PDA

View Full Version : Custom boss making help

SkipperThePenguin100
04-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Ok i've almost completed my first dungeon in my own quest, but i can't find a good tutorial (which has commands on how to proceed making bosses) on making custom bosses, i'm using ZQuest 2.50. Is there a tutorial how to make bosses in the recent version of ZQuest?

Here's the screenshot of a boss i'm making:
http://i.imgur.com/E850XJh.png

CJC
04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
There are two ways to build a custom boss. You can construct a boss from pre-programmed Zelda 1 enemies and bosses using the Enemy Editor, or you can script the boss from scratch.

The latter gives you more control, but it is more difficult as well. You'll need to tell us what you want the boss to do.

I won't be able to help you, since I'm not a guru with scripted enemies, but I'm sure somebody on the board can help if they know what you're shooting for.

SkipperThePenguin100
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
There are two ways to build a custom boss. You can construct a boss from pre-programmed Zelda 1 enemies and bosses using the Enemy Editor, or you can script the boss from scratch.

The latter gives you more control, but it is more difficult as well. You'll need to tell us what you want the boss to do.

I won't be able to help you, since I'm not a guru with scripted enemies, but I'm sure somebody on the board can help if they know what you're shooting for.
i choose Enemy Editor way, anyone can make a tutorial how to make a decent good boss using the Enemy Editor or there is one?

bigjoe
04-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Well, there are actually more than two ways. I guess you could call the third way "Screen Manipulation".(Which can be intermixed with Enemy Editing) With Screen Manipulation you can use Combo Flags, Enemies, Screen Flags, and Warp Timers to construct things that are more complex than simple enemy edits. Since the introduction of scripting, people tend to avoid the Screen Manipulation route, but I imagine that it's still viable, especially given that the enemy editor can now provide a deeper level of function for it.

How do you want this enemy to function? If you give me a general idea I can suggest a route to go, maybe even offer some explanation. Not sure I'd write a tutorial, but you never know..