PDA

View Full Version : Bomb/burn trigger crossover effect

fireyf
08-15-2013, 06:58 PM
I've got a bush with a burn trigger on it in front off a wall with a bomb trigger. The idea was burn the bush, than bomb the wall to reveal the door. What's happening though is that when you burn the bush both the burn and bomb trigger are activated. The same is true if you bomb the bush. I tried moving them away from each other, burn another bush, just to see what would happen, and again, if I burn the bush the bomb trigger is activated as well. It seems the problem is when there is a burn trigger and a bomb trigger on the same screen. When I have a burn trigger alone on a screen a bomb has no effect on the burn trigger.

CJC
08-15-2013, 07:38 PM
What you are encountering is not a glitch, but rather an intended function for NES backwards compatibility. When a flag is marked as a trigger, it triggers all the secrets on the screen simultaneously. In such cases, it does not matter if you hit the Bomb Trigger, the Burn Trigger, or the Boomerang Trigger: any of them will change all the tiles marked by those flags.

ZQuest does allow you to set up independent trigger in lieu of screen triggers, though. It takes one more step.
To make the burn trigger only itself, select the combo and change its inherent flag to "Trigger->SelfOnly". That is, the flag you placed on screen is the burn flag, and the inherent flag of the combo is Trigger->SelfOnly. This will allow you to burn the bush without causing the bomb secret to go off.

Repeat this for any combo that you will be placing these flags on (Mountains, bushes, rocks, et cetera).

fireyf
08-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Ah, thank you. I had another thread I posted about a stairway under and Armos statue and a level entrance. Could you please take a look at that for me. http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?95844-Possible-Warp-return-bug It's probably another thing like this. This is my first quest so I'm still learning. Thanks again.