PDA

View Full Version : ZC 2.50 Loads Older Version of Quest from Newer Quest File

fruitvark
06-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Hello, I have a quest I made in Z2.10 and when I open it from the original directory in ZC 2.50 (C:\Program Files (x86)\ZC 2.10) it loads everything correctly; but when I copy and past the .qst and .qsb files from that directory into the new Zelda Classic folder for 2.50 which is on my desktop, when I load the same quest file, it pulls data from three years ago. Where is that old version hiding in the .qst file, and how do I get ZC 2.50 to pull the current load? Also, for some reason Windows thinks that .qst file was "Created" April of this year but "Last Modified" in 2013...

Any idea what's going on? Thanks so much!

Zim
06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Hello, I have a quest I made in Z2.10 and when I open it from the original directory in ZC 2.50 (C:\Program Files (x86)\ZC 2.10) it loads everything correctly; but when I copy and past the .qst and .qsb files from that directory into the new Zelda Classic folder for 2.50 which is on my desktop, when I load the same quest file, it pulls data from three years ago. Where is that old version hiding in the .qst file, and how do I get ZC 2.50 to pull the current load? Also, for some reason Windows thinks that .qst file was "Created" April of this year but "Last Modified" in 2013...

Any idea what's going on? Thanks so much!
"but when I copy and past the .qst and .qsb files from that directory into the new Zelda Classic folder for 2.50 which is on my desktop, when I load the same quest file, it pulls data from three years ago. Where is that old version hiding in the .qst file"
=Is that not the point of copy/pasting the file in the first place, that when you reload it, it's the 'old' data you mentioned?
I mean, that seems to be a rhetorical question of which the answer too is within your wording....
The same with " Also, for some reason Windows thinks that .qst file was "Created" April of this year but "Last Modified" in 2013...,"
Which unto itself is in no way contradictory: According to my computer system it is in fact the year 2013.. Sometimes when crossing over operating systems and things like that the initial data tags inside are not preserved, and the new file 'copied' isn't exactly an exact copy, but a newly created file altogether since the newer system can decode the old data and read it, but when it rewrites the data the system creates a new file altogether because the 'unseen' portions of the file data aren't the same anymore.

The "old version hiding" in the quest file IS the quest file itself.. There is not multiple quests inside one quest file, a quest file is a single quest, not a group of quests.

What did you mean by "pull the current load" exactly?
You mean not use it anymore?

fruitvark
06-05-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry, there was one typo and some poor wording in my original post.

Windows says the .qst file was created in Apr. 2013 but last modified in 2010. (Actually, the last time I edited my quest was last week.)

Over the last couple of years, I changed a lot of the strings, the maps, the tiles, and the music. When I load the quest from the C:\Program Files (x/86)\ZC 2.10 directory, all of the changes I made over the last two years are there.

Yet, when I download the latest ZC 2.5 and unzip it onto my desktop, and I copy and paste the same .qst file that's in my C:\Program Files (x/86)\ZC 2.10 directory to the Zelda Classic folder on my desktop, and then I load the quest and play it, it mysteriously reverts back to the version of the .qst file from two years ago. The dialogue, maps, graphics, amd music become what they were before I made two years of changes. Then I go back again and load the .1st file from the C:\Program Files (x/86)\ZC 2.10 and play it, and it's up to date with all the latest changes.

Somehow copy and pasting the .qst file from C:\Program Files (x/86)\ZC 2.10 to the new Zelda Classic directory on my desktop makes the quest play like it's missing two years of changes.

Zim
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't know everything about every build of ZC, and I too have had my share of mysterious data reversions from time to time...

So I don't know what your system is going through, but I can offer a probable solution:
Load the file from your old file from (C:\Program Files (x86)\ZC 2.10) into 2.5's ZQ, the quest editor, and see what it says from there.
Hopefully it'll act like 2.5's ZC is doing and read your most recently modified data. Then go ahead and resave using 2.5.
You should at some point get the message "this file was saved using an older version of ZC," and you'll have to rename the file using Save As, a regular f2 save or drop down menu to save will not work until you use a Save As.
That should bring your file up to date with 2.5 and 2.5 should at that point be able to read all the modified data. When it's read from your 2.1 folder, it's also using all the ".cfg"-esque files from 2.1, the .sav, etc. So reload it from 2.1's folder using 2.5's ZQ, resave the file into your 2.5 folder, and it will use all the 2.5 data from there.
Hope this helps you.

Chris Miller
06-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Do what Zim said there. Also, don't copy your backup files. 2.5 will make its own.

fruitvark
06-13-2013, 02:03 AM
I don't know everything about every build of ZC, and I too have had my share of mysterious data reversions from time to time...

So I don't know what your system is going through, but I can offer a probable solution:
Load the file from your old file from (C:\Program Files (x86)\ZC 2.10) into 2.5's ZQ, the quest editor, and see what it says from there.
Hopefully it'll act like 2.5's ZC is doing and read your most recently modified data. Then go ahead and resave using 2.5.
You should at some point get the message "this file was saved using an older version of ZC," and you'll have to rename the file using Save As, a regular f2 save or drop down menu to save will not work until you use a Save As.
That should bring your file up to date with 2.5 and 2.5 should at that point be able to read all the modified data. When it's read from your 2.1 folder, it's also using all the ".cfg"-esque files from 2.1, the .sav, etc. So reload it from 2.1's folder using 2.5's ZQ, resave the file into your 2.5 folder, and it will use all the 2.5 data from there.
Hope this helps you.

That worked beautifully. Thank you so much!