PDA

View Full Version : Activity Stream (NEW AND IMPROVED!)

Glenn the Great
07-30-2013, 10:22 PM
For your viewing pleasure, we are excited to announce that we have updated the Activity Stream!

We took pity when we found it wallowing in a 1995's era of technology.
If this were Star Trek, the Prime Directive would have forbidden us to interfere, but fortunately for you and I, this is not Star Trek!

I have refurbished the Activity Stream with the finest in cutting edge technology from, um...... 1997!
Okay, so it's not Facebook or Gmail yet, but it will now refresh once every 30 seconds automagically!
(Be sure that Javascript is turned on in your browser, you needlessly paranoid dumby)

WOAH MY GAWRDZ, CAN SEE WHEN PERSON MAKE POST WITH NO HAZ CLICK??!!?

Yeah, but if you run multiple tabs like I do, you may want to throw it up on a second monitor so you don't have to click on it to see it.

OKAYS PERSON, ME LIKE, BUT HOW DOOOO?!!!?!!

Prepare to have your mind blown....

http://s9.postimg.org/4zd91rgov/Whats_New.jpg

Try it! (Like it!) :tennis:

Gleeok
07-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Great!

Now we just need actual activity n' stuff.

Binx
07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Oh, Gleeok, you're so pessimistic.

Ventus
07-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Nice!, I like this new feature. :3

SUCCESSOR
07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
I was forced to read this? Someone post a hilarious/awful video clip.

Glenn the Great
07-31-2013, 02:17 AM
I was forced to read this?

You enjoyed it. Don't lie.

http://s9.postimg.org/dxhhodrrj/6_IMKu.png

Zim
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
I like that the stream auto refreshes now, but is there a way to make it not refresh with no new activity? The refresh with no new activity made the page blink and I subsequently scrolled to the top of the page only to find the same message that was already there.

Glenn the Great
07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I like that the stream auto refreshes now, but is there a way to make it not refresh with no new activity? The refresh with no new activity made the page blink and I subsequently scrolled to the top of the page only to find the same message that was already there.

That would require a complicated AJAX solution, as the web page would need to be able to communicate asynchronously with the server to know whether it needs to refresh, without actually refreshing.

There may be a plug-in for vBulletin out there that does just what you're asking for and more, considering that there is a lot of demand for real-time data in this Web 2.0 world of ours.
If we can find a plug-in that we like and feel comfortable with, we may try to implement it. Suggestions are welcome!

For now, all we did was add a simple Javascript timer that refreshes the page every 30 seconds.

Imzogelmo
08-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Since I hail from 1995-html land, all I can say is:

Mind = Blown

Mercy
08-02-2013, 05:12 PM
(Be sure that Javascript is turned on in your browser, you needlessly paranoid dumby)
Hellz nyet, and you can't make me. As if "needlessly paranoid" were a real thing.

Xyvol
08-03-2013, 05:12 PM
For now, all we did was add a simple Javascript timer that refreshes the page every 30 seconds.

An annoying side effect of this is that it always returns to the first "page" when it refreshes. If I have clicked More Activity to read more posts, I have 30 seconds to do so before it refreshes and returns me to the original grouping.

I don't know anything about BBSes these days, but is there a way to force the page to refresh whenever someone submits their post?

Nicholas Steel
08-07-2013, 06:42 AM
An annoying side effect of this is that it always returns to the first "page" when it refreshes. If I have clicked More Activity to read more posts, I have 30 seconds to do so before it refreshes and returns me to the original grouping.

I don't know anything about BBSes these days, but is there a way to force the page to refresh whenever someone submits their post?

Again, the webpage would need to be actively aware of forum activities in order to determine when to refresh. No such functionality was added (yet) so the best they can do would be to add a checkbox that allows you to toggle on/off the auto-refresh.

CJC
08-11-2013, 04:49 PM
As an alternative to the feed, send out some friend requests to the active members of the forum.

You can see friend posts on your profile page. They're just as current as the Active Feed, but they are more persistent.

In other words, use the Active Feed to see what new or less active members are up to recently, and use your friend list to work your way a little further back.

Imzogelmo
08-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I agree with Mercy: needlessly paranoid is an oxymoron.

The opposite of paranoia is ignorant apathy. But then, you many not know about that, or not care.

Mercy
08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
The opposite of paranoia is ignorant apathy. But then, you many not know about that, or not care.
You seem awfully knowledgeable about the subject. Is there something you are not telling us?

SUCCESSOR
08-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay, so it's not Facebook or Gmail yet, but it will now refresh once every 30 seconds automagically!

While I have been enjoying the auto refresh I also find it to be annoying. I think we are a long way off from needing an update every 30 seconds. We should kick that number up to 90 seconds or more.

Glenn the Great
08-15-2013, 06:56 PM
While I have been enjoying the auto refresh I also find it to be annoying. I think we are a long way off from needing an update every 30 seconds. We should kick that number up to 90 seconds or more.

It's 90 now. Enjoy!

MasterSwordUltima
09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
I dunno, I made a webpage in 1995 and it had a lot more marquee tags than this does.