PDA

View Full Version : James Quest: Remastered

Nightmare
06-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, fixing the bugs and revamping James Quest, doing most of the bulk of the work next week, bringing it up to 2.50 level.

http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&id=58, the hosted project forum on PureZC where the bulk of the discussion will be.

-James

Gleeok
06-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Do you need any scripts for the bonus LV?

If you want an example of Enemy spawning scripts (You've been away from ZC for a while I think) or simple enemy editor abuse I can send you a quest file.

[edit]
Note: I added copy/paste to the enemy editor a while ago but it is bit of a hack. You need to hold "["->double click to copy, and "]" to paste.

Nightmare
06-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Is there any way you can merge it with the Demo base? If there is, let me know. Having four sets of regular enemies would be nice for James Quest 1 and 2 remakes as it would balance the difficulty better and make it less cheap.

-James

Gleeok
06-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Not quite sure what you mean. If you want to create one master list with newer enemies (eg; JQ1), then you can just export/import it into another quest (eg; JQ2) so long as the enemy tiles are set up the same (otherwise they need to be reset).

Nightmare
06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't know if the Demo tileset has the newer enemies implemented, unless they're using the same sprites.

But I'd like to have Lv. 3 and 4 enemies of everything, if they're scriptable let me know.

-James

Gleeok
06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Aah I get what you were saying now. Two points of interest:
1) If they are not, then just start a new quest with the demo tileset and export->guys;
2) With the enemy editor you don't need scripting. For example:
To create a LV5 fire octorock: copy the fire octorock in the list, paste to a new slot, edit the name, HP, and/or attributes you want.

As I was saying before if you wanted an example list, or to check out working enemy spawning, etc.. let me know and I'll send you a quest file.

[edit]
Example Placement script screens.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/zelda005-6.png http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/zelda072.png

Example of enemies spawning on special combo types:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/zelda045.png

Regards.

Nightmare
06-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Updated the demo (and probably the last time before I get out of school). Tell me what you think Gleeok.

Also, wondering if you think I should hotfix New Quest and the First Quest, or leave them alone. It'd be nice to have the First Quest with bugfixes and real boss fights I think, and for things like Lynels and Wizzrobes to do what they were intended to do and not the glitched NES damage.

Edit: Put up a beta for New Quest Hotfixes. Let me know if it's anywhere near worth it, or if it's a bad idea due to New Quest being a classic.
http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&id=59

-James

Gleeok
06-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Nonononononono ... You changed the music in James Quest 1. You will save you from yourself? :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: Also the midi levels are too low for LV1.

Bug: Boss sounds somehow got enabled for the Lynel Boss. Sounds cheesy. (did you know you can now have room specific MIDI in 2.5? - Screen Data -> Midi : Great for Bosses!)
Bug: LV 1A is just random tiles. (Did you import the demo combos properly?)

Feedback: Beat Lv1 only losing a half heart total on the boss. Maybe you can have the Lynel split into two Red Lynels on death?

Nightmare
06-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Considering your skill level and the life you lost, I'd consider that fair. I don't need to make any more changes, remember, you only have 3 Hearts AND it's still Level 1 (hint hint, don't break the game early, you lose players).

Yes, I enabled boss sounds. :) That was my doing, lol.

I need to get a boss music, lol.

I have not tested or done anything past Level 1. I got too many school projects to do much of any development before Monday. You're done with it.

Also, the music in Demo 1 IS wrong, I have corrected it in Demo 2.

Also, mind putting this in Custom Quest Discussion where it belongs? Thanks.

-James

Gleeok
06-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Moved.

Also things were so badly messed up I thought there might be a bug with importing, so I took a quick look inside. Woah, mind fuck - didn't expect that. Isn't that sorta backwards?? (I think if you switched it the upgrade would be pretty much instant anyway.)

Nightmare
06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Demo and Regular Quest tiles aren't exactly 1 to 1 compatible unfortunately. It's going to take testing of someone to get me every room I display wrong to fix it. :(

BTW, a video teaser:

http://youtu.be/qckMZnMU1Uo

-James

Gleeok
06-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I did a lot of testing regarding this to get 2.5 released the last few years. I even merged the DOR tileset, the Demo tileset, and another NES set into one. Probably would of been considered a difficult feat for 2.10.

You should me able to merge with JQ1 without having to dick with individual screens.

[EDIT]
Nightmare I hope you don't mind but I took a look to see what the problem would be with the conversion.

There was actually only a few minor changes that had to be made so it took me about 5 minutes to import the demoex tileset into james quest. Remember that 2.5 layout may look like 1.92, but under the hood it has WAY more functionality. The conversion is non-intrusive so you should never (or rarely) have to change individual screens.

Process:

Open demoex:
goto graphics->combos, click combo 56 and insert 4 combos (press "i" 4 times).
export tiles, combos, palettes.
Open james.qst:
take a screenshot (or PRTSC) of the combo table (for future reference).
goto graphics->combos, click combo 81 and insert 5 combos.
import the demoex stuff.

Step 2.
Open the palettes and move LV1-9 to match what they were for JQ1 dungeons. (You can copy/paste to move entire sections here)
Fix any other palette issues.

Open the combo table and put back the combos that got lost to the conversion. (You can insert/remove slots still - "i", SHIFT-"i")
Now give the custom combos the same combo properties they had from before.

Bam!~ You're done! (probably still need to fix the screens with water tiles, and things like that though.. It can't really be helped.)

Nightmare
06-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Actually, I'd like to have you on board as a tester and a contributor. I added you to New Quest and James Quest: Remastered on PureZC, waiting on you to accept. Zeo's getting kinda used to my quests too much and is missing bugs, it'd be great to have you aboard!

Edit: Still not working. The templates are still bad after I import. Do I do the second insert AFTER the import, or before?

-James

Gleeok
06-19-2013, 03:51 AM
It should be exactly in that order. ,,so before. All the dungeons/maps should be preserved with step 1, and step 2 should take care of 95% of the remaining issues.

If you still have problems I did a "save as" on it to compare with the demo screens.

Nightmare
06-19-2013, 04:26 AM
It doesn't seem to work for me, maybe I'm using a different version of Demo EX, I'm not sure.

-James

Gleeok
06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Re; Enemies:
I just hope that you don't change level enemies too much without planning. It's one of the rare zc quests that hit this issue. (Actually JQ1 is far superior to all your other quests James, in this area, IMHO if you don't mind me saying so - maybe even of all quests ever made).

Might I suggest doing Bosses first, then minibosses, at the same time as learning FFC scripts for boss rooms, before doing any major enemy changes?

Actually if you want to try out any of my FFC scripts for enemies let me know before I leave.