PDA

View Full Version : Promotion...kinda

Brasel
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
So I'm moving from my part time 32 hour job to a new position! I'll be doing the same thing, just for 40 hours a week instead.

I was previously only working 32 hours a week because I'm also going to school for my CMIS degree. My last two semesters will only have classes after 6 PM, so I decided to go ahead and let my employer know that I was willing to move to a full time position. The position includes a pretty hefty raise, as well as benefits that I didn't have before. I'm pretty excited to be moving forward and making decent money.

Anyone else experiencing recent successes with employment?

CJC
04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Not at the moment, but I hope to soon. I'm going back to college this fall, and I'm hoping the university's connections will lead to a better job.

Congrats on your promotion!

Brasel
04-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks. Good luck at school. What are you looking to major in?

CJC
04-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Mathematics (Pure and Applied, if possible, or just applied if not), with a minor in Science (Physics, specifically). My Associate's Degree covers all the general education requirements, so I'll be starting at a third-year standing.

Dechipher
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm applying next fall for dual enrollment in DMA and MM programs, while my girl will be applying for jobs, so we will have to see how that goes...

Beldaran
04-05-2013, 10:38 PM
That's good news, I'm glad you'll be getting benefits.

Anyone else experiencing recent successes with employment?

I've been extremely, embarrassingly fortunate the past few years and have been able to work at two really challenging, interesting jobs. My current job is sort of a dream job scenario, so I'm humbled and grateful and wide-eyed with disbelief.

CJC: I did an applied mathematics degree a few years ago. It's a great major. Make sure you learn some software engineering on your own, as it is a handy job skill that goes well with a math degree.

mrz84
04-06-2013, 01:03 AM
The hotel I work for had renovations done in 2012 and I'm back as a full-time employee this time. Its about 30+ hours with benefits and I live a block from the hotel so I save tons on gas (especially since I don't own a car anyways).

Glenn the Great
04-12-2013, 01:13 AM
I'd say I'm doing pretty well as far as employment goes.

I've been working as a programmer at this place for over 5 years now, and in that time I've received two promotions. I cannot be promoted again without being moved into management (which is something I'm not interested in at this point in my life).
My boss is great, my co-workers are great, and the workload isn't overly demanding most of the time.
I have an official arrangement that lets me work from home about 80% of the time.
I make a middle-class salary. I can pay my bills and have enough money left over to live comfortably and spend on hobbies.

I think you could safely consider it a dream job.

Brasel
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I can't wait until I'm at that point. I could have been had I decided not to go to college after I got out of the army.