PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 loads all glitchy

Chipwoodstock
07-26-2013, 12:06 PM
To put it short, I use ZC 2.50, but when I load Zelda Classic, it glitches out. Zelda Quest works fine though. :confused_white:

Why is this?

ctrl-alt-delete
07-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Is this a full screen issue? (Does the problem occur in windowed mode?)

Install this program, by our very own BFeely.

https://www.williamfeely.info/wiki/DXGL

Once installed, add Zelda Classics program file and hit apply. Then test again.

Gleeok
07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Is this a full screen issue? (Does the problem occur in windowed mode?)

cad: Is this verified as a working solution to the allegro and win7/8 issues people have? Is there any noticeable problems or issues from it?

ctrl-alt-delete
07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Gleeok Works perfect, no issues that I've seen. Ventus has had very good results as well.

Gleeok
07-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Great. I'll let people know about it when it comes up (which it does).

Also have to mention the irony here that Microsoft Windows breaks backwards compatibility with core DirextX components and OpenGL comes in to save the day!!

ctrl-alt-delete
07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
I messaged BFeely this morning concerning sharing it in a more open...forum. <-Sorry.

Ventus
07-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Gleeok Works perfect, no issues that I've seen. Ventus has had very good results as well.

I can safely say it does work wonders. :) But I'm not using Windows 8 no more... could not stand the buggyness of it and went back to my windows 7 ultimate :3

BFeely
07-29-2013, 09:21 PM
I can safely say it does work wonders. :) But I'm not using Windows 8 no more... could not stand the buggyness of it and went back to my windows 7 ultimate :3
Also fixes the glitchy palettes in Windows 7 and below without having to kill Explorer.exe

Ventus
07-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Also fixes the glitchy palettes in Windows 7 and below without having to kill Explorer.exe
Ah it does, does it? I'll have to give that a try!. I've been killing the Explorer to get a much better performance out of ZC.

zellytoto
08-08-2013, 06:08 AM
I am trying to play Zelda 2.5 on windows 8
But in large screen it flashes
In windowed or small screen it doesn't flash but hard to play in small window

ctrl-alt-delete
08-08-2013, 07:22 AM
I am trying to play Zelda 2.5 on windows 8
But in large screen it flashes
In windowed or small screen it doesn't flash but hard to play in small window

Read the second post in this thread.

icedawg
09-05-2013, 10:33 PM

I'm having trouble as well loading Zelda Classic in fullscreen mode in Windows 8. I'm running a Dell XPS 12, with HD 4000 graphics and native resolution of 1920*1080. When I would try to run it in fullscreen mode, Allegro.txt showed the following:

Used switch: -fullscreen
Unable to set gfx mode at -1 8bpp 1280 x 960
Unable to set gfx mode at -1 8bpp 640 x 480
-fullscreen not supported by your video driver! setting -windowed switch
Unable to set gfx mode at -2 8bpp 320 x 240
set gfx mode succsessful at -2 8bpp 640 x 480

I installed the program you mentioned above, and added the Zelda-w.exe executable to it. Now Zelda Classic loads, but it offsets the image to the right, so that the rightmost part of the image is not displayed. I uploaded a screen capture of what I get:

http://i43.tinypic.com/103djk7.png

I tried all the options in the "Video mode" dropdown list in DXGL, but they all resulted in the same thing. Any thoughts on how I can fix this? I'd really like to be able to play the game in fullscreen mode.

Thanks.

Zim
09-06-2013, 03:51 PM
You could always try using compatibility mode of Win7, that might work.

icedawg
09-06-2013, 04:28 PM
You could always try using compatibility mode of Win7, that might work.

Thanks for the suggestion Zim. Unfortunately that didn't work...but, I tried some of the other compatibility settings, and checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box worked! So it looks properly now in fullscreen mode for me--I just needed the combination of the DXGL program, and that compatibility setting.

Thanks for leading me down the right path. :P

Swifticuffs
10-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I definitely need help with this. So, I am using the "Lost Isle Build" of ZC to play, of course, Lost Isle. I am running 64 bit Windows 8 on a laptop. I have tried every suggestion here, but the game either lags on a low framerate and eventually crashes when full screen or crashes whenever I try to alter the screen size.

Using Lost Isle Build I cannot find the option to just click "large" or "small" window instead of booting straight away into fullscreen, which causes the issues. Right clicking the shortcut to force it into a smaller window is not helping. All the instructions here are not helping.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? It crashes anytime I try to play... I have played and beaten the game, almost, on the same laptop with windows 8 but had to use the Large Window on the latest ZC build... but that has a lot of compatibility issues that cause wizrobes to toss omnidirectional wind blasts and script errors with text and all that BS so I want to use the proper build.

Thank you for your assistance.

Chris Miller
10-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Windows 8 is the issue, unfortunately. It has a way of breaking a lot of programs.

BFeely
11-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Zim. Unfortunately that didn't work...but, I tried some of the other compatibility settings, and checking the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box worked! So it looks properly now in fullscreen mode for me--I just needed the combination of the DXGL program, and that compatibility setting.

Thanks for leading me down the right path. :P
Unfortunately DXGL is not currently compatible with High DPI settings, however as icedawg discovered the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" compatibility setting can be used to work around this issue. Since this is now an issue for some users, I will investigate fixing the issue so the compatibility setting is no longer needed.

Nicholas Steel
11-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I definitely need help with this. So, I am using the "Lost Isle Build" of ZC to play, of course, Lost Isle. I am running 64 bit Windows 8 on a laptop. I have tried every suggestion here, but the game either lags on a low framerate and eventually crashes when full screen or crashes whenever I try to alter the screen size.

Using Lost Isle Build I cannot find the option to just click "large" or "small" window instead of booting straight away into fullscreen, which causes the issues. Right clicking the shortcut to force it into a smaller window is not helping. All the instructions here are not helping.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this? It crashes anytime I try to play... I have played and beaten the game, almost, on the same laptop with windows 8 but had to use the Large Window on the latest ZC build... but that has a lot of compatibility issues that cause wizrobes to toss omnidirectional wind blasts and script errors with text and all that BS so I want to use the proper build.

Thank you for your assistance.
Lost Isle (if I remember correctly) doesn't need the Lose Isle build of Zelda Classic anymore. It was updated for compatibility with the current latest version of Zelda Classic (Or the Release Candidate of next version).

DBJordan
06-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just discovered ZC and I'm having Win 8 full screen issues. I tried DXGL, but ZC is running at 24 fps instead of 60. Any suggestions or tweaks?

DBJordan
06-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just discovered ZC and I'm having Win 8 full screen issues. I tried DXGL, but ZC is running at 24 fps instead of 60. Any suggestions or tweaks?

OK, now I'm worse off. I uninstalled DXGL, and now every time I launch ZC, my desktop resolution changes to 640x480. I just want to run it windowed in my normal resolution. I've deleted ZC and reinstalled it, but nothing changes. Any ideas?