PDA

View Full Version : Animated Sword Beams

XMuppetSB
07-21-2013, 12:40 PM
In 2.5, it is now possible to have animated sword beams. However, the default sword beam sprites are the same as the default sword stab sprites, so you would have to define separate weapon sprites for sword beams and set animation frames and animation speed for them.

The only problem is, if you have animated sword beams, then the beam impact sprite would be offset by the number of animation frames plus 1, whereas if the sword beam is not animated, the impact sprite would come right after the L/R beam sprite. So for instance, if you have a sword beam sprite with 4 animation frames, the offset of the beam impact would be 5; or if the beam has 8 animation frames, the offset of the beam impact would be 9. This also applies to enemy sword beams.

Also, if Link is facing left when he fires a beam from his sword and the beam animated, then the animation frames would be flipped horizontally. The animation frame flipping does not seem to happen with any other direction, however.

XMuppetSB
07-01-2014, 12:47 AM
I forgot to mention this, but if Link is facing down when firing the sword beam, the sword beam animation is rotated at a 180 degree angle. And yes, this problem, as well as the other two problems mentioned above are still present in 2.50.1 RC2. As for the beam impact sprite offset, why not fix it to where the beam impact sprite comes after the last animation frame of the sword beam itself, instead of being offset by the number of animation frames plus 1.
And in future versions (in other words, a rewrite), perhaps it would be nice if we could define a separate sword beam impact sprite for each sword.

XMuppetSB
08-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Has anybody else tested out the animated sword beams? I tried this again in RC3, and I'm still seeing all the issues listed above. But then again, I've got a feeling that the animated sword beams were probably implemented in a rather half-assed way in the first place.

Tamamo
11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Strange the beam impact sprite is actually the number of frames * 2 offset the OriginalTile.
It's been fixed now, I hope.