PDA

View Full Version : Official 5th Quest Contest

Gleeok
08-23-2013, 06:39 AM
In honor of 2.5 being completed, and the end of a long and arduous development cycle, the Zelda Classic developers would like to start the Official 5th Quest Contest. The idea is simple: To create a fitting quest in the style of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th quests, and quite possibly the final Master quest that ends the series of official Nth quests. This quest, if determined to be the winner, will be packaged as an "official" quest with the next release version of Zelda Classic (Either in an incremental update to 2.5, or 2.6, whichever coincides closest to the end of this contest), playable after completion of the 4th quest or via the use of a password on the save select screen.

Because jman has said this so eloquently, I am simply going to take this direct quote him from the 4th contest (slightly updated):

Well, the idea of this contest is return to that period of time and to return to what made Zelda Classic so alluring in the first place. The idea of taking one of the most beloved games of all time on one of the most beloved game platforms of all time, and being able to put your own spin on it. However, it would be disingenuous to look fondly on the past without looking towards the present and future. Zelda Classic has evolved, and so have the tools to let Zelda fans express themselves in more ways than previously possible. The rules of this contest were developed with these thoughts in mind, allowing one to go back to simpler times while allowing one to draw upon what ZC offers currently.

The goal, simply stated, is to create a quest that accomplishes the same purpose as the 2nd quest in the original Legend of Zelda. However, unlike the 2nd quest, you don't have to strictly adhere to the conventions established for it. Regardless of what you do though, remember that faithfulness to the design philosophy of the original game is a big component on whether your quest is eventually chosen. Anyone can enter.

Although some of the rules may have changed, these past ideals have remained like lingering memories, never changing. Now, let's see a quest fitting for the 5th and final quest! (Because it just might be the last one, so make us proud!)

5th Quest Contest Rules

1) By entering this contest you agree that, if your entry is determined to be the winner, the Zelda Classic development team retains the right to package the quest with all future versions of Zelda Classic, to use the quest and any materials therein for promotional purposes, and to take over bug and error fixing in the quest, now and in the future.

2) The quest may be built with any future-compatible version of Zelda Classic from 2.5 upwards. (This currently includes 2.5, and 2.5.1.)

3) These rules may be subject to change at any time during the course of this contest if deemed necessary.

Quest rules
The following rules may be turned on or off at the quest designers discretion:
"Fast Dungeon Scrolling", "Smooth Vertical Scrolling", "FFC Are Visible While Screen Is Scrolling", "Use Warp Return Points Only", "Invincible Link flickers", "Warps Ignore Arrival X/Y Position When Setting Continue Screen", "Can't push blocks into unwalkable combos", "Push blocks don't move when blocked", "Damage Combos Work On Layers", "Combo cycling on layers", "Scrolling warps don't set the continue point", "Rings affect damage combos", "Multi-directional traps", "Fast Heart refill".

The following rules must be ENABLED: "Items Disappear during hold-up".
All other quest rules must be DISABLED.

Graphics
The original NES Zelda graphical style must remain intact. What this means is that you must use the Classic NES tileset, and are allowed
to create new graphics as long as the changes are minor (judges discretion) and said changes maintain the aesthetic style of the original
game (also judge's discretion).

Shops
You can edit the Shop Types, but shops can't sell "+Max" items (heart containers), Triforce fragments, the big Triforce, the Dust Pile, the Rupee items (?!), Arrow Ammunition or Magic Jars (because the True Arrows / Magic rules are off), and Misc items.
* The same restrictions apply to "Take Only One" Room Types, but they can have "+Max" items in them.
* The same restrictions also apply to Item Drop Sets. Also, Item Drop Sets can't contain items with the "Equipment Item" flag checked.

Enemies
New enemies ARE allowed, and are in fact, mandatory. At least three new enemy types must be introduced. (In the same spirit as 2nd quest which introduced Sword-Stalfos, and Blue/Red Bubbles.) New enemies introduced from the 4th quest are not to be considered "new" and will not count towards this total, or otherwise detract from your own customized creations as well. (You've played the 4th quest, right?)
However, blatant overuse (or otherwise obvious misuse) of the Enemy Editor will likely result in rejection. The goal is to extend the first four quests, not create something completely new. Adding in unedited Death Knights and Octoroks on Crack is probably not a good idea.

Specific Enemy Rules
* No Summoners that can summon bosses, where "bosses" includes the standard bosses, Moldorm, Lanmola and Patra (but not Digdogger Kid). Also, no enemies that split into bosses, and no enemies that grow into bosses.
* Custom bosses (defined as enemies that are not created via the enemy editor) are not allowed.

Items
New items are also allowed provided they are used sparingly and only for good reason. Adding a variant to an existing item is likely okay provided it is in line with NES mechanics. Adding the spin attack, Din's Fire, or a scripted Flamethrower is not okay. Replacing existing items with another item type is not allowed.
Specific Item Rules
* No editing the "Dust Pile" item or the "Big Triforce" item.
* No Bomb Bags. Use the "More Bombs" Room Type exclusively. The only exception is the Magic Bomb Bag which provides endless bombs, which functions like the Magic Key and is allowed.
* Weapons cannot slash, nor produce sparkles.

Overworld
In maintaining consistency with the first four quests, the overworld must remain almost entirely identical to those quests. There may be subtle aesthetic differences (such as changing the entrance of a dungeon to the entrance of a cave) but aside that must be the same.
Note that you are free to rearrange secret entrances, item locations, and cave types to your liking, but any entrances that are NOT secrets must remain in the same place, though of course they don't have to LEAD to the same place. You can change a dungeon entrance into a fairy pool or a whistle->stairs pool, and vice versa. And, of course, you can change First Quest's existing whistle->stairs pool into a fairy pool or an ordinary pool.

Specific Overworld Rules
* One DMap for the overworld. The following DMap flags must be enabled, with all others disabled: "Use Caves...",
"Allow 3-Stair Warp Rooms", "Allow Whistle Whirlwinds", "Special Rooms and Guys are in Caves Only".
* One 3-Stair Warp Ring per quest.
* One Whistle Warp Ring per quest.

Dungeons
Dungeons may be made as large or small as one wants and with any room configuration one wants, but the design of any particular room must be consistent with the first four quests. This means one wall on each side, one door of any type at most situated on a wall. The contents of a particular room are left to the designs of the quest maker, but as with the graphics and added items/enemies, faithfulness to the NES design is paramount. Conveyors may be okay. Large superstructures that require the use of several items to destroy may not.

Specific Dungeon Rules
* One DMap per dungeon level! And all DMap Flags must be disabled for dungeon DMaps.
* The Continue screen must be the dungeon's inner entrance screen.
* The Compass Marker screen must be the Triforce Fragment's screen.
* The Triforce Fragment's screen must warp Link to the dungeon's entrance in the overworld. (This is done by setting Side Warp A, by the way.)
* The statue combos in the dungeon's inner entrance screen and the Triforce Fragment's screen cannot shoot fireballs.
* No "Fall From Ceiling" enemy patterns.
* All dungeon DMaps must be "NES Dungeon". So no Interiors with persistent secrets and non-functioning doors.
* Don't use the "Treat as Interior Room" flag to bypass various limitations of the "NES Dungeon" DMap type, either.
* There must be exactly 9 levels; no more, no less. Each level must have a map and a compass. Each of the first 8 levels must contain at least one preprogrammed boss, one triforce piece, and at least one collectable item. The ninth level must only be accessible by collecting all eight triforce pieces. The boss of level 9 must be Ganon, and the
final goal of level 9, and the quest, is to save Zelda.
* You may use boss keys and boss doors if you like, and it should be noted that usage of these will not detract points from being "NES inconsistent". The 4th had introduced these after all.
* Levels must use one of the NES dungeon palettes, and two or more levels can't use the same palette. Level 9 must use "White/Red".
* One Ganon per quest, and one Zelda per quest.
* A "Level 9 Entrance" screen must appear somewhere in Level 9 between the dungeon entrance and Ganon's screen, and can only be used once.

FFCs and Scripts
FFCs and scripts ARE also allowed (Heck even the first quest uses a script to simulate a bug found in the NES version!) with the following exceptions:
* Scripts may not be used to bypass or otherwise ignore any other contest rules.
* Scripts should be used sparringly.
What is permissible script usage you say? Well, for starters, scripting a giant man-eating plant or a wall that shoots streams of fireballs will not be acceptable. Scripting a door that spawns enemies will likely not be allowed. Adding a script to simulate a puzzle found in 2nd quest where you can only go to the nearest three of four immediate rooms without requiring to fill the room with push blocks might be okay. (honestly, I don't know!)
* Scripts must be available with the quest as a single file, or stored in the internal buffer, and cannot import other script files or headers, the exception to this rule being std.zh. There will also be a file size and line limit that applies to scripts, and must be formatted in a sane manner and not obfuscated in any way. Therefore using any large framework, like ghost.zh for example, is not allowed.

Other
* Link can only use NES-style movement and cannot use any of the 2.5 specific modifications (16x16 Link, big link, etc).
* Sound Effects cannot be changed.
* New music is allowed, provided it is in the general style of the NES, and is either an original composition or an arrangement of an existing Zelda tune and meets the previous criteria.
* The Sub-screen may be edited to accommodate new items but must retain the general structure of the original.
* No string control codes, and no lowercase characters in strings. No DMap Intro strings, and no DMap-specific custom minimaps. And no DMap item disabling!

Judging
* The first round of judging will be performed by judges, entrants, and the community, ideally eliminating all but the top three or four candidates. Picking a winner from the finalists will be handled much in the same way except with much more diligence. Anyone voting for the final quest should have played every entry in it's entirety. Public votes will be tallied and weighed as appropriately by any official judges and developers, and a winner will be decided. Finally, everyone can have a vote!
(Disclaimer: Some possible issues from this method may arise when a very strong 5th candidate does not make the first cut due to being underplayed or unpopular for any unknown or unforeseeable reason. Therefore, in order to maintain complete fairness for all entrants, no entry will be able to lose simply from lack of votes (lack of vote does not also imply non-vote), and judges reserve the right to un-eliminate any quest deemed worthy.)

Other misc. criteria for rejection
* The biggest changes here is obviously the fact that scripting is allowed. I cannot stress enough that you don't want to "over-script" or alter landmark LOZ mechanics in any way, in which case it will be rejected.
* If your quest is too easy it will be rejected.
* If your quest is too hard it will be rejected. (Although I have to note that the hardest entry to date was AlphaDawg's entry... and that won!)

* Note - Rejected quests are not disqualified. If your quest is rejected for one of possible various reasons (also reserved for judges discretion) that doesn't break any obvious rules stated above, you will have an opportunity to fix any problems and resubmit the quest, no questions asked.

For reference of the original NES palette limitations. (Please note that nowhere in the rules does it specifically state that these must be strictly adhered to. This is merely here for reference, and good taste in choosing a level's color palette)
http://l.j-factor.com/zeldaclassic/enemy_limitations.png

Quick-Start Rules Overview
The rules are merely manditory guidelines" (heh, I couldn't resist) to maintain an NES aesthetic quest. Because ZC has become incredibly more flexible over the years in what can be modified from the original Legend of Zelda, so too have the guidelines for how not to over modify it. Essentially what you can do is start with any one of the existing proposed or example 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quests, alter a few quest rules to your liking and then just start building, using that as your base, in the style of the previous quests. Overworld layouts should not be altered, and dungeons should be NES styled and themed. Remember, it's not a "custom" quest contest, it's a 5th quest contest! Use common sense and consult the rules when in doubt.

All entries must be submitted by October "5th" 2013 at Midnight (PST, EST, or even Arctic Standard Time, doesn't matter - I'll be sleeping late). Entries must be submitted in qst or zip form and may be passworded at the quest maker's discretion.

And that should be all of it. Good Luck!

Gleeok
08-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Also, here is an old build with the proposed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quests: http://www.shardstorm.com/zc/alphas/1226-windows.zip

SUCCESSOR
08-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Nice work! I am so happy this has been announced. The anticipation was killing me. Completely serious. I am excited for this contest!

Now to try to fester up will to work on my entry.

CJC
08-24-2013, 11:02 PM
70% done with my entry. I think we should set up a submission drop-box for this like we did for Screen of the Week.

EDIT:

playable after completion of the 4th quest or via the use of a password on the save select screen.
Shouldn't completion of EITHER 3rd quest OR 4th quest lead to 5th, since the quests fork anyway?

Gleeok
08-25-2013, 12:56 AM
70% done with my entrant. I think we should set up a submission drop-box for this like we did for Screen of the Week.
EDIT:
Shouldn't completion of EITHER 3rd quest OR 4th quest lead to 5th, since the quests fork anyway?
It's a little early for submissions. If people want feedback or beta testing this early they can handle that through the normal channels.

[The Submissions Office Hours: Mon-Fri 12:37 - 12:39 A.M, Sep. 20 - Oct. 5] :P

Could probably set it up so that if you beat the 3rd with under 10 deaths it will lead to the 5th. (assuming the 5th will be decently challenging that is!) Otherwise I'm not sure. Probably depends on the quest.

Orithan
08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Wait... are the entries due in October rather than November? I'm a bit confused by what was posted on Pure.

Gleeok
08-27-2013, 02:51 AM
That was a stupid typo, so yes. The general consensus was that 4 weeks is not enough, and 8 weeks is more than enough time, so we went with 6. Although, an extra week or two might be really useful since school has started for some people, and that's about how long it takes to balance, bug-fix, and polish.

I can see the benefits of extending the deadline though. It's going to take a while before voting to allow people to play the quests anyway, so the people that finish early can "get the best seat" so-to-speak simply because they can make their 5th available before others have finished, and have more time for tweaking. ...What do you guys think?

Binx
08-27-2013, 04:39 AM
I like that idea.

mrz84
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Nice. I'm game. Gonna start planning where dungeons and stuff will be . One question. Does Dungeon 9 have any specific limitations on where it can/should be placed?

Orithan
08-27-2013, 05:22 PM
About the rules: I just saw an additional quest rule that was on in the proposed 3rd quest - "Draining rupees can still be spent". Do we have to leave it on or not?

Also:

"Push blocks don't move when blocked"

I think there is a typo here - "blocked" should be "bumped"!

Zim
08-27-2013, 06:52 PM
About the rules: I just saw an additional quest rule that was on in the proposed 3rd quest - "Draining rupees can still be spent". Do we have to leave it on or not?

Also:

I think there is a typo here - "blocked" should be "bumped"!

Quest rules
The following rules may be turned on or off at the quest designers discretion:
"Fast Dungeon Scrolling", "Smooth Vertical Scrolling", "FFC Are Visible While Screen Is Scrolling", "Use Warp Return Points Only", "Invincible Link flickers", "Warps Ignore Arrival X/Y Position When Setting Continue Screen", "Can't push blocks into unwalkable combos", "Push blocks don't move when blocked", "Damage Combos Work On Layers", "Combo cycling on layers", "Scrolling warps don't set the continue point", "Rings affect damage combos", "Multi-directional traps", "Fast Heart refill".

The following rules must be ENABLED: "Items Disappear during hold-up".
All other quest rules must be DISABLED.

Spending rupees that are already spent, then, must be left the way it is. You could always make other intricacies in a submission that make it so this fact is completely irrelevant though, anyway.

Zim
08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Nice. I'm game. Gonna start planning where dungeons and stuff will be . One question. Does Dungeon 9 have any specific limitations on where it can/should be placed?

Just that it has to be accessible only after the other 8 triforce pieces are collected, other than that, it must be placed in a place that the player can/could find it somehow without having to use cheats, scripting, or other hacks.

SUCCESSOR
08-27-2013, 07:45 PM

I am going to go ahead and say this one is up to the quest maker. This rule wasn't present when 3rd or 4th were made and using draining rupees was never determined to be possible in Z1 so it can't very well be considered "un-NES." I don't think it being on or off matters much in the end.

Chris Miller
08-27-2013, 07:49 PM
It is possible in Z1. If you buy arrows and walk over the bombs, you can grab the bombs, too.

SUCCESSOR
08-27-2013, 08:14 PM
It is possible in Z1. If you buy arrows and walk over the bombs, you can grab the bombs, too.

Link holds up the item and the others disappear but you are somehow able to grab the bombs?

Zim
08-27-2013, 08:16 PM
I am going to go ahead and say this one is up to the quest maker. This rule wasn't present when 3rd or 4th were made and using draining rupees was never determined to be possible in Z1 so it can't very well be considered "un-NES." I don't think it being on or off matters much in the end.

I would concur, and this was my initial thoughts, (similar, anyway), on this topic also, I just didn't want to step on my senior staff member's toes, taze him while he's stunned, and then throw him into a vortex of usurption.

Link holds up the item and the others disappear but you are somehow able to grab the bombs?

Yeah.. This is going off topic alert... But anyway, you just leave the room and come back really quick.

Gleeok
08-27-2013, 08:28 PM
That trick works great when you buy the blue ring!

(Maybe if you want it too do that?)

SUCCESSOR
08-27-2013, 08:32 PM
This isn't off topic as it relates to a rule of 5th quest and even if it werent that isn't good reason to delete posts.

I've heard many people claim it is possible but no proof. I don't for a second believe with the rate rupees drain that you can purchase something, wait as link holds the item, leave and re-enter, wait while the string is displayed, and still have time to grab another item. Maybe with the purchase of the blue ring but then you have an armos to contend with.

Zim
08-27-2013, 08:39 PM
This isn't off topic as it relates to a rule of 5th quest and even if it werent that isn't good reason to delete posts.

I've heard many people claim it is possible but no proof. I don't for a second believe with the rate rupees drain that you can purchase something, wait as link holds the item, leave and re-enter, wait while the string is displayed, and still have time to grab another item. Maybe with the purchase of the blue ring but then you have an armos to contend with.

I don't remember exactly what room it was since this was over a decade ago, but I did successfully take advantage of this "bug." It does work..
I don't see how this has anything to do with the 5th quest topic because Gleeok already stated, clearly, in plain English, which rules are acceptable, which rules are changable, and which rules are to be disabled.
Mainly because other people who would like to know about 5th quest submission rules aren't going to need to hear about whether or not some kid ran in and out of a room.. In fact, I would personally leave it the way it was, and not tell anyone, and if/when some child in the future gets a chance to play a quest of ours, it'll be up to them to use their wits and try it out if they notice that the rupee counter doesn't instantly deduct, and try it themselves, without us indicating over and over again that it's possible or not.

Chris Miller
08-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Oops, I meant the bombs, and then the arrows. Hunger is messing with my head.

SUCCESSOR
08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Zim we aren't on-topic Nazis.

You guys keep saying this is possible but it doesn't prove it. If you wanna whip out an NES and a camera and provide some proof then by all means. This exploit isn't listed anywhere and I have never even seen it discussed outside of ZC communites.

Zim
08-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Zim we aren't on-topic Nazis.

You guys keep saying this is possible but it doesn't prove it. If you wanna whip out an NES and a camera and provide some proof then by all means. This exploit isn't listed anywhere and I have never even seen it discussed outside of ZC communites.

Oh, I thought we were. j/k. lol

I gave away my last NES for next to nil and I can't do that at the moment.. I'll just have to take my own word for it!

Gleeok
08-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Actually, I think it may of been a zc-only bug a long time ago, I can't really remember - maybe some drain-counter/game-counter mix-up or something. As far as whether you can cheat the rupee counter on the NES version, I have no idea.

Imzogelmo
08-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Just to inject my 2 cents: I don't know if it's possible on NES or not, but I seem to remember that if you were to save/quit during the countdown, then start up on a different save, it would start to deduct from that other save. So that would make me think that (in theory) the rupees are still considered "there" while being subtracted. IOW, I expect that you could exploit that at least on the blue ring shop. But buying bombs? No way, they're only 20, no way you could do it that fast.

EDIT: (I could be remembering it wrong, though. I know on Zelda 2 if you quit while you were getting the count-up experience from defeating a palace, you could save/quit and have it add that do a different save file. Just knowing that could be clouding my memory.)

mrz84
08-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks. That's all I needed to know. Gonna start on it this afternoon.

Orithan
09-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to throw in the towel for this contest. At the rate I'm working at, which I'm sure is my maximum, I won't finish it on time and I may end up getting burnt out on ZC if I push myself too far.

CJC
09-08-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to throw in the towel for this contest. At the rate I'm working at, which I'm sure is my maximum, I won't finish it on time and I may end up getting burnt out on ZC if I push myself too far.

Sorry to see you go. Is it the October deadline that's impairing your ability to participate? Any which way, thank you for sticking with it as long as you did.

Orithan
09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Sorry to see you go. Is it the October deadline that's impairing your ability to participate? Any which way, thank you for sticking with it as long as you did.

It's not just the October deadline, its also that I may end up getting burned out. At the time I quit, I was getting a small level and a half done a week and that was me at my peak and I had optimal conditions going for me. Additionally, my life catching up with me affects my ability to work in ZC.

Before I quit, I completed Level 3 and made it partway through Level 4. I had some neat concepts going too!

mrz84
09-09-2013, 10:36 AM
A question regarding 5th's accessing. Other than the standard way to unlock it (whatever it will be decided to be), how about for a tribute to Dark Nation by having his name be the password (like for 2nd quest in the original) to access it? Just a thought, don't have to do it really. Just thought it would be something nice to do.

Anyway, back to quest making in time for deadline...

Dart Zaidyer
09-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Hang on, when this contest started the deadline was November 5th.

I'm running a collaborative thread on Talking Time to finish a quest we hope to enter into this contest. November 5th was the agreed-upon deadline and bumping it forward without warning simply leaves us with not enough time.

We have to assemble all nine dungeons and an overworld, and do thorough testing to make sure the difficulty is even, there are no bugs or exploits, and everything follows the rules laid out and keeps to the spirit of a NES Quest.

In my opinion, the shortened deadline is completely biased in favor of lone authors who are so entrenched in this engine that they can bang out a finished quest, yet spend almost no time on QA. I assume that happens after the deadline passes, but it necessarily takes a group of people longer to build and test for consistency. (We have about three guys so far.) And a good QA process is very important because last time we had this contest, we wound up with the Fourth Quest, which has this situation in it. (http://youtu.be/MAHqOsAmulc?t=1m49s)

That one Black Moldorm never stays dead and is revisited by the same player several times more (http://youtu.be/27in0bm8kuw?t=1m30s) during that video series. But that's not all, elsewhere in the dungeon he gets trapped in a situation where he's missing a key and can't escape without resorting to the Continue screen.

SUCCESSOR
09-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Hang on, when this contest started the deadline was November 5th.

I'm running a collaborative thread on Talking Time to finish a quest we hope to enter into this contest. November 5th was the agreed-upon deadline and bumping it forward without warning simply leaves us with not enough time.

We have to assemble all nine dungeons and an overworld, and do thorough testing to make sure the difficulty is even, there are no bugs or exploits, and everything follows the rules laid out and keeps to the spirit of a NES Quest.

In my opinion, the shortened deadline is completely biased in favor of lone authors who are so entrenched in this engine that they can bang out a finished quest, yet spend almost no time on QA. I assume that happens after the deadline passes, but it necessarily takes a group of people longer to build and test for consistency. (We have about three guys so far.) And a good QA process is very important because last time we had this contest, we wound up with the Fourth Quest, which has this situation in it. (http://youtu.be/MAHqOsAmulc?t=1m49s)

That one Black Moldorm never stays dead and is revisited by the same player several times more (http://youtu.be/27in0bm8kuw?t=1m30s) during that video series. But that's not all, elsewhere in the dungeon he gets trapped in a situation where he's missing a key and can't escape without resorting to the Continue screen.

The agreed upon deadline was about 6 weeks from the start of the contest. Gleeok mistakenly put the wrong date. However that isn't a hard deadline. A hard deadline hasnt been set just yet.

Dart Zaidyer
09-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Okay. We'll do what we can in the given timeframe, but it's gonna be pretty close I think. I'd just hate to miss it.

Gleeok
09-14-2013, 02:23 AM
Dart Zaidyer: I screwed up the date, but maybe it's not such a bad thing. There's no "for-no-reason-because-we-said-so Nazi deadline" or anything like that. We're going for more of a community thing than the 4th - which was out of nowhere, and had a very short time frame - to try and produce some quality quests. The last thing we want is for content to suffer or people having to drop out because of time constraints, which from what I've seen seems to be a real issue. More time has been requested by a few people already also.

How about this: Submissions deadline will be from Oct. 5th up to Nov. 5th, or until entrants are done, whichever comes first. How does that sound?

CJC
09-14-2013, 03:12 PM
How about this: Submissions deadline will be from Oct. 5th up to Nov. 5th, or until entrants are done, whichever comes first. How does that sound?

Make it 'or until declared entrants are done' and that'll be perfect. If people want to submit past October 5th, they have to first admit that they're competing. Thing of it as mandatory forum activity.

Dart Zaidyer
09-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Make it 'or until declared entrants are done' and that'll be perfect. If people want to submit past October 5th, they have to first admit that they're competing. Thing of it as mandatory forum activity.

This.

Binx
09-14-2013, 06:13 PM
The only problem with that is "what happens when one of the declared entrants decides to be lazy and hold up the contest for 6 months?" I like the idea of just adding an extra month... THen again, I've been busy enough with MY quest that I haven't even started on my 5th quest entry, yet.

Gleeok
09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
The only problem with that is "what happens when one of the declared entrants decides to be lazy and hold up the contest for 6 months?" I like the idea of just adding an extra month... THen again, I've been busy enough with MY quest that I haven't even started on my 5th quest entry, yet.

Hence the "whichever comes first" part. ;)

CJC
09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah, that`s what I meant. Suppose that all declared entrants have finished their entry by October 17th and we close the contest, but then somebody comes along and says `But I haven`t finished yet!`. If they had told us they intended to compete, then we would have waited. But they`re dropping in out of the blue and stopping the contest for want of thirty seconds to post ``I am going to compete.``

In other other words, anyone intending to enter has to tell us by Oct 4th. After that we will expect all declared participants to supply a quest or a resignation for the contest by or before Nov 5th.

Sorry about bad format, on a mobile device.

bigjoe
09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Let this just be my declaration, then, that I intend to enter the contest.

Binx
09-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Oh... yeah... no I just misread it, you wrote it fine.

SUCCESSOR
09-20-2013, 12:26 AM
My computer died today. I wasn't very far along but I did get a lot of work done on it last night and was looking forward to getting beck into it. Hopefully I'll be back the the game with enough time to squeeze in something.

Chris Miller
09-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Mine's finished.

Nightmare
09-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Going to let us test it Chris?

Chris Miller
09-26-2013, 01:36 AM
By all means. :)
http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?96036-Chris-Miller-s-5th-Quest-Contest-Entry

Dart Zaidyer
09-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Heads up: Life circumstances have been unkind to me and my crew recently, so it's very unlikely we'll be finished by October 5th. I'll do my best to sort things out and get some more progress going. Sorry to drag things out like this; here's hoping we'll be ready before November 5th.

CJC
09-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Heads up: Life circumstances have been unkind to me and my crew recently, so it's very unlikely we'll be finished by October 5th. I'll do my best to sort things out and get some more progress going. Sorry to drag things out like this; here's hoping we'll be ready before November 5th.

That's okay, that's why we set up the floating deadline: so people wouldn't have to panic if something came up. We'll wait until November if it's needed; that is not a problem.