PDA

View Full Version : damn doctor

SUCCESSOR
06-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Most of you know I have insomnia. Well I finally went ahead and asked my doctor about a prescription sleep aid. What does she do? She prescribes mr an antidepressant. Trazodone or something. I looked it up its not even meant to be used that way. There is no evidence that it helps people sleep. Apparently docs prescribe it because of patient claims. Isn't that hypocritical?! Thousands of people and thousands of years of support for herbal remedies and doctors call bull but pull the same shit with drugs. Well I'm off to sleep.

ZTC
06-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Looks like it's time for you to find another doc :< Hope you get some decent rest!

Gleeok
06-13-2013, 03:23 AM
We should just put pharmaceutical vending machines in every Wal-Mart just so doctors can get a break. Also fuck doctors. ...and also Wal-Mart. :P

Your probably feeling a bit down right now (no pun intended) so here's something that might cheer you up when you wake up:

Trazodone side effects:

* Headache or heaviness in head
* Nausea, vomiting
* Bad taste in mouth
* Dry mouth
* Stomach pain
* Diarrhea or Constipation
* Changes in appetite or weight
* Weakness or tiredness
* Nervousness
* Decreased ability to concentrate or remember things
* Confusion
* Brain fog or "zombie-like" sensations
* Nightmares
* Muscle pain
* Sweating
* Blurred vision
* Tired, red, or itchy eyes
* Tinnitus (Ringing in ears)
* Restless leg syndrome
* Chest pain (angina)
* Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
* Shortness of breath
* Fever, sore throat, chills, or other signs of infection
* Hives
* Skin rash
* Itching
* Difficulty breathing or swallowing (dysphagia)
* Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs (peripheral edema)
* Hoarseness
* Decreased coordination
* Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
* Numbness, burning, or tingling in the arms, legs, hands, or feet
* Dizziness or lightheadedness
* Fainting (syncope)
* Painful erection that lasts longer than normal (priapism)

Seriously though, insomnia sucks. I get that fairly often as well. Usually the more stressed out I am the worse it is, which stresses me out even more.

Tim
06-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Malpractice is great.

SUCCESSOR
06-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Trazodone side effects:

Don't try to cheer me up. I didn't take it. I won't. Instead I did a nasty shot of Valerian root and did a FAT meditation. It only took an hour and a half to fall asleep.

Even if trazodone would work it leave a lasting drowsiness after waking and that won't work. I have to get up and go straight to work in the morning. I work early and Ashley works nights. Any other schedule and I would hardly see her.

Mercy
06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Interesting script choice but not unusual. Trazodone does help some people to wind down enough to fall asleep but it is not necessarily conducive to clean sleep. But you might get to experience priapism so there's that. If you do not have any pain issues and this is your first go with an antidepressant, I would seek a second opinion. Meh, who am I kidding... get a second opinion anyway. "I have insomnia" has become newspeak for, "I need something to even me out." If you live in a MM state, your doctor may have been trying to circumvent what she thought was a bid for a MM script. Or perhaps she is just following the recommendations of her pharmacological overlords and her pharma rep' is three years past retirement. Trazodone is so two generations ago.

Brasel
06-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Insomnia has got to suck, man. I don't think I've ever had a problem falling asleep other than because of too much caffeine.

Chris Miller
06-20-2013, 07:31 PM
A shot of whiskey and a cigarette will work as well. :3

ShadowTiger
06-23-2013, 11:26 AM
I would say "I'll give you a placebo, that should help" but... yeah.

In what temperature do you usually sleep, and with what amount of clothing? Also, with what in your stomach?

SUCCESSOR
06-24-2013, 01:44 AM
I would say "I'll give you a placebo, that should help" but... yeah.

In what temperature do you usually sleep, and with what amount of clothing? Also, with what in your stomach?

I sleep nude. Jk. I sleep in boxers. I try to keep it cooler at night, around 70 or so. And I try to not eat late but it often doesn't make much difference in falling asleep as much as the quality of sleep.

Tim
06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
When I eat late I tend to have weirder dreams than usual. The only thing that bothers me is when I never find out what happens. :(

Blanka
09-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Well. From my experience, when a patient asks for a specific kind of pill it can come off as being suspicious. I asked my doctor one time for Restoril which is a sedative/hypnotic. He asked me where I came up with that particular request. Sedatives when abused can be very addictive. Believe me, I know.