PDA

View Full Version : FF1 Hard-Type Hack. (FF1 Terrors)

Gleeok
05-15-2013, 04:36 AM
I just stumbled across an old NES FF1 hack I made in 2007 and completely forgot about it until now. Gotta love it when you have a random folder called "ips" in some even more random location on your hard drive! Ahh...memories.

I called it FF1 Terrors because, well, it's fucking terrifying. I remember not actually being able to beat this game when I made it because my White Wiz. kept dying in the Temple of Chaos, (If you don't have a White or Red Wizard there it is extremely, unbelievably, rage-quit hard.) and it took a ROM edit for that map to do it. -Although the game is much less of a grind-fest than the original, the battles are are potential killers. It's more of a risk-reward romp and exp, gold are handed out by the bucket load. If you can survive the first random battle, for example, all your characters will level up.

Here are my notes on it from around the time it was made:

"
If you thought the original FF was already too hard then you may as well just stop reading right here, because you certainly have no chance of beating this version.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/ffTerror.png

RE-BALANCE EVERYTHING
*The weapons/armor/stats/enemies/classes were rebuilt from the ground up.

Characters.

All the classes are now equally useful. For example; the thief is no longer utterly useless in battle but quite the contrary. Classes also have better "class" specific weapons and gear.
*Black-Belts can now equip armor with no penalty to evade or defense, and have been tweaked. The armor types are limited however.
*The Ninja is ridiculously fast at high levels, can use LV7 black magic, and can paralyze and KO enemies with attacks. Combine that with very high hit% and evade% and you actually have a pretty bad-ass Ninja class.
*Magic classes and stats are also more sane. No longer will your White Mage have higher HP than your thief for example.
*Paladins can now use up to LV7 white magic as well.

Spells.

This was created from a bug-fixed patch, so all spells work fine. In addition, they have all been re-balanced and are ALL equally useful, unlike in the original where some spells just plain sucked. Some have been changed/modified/upgraded/removed.
*If you try and play this without at least one magic user in your party you will probably die! That should tell you something.

Enemies.

All enemies stats have been changed. Some have extra weaknesses, abilities, spells, attacks, defenses, etc than they did in the original. Imps can now multi-hit!
*In addition there are now many more 'mini bosses' that will terrorize you. ...Sometimes running for your life is the best way to catch it. :P
*Always save before fighting bosses!

Equipment.

Weapons/Armor are completely changed and are more balanced. All classes can now equip class specific armor which will provide protection from various status effects/ elements, etc. so it is much more useful for some classes.

Grinding.

Exp.ponts have been re-calculated so as too avoid grinding as much as possible. For example: Remember how when you first got to Elfland you had too walk in circles fighting ogre/creep battles for hours? No more! Hopefully leveling up is much more continuous and less clunky. Also enemies give out more exp or gold in many cases just for this reason. Mashing the attack button in many cases is hardly a good idea against your average Joe, and never a good idea against bosses.
"

Download the patch here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mymgmdy3yem/FF1Terror.ips

Also I recommend swapping between save states instead of just using one. The reason for this is that the random number seed/generator used in the NES game is not very random, and is persistent over states. AKA you might suffer perma-die loop from an ambush.

Although it's very unlikely anyone would actually want to play this, I figured I'd post it anyway! :tongue:

Tim
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/017/6/6/challenge_accepted__by_cakemonsta-d37gl7x.png

I'm going to try this.

mrz84
05-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Nice. I've always thought every version of Final Fantasy 1 I've played was too easy, but then again I'm the type who likes grinding for XP and Gold in RPGs and be overleveled and stuff. I'll give this a try.