PDA

View Full Version : No Press Conference for Nintendo

WindStrike
04-25-2013, 03:25 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/no-nintendo-press-conference-at-e3-2013

So they're forgoing the "all-in-one" press conference this year in favor of a bunch of smaller events. My guess is that usually, at press conferences, they show more than games (hardware stuff, new Wii U/3DS features, etc.), but this year, the only thing they have to show is games. ... and that's quite frankly all they need to show. I am personally actually cool with this, especially combined with the fact that recent years have not exactly had "good" press conferences.

mrz84
04-25-2013, 06:33 AM
I have to agree. The one (of two) things stopping me from getting a Wii U right now is the lack of good games. Its what they need to focus now right now if they wanna get ahead of the PS4 and Durango(or whatever MS is calling that new abomination of their's)

Glenn the Great
04-25-2013, 03:30 PM
The big problem with the Wii U is that it brings nothing new to the table except for one awkward gimmick.
People aren't going to pay $300 for that, especially if they already own a Wii.

The kind of games that Nintendo's market of casual gamers are interested in are still going to be produced for the normal Wii, which has fallen to easily affordable levels.

I think that Nintendo should bow out of the console market but stay in the handheld market, and start making console games for the other systems.

Dechipher
04-25-2013, 04:48 PM
I think that Nintendo should bow out of the console market but stay in the handheld market, and start making console games for the other systems.

That's a pretty short-sighted sentiment, wouldn't you agree? The Wii was a profitable console, and I'm sure the Wii U will be as well, though not as much. The Wii U is to the Wii what the Gamecube was to the Nintendo 64. They'll come out with something else in a few years that won't just be a souped-up Wii with a touchscreen, and they will probably rock everyone's world with that. I think they'd need quite a few years without success to consider dropping to software-only, especially considering first-party Nintendo is what sells their consoles.

Zim
04-25-2013, 05:10 PM
The Wii U brings to the Wii, in combination with internet connection and wifi keyboard and other peripherals, a way for the 'gaming' console to be used for just about anything that digital software can be used for, once the software applications are downloaded and/or modded to it. The main thing I supposed the console itself would have as a feature with the touchscreen 3DS style was that it could be used as a hardware base for other cameras like the 3DS, have a touchscreen like the 3DS, and be used for anything from drafting, with scaling dimension-finding program software via internet streaming or memory cards, to drawing live in a 'internet classroom' style media format, and actually be used along with the rest of the control schemes to be used as a University Class education tool for all the people who do home schooling via the internet nowadays that don't have all the peripherals for their PCs, the Wii U would essentially come bundled with everything someone would need to be able to handle any and all type of digital media communication, with multiple styles of control schemes.
So if you didn't know, the name Wii U is actually because of the idea of the Wii U being used for University. :)

Glenn the Great
04-25-2013, 06:07 PM
That's a pretty short-sighted sentiment, wouldn't you agree? The Wii was a profitable console, and I'm sure the Wii U will be as well, though not as much. The Wii U is to the Wii what the Gamecube was to the Nintendo 64. They'll come out with something else in a few years that won't just be a souped-up Wii with a touchscreen, and they will probably rock everyone's world with that. I think they'd need quite a few years without success to consider dropping to software-only, especially considering first-party Nintendo is what sells their consoles.

Short-sighted... maybe. As for the rest, you can mark my words that Wii U is going to go down in history as a stinker on the level the Virtual Boy.

January 2013, sales for Wii U were something like 60,000-70,000 units. And that's only its second month!
By comparison, the XBox 360, a 7-year old console, sold over 300,000 units that same month. Explain that math to me!

Word has it that Nintendo is already considering going the software-only route.

Zim
04-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I just had a guy call me today claiming he was a Microsoft Service personnel of some sort that didn't even know the difference between hardware and software, he said my computer was a Windows computer, and that Windows is hardware. I wouldn't believe all the would-be facts from people nowadays.

SUCCESSOR
04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
The Wii U won't flop as bad as many are proclaiming. If done right the Wii U could pull in some decent sales and make a name for it's self in the long run. What Ninny needs to do is get the word out there on this thing. Many people still think it's a tablet for the Wii. They need to get a lot of casual/mobile games on WiiWare for cheap or free.

If anything Nintendo will repack the console with the Pro controller included and start marketing a more orthodox console gameplay that still supports tablet and motion control games. And it might still flop but Ninny will do what they can and bounce back in the next generation. They made a lot of mistakes but it wont bury them.

Nimono
04-26-2013, 10:49 PM
The Wii U won't flop as bad as many are proclaiming. If done right the Wii U could pull in some decent sales and make a name for it's self in the long run. What Ninny needs to do is get the word out there on this thing. Many people still think it's a tablet for the Wii. They need to get a lot of casual/mobile games on WiiWare for cheap or free.

If anything Nintendo will repack the console with the Pro controller included and start marketing a more orthodox console gameplay that still supports tablet and motion control games. And it might still flop but Ninny will do what they can and bounce back in the next generation. They made a lot of mistakes but it wont bury them.

People still think it's just a Wii peripheral? SEE, NINTENDO, THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD'VE CALLED IT THE NINTENDO CAFE OR SOMETHING, NOT WIIU. YOU DID THE SAME WITH 3DS AND PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WAS JUST DS GAMES IN 3D SOMEHOW. lol

Speaking of the 3DS, didn't it somewhat flop in its first few months? A much-needed price cut plus a handful of GREAT games for the system have been saving it; in fact, I'm hearing a lot of people now claim that the 3DS is a great system now that it has a lot more games, so if Nintendo delivers great stuff for WiiU this year, they could easily bounce back. Market the heck out of this thing, show WHY people should buy it...yeah, I'm sure people will flock to it.

also earthbound coming to it at last can't hurt. :P

SUCCESSOR
04-27-2013, 12:07 AM
I should have said that too. Part of the reason the Wii U is failing is because the lack of top notch games. Once the big names start rolling out the Wii U will start seeing some good sales.

Zim
04-27-2013, 12:41 PM
I have to admit that I feel personally responsible on the level of receiving transmissions about Wii U and the 3DS a flop so far because I haven't personally purchased either of those systems.
Earthbound on 3DS is a definite must-buy for me though, and the Wii U, I suppose that Zombie U game is a future sale for that console, and I am also waiting on news about the Skyward Sword remake for Wii U, with slightly better graphics and the map interface on the tablet.
My budget has been really tight lately when it comes to electronics though with my purchase of the computer I've been working on creating media with I haven't had the funds to just go game-buy happy and buy the newest consoles and handhelds. It was a choice between buying a laptop I can write with, a game console, or getting my driver's license bills squared away last year, and I chose a computer because I knew that it would be the more long-term useful item to buy, because of my plans of writing my own video game code, and making remixed video media.

mrz84
04-27-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm with you on Earthbound for the 3DS. I make it a point whenever I fill in the surveys at Club Nintendo when they ask: "What will bring you back to the eshop?" by typing that in with whatever snarky/witty remark I can come up with.

On another note, I haven't beard anything about a Skyward Sword remake for Wii U with updates or whatever, been then again the LttP sequel almost went under my radar if it weren't for two thing. 1: I subsribe to several different gaming new cahnnels on youtube. 2: AGN (for obvious reasons)

rock_nog
04-28-2013, 01:38 PM
I've always been a die-hard Nintendo fan... I believed in the DS when people doubted it, and I still don't regret buying a Wii, but I just don't see a reason to own a Wii U yet. As others have said, the software just isn't there. The best thing I've seen so far that wasn't a port is simply a rehash of NSMB, and as much as I love the NSMB games, I don't feel it's a "must buy." They need something epic, like a new Zelda, or maybe a new Metroid Prime, or something, to convince me that it's even worth considering.

Nimono
04-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Earthbound on 3DS is a definite must-buy for me though
It's not on 3DS, it's on WiiU.

I do agree the WiiU has a severe lack of good games on it right now, but they're really bolstering the 3DS and giving people reason to buy it, so hopefully, they'll be doing the same for WiiU soon. Perhaps this E3, since they're still going to show off stuff?

Zim
04-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Earthbound on Wii U sounds even better.

Gleeok
05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
I was pretty much done with Nintendo after the N64. Sad to say it. :\
I've got a GC, but it seems like game-developers since the days of the 64 will only release titles I'm interested in on the DS, 3DS, GBA. I don't expect that to change much with the 'U' either.

If there's any next gen console that's going to hold a monopoly on titles much like the SNES did in the 90's, it's probably going to be the PS4 due to it's hardware. As long as Sony isn't the least bit stingy with its dev-kits/licensing it could happen.