PDA

View Full Version : All Completed Quest In One Big Download

tanookimonk
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi, My name is ben and i am a huge fan of zelda so when i came across your site i was amazed ! As i am a user of HyperSpin i am now trying to implement zelda classic into it ! But first i had to get the games so i downloaded all the Completed Quest on your site. So in all 289 Games available, 4 are broken links, i will list them at the end of this postl. So after everything was downloaded i had to rename a lot of them to the good name instead of just random characters.

But now all the big job is done ! i Made a complete pack of all games available all well named and i am wondering how we could share this database because i am sure that a lot of you would love to have a big one pack download, and this will gave the ability to share zelda classic with all Hyperspin users too so right now before going any further i am waiting for your answers.

This is the games that is no longer available on your server :

Pikachu's Quest - f0389e30.qst
Witch and the Labyrinth, The - 4e4f41e4.qst
Adventure in Rulleye - 588bf08a.qst
Lost Kingdom, The - 0458e581.qst

I am sending this post because i did not received any answer from evouga.at.g.mai.coml so i am hoping to have more luck here ! Thank you everyone !

P.S.: I cant wait to have some time to create my own and share it with you guys :P !

Chris Miller
05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
That sounds like a very large project! :D
Not sure what can be done about the missing quests, I'm afraid. A dev might be of more help.

Jamian
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
If you're really looking for completion, you should add the quests from purezc.com too.

Sorry to give you more work.

tanookimonk
05-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Well well well... I dont know why this theard has been moved at all because all i wanted is an official answer about if i can share this pack with people and if yes, then if it can be share everywhere or only on your site ?

Ventus
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
I would think it would be alright to share the pack. As long your not gonna charge people for it hehe :P

King Aquamentus
05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
You'll also have to contact PolygonX8 to get some of his quests.

Tim
05-16-2013, 10:59 AM
You'll also have to contact PolygonX8 to get some of his quests.

Never knew why they were removed. :(

King Aquamentus
05-17-2013, 08:46 AM
They were removed at his own request. Not sure why.

You used to be able to get them at EL (his community) but since that site died for the umpteenth time, you'll more than likely have to contact him for it.

Also, good luck getting permission from difficult-to-contact questmakers like pLeitorian, VEL, and especially Elise. Hope you've got a Ouija board.

....basically, I'm saying that what you're trying to do is difficult to the point of impossibility. If you need *all the quests* to do it, you're doing it wrong. For something like Hyperspin, there should be no need for you to have every quest in existence. Instead you should ask the developers of some of the best instead.

SUCCESSOR
05-17-2013, 04:45 PM
You don't need permission to share. While it is good etiquette no one has any legal claim to their quest. Least of all clearly label the quest by name, creator, and where it was downloaded from.

Why don't you share it all through a torrent? I would seed that indefinitely. Then you could leave the files unarchived so people wouldn't have to download the whole batch at once if they are low on space or already have the files. Also with magnet links you don't have to worry about hosting a torrent file anywhere.

Ventus
05-17-2013, 07:25 PM
I'll second that Torrent idea, If you do I'll try seeding as much as I can when I'm on Wifi.

Gleeok
05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
That is a very large download.
I'll second the ideas of torrent, filtering by category, version, best of, etc.. and also not in a monolithic archive, though if you've already gone through the work of packing them together I don't see why you'd need to undo that.

Sure, go ahead and make them available as a download.
It's also important that you link to armageddongames.net, zeldaclassic.net, and purezc.net since that is where newer zc versions can be downloaded, updates of the quests can be found, and where to go for help on a quest or to maybe contact the author.

tanookimonk
05-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Wow Thank You guys for all your suggestion and ideas ! Because of you i am now doing the same for PureZc ! If somebody could send me those PolygonX8 Quest i will put them too ! Honestly i find the idea of the torrent very good but for because of my internet connection i cant share by bittorrent ! But as soon as the pack is completed i will share it with you guys and then you will be able to share it ! Is that ok ?

Sephiroth
05-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm going to have to be one of the naysayers here, and state that I have only submitted my quests into the PureZC database, and they are only to be in the PureZC database. My quests that were uploaded into the AGN database were uploaded without my permission, and I want them removed from the AGN Quest database, as well as this eventual pack. If people want to get my quests, they know where to go.

Jamian
05-19-2013, 08:08 AM
I prefer letting people download quests from a specific place too, so that you can actually make updates to your stuff instead of having outdated versions floating around on the net. So the more I think about it, the more I think I'm not too hot on that idea.

If you put my quests in the file anyway, I ask that you please at least only use the versions found on PureZC. The AGN database is currently in "frozen" status and has been for a while; so, besides not featuring all my quests, the ones that are there are sometimes in an outdated version that I currently don't have the possibility to update. So PureZC is the place to find the good, up to date versions. I would prefer if you just linked to the official download pages instead of sharing actual files, though.

There's also the issue that the database is growing and being updated on a very regular basis (the PureZC one) so your file will always be quickly outdated unless you upgrade it on a weekly basis or so.

tanookimonk
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM
I understand your argument but in fact this is something that we have to deal about in hyperspin everyday as we have to keep updating all hyperbase but the work that we put in is worth it. By example there is new mugen and openbor games that came out very often and we have to keep updating those list but we do it because the final product itself is incredible.

But anyway all of your comment were very useful and i have started the same discussion on purezc and i think that we came to a compromise that i will talk with you guys as soon as i have more update about it !

Sephiroth
05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
I understand your argument but in fact this is something that we have to deal about in hyperspin everyday as we have to keep updating all hyperbase but the work that we put in is worth it. By example there is new mugen and openbor games that came out very often and we have to keep updating those list but we do it because the final product itself is incredible.

But anyway all of your comment were very useful and i have started the same discussion on purezc and i think that we came to a compromise that i will talk with you guys as soon as i have more update about it !

Well, regardless of how much work you guys do, I still do NOT want my quests hosted anywhere but the PureZC quest database, primarily because if there is an issue, I can submit an update to a single site versus managing multiples. If you do not listen to this request, I will see what I can do legally to have them forcefully removed. Thank you.

SUCCESSOR
05-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Sephiroth While we all appreciate you coming here and demanding "your" files be removed or you will take legal action instead of asking politely, the person doing this project is not affiliated with AGN and AGN has no rules against nor objections to the project. If the person who does said project decides to include "your" files it will be up to said person. Neither AGN nor PureZC can offer legal ownership of quests nor can either act beyond their respective websites. You should take a step back and realize that the person doing this seems to be a polite and reasonable person and respond in kind.

BTW your concern about the quest database should have been taken up in private with staff. That matter is in no way related to this topic. Our database is frozen right now and if you choose to file a complaint properly it will be looked over when something can be done about it. Also reporting this thread which in no way violates Forum Rules is, in my mind atleast, spam. Please think next time before acting.

If anyone else has objections with the quest bundle you can take them up with the person in charge of it politely in his thread or in private. Understand that since it is neither illegal nor a violation of AGN rules whether or not your quests are included with or without your permission the bundle will not be barred from being shared on AGN.

tanookimonk
05-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Dear Sephiroth,

I thank you for your concern but please understand that the last thing that i want is too hurt this community that include even you individually. I have no intention to share your amazing work if you not want to ! Like i said earlier a will still keep you up to date before doing anything.

Zim
05-19-2013, 11:06 PM
I agree, there's really nothing we can do about people sharing the files once they are uploaded and downloaded from any site really.. It's all under the GPL agreements.
My technical outlook on this whole situation with 'intellectual property' ownership is this:
Unless those people can prove to me that they somehow acquired the rights to the numbers 0 and 1, the "utility" patent on those numbers is all for anyone with the brains to use them, and from my point of view, I already knew about those things the first day I was conscious so I wouldn't accept any proof otherwise anyway. So technically speaking, since it is illegal to 'modify' an existing 'utility' and in essence reuse it's basic functionality with new modifications, i.e. tiny bits of matter and the counting/electrolytic displacement thereof, the whole concept of writing software and having a copyright on it is actually not really legit.
For the sake of less arguments with people who might have a different outlook on this whole idea though, I'll just omit that fact for the time being, and stick with the basic facts. This is like being handed a board, nail, and hammer, whatever different concoction you could come up with with those three items has probably already been done a million+++++ times, and is by all rights would not be a patentable, copyrightable, or trademarkable invention.
I learned in school that the "Mayans" were the first civilization to actually have the full understanding, conception, etc. of the number 0: Therefor the Mayans actually own any and all patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc. to any "utility" or "intellectual" property derived from or utilizing the number 0 according to U.S.P.T.O. law.
Native Pride baby!
Edit: It shouldn't be a problem to just leave Sephiroth's stuff out like you guys said anyway. I wouldn't really like my stuff to be on a bundle file either, I mean, it's not the 90's anymore, but 'back in the day' that sort of thing was a big no-no. Third party sites and peer to peer are just asking for viruses and give the filetype a bad name if and when they do something bad to the computer.
Even people that don't know it's even a problem give the files problems when they run them on different systems and then share the file. I went through almost every Windows edition available to the general public and sometimes when I would (before this new system that has 'run as ____') run the programs in different O/Ses they would not even read basic notepad .txt files the right way and have extra block characters all over the place where there was just a spacebar or other whitespace. That sort of thing can happen to the main game files when they are read and when they are resaved and then sent to the system they actually worked on again they won't work there either if someone doesn't know that, and if they don't know that, then reshare the file they cause problems for other people.

I don't know for sure if this could or would happen to a ZC file, especially just the .qst, no extra import for ZScript 'import .z', because I didin't even check to see if ZC runs on 98- though.

King Aquamentus
05-20-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't want my quests in it either.

Gleeok
05-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Quick, someone get in touch with TNT and let them know that AGN knows drama more than them. Their R&D division needs to hear about this.

Sephiroth: I will personally delete your quests from the DB if that makes you feel any better, but as was pointed out it's not easily doable atm. They've been there for over 8 years and downloaded and played by numerous people since then, so I have to wonder why the sudden need to get them removed asap.

As for the hyperspin idea I think it's safe to say that he has only good intentions of getting a zc pack put together for it, but because of the amount of resistance he's receiving both here and on purezc I see only one alternative course of events where everyone is happy: These "lots of quests in big downloads" need to be assembled or edited by the zc community and quest makers themselves.

tanookimonk
05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Ok Guys so my first idea of making a big download pack is not a way to go and everything about quest files download will not be part of my project. I greatly appreciate your honestly and what i am doing now is a list of all quest based from a csv from purezc in xml format compatible for hyperspin. in this xml files all author name will be associated with the quest name. Maybe i will also have to create a batch file for renaming quest to a their quest name instead of "q263.zip" for example.

So if i am doing it this way is it ok for everyone ?

King Aquamentus
05-20-2013, 11:01 PM
tanookimonk, to assemble a huge download of all these quests would mean doing a lot of searching, as some are hosted privately. It would be best, if at all possible, to start with a few and add more over time.

Chris Miller
05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
What you're doing is great, and that sounds like a good concept. But I agree with KA, start small and work your way up.

SUCCESSOR
05-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Load phpmyadmin, run query on database:

DELETE FROM `quests` WHERE `id` = 157
DELETE FROM `quests` WHERE `id` = 460
DELETE FROM `quests` WHERE `id` = 463

Open FTP, locate and delete the zips for the three quests.

Removed from database. Not impossible to do, you guys just don't want to do it.

Gleeok: Only one of those quests are in there from 2004, the other two were uploaded when cad took over agn and was scraping databases for quests without peoples' consent, and thus my other two quests were uploaded to it without my consent. Besides, I'd rather keep my quests in ONE spot so I don't have to deal with updates in multiples, ... especially when this database lacks the necessary features to perform updates.

Can you really be this dense? We have a forum dedictated to off topic threads. We have GD in which going a little off topic is not frowned upon. And yet here in this thread after being told not to do so you continue.

You have been told that your quests will not and cannot be removed at this time. Our database is frozen and will continue to be so until the new site is launched. We are not obligated to describe the specifics of that situation. We are also not required to do whatever you like when you come in here bitching. Whether your quests were added to the database with out your permission is irrelevant. I could care less. If you would have done as I asked I would have happily removed them as soon as it was possible. Keep on getting on my nerves and I will make sure they stay in the database till the day I die.

Last Warning: Any posts made in this thread that do not pertain to the topic will receive an official warning for spam. Any more off topic posts here from you, sephiroth, will result in an infraction. I will not state this again. Your concerns about our database are to be taken up in private(IRC, PM, Email, snail mail, fax, telepathy, telegraphy, heiroglyphs take your pick). Honestly though, I don't see anything else that can be said on the issue.

tanookimonk I am sorry your thread was hijacked. IMHO a list isn't such a great idea as your original one. We already have two databases that function like that. I personally say to go on with your original idea and make a mass download of all quests and if some members politely request their stuff removed then replace them with a link. Either way don't let people being douchebags get in your way. There is no risk of lawsuits.

Gleeok
05-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Ok Guys so my first idea of making a big download pack is not a way to go and everything about quest files download will not be part of my project. I greatly appreciate your honestly and what i am doing now is a list of all quest based from a csv from purezc in xml format compatible for hyperspin. in this xml files all author name will be associated with the quest name. Maybe i will also have to create a batch file for renaming quest to a their quest name instead of "q263.zip" for example.

So if i am doing it this way is it ok for everyone ?

I look forward to seeing this in action. Please make a video showing ZC-hyperspin in action when you finish!

Also, ZC requires the quest file to be extracted from the .zip file first. Normally you would want to put all .qst files into the same folder. The "q263.zip" will have the correct quest filename inside it, at least it should, but the filename may not match the quest name as listed in the database.

tanookimonk
05-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Thank you SUCCESSOR for your tip but as my project involve this community and purezc i must admit that i prefer to do not make this big download actually, may be in the future. The fact that i am doing this Xml files will give the ability to all hyperspin user to implement zelda classic very easily and will also create new potential quest creator and contributor to your community and i think that this is very important and this is what really count. Finally what you guys made me realize is people that will make the effort to download their quest manually is because they really want to play and to know more about zelda classic !

And Gleeok This is actually somethin that we had to deal with other system. We will propably end ud to create a script that will do this automayicly !

SUCCESSOR
05-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Sounds cool I don't know much about what you are doing. Anything that brings attention to ZC is great.