PDA

View Full Version : Wii discontinuing Online Services

CJC
06-09-2013, 11:12 PM
I got an email on the Wii that informed me all the online services, save the Market, would be discontinued at the end of the month. This includes services like connecting to other systems and sending Miis to other players.

I guess that's Nintendo's way of saying "Go buy our new system already!". An omen of things to come for the 360 and PS3.

mrz84
06-10-2013, 01:22 AM
I got a similar message on the Wii message board for my system last week. Most of the stuff being shut off I don't use anyways.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-10-2013, 07:38 AM
I need to fire up my wii and see what this is about...Anybody want to save me some google time and link me?

rock_nog
06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I almost wouldn't care, but I'm gonna miss the Check Mii Out channel. Oh sure, I can look up Miis online and just copy the design manually, but I've seen a lot of interesting characters through that channel. I would almost say that I'm gonna miss the Nintendo channel, too, if only for the DS demo download service, but there haven't been any good demos in ages (plus my DS just recently broke - like literally, the hinge between the two halves came undone and they're only still held together by the cables).

LinkFan212
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Got the same message. Quite glad though because we don't use them and was trying to get them off. So yay for us I guess. Ok, not Nintendo Channel cause that's an everyday thing for me, I always check for new info about games and stuff.

rock_nog, the same thing happened to my old DS, then got a new one. So, suggest if you want to keep it, duct tape it, only you won't be able to fold it. Or, get rid of it and get a 3ds. (Which I do not have one, but I have a DSIXL)

King Aquamentus
06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Basically, Wii is shutting off the more non-essential stuff like weather, news, and Check Mii Out. The shop though will still remain open for all your wiiware and virtual console needs. However, things like system friend codes (not game friend codes) and email will be lost.