PDA

View Full Version : Demo EX Quest Extra Mode broken in 2.50

maharito
04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Doubly sad because I had to play through the game TWICE (once with the zc.com quest download, and once with the different version that comes with ZC v2.1) to confirm that this is indeed a problem with the new game version. Since the quest is not editable and I don't have editing experience anyway, I can't really say anything about the nature of the problem.

It seems like from what I remember, every few seconds the game is supposed to shift you from one map to another, each representing a different phase of the extra dungeon emerging from the ground. In v2.50, instead, it seems to shift you to the same map over and over again every few seconds (noted by your character being teleported to a standard position every so often, but all other displayed things remain). As a result, you're stuck in the first frame of the emerging dungeon "animation".

I was looking forward to reviving interest in this epic challenge by posting a hint guide for it, but now I can't get to the last part...oh, woe and unrequited love!

...In other obviously unrelated news, I beat Demo Quest EX in one sitting and without saving today: 5 deaths, 5:08:12. Beat that!

Gleeok
04-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like an easy fix in the quest file or a perhaps not so easy compat bug fix. I'm not entirely sure what version of ZQuest DemoEX was last saved in, however. It might be from an old beta version and it should simply be updated to a 2.5 quest file in that case.

...In other obviously unrelated news, I beat Demo Quest EX in one sitting and without saving today: 5 deaths, 5:08:12. Beat that!

Not too shabby. Not too shabby indeed.
Back in the day I beat it with with 0 deaths. :)

maharito
04-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh hey, I was just checking in. This forum seems awfully dead for there just having been a major release. Perhaps I can help fire up new interest in Zelda Classic. I graduate in a month, and then I'll be free to try to promote some of this stuff, perhaps through Youtube playthroughs.

Glad to see you're active, Gleeok; I remember the name. Good luck with the fix, and keep me posted. I look forward to finishing this quest. Any other classic-style challenges like this one?

EDIT: I could've probably shaved half an hour off the time, but I am a completionist and insisted in picking up every single item and opening every single passageway in the game (including all bombable walls). Ended with 16 rupees short of a perfect inventory. So call me nutty.

Gleeok
04-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it's been a little slow here since the site got rebooted.

Glad to see you're active, Gleeok; I remember the name. Good luck with the fix, and keep me posted. I look forward to finishing this quest. Any other classic-style challenges like this one?

You ever play James Quest 1? That would be next in line difficulty-wise after DemoEX for challenge oriented quests, and is a personal favorite of mine. I'd suggest checking that one out. :)

XMuppetSB
04-10-2013, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like an easy fix in the quest file or a perhaps not so easy compat bug fix. I'm not entirely sure what version of ZQuest DemoEX was last saved in, however. It might be from an old beta version and it should simply be updated to a 2.5 quest file in that case.

It was made in 1.92 Beta 1.83.

maharito
04-10-2013, 09:11 AM
It was made in 1.92 Beta 1.83.

The one packaged with 2.10 is "version 2.10.1" and was made with 2.10. Gleeok's probably figured that out by now, but whatever. It's weird the error happens the same way in two different versions.

Saffith
07-29-2013, 02:14 AM
It used to be possible to offset overworld DMaps, but someone thoroughly disallowed that at some point. Fixed now.