09:36 PM
It's been no secret, I've been sitting on this for about 2 weeks, just changed the Overworld, and it's done.

Video playlist (for those who want to judge and don't have much time): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZg6iQHFIdmjZfOnxdBFunPKBaUoN6JUO
Original Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/5thnightmare.zip
Final version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/5thnightmare-final.zip
Demo tiles version is now taken down due to the quest going final, sorry guys.

As an overall note, I was relatively disgusted by the way the 4th Quest deviated from the Zelda 1 formula too much and went to design a mostly hardcore quest with a few new changes. I accentuated the new flags, put in Golden Rupee items, and added a few new items and enemies here and there (say hello to sword-throwing Darknuts!). I also went for large dungeon sizes over small to challenge the player and see how they do over the long run.

Enjoy!

-James

CJC
08-31-2013, 02:55 PM
I've started in on this and played through the first dungeon. My only concern is the Digdogger I was unable to battle at this point. Did I miss the whistle or am I supposed to come back later?

Nightmare
08-31-2013, 05:23 PM
You're supposed to come back later. You didn't miss anything.

-James

CJC
09-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Overworld bug: The classic screen to Level 3 still leads to Level 3. In fact, it's using the original warp criteria. That's not the entrance to Level 3, though, so you end up stuck in a wall. Can be fixed by changing the warp type, most likely.

Nightmare
09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Found and fixed.

Nightmare
09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Updated. Fixed the Lv. 3 bug hopefully.

CJC
09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Finished Dungeon 2 (thanks for the pointer about the white sword), started Dungeon 3, but had to stop. I'll try to play more tomorrow.

Nightmare
09-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Fixed the Lv. 2 bug. Moving on!

Joki81
09-29-2013, 02:46 PM
So is there a help thread? I cant believe Im stuck on level 1!

Nightmare
09-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Right here, where are you stuck?

-James

Joki81
09-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Right here, where are you stuck?

-James

Actually, I just finished level 1. I now have to find level 2.

Also, found the white sword, but need an extra heart container... Are there any freebies around?

Plus... I keep dying... please tell me there is a secret shop i can buy the blue ring at!

Nightmare
09-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Level 2 is where a familiar level was in the 1st Quest. Use a different method of opening the entrance. As the clue says "Old Secrets Die Hard."

If you're looking for free Hearts, go into 2, get the Blue Candle, and go searching in the Lost Woods. :)

Blue Ring isn't avaiable until Level 4'ish, and it's not in a shop anymore.

-James

Joki81
09-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Level 2 is where a familiar level was in the 1st Quest. Use a different method of opening the entrance. As the clue says "Old Secrets Die Hard."

If you're looking for free Hearts, go into 2, get the Blue Candle, and go searching in the Lost Woods. :)

Blue Ring isn't avaiable until Level 4'ish, and it's not in a shop anymore.

-James

Nope, still cant find level 2...

Its not where level 1 is... all there is there is a tree. Its not where level 2 is... all there is a pond... Its not where level 3 is.. theres a shop. Its not where level 5 is... thats a fairy... Its not where level 6 is... theres an empty room.

On the plus side, I found level 4 in the graveyard... but Im not going in there just yet...

Any chance you can be a little more specific where level 2 is?

Nightmare
09-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, you can't access Lv. 4 and 7, they're still blocked off. Did you try 8? And it's not by whistling or using candles. You need to find a new way to get in (which I'm not telling)

-James

Joki81
09-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Chop!

Great... Now Im stuck in level 2... Wall of bushes....

Ahhhhhh.... which tree do I burn for free stuff?

NVM found it!

Level 3 now...

really need to find that power bracelet...

CJC
09-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Found a problem.

Level 3 Room 70 (lower left corner of the map, past the two-head Gleeok)

There's a room with three perma-item jinx bubbles and a L2 Push block that reveals stairs. The stairs lead to an empty item room (I think you intended a passageway).

Nightmare
09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Fixed. Check first post.

-James

Joki81
09-30-2013, 05:22 AM
Found a problem.

Level 3 Room 70 (lower left corner of the map, past the two-head Gleeok)

There's a room with three perma-item jinx bubbles and a L2 Push block that reveals stairs. The stairs lead to an empty item room (I think you intended a passageway).

Oh man, these guys are real hard ass Zelda players to find all these bugs.... I cant even find the power bracelet!

Joki81
09-30-2013, 09:31 AM
I think Ive found a bug now too... In level 3. In the room to the north of the blue hydra, once youve killed all the enemies... you can push the bottom right block... but nothing happens!

Still no sign of the power bracelet tho! \just seems as though theres no way of progressing...

Nightmare
09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Scrrenshot?

-James

Joki81
09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Scrrenshot?

-James

http://postimg.org/image/685b59j9t/

I still cant find where Im going in this level... any hints on what I have to do!

CJC
09-30-2013, 05:28 PM

I still cant find where Im going in this level... any hints on what I have to do!

Remember that room you encountered with the four shutters? It's pretty close to the entrance, actually. If you go north, the old man (In Zelda 1 that character's name is Abei) will tell you that strange enemies hold the secret. This is the hint. When progressing in the direction you can travel without the bracelet (which is currently the only direction you can travel) you will encounter a room with rabbits (Pol's Voice), knights (Darknuts), and some other kind of enemy (can't remember which). Note the solitary bush in the corner of this room.

Do NOT fight the enemies. Instead, avoid them and burn the bush with your blue candle. The Power Bracelet is within.

Joki81
09-30-2013, 06:11 PM
When progressing in the direction you can travel without the bracelet (which is currently the only direction you can travel) you will encounter a room with rabbits (Pol's Voice), knights (Darknuts), and some other kind of enemy (can't remember which). Note the solitary bush in the corner of this room.

Which direction is this in? Cant find the room... From the old man, what are the directions? Yep, thats where Im going wrong... Cant find that room!

CJC
09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Which direction is this in? Cant find the room... From the old man, what are the directions? Yep, thats where Im going wrong... Cant find that room!

From the room with the Vires (immediately south of the room with the old man)...
[Get the ladder first. If you do not have it yet, I'll walk you through that in a subsequent post]

Push block to go East, Bomb North, Travel North, Clear room and go West, Use ladder then clear room and go North, burn bush in corner.

Nightmare
09-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Updated again.

Joki81
10-01-2013, 04:30 AM
From the room with the Vires (immediately south of the room with the old man)...
[Get the ladder first. If you do not have it yet, I'll walk you through that in a subsequent post]

Push block to go East, Bomb North, Travel North, Clear room and go West, Use ladder then clear room and go North, burn bush in corner.

Nope, dont have the ladder yet! Thats why I'm stuck! Where do I find it?

I got the clue about secrets being where fairies live, but have found nothing at the fairy locations... must be missing something obvious?

So where is the ladder then? Been searching all day for it... no luck...

CJC
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
So where is the ladder then? Been searching all day for it... no luck...

Okay, from the room with the old man, go east and then continue going north as much as you can. Eventually you will reach a room with ponds on both sides. Press against the north wall and you will pass through it. Clearing THIS room reveals a staircase which (as I can remember it) holds the ladder.

Joki81
10-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi guys,

Found another bug... This time in the over world... See screenshot.... http://postimg.org/image/bi57t4qb5/ Leads to an old woman who says nothing...

And yet another old woman who says nothing.... http://postimg.org/image/4cm6z6zqf/145dda8b/

Im still stuck in level 3 tho... cant find the boss key... Any hints would be appreciated!

Nightmare
10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Left side of the dungeon, look for a room with a Blue Wizzrobe to find the Boss Key.

The one was a bug, but generally, you need the Letter to get the Old Woman to say something.

-James

Joki81
10-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Left side of the dungeon, look for a room with a Blue Wizzrobe to find the Boss Key.

The one was a bug, but generally, you need the Letter to get the Old Woman to say something.

-James

I cant access the top left of level 3's map. Is there a route I need to follow?

Nightmare
10-02-2013, 07:21 PM

You don't need to access the top part of the map to get to the key It's on the left, follow the long path.

-James

CJC
10-02-2013, 09:03 PM

In the eve of the 'V' you can see once you acquire the map, there's a walk-through wall.

Nightmare
Level 4 is too hard. And it's not fun hard. :cowsleep:

There are too many necessary shutter doors, the enemies are MUCH too harsh for players that do not yet have access to a blue ring, and once you get through the key door YOU GET STUCK! There's a room with three darknuts and a row of graves; I've killed them and tried both pushing every grave and blowing the whistle... nothing.

My recommendation: Remove some of the shutter doors or, better yet, make the Old Man's hint actually useful: place "Push-No Wait" blocks instead of "Push-Wait" blocks and have the shutters triggered in that manner, so players can advance without fighting the enemies (that would make this dungeon fun).

EDIT: Found Blue Ring, argument still stands (since you need the Whistle to get it). Also, you forgot to check 'Hold up Item' in that room... unless you meant it to be like picking up the Boomerang.

Nightmare
10-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Bomb the Graves where you can't get past, just as in Lv. 9 of New Quest.

If it's really that much of a problem I'll put in the cracked blocks to tip it off.

-James

Gleeok
10-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Level 4 wasn't too hard I don't think. You just have to be in heart conservation mode as with any long linear sequences.

I'm also a firm believer that in "fighting in the forefront" quests the red candle should be given before it's completely useless.

CJC
10-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Couldn't find the boss key for dungeon 4, going in search of Level 5.

Nightmare
10-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Couldn't find the boss key for dungeon 4, going in search of Level 5.

Whistle While You Work! And a Whistle While You Work! And a Whistle While You Whistle While You Whistle While You Work!

Joki81
10-03-2013, 03:55 AM
You don't need to access the top part of the map to get to the key It's on the left, follow the long path.

-James

I just cant find it... Ive found the money or your life room. Just keep hitting dead ends...

Can someone give me a room by room guide from the money or your life room?

If not, no worries, my copy of the Windwaker HD should be arriving today... Will abandon this quest for something easier...

Nightmare
10-03-2013, 01:05 PM
I just cant find it... Ive found the money or your life room. Just keep hitting dead ends...

Can someone give me a room by room guide from the money or your life room?

If not, no worries, my copy of the Windwaker HD should be arriving today... Will abandon this quest for something easier...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZg6iQHFIdmjZfOnxdBFunPKBaUoN6JUO

If THIS don't help you I don't know what will.

-James

Joki81
10-03-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZg6iQHFIdmjZfOnxdBFunPKBaUoN6JUO

If THIS don't help you I don't know what will.

-James

Thank you ! You're a life saver! Quite literally!

Joki81
10-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Whats the purple rupee on the inventory screen and how do I get it?

CJC
10-05-2013, 12:12 AM
I think the purple rupee is the small wallet, which limits your total to 255. Either that, or it might be a bug.

After much toil and a lot (LOT) of luck, I managed to acquire the Letter. Let's see if I can finish Dungeon 5.

Nightmare
10-05-2013, 12:38 AM
The Flashing Rupee is the Large Wallet and boosts your money to 999. Screen north of old Power Bracelet in the 1st Quest, move an Armos.

-James

Joki81
10-05-2013, 05:45 AM
I think the purple rupee is the small wallet, which limits your total to 255. Either that, or it might be a bug.

After much toil and a lot (LOT) of luck, I managed to acquire the Letter. Let's see if I can finish Dungeon 5.

I found level 5 too difficult, so after getting the bow went into level six for the upgraded power bracelet... Got the extra heart container next to level 8... then got the level 3 sword... Now level 5s easier.

My copy of the windwaker hd has also arrived, so doubt I'm gonna have time to finish this quest... but thanks for all your help guys.

Nightmare
10-05-2013, 09:39 AM

I found level 5 too difficult, so after getting the bow went into level six for the upgraded power bracelet... then got the level 3 sword... Now level 5s easier.

My copy of the windwaker hd has also arrived, so doubt I'm gonna have time to finish this quest... but thanks for all your help guys.

Well, as you might have guessed by now, Level 5 is a test. If you are playing all the Z1 quests made by either AGN or Nintendo, by the time you get to Level 5 you should know a bit about challenge running Zelda quests by the time you get there. The enemy sets are for the most part familiar as I took them out of Level 8 of the First Quest, with a few new wrinkles among other things. It's kind of where I start to separate the "men from the boys."

Level 1, show we have an enemy editor
Level 2, do you remember how to play Level 7 of the First Quest and Level 8 of the Second Quest, with far fewer Hearts
Level 3, once again featuring the enemy editor, bringing out powered versions of Zols and Keese.
Level 4, try to be a little more creative here, as 2 had the old Goriya feels.
Level 5, I'm not fucking around. We're going to find out if you're good now and can earn the right to see newer enemies and things.

Joki81, nice one. I didn't think of pulling that one in tests, as I'm perfectly able to kill Blue Darknuts easily with the White Sword. With the Magic Sword it should be relatively trivial to kill Level 5 as the Blue Darknuts should drop more life than you lose. Keep playing, I wish you luck. Kudos. I see someone has played the Second Quest and remembers the Ladder break-in trick.

-James

CJC
10-05-2013, 03:29 PM
It's kind of where I start to separate the "men from the boys."
Well guess what! I passed your little test! : P

Found Level 6, going to try and get the item quick so I can fetch the Magic Sword (since the batrobe was a nightmare). ...I suppose I should also actually LOOK for the Magic Sword.

sctmorgan
10-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Can someone lead me in the direction of level 2. I can't finish level 5 & 6 without the whistle. Since I haven't been to level 2 I'm assuming the whistle is there.

Joki81
10-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Can someone lead me in the direction of level 2. I can't finish level 5 & 6 without the whistle. Since I haven't been to level 2 I'm assuming the whistle is there.

Check where level 8 was in the 1st quest.

sctmorgan
10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Check where level 8 was in the 1st quest.

hmmmm...Can't remember where level 8 was in the 1st quest. It's been a while and I've played other quests since then. :crushed:

Joki81
10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
hmmmm...Can't remember where level 8 was in the 1st quest. It's been a while and I've played other quests since then. :crushed:

From the start in the over world, go 4 screens east, 1 screen north, and 2 screens east. Thats level 8 from quest 1.

CJC
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Whistle is in level 4, in the lower right leg of the 'x'.

Level 2 is in the green forest east of start. You need to stab a bush to reveal the entrance. It's sort of sticking out, blocking a path as it is... it's also geographically close to the 1st quest's level 2 entrance (One screen east and a few screens south).

sctmorgan
10-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much for the help...but I have to say my quest is different. I can't recall when I downloaded the quest but the filename is 5thquest.qst.

bigboylink
11-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Very fun quest to play and a solid contender for the winner (I do anticipate having time to play through all of the entries). My playtime for this quest was 13 hours with 19 deaths (and a bunch of restarts).

Some quick bugs/errors to report:

(1) Level 7 - In the room one east of the triforce room, pushing the block does not make a stairway appear.
(2) Similar bug - in level 5, four screens west of the triforce, pushing the block does not make a stairway appear. So if you missed the boss key, you're forced to quit/continue.
(3) Similar bug in level 9 - in the room one north + one east of the entrance.
(4) Another moving block bug in level 9 - 3 rooms east of the top-left corner, after killing the manhandla, pushing the block does not make a stairway appear.
(5) I think someone else already pointed these out but I still experienced them on the most recent download - (a) there's nothing on the Quest1-Level6 screen. (b) Entering the cave on the screen of Quest1-Level2 gets you stuck in level 3.
(6) In level 6, the string "west of old letter two" is repeated from earlier. This isn't a bug, but its existence seemed unintentional.
(7) On the "old letter two" screen, the stairway that appears is a black tile.

Here are some suggestions for improvement. Most of these are minor and don't detract too much from the quest.

(1) It wasn't obvious to me that the Moblin giving you the big wallet was actually giving you the big wallet. He only says "Mo money, mo money"; that combined with the item tile being a purple rupee led me to infer that the Moblin was in fact giving me rupees. Since I had close to 255 rupees at the time, I didn't pick up the item, since I wanted to save it for any possible later purchases. All of that said, I really like the addition of having the big wallet in this quest (and its use in levels 7-8).
(2) In level 7, -=SPOILER=-
(3) In level 1, before getting the sword it wasn't obvious to me that there was a stairway in the dark room with the Aquamentus.
(4) The stalfos sword beams only give 1 heart of damage; why not the original two hearts?
(5) I'm having a hard time trying to decide if the quest should lose "NES-authenticity" points for having bushes and graves in dungeons. Having to bomb the column of graves in level 4 felt even less intuitive and less "NES-authentic". I'm wondering if your string "Rules wre meant to be broken" might ruffle some feathers.
(6) Regarding level 9 - -=SPOILER=-

(7) Another level 9 spoiler - -=SPOILER=-

PS - What does the "x" clue in the waterfall indicate? I wasn't able to figure that out.

Again, this is all-in-all a solid quest. I really like the use of yellow/purple bubbles, especially with dodongos. The modifications to the overworld enemies are thoughtful (red tektikes with more health, blue moblins giving slightly more damage). Dungeon design is superb, seriously; levels 7 and 8 were very fun to play. Late-game goriyas that are immune to the boomerang is a great touch.

Playing these quests has gotten me nostalgic for the early ZC quests. This is a shot in the dark, but here goes - does anyone have links to the 3rd quest entries for Glenn the Great and TSA? (can't find any links on Pure nor zeldaclassic.com).

Sorry for the long-ish post; I hope you find it constructive and useful.

Nightmare
11-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Well, with Glenn dead, it's going to be hard to get his 3rd, but this project is combining his Unofficial 4th with a small tribute to DN:

http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&id=94

If you're interested in playing some stuff.

TSA fell off the map ever since SDA discovered he was segmenting runs and video editing them. I have not seen him.

-James

Nightmare
11-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Edit: Changed the bugs, and made an update to the candles. The Blue Candle now is unlimited, the red does more damage and opens Level 9.

I can always take this out if I get bitched at, but I wonder if this will make some people happier :: cough :: Gleeok :: cough ::

-James

Nightmare
11-02-2013, 08:47 PM
I am testing a new version starting later tonight:

I have:
1. Made a new enemy group for Level 4. It's not on the NES, but it's the "Undead Enemy Group" featuring Stalfos, Gibdos, and Ghinis as its main features.
2. I have removed all the bushes in dungeons. Have fun with the bomb blocks in their places.
3. Cleaned up some random enemy groups in certain areas so they conform better, left Lv. 6's Darknuts on purpose so you have something to refill Hearts with there since I can't adjust floating Wizzrobe firing rates.

I'll hopefully be posting this before the deadline, but I want to run through and make sure none of the tile overhaul left residue bugs.

-James

Gleeok
11-03-2013, 03:50 AM
If you're changing stuff around still: My biggest irk was the quantity of linear paths in dungeons, which works well for new quest but not as much an NES quest [where there are a lot of rooms *cough].

I think I mentioned all that stuff to you a while back but at the time you weren't changing anything.

Nightmare
11-03-2013, 09:28 AM
If you're changing stuff around still: My biggest irk was the quantity of linear paths in dungeons, which works well for new quest but not as much an NES quest [where there are a lot of rooms *cough].

I think I mentioned all that stuff to you a while back but at the time you weren't changing anything.

That I see no reason to: Most people seem to like my dungeons so far with the exception of 5.

BTW, changed the Candle thing to a Gold Candle. CJC and I found a workaround for the Blue Candle thing. You'll enjoy this one Gleeok.

-James

Nightmare
11-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Updated

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90050799/5thnightmare.zip

1. Blue, Red, and Gold Candles now. All behave as Candles do in Zelda, though the Gold does more damage and opens a secret
2. Forest and Graves taken out of the Underworld. :( I really thought they added a touch, but this did not go over well, so they're gone. Have fun with the Bomb Blocks in their place.
3. Blue Like-Likes adjusted so that they eat Rupees at a more threatening pace and they're not so wimpy.
4. Ganon's HP doubled, he takes 8 hits (I will not boost him more, you don't have a Master Sword in this quest).

The only thing bothering me is that 9 is still kinda easy. Do you think I should buff the enemies more?

-James

zcfan27330
11-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I beat it, but maybe on a older version. Had to watch some youtube to get things.

Nightmare
11-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Fixed some bugs.

Please redownload.

-James

CJC
12-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Nightmare
01-10-2014, 09:03 AM
http://youtu.be/qm3M7AeWzPk

For those having trouble pulling the Letter without the Magic Sword, I won't mention any names CJC and justin1

-James

Coyotek4
01-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Playing through this quest now (as I got stuck on Scootaloo's quest in Level 7).

The "It's a Secret ..." message is missing in one of the Rupee rooms. Specifically,
-=SPOILER=-

In Level 5, it's possible to get stuck in a room with no means of escape. I don't like when that can happen.

In Level 7,
-=SPOILER=-

Found all 5 OVW HCs, blue ring, magic sword, still trying to figure out how to get through all of Level 7.

Not sure if there is a Gold Candle, but I haven't seen one yet. Also no sign of money-draining Like-Likes. Finally, not sure where Level 9 is, though I have a hunch.

Coyotek4
01-12-2014, 12:04 AM
7 must be my unlucky number: for the 2nd straight quest, I'm completely stymied as to how to complete Level 7.

Tried bombing every conceivable wall, blew the whistle everywhere, pushed on blocks and walls ... nothing works.

Here's what I do have so far:

-=SPOILER=-

I could use a hint here.

Nightmare
01-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Look for little targets on the walls, I think Silver Arrows agree with them very much.....

-James

Coyotek4
01-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Jeez, that's subtle. Well, can't argue with that. (Will finish the Level, and possibly the quest, tomorrow.)

CJC
01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
You might want to change the graphic to an eyeball instead of a dot to make the puzzle more obvious. I originally thought it was a projectile error on the wall.

Coyotek4
01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
OK then, finished this quest. Time for my thoughts.

This is only the 6th quest I've completed (still haven't finished the one by Scootaloo), but this is either #1 or #2 for me at this point. (I very much like the one by HeroOfFire as well.)

I love the opening sequence; I would do that myself, given the time to create a quest. The silver Darknuts are deceptively evil, and are on my short list of best new Enemies. The homage to the First Quest at the end is very well done as well.

As for drawbacks:

I think too many of these dungeons are far too linear. I also think there's a lack of creativity with how some levels were stacked with enemies. In particular: nearly every room of Level 7 has the same enemies. Need some more variety there.

Some of the 'new' items, I feel, went to waste. In particular, I would love to have seen more usage out of the new candle. I didn't bother traversing the overworld with it, as I already had everything I needed before Level 9 by then. (In contrast, I like how you needed the new bracelet for some important items.)

Ditto the one 'slow' room at the end. Why not introduce that earlier and get more out of it.

I'm not a fan of having to defeat mini-bosses over and over (the red ones, in this quest). Personal taste, perhaps.

I don't care for how to get into Level 2. Again, personal taste.

Still have no idea as to the significance of the 255-rupee clue, and at that cost, I think more is needed.

What was the deal with the cash items in Level 8? (For that matter, what's the deal with seeing "NO" everywhere?)

All that said, a fun and imaginative quest all around. One of my early favorites for 'official' status. Kudos!

Nightmare
01-12-2014, 04:53 PM
The cash items were put in there to add some more flavor and in a way a miniquest so you wouldn't have to grind 999 Rupees for the Magic Boomerang.

The slow room is something I took out of New Quest 2; however, I have heard complaints about it before out of PZC people in particular, so I saved it for later. I could've used it more probably.

Oh well on Lv. 7's enemies. Part of the idea of keeping the enemies the same was to show them off in more particular detail: Guess you didn't like it so much.

Thanks for playing, and if you have any Let's Play videos or anything, write me on http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames

Thanks.

-James

Coyotek4
01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
The cash items were put in there to add some more flavor and in a way a miniquest so you wouldn't have to grind 999 Rupees for the Magic Boomerang.

I believe you are aware that, upon leaving a Dungeon Level, the OVW resets.

I just perched myself outside the level at the grave, did the once-around each time for roughly 100 rupees, lather-rinse-repeated myself to 999.

Nightmare
01-12-2014, 08:25 PM
I know, they're still there as an anti-grinding technique.

-James

justin1
02-05-2014, 07:15 PM
finally came back to this one. it was one of the first ones i started playing, and it was kicking my ass, so i moved on to other things. i guess playing a lot of the contest entries has upped my skills because it was a breeze when i returned. maybe i should replay the beginning levels, but i'm thinking that the last few levels (7,8,9) were a lot easier than the initial levels. i enjoyed the level design of the later levels a lot more than the initial ones - but overall i found the levels to be very linear. would have liked to see more new enemies in the early levels, you have to wait to end game to see many of them. the biggest takeaway that i'd like to see other quests doing is the minibosses that return - a lot of the contest quests are too easy to just kill the minibosses, go refill potions, and come back and dance through the rest of the level, not yours.

i think a lot of the competitors used the enemy editor a lot more creatively, and their enemies stood out more. your 8-way wizzrobe was a good addition, as were the boomerang resistant enemies. sword throwing darknuts needed to be turned up a notch, others have did them better. but thank god your lvl2 likelikes aren't beasts like some of the others - i wasn't even close to heart attack territory.

obviously, you lost a lot of authenticity points with all the new ideas - slash trees, bomb blocks, armos&trees in dungeons, etc. but the new ideas were fun to play (well, maybe not the slash bush, that was a little esoteric).

difficulty wise, you fall somewhere in the middle, by no means the easier or hardest, but definitely on the harder end of the scale. as mentioned difficulty balance was a bit off, bump up the later levels a bit and you'd be right on the mark.

is your demo version available to public? i wouldn't mind running through it again, and wouldn't mind more flexible rules.

Zweldron
03-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Another quest done. This one was very good in most respects, but unfortunately there are several flaws that ruin the full impact. After reading this thread, I think that the flaws were, in several instances, introduced when the in-dungeon graphics were changed. I'll get to that when I comment on dungeon quality.

The rundown:
Riddler: The clues given in each dungeon, leading to the next, were very well done. With one exception, I always knew where to go next. That exception was dungeon 2. I think the clue to it is from the cave in the bottom row, 6th screen, but that was a bit vague. It implies that a clue from a previous quest needs to be reexamined, but there are so many such clues that it really didn't narrow things down. In fact, I only found the dungeon by accident! That flaw is what gives this a rating of 4/5 here (it would have been at least a 4.5 otherwise)

Difficulty: this was a tricky quest. The creatures were hard, but generally fair, and the difficulty progressed well throughout. Again, only one thing keeps this from being truly great, and that is the tedium factor. In a few dungeons - most notably 8 and 9 - difficult rooms regenerate their creatures. I'm thinking primarily of the level-2-bat-shooting wizrobes, and the gleeok in dungeon 9. When it is likely that you will have to go through these rooms multiple times- either because there are traps sending you back to the start, or the dungeon requires long retraces of the path, having to fight these extra times becomes annoying. again 4/5 in this category.

clever bosses: well, nothing special here. They are, for the most part, simply stronger versions of the original forms. I think the few times that there were other creatures mixed in with the bosses was an interesting touch, but it also makes the bosses seem less boss-like. 2.5/5

interesting enemies: there must have been about 10 types of wizrobes throughout this map. A few modified forms of others, but nothing spectacular. 3/5 here.

dungeon quality: the dungeons were very nicely done- I particularly liked the way dungeon 9 was set up. Some dungeons were better than others in their layout, though. Two dungeons in particular had what I consider major flaws, and these are dungeons 1 and 3, because they can trap you with no way out but to quit. In dungeon 1, it is because of the bombable walls that return when you leave and reenter a room. If you run out of bombs (as I did), you are trapped. In dungeon 3, if you choose the wrong path first, you can get to a room that has a 1-way path in, but requires the ladder to get out; the ladder is found elsewhere in the dungeon, but you can easily go the wrong way. Also, there is the classic trap- a shutter-door room with 3 dodongos. If you don't have sufficient bombs (or just get unlucky with killing those dinos), you can again get stuck here.Note that you cannot assume that creatures that often drop bombs WILL drop them. You should never have a dungeon where you can get stuck.
I mentioned above that there were problems likely introduced when the dungeon graphics were modified. It appears that there were originally boulders within dungeon 6 that required the upgraded bracelet to push. When they were changed to ordinary blocks, there was no longer any reason to try pushing them AFTER getting the bracelet, if you already had tried before. This makes finding some paths very frustrating.
Overall, I can only give a 2/5 for this category, and that is a shame, because the working parts of the dungeons were very good.

overall appearance / NES feel: I think it did very well with this, and it definitely could fit nicely as an "official" 5th quest. 4/5 here.

Overall, I enjoyed the quest, despite the few headaches mentioned above. It gets an overall 3.35 / 5 rating which puts it in the lead out of the 4 contest quests I have played so far.

Nightmare
08-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Batrobe bug squished. Batrobe rooms should no longer spawn more than 8 enemies on the screen at a time.

-James

Nightmare
09-30-2014, 09:59 PM
OK, I have uploaded my final version, as I would like to see it presented when all said and done.

Here is the changelog from the people who played it the first time:

1. A "sweeper" script is now implemented for Batrobes so they play fair.
2. CJC 's Ganon Battle has been consolidated into the final battle room
3. Imzogelmo 's Mini Dodongos have been implemented in two spots: Level 2 and Level 9 (one of which for balance reasons)
4. Some balance changes in Level 2 to make it play more fair and reduce the possibility of getting stuck.

The original version is still available for those who want to play it before the changes were made. The Demo version has now been taken down since I am in the finals.

Check the OP for the download link.

Enjoy people!

-James

MischaPetya
10-01-2014, 10:47 AM
James I can't enter level 2. I'm able to in an older version of the quest but not in the new release can you look in to this.

Nightmare
10-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Ugh, thought this was yours Mischa's, ugh.

Anyway, Lv. 2: You need a "new" way of opening a new secret. Check my YouTube channel if you need help.

-James

Nightmare
10-03-2014, 08:22 AM
OK, I did indeed goof, putting the wrong tree combo there.

FIXED! RE-DOWNLOAD!

-James

COCKBLAZER
10-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Nightmare
your quest is sexay, and so are you

Coyotek4
10-05-2014, 02:39 PM
So, IS bigjoe doing a Let's Play of this quest?

Nightmare
10-05-2014, 03:03 PM
So, IS bigjoe doing a Let's Play of this quest?

Yes, he is.

-James

Coyotek4
10-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Well I decided to play through the 'new' version a 2nd time.

You're still missing the text for the money room where Quest 1's Level 6 is.

Nightmare
10-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Well I decided to play through the 'new' version a 2nd time.

You're still missing the text for the money room where Quest 1's Level 6 is.

Yeah, I saw that.

EDIT: Updated. Now official with the new release. Any bugs let me know.

-James

MischaPetya
10-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Here is the start of my playthrough of this quest.
Parts 1-5
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3KO2xGUvoVvoH2hDA9xul4b684Gu1UsJ

Coyotek4
10-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Was it deliberate that the Level 3 room with the blue Aquamentus was not perfectly symmetric with its tile layout, or a minor error?

Nightmare
10-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Was it deliberate that the Level 3 room with the blue Aquamentus was not perfectly symmetric with its tile layout, or a minor error?

Minor error. I'll look into it.

-James

MischaPetya
10-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Parts 6-10

MischaPetya
10-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Parts 11-15

MischaPetya
10-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Parts 16-19

Nightmare
10-30-2014, 01:59 AM
Nice job getting Wallmastered Mischa. :)

-James

MischaPetya
11-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Parts 20-23

MischaPetya
11-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Parts 24-28

MischaPetya
11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Parts 29-33