PDA

View Full Version : Warning. Contains Gamer Rage.

mrz84
07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm sure there are those of you here who will share my thoughts with this little rage rant I'm about to go on.

A few years ago (2011) I got a copy of Tactics Ogre for the PS1 since I was tired of waiting for a 100% translation patch for the SNES version's rom. I got it for a decent $60 on ebay (most other places were at least twice that at the time). However, about 2-3 months later, Squareenix announced the release of a PSP remake of the game. *commences table flipping* I got over it and bought it along with my PSP (there were games I wanted to get for it anyway, such as Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, etc)

Well once again its happened. earlier this year I bought the first game in the Etrian Odyssey series for DS. Just today I found this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/etrian_odyssey_untold_the_millennium_girl_release_ date_confirmed_for_north_america

If you don't wanna click and read the article link, its basically a 3DS remake of *drum roll please* the first EO DS game. *recommences table flipping* :finger: to you Atlus. While I spent only about $20 for a copy of the DS game in great condition on ebay (once again), I've spent very little time on it so far (Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing being the main culprits why, not to mention work and getting ready to take commissions on my deviantart starting next month) so while I'm raging at Atlus, I realized that it isn't their fault, just bad timing on my part. It still pisses me off though since I know I'll be getting it anywy. Btw, it comes out October 1st this year. I honestly don't know how I didn't know about this game until now. Anyway, I'm done raging now. You can discuss this as you like (about the game itself, your own rage experiences regarding game purchases, whatever). I'll be in the corner of the darkest part of AGN until I calm down. *walks off*

MasterSwordUltima
07-16-2013, 08:41 AM
So this is a lesson to look up games that you are interested in purchasing. Unless you're like me and you want the NES cartridge of it anyway.

mrz84
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I purchased the games in question months before there was any announcement so research wouldn't have done me any good. I suppose I could keep the original games (for collector's value or something), but otherwise they'll be collecting dust once the remakes are purchased.

I would like to note that most of my gaming news either comes from gamefaqs.com, word of mouth from my brothers, or here. I'm not a fan of gaming news sites like gamespot (for some reason they just seem biased to me, but meh).

MasterSwordUltima
07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Of course they're biased.

At any rate, yeah - I have a bunch of friends who are constantly checking up on stuff, so I suppose my answer was also super biased in itself.

mrz84
07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
That's fine. Some people are better informed that others when it comes to gaming research. I usually don't look into a game unless it involves anything that could be missable during gameplay (a recruitable character, a useful item, a secret stage, etc) and spoilers be damned if I can't get the most out of my game. That's pretty much the extent of my gaming research, unless it involves seeing the differences between the original game and any remake(s) it has.

Xyvol
07-18-2013, 12:59 PM
A few years ago I purchased the original GBA Zelda Oracle games through various used game locations. At the time they weren't available on other platforms. (excluding roms, I suppose) Later that year Nintendo released them on the 3DS virtual console. I would rather have them on a nice back lit screen than the GBA's "gotta shine a light in just the right spot." Much less rage was involved however.

mrz84
07-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I considered buying them a few years ago myself. And then Nintendo revealed the 3DS VC and I thought: I'll wait and see if they get released on this first. I waited and got both games when they came out for it (damn, they are good games despite capcom being the ones who made them)