PDA

View Full Version : Password recovery?

MasterSwordUltima
05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
2.50w - I see the challenge question thing, although I'm not certain what I am to do with that?

My old Final Fantasy quest was password protected when I uploaded a demo, and good god did I forget it. Am I fucked?

Glenn the Great
05-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Zelda Classic has been storing quest passwords as MD5 hashes (one-way encryption) for a long time before 2.50 was a thing. So you're definitely fucked as far as *recovering* your password.

I've heard the devs have a tool that can reset quest passwords, so there's still hope. Maybe one of them can help you out.

Gleeok
05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Dude you are sooooooooooo fucked right now. O:

The password system was created by an advanced AI. It is so strong it would take on average 42 million lunar cycles to break.

SUCCESSOR
05-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Attempting to crack it will cause attack robots to be released to kill you.

MasterSwordUltima
05-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Well.

Shit.

Moosh
05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
What version was the file saved in? If it was pre RC3, you can send me the file and I'll hit it with a giant rock and it will open its secrets to me.

Otherwise, you'll need to get help from someone with a better giant rock AKA the devs.

Gleeok
05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
I've spoken to Master Control Program and he says "If the innards quest you wish to see, then answer me these riddles three."

1.Here there is no north, west, or east, and environment fit for not man nor beast.

2. If 3 intersecting rectangles are drawn on a flat surface, what is the maximum number of areas, completely bounded and not further subdivided, that can be formed, considering only the sides of the rectangles as boundaries?

3. What comes next in this sequence?

1 4 2 1 7 2 11
1 4 8 6 3 15 3 10 6
2 3 7 9 5 12 4 13 16
14 8 5 9

He also says something about failure to accept wold mean being uploaded to the matrix and placed on the game grid... whatever that means.

:)

CJC
05-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I will help you defeat the evil MCP!

I've spoken to Master Control Program and he says "If the innards quest you wish to see, then answer me these riddles three."

1.Here there is no north, west, or east, and environment fit for not man nor beast.
-=SPOILER=-

2. If 3 intersecting rectangles are drawn on a flat surface, what is the maximum number of areas, completely bounded and not further subdivided, that can be formed, considering only the sides of the rectangles as boundaries?
-=SPOILER=-

3. What comes next in this sequence?

1 4 2 1 7 2 11
1 4 8 6 3 15 3 10 6
2 3 7 9 5 12 4 13 16
14 8 5 9

Wait wut? Okay... I can do this...
-=SPOILER=-

But seriously, I thought quest passwords were not encrypted, to the point that anybody with a little time and know-how could unzip the ZQuest executable and extract all the data they wanted. Did this change in 2.5?

Glenn the Great
05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
I think I have the first two. Not even gonna try the 3rd one.

-=SPOILER=-

-=SPOILER=-

But seriously, I thought quest passwords were not encrypted, to the point that anybody with a little time and know-how could unzip the ZQuest executable and extract all the data they wanted. Did this change in 2.5?

Quest passwords were originally and formerly encrypted within the quest using a reversible algorithm.
A certain member of AGN (whose name I won't mention here, and don't ask) managed to reverse engineer that algorithm and used it to make a program that could extract the passwords from peoples' quests.
Many a forum account was compromised that day.

Once it became a high-profile issue, the system was changed sometime around or before version 2.11 (it may have been one of the 1.92 betas, someone help me here) to start encrypting passwords using a non-reversible algorithm.
The only way of figuring out someone's quest password now would be to brute-force it by trying every combination in sequence, which could take a long while if your password is long enough.

The quest password isn't an iron-clad protection from being able to get in and modify a quest, however. If it were as such, you'd have to enter the password every time you wanted to play the quest... the main ZC executable has to read that data somehow! With the right tool, you could bypass the password-check and set a new quest password. I believe that the devs have just such a tool.

Gleeok
05-30-2013, 11:29 PM
I think 3 is definitely wrong for #2. O_o

Quest passwords were originally and formerly encrypted within the quest using a reversible algorithm.
A certain member of AGN (whose name I won't mention here, and don't ask) managed to reverse engineer that algorithm and used it to make a program that could extract the passwords from peoples' quests.
Many a forum account was compromised that day.

Once it became a high-profile issue, the system was changed sometime around or before version 2.11 (it may have been one of the 1.92 betas, someone help me here) to start encrypting passwords using a non-reversible algorithm.
The only way of figuring out someone's quest password now would be to brute-force it by trying every combination in sequence, which could take a long while if your password is long enough.

The quest password isn't an iron-clad protection from being able to get in and modify a quest, however. If it were as such, you'd have to enter the password every time you wanted to play the quest... the main ZC executable has to read that data somehow! With the right tool, you could bypass the password-check and set a new quest password. I believe that the devs have just such a tool.

That's pretty much spot on right there. It would be a pain to step through all that machine code though.

Standard quest recovery protocol dictates that the riddles three must be answered before a recovery process can be initiated! :sly: :tan:

Gleeok
06-04-2013, 10:25 PM
My old Final Fantasy quest was password protected when I uploaded a demo, and good god did I forget it. Am I fucked?

Seriously, do you still need the pass?

-=SPOILER=-

Nope, you can get more. ;)

Glenn the Great
06-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Nope, you can get more. ;)

I just took another crack at it and managed to get 25 this time.

I have an answer for the 3rd one:

1 9 2 13 7
3 12 18 14 4
11 21 25 22 5
8 15 10 24 19
6 23 17 20 16

Gleeok
06-05-2013, 01:13 AM
You got them. :)

Although I think "North Pole" makes more sense for #1, as outer space doesn't really qualify as having an environment.

MasterSwordUltima
06-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Gleeok - nah, I restarted it, and it's turning out a lot more organized than before. So yeah, I gave up on figuring out that password.

Zim
06-05-2013, 08:33 PM
I "accidentally" looked at the answer to the north pole thing, I got the code sequence fairly quickly, (actually I almost had it in the first minute I looked at it and then it took me another 10-20 minutes to think to skip numbers already placed and try the method I thought of initially doing that also), but I'm totally stumped on the rectangles thing.. I might try it again later but I keep coming up with 13 as the max still.

Glenn the Great
06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I "accidentally" looked at the answer to the north pole thing, I got the code sequence fairly quickly, (actually I almost had it in the first minute I looked at it and then it took me another 10-20 minutes to think to skip numbers already placed and try the method I thought of initially doing that also), but I'm totally stumped on the rectangles thing.. I might try it again later but I keep coming up with 13 as the max still.

The rectangle puzzle seems designed precisely to trick the MS-Paint people into not being able to find more than 13.

Zim
06-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Yeah, with it's restrictive 90* rotation the rectangles always end up on the same planes.
I got 22 this time. I'll try again tomorrow.