PDA

View Full Version : "Once I built a railroad, made it run, made it race against time..,"

Mercy
05-25-2013, 04:54 PM
in-fra-struc-ture noun

1. the underlying foundation or basic framework (as of a system or organization)

2. the permanent installations required for military purposes

3. the system of public works of a country, state, or region; also: the resources (as personnel, buildings, or equipment) required for activity

The word of the moment is "infrastructure", as in, what insufficient amount of which we have in the USA is fast crumbling around our ears. Ours is the only first-world nation of size that lacks a national rail system. The rail system we have, once the gold standard for the world, is woefully outdated and dilapidated. The national power grid was largely constructed before most of us were born. Many urban and dense suburban areas are struggling to keep sewer & waste water systems flowing for populations many times their originally designed loads. Why do we not have national wifi coverage yet? Homeowners in Colorado are unable to dig wells on their own property because California already bought all their water to keep California cows happy and Beverly Hills green. And what should be said about the state of our bridges and schools in Tornado Alley?

At least we managed to scrape together that $400 billion for those nifty new F-35's.., so long as we do not want to use them on a cloudy day.

So is this it? Do we resign ourselves to devolving into some third world laughing stock or can we recover? I do not care if we talk about this here; I just want other people to be talking about this in general.

Beldaran
05-27-2013, 04:15 PM
America has been power-stupid since day one. Not going to change for many decades, if ever. Try not to lose sleep over it.

Glenn the Great
05-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Could this be the answer to our power-stupidity?

Italian inventor Andrea Rossi, whose company Leonardo Corporation is based in the USA, claims to have demonstrated a reliable and practical "cold fusion" reaction:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/24/cold-fusion-research (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/24/cold-fusion-research)