PDA

View Full Version : Linked to the Past [Quest Announcement]

Jamian
03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
"Linked to the Past"

A ZC 2.50 quest by Jamian

Get it from here: http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=372
Latest version is 1.79, please upgrade if you're still playing this :)

In case you are wondering, it is a completely original quest, I've chosen that name because the storyline involves Link travelling to the past, and also obviously as a nod to the great SNES LttP game, but it is not a remake or anything, it is a completely new quest.

When the story begins, Link has just become an adult and must pass three trials to prove himself worthy as a fighter. After he succeeds with the trials, everybody in the village is getting ready for a celebration, but then Ganon shows up and ruins everything. Guess who is going to be sent to fix things up?

This is a big quest that will keep you busy for a long time if you're enjoying it.

A few facts about the quest:

- 30 different dungeons
- 20-30 hours of gameplay
- Each dungeon is guarded by a custom boss, and there are also a few sub-bosses thrown in for good measure, so I hope you enjoy fighting bosses as much as I do
- Like my previous quests, it takes influences from several Zelda games but the biggest influence is still Zelda 1, so if you're a Zelda 1 hater, this is probably not for you
- Many optional secrets to find

Some screenshots:

http://s23.postimage.org/gt4jetlgr/zelda003.png
Before the main game begins, you have to go through three trials in Lynna Forest

http://s23.postimage.org/foah9fyzv/zelda001.png
Custom bosses galore!

http://s23.postimage.org/nv2h10p2j/zelda002.png
A trip to the library... some books are helpful, others are harmful

http://s23.postimage.org/v0u83gy5n/zelda004.png
Meet some crazy Peahat lovers in Peahat Ridge

http://s23.postimage.org/c9satb3l7/zelda005.png
This boulder is rolling after you Raiders of the Lost Ark style

http://s23.postimage.org/nneu4ie3v/zelda006.png
Sneak past the Moblin Guards without being seen, Metal Gear style

http://s23.postimage.org/w6y829mgb/zelda007.png
A well deserved rest (?) enjoying music

http://s23.postimage.org/dfwas3rvv/zelda008.png
A trip to Death Mountain

http://s23.postimage.org/ye723xh4b/zelda009.png
Vampire's Castle is a tribute to the first Castlevania game

http://s23.postimage.org/5pu40pey3/zelda010.png
A mine cart ride

Thanks to the ZC developers and to anyone else who has helped in some big or small way to make this quest possible :)

Credits:

Quest design: Jamian
Tileset: Radien
Extra tiles: Anthus, Bayta, Beefster, Bourkification, CastChaos, Eric X, Evile, GameLink7, Jamian, Jeremy850, Jupiter, KingHarkinian, Nicklegends, NineLives, NoeL, PrinceMSC, Shonox, Teeks, Venom343,Warlock
Scripts: MoscowModder, Blackbishop89, Saffith, Joe123, Orin XD, Theryan, Jamian
Music: Vgmusic.com for the most part, with minor musical arrangements by Jamian
Testers: Arieltap, Artistic, Chiefbigcalf, Gold Ring, Mister Snooze, Ryunaker

ctrl-alt-delete
04-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Jamian, did you have anything to do with your quest being featured on gbatemp?

Dashie
04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Here is video that I played your quest. Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLExyZ2V9Tde9PUN4ChHDFjE6lehjrLo3g&feature=view_all)

Jamian
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Jamian, did you have anything to do with your quest being featured on gbatemp?

Nope. While browsing the net I found by chance that they had uploaded it there, but it was without my permission.

Do you know these guys? I'd prefer if my quests were only featured on zeldaclassic.com and purezc.com. The reason is that I want to be able to make updates and have these two places where people can download the most up to date version, rather than have older versions floating around on the net.

Joki81
04-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi Jamian,

Just wanted to say that Im really enjoying your quests. Stranded was great. This is better!

Are you planning on doing a walkthrough?

Jamian
04-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks!

Not at the moment... I can answer questions if somebody gets stuck though. Walkthroughs may be in order, but probably much later.

Joki81
04-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Level 3: Cursed River. Where do i find my first key?

NVM.... Very sneaky hiding the clue under the bush... And the key behind the tree!

Ive now got the red candle... been burning every bush i can see... No idea where to go next.... Can you help?

Jamian
04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Use the hookshot to access new areas.

Joki81
04-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Havent got the hookshot yet. Where do i get that?

Jamian
04-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Oh, ok. In that case, explore the past with your raft.

Joki81
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Oh, ok. In that case, explore the past with your raft.

Ok. Found the spiky dungeon. The room in the very top right corner is different. ... One touch from the spikes and your dead. Cant get to the big key?

Jamian
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I assume you have the hookshot by now. Use it to get across these spikes.

Joki81
04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I assume you have the hookshot by now. Use it to get across these spikes.

I rammed into one of the bats and jumped the last gap...

Where do I go next? The library on the tomb in the desert?

Decided to go to the library... Not sure which shelf in which room the following clue is referring to: BURNSHELFINREDROOM

Jamian
04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
You can complete these in any order, but I'd recommend the desert crypt first - it'll make the library easier.

Joki81
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
You can complete these in any order, but I'd recommend the desert crypt first - it'll make the library easier.

Ok. But which shelf do i burn?

LOL I just fluked my way through the maze section... What a guess! ENNWN

Nevermind... I just found it... The red room is right next to the start!

I see what you mean now... Cant kill the boss without the bow!

Joki81
04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Wonderful! Now Im stuck in the crypt, the clue at the end of the maze says to bomb under the sun.... Been bombing the whole room. Cant find anything!!!

Jamian
04-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Look for a sun symbol in one particular room... and bomb it :)

Joki81
04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Look for a sun symbol in one particular room... and bomb it :)

Any hints as to which particular room that is? Ive been bombing the big sun which fires fireballs at me. Nevermind... found it! You sure are sneaky!

Now im stuck in the Library, my metal sword wont damage the boss!

Sorry man, didn't try all my weapons! Books are made to be burnt aren't they?

Joki81
04-13-2013, 06:20 AM
LOL. Just got to the moblin camp. Cant get past the 2nd screen.

You're quite right tho... this level does remind you of Terranigma. Norfest forest... Look for secret paths behind trees.

Joki81
04-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Lol definately like Terranigma. How do you get past the holes in the graveyard of the Zombie Town?

Jamian
04-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Just jump over them!

Joki81
04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Just jump over them!

Duh!!! Thanks.

Joki81
04-13-2013, 11:02 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for all your help thus far.

Ive made it all the way to Level 6, the wizard layer. An welcoming committee was present.

I must say that Im finding the monsters tougher in here though. Do I get a better sword soon?

Also, Ive not made much progress on the trading sequence. The last trade I made was with the ghost on the east side of the map. Bone for his key. Where do I need to be looking for the next trade?

NB: Why a musical note room? Thats gonna take ages to figure!

Yep, that room is real tough to recreate the song of storms. Still not figured it!

Ok, these bunnies laying fire are annoying too..

Joki81
04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
So how do I kill the bunnies in the wizard castle? They seem to be stunned by the wand... But nothing else seems to work.

Jamian
04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
You have to use your environment.

There is one item you can also use to make them stay sill and make your task easier.

Joki81
04-13-2013, 06:53 PM
You have to use your environment.

There is one item you can also use to make them stay sill and make your task easier.

I kind of found that the monster bait works for that. But the wand only stuns them? Or does it kill them? What about the frogs? Any way of killing them?

Got bored waiting for you to reply, played on (leaving Level 6) and got to Crab beach. Im missing a 3rd key to progress further past the gohma. Any hints on where the 3rd key is?

Jamian
04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
You have to use the mirrors to kill the rabbits. They are vulnerable to reflected shots from the wand AND from the sword, if you can fire a beam.

For Crab Beach: one key is hidden behind a tree, in a partially hidden screen; one key is obtained by killing a crab; one key is obtained by following the statue's instructions

Joki81
04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
You have to use the mirrors to kill the rabbits. They are vulnerable to reflected shots from the wand AND from the sword, if you can fire a beam.

For Crab Beach: one key is hidden behind a tree, in a partially hidden screen; one key is obtained by killing a crab; one key is obtained by following the statue's instructions

Ive got 2 keys: (1) Cut down a bush behind a tree, and walk right to find the key.
(2) Playing the ocarina in the square of bushes.

So I guess I am missing the key I get from killing a crab right?

I see now! Missed the ocarina spot!

Joki81
04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, Ive just got the level 2 bow, and I think Im going to turn in for the night.

It doesn't seem to help me in getting over the pits though. I guess Ive got to use somewhere it to get the L2 hookshot? Any hints would be appreciated.

Joki81
04-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Once again fella, have no idea what to do now ive got the L2 bow.

Seriously man, you coded in the wrong item... Should have been the L2 hookshot after killing that gohma!

Also, whats next after the key in the trading sequence?

Jamian
04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
After the key, go to Peahat Ridge.

Don't worry, you will find the hookshot too... Have you found the blob and killed him?

Joki81
04-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Once again fella, have no idea what to do now ive got the L2 bow.

Seriously man, you coded in the wrong item... Should have been the L2 hookshot after killing that gohma!

Also, whats next after the key in the trading sequence?

OMG, this has got to be the hardest puzzle in the entire game. That stone is so easily overlooked on the screen next to the bow.

Joki81
04-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Great! Stuck again!

This time in level 8. I cant seem to kill the gohma that spews fire. My arrows dont work. Neither does my level 2 hookshot.

Im also not able to get into the cave just outside the training ground.

My guess is that I need silver arrows from somewhere... But have no clue where to get them.

Joki81
04-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Ive also progressed in the trading sequence... I now have the Yoshi doll. Im guessing I need the hammer before I get the next trade right?

No idea where the book of wisdom is either?

Jamian
04-14-2013, 12:57 PM
You can't obtain the Book of Wisdom yet.

I take it you haven't completed the Forest of Illusion, go there first. There is a sign nearby telling you literally how to get there.

Joki81
04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
You can't obtain the Book of Wisdom yet.

I take it you haven't completed the Forest of Illusion, go there first. There is a sign nearby telling you literally how to get there.

Yes. Been to the forest, got the lens of truth.

Im struggling though with killing the Gohma inside level 8. Resistant to everything!

Joki81
04-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Aha! I see now. Secret shop selling the mirror shield!

Joki81
04-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Finished Level 8 now. Thanks for all your help.

Want some guidance about which level to take on next.

The Ghost Cave, Poisonous Garden, or is there somewhere else I should go?

Oh by the way, been doing some reading after getting the book of wisdom.

Whats that goddess statue above Lynna Village in the past talking about?

Joki81
04-14-2013, 05:19 PM
What the hell is going on in the ghost cave?

An infinitely spawning room of blue mirror robe ghosts? You got to be kidding me! How do you get past that without the red tunic?

And what about the big ghost boss to the west? How the hell do you kill that?

Joki81
04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Seriously man WTF?

The ghost cave is a crazy place (but well designed and your ideas are brilliant!)! Finally finished it now, the only good thing about that level was the fact it was a short walk to the potion shop! :D

So wheres the red tunic?

NVM, just finished the sewers.

Joki81
04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Well, its been fun! But Im having real trouble killing Ganon. Very annoying with all the fireballs flying around.

Any hints on how to kill Ganon?

Im guessing I need Nayru's Lore... But dont know where it is.

Jamian
04-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Nayru's Love is not necessary to kill Ganon. Its main use is to unlock an extra tidbit in the ending for the completists.

It is in Ganon's Fortress, very close to the stairway leading to Ganon's fight. There's a walkthrough wall. The thing is: you need to have picked up every heart piece to be able to get it, hence why it is a "completist" item.

To kill Ganon, preferably bring a red potion, and try to deflect the fireballs with your shield as often as possible. Since they follow you around, ignoring them usually ends with them hitting you. Don't rush through the fight and don't be too greedy on the hits you can inflict to Ganon in a single time. Focus on defending yourself and I'm sure you can make it.

edit: I'm assuming you have found the purple tunic in Ganon's Fortress.

Joki81
04-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Nayru's Love is not necessary to kill Ganon. Its main use is to unlock an extra tidbit in the ending for the completists.

It is in Ganon's Fortress, very close to the stairway leading to Ganon's fight. There's a walkthrough wall. The thing is: you need to have picked up every heart piece to be able to get it, hence why it is a "completist" item.

To kill Ganon, preferably bring a red potion, and try to deflect the fireballs with your shield as often as possible. Since they follow you around, ignoring them usually ends with them hitting you. Don't rush through the fight and don't be too greedy on the hits you can inflict to Ganon in a single time. Focus on defending yourself and I'm sure you can make it.

edit: I'm assuming you have found the purple tunic in Ganon's Fortress.

Nope. Still have the red tunic. Where's the purple one?

As for the heart pieces, I think Im about 6 short of a full set. You got a list of where they all are? Would value having the Nayru's lore too.

I may have a chance of beating ganon with the purple tunic, but havent found it. The only items I found in the level were the magic key, and the L3 discount ring.

Jamian
04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
If you just look at your map of the level you will see there are "holes" in it. The purple tunic shouldn't be hard to locate.

Joki81
04-16-2013, 04:27 AM
If you just look at your map of the level you will see there are "holes" in it. The purple tunic shouldn't be hard to locate.

Are you talking about the mouth? Tried finding a hidden passage, but cant find it!

I'm such a noob!

Jamian
04-16-2013, 06:31 AM
There's no mouth, but these are probably the rooms you need to access. There's not even a hidden passage to reach them. Just normal doors, a few screens away from the entrance.

Joki81
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
There's no mouth, but these are probably the rooms you need to access. There's not even a hidden passage to reach them. Just normal doors, a few screens away from the entrance.

Care to elaborate in particular which room I need to explore?

Jamian
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
That "mouth". It's not a mouth, there are rooms there.

Joki81
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
That "mouth". It's not a mouth, there are rooms there.

Edit, sorry! Cant believe I forgot about that door!

Have you got a list you can PM me of all the heart pieces? Don't want to finish the game without 100% completion if can help it.

Joki81
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Quest Review:

Jamian is a quest making Guru! This quest belongs up there with the "greats"... End of Time DX, Rise of Ganon, Isle of the Winds, and Light of the Heavens.

The quest has really innovative ideas, and takes inspiration from other great RPG titles such as FF6 and Terranigma. Some levels are very reminiscent of the those games as you get to fight Kefka, loose yourself in the maze of the moblin woods similar to Norfest forest in Terranigma.

It doesnt end there though, in the ghost cave you become Pacman, in the vampire castle you become Simon belmont, the forest of Illusion reminds me of the mana holyland in Secret of Mana, and in the pyramid become Will from the Illusion of time.

Puzzles are challenging throughout, and will stump you for quite a while. Particularly the one in the Wizard castle where you have to play the song of storms. I also wasn't too keen on Crab beach... missed a single pushable stone.

Don't think this quest is one you can finish quickly. It's tough! The only reason Ive made so much progress through it is because Ive been unwell over the past week, and the quest has been the only company ive had.

Overall: 9.5/10

Its not getting a perfect score cause the puzzles were too tough in certain places, and it wasn't entirely clear where to go when you've finished certain levels. Plus I'm still searching for all the heart pieces!

Jamian
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate it a lot :) Whenever I ask myself if spending time making a quest was worth it, these kinds of reactions are exactly the ones that make me think "yes".

The song of storms puzzle really divides opinions, with reviewers alternately mentioning it as a low point or high point of the quest.

Regarding you being unwell, hope you get better soon!

I'm PMing you the heart piece list.

Joki81
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Im down to my last heart piece now.

Having trouble locating it despite the list.

Can you remind me which room the heart piece in the Unicorn cave can be found?

Also, the 3A heart piece is confusing. Not sure if ive got that one or not.

SUCCESSOR
04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Started your quest. I'm not very far but it is very enjoyable. Many quests I start I never finish because of many sources of frustration. Haven't found one in yours yet.

Joki81
04-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Started your quest. I'm not very far but it is very enjoyable. Many quests I start I never finish because of many sources of frustration. Haven't found one in yours yet.

You don't know what you've let yourself in for.... Mwahahahahahahaaaaa!

Mathematician
04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Hi Jamian, I just finished the entire game (all heart pieces collected, all items collected I think) and have some feedback for you!

The game was amazingly fun, this is my first custom quest played and it was challenging (257 deaths, 26 hours of playtime) without any guides.

One thing I would like to point out, the places that require a longshot can be passed without a longshot. It's possible to at least skip level 7 completely (of course the triforce is needed). This also makes getting the long shot extremely easy. It's a combination of using the leaf and hookshot to cross gaps.

Some other feedback is to give hints at where the fire boomerang and mirror shield is at. I felt most of the game was pretty straight forward (and I must of gotten lucky figuring some things out) except I went through almost the entire realm past and present looking for them until I finally found them (then it made sense where they were at).

I don't know if it's been fixed in later versions, but on 1.2 there were some rooms where you had to walk across the floor and in order to access the next room you had to hit all of them (or get stuck). Pressing Z reset my location back to the entrance.

Last thing, after starting my game today, I had "A" amount of red bombs (which I assumed was 10 for hexidecimal). The most recent thing I did was get the Skeleton Key, so that may have been the culprit.

It would be nice to be able to replay the game with all of the items, is it possible to get a modified game to initialize the character with everything awesome? I say this because 257 deaths is a lot, I would have so much satisfaction playing through the game without dying so many times.

Have a nice day.

---

Everything was amazing, a lot of the dungeons were tons of fun and pretty awesome! For example, the classic realm and ghost cave. Have you ever played Earthbound? I would recommend changing the sewer music to the Earthbound sewer music. Play Earthbound, it's so damn amazing.

Jamian
04-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi and thanks for your comments!

Whew, that hookshot bug is a real problem. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it though... I'll try and think of a solution for the next update, if I can.

The Z thing is actually a feature of that script, I'll change the message saying you can use that (instead of requiring Farore's Wind).

"A" is normally the character that indicates you have an infinite supply of something, which makes sense for keys once you get the master key, but it's not supposed to do that for bombs... I have no idea what could have caused it. What happens if you use a super bomb then, does that decrease your counter?

I'll PM you the level 1 cheat so you can have infinite energy. I may actually give it away in an update, for players who beat the game after having found everything. If you do play through it again, I recommend updating to the latest version (the link is given in the first post of the thread).

And yep, I've played Earthbound, great game I agree :)

Joki81
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Jamian, I think the heart piece Im missing is the one in the unicorn cave.

I never found the map, and am not sure where the heart piece was.

Jamian
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Ok, it's in a secret passage found in the room right before the boss.

Mathematician
04-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Awesome!

To skip over the gaps without the longshot, it requires near exact precision. It took me about 30-40 times on average to actually do it. If it's possible to make the spacing's one space farther, it would not be possible to cross (however I notice if you make them one space farther apart you would have to worry about some other things).

For the red bombs, while the counter does say A, it's definitely not infinite. When I use them all up, it still say's A. It may be a bug in the quest-maker and out of your hands :(

Joki81
04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Ok, it's in a secret passage found in the room right before the boss.

Thanks so much man! That was the piece I was missing!

Ive fully completed the quest now with only 106 deaths throughout!

This one's easily as good as stranded, if not better!

When's your next quest gonna be out?

I wouldn't mind doing a let's play of this quest again myself, what software is used for capturing videos?

TobiasAmaranth
04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Loving this so far but right now I'm completely effing annoyed. Forest of Illusion lacks ANY of the hints that the rest of the game has been boasting. I'm literally walking into every wall and being COMPLETELY lost. Note: I got the first key. But I didn't even know this place was here if it wasn't for the forum. East vs West TOTAL FAILURE. Arrows are awesome. >.>

Anyway. Right now I'm stuck at the second locked gate. Cannot get a key. Cannot find anything. Been to all 4 north rooms. Getting really ticked off. Going to bed, and hoping for an answer by the time I wake up. :<

Joki81
04-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Loving this so far but right now I'm completely effing annoyed. Forest of Illusion lacks ANY of the hints that the rest of the game has been boasting. I'm literally walking into every wall and being COMPLETELY lost. Note: I got the first key. But I didn't even know this place was here if it wasn't for the forum. East vs West TOTAL FAILURE. Arrows are awesome. >.>

Anyway. Right now I'm stuck at the second locked gate. Cannot get a key. Cannot find anything. Been to all 4 north rooms. Getting really ticked off. Going to bed, and hoping for an answer by the time I wake up. :<

You need to dive into the pools of water in every room you go into. One of them has a big key. Just go the wrong way and you'll find it.

Jamian
04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Forest of Illusion is tough to figure out, but it is only a short level. You've almost finished it! Just have to dive in the proper pond then get rid of the boss.

When's your next quest gonna be out?

I wouldn't mind doing a let's play of this quest again myself, what software is used for capturing videos?

For when my next quest will be out... you got me there :) But I do intend to keep making quests.

I've never video captured myself, I know there were threads about it on purezc (and possibly here?) but I can't help you about that.

TobiasAmaranth
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm not that far. There's two locks left, not just the boss key. And I -have- been diving into every pool (all 3 rooms worth; betrayal room, room with lock, same room without lock) and no key or boss key. I told you guys, I'm missing the -second- key. Do I have a bad version of the game? I got it from GBATemp as soon as it was announced so I have no clue what version I even have.

Jamian
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
You probably got 1.2 because that's the one they posted on gbatemp. I recommend upgrading to the latest version (link given in the first post of this thread). Though there's no problem with the keys.

The pool you have to dive into is in the northern area. You just have to swim around a bit for the diving to be successful (that's the way it works in Zelda Classic).

The two locks you mention are both boss locks, the one at the entrance just serves as a shortcut in case you die while fighting the boss.

TobiasAmaranth
04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh. For some reason I didn't notice they were the same. Finally got to open the game and check. Also yeahhhh, I did swim around a LOT before and didn't get the thing. :X So annoying. You should really put the leaves in a pattern to make it a hint or something. 3 and 3 or something suspicious. Great use of non-verbal communication in many of these dungeons. Just, this one was more frustrating, reminiscent of stuff like Hidden Duality and Tortuga where I would beat my head against the dungeon walls for hours just to progress one room and beat my head again because I missed yet another key.

And maybe it's just me being a bad Zelda player but what's with lit. every hack overusing the corner fireball throwers? That's fine with simple enemies but it just gets ridiculous with certain combinations. Dunno. Anyway, I'll replace the file, upgrade it. Thanks for the replies. :)

Edit: The other place I got stuck and had to get help was the maze (and lack of a key) for the Library. That room is too hectic to even notice that one of those books can be read, especially when there's no book prior to that that can be read. Change its color, remove a few from the room, or something, and then that puzzle will be a little more forgiving.

Jamian
04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
That book in the library does have a slightly different colour, though that was added later on, not entirely sure if it was that way in the old version.

Joki81
04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
That book in the library does have a slightly different colour, though that was added later on, not entirely sure if it was that way in the old version.

Thats a good point. The library maze path was not given?

I had to guess it when I played the game.

TobiasAmaranth
04-18-2013, 05:02 PM
On a hunch, after finding the answer out here, and neeeeeeever finding a book that talked about it (remember, there's two doors and 'one key' so a player can feel they messed up) I decided to look really closely at that room. Two books seemed to not shoot, one of them I could talk to, and sure enough, NNWN.

Jamian
04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes, there is one book in the room that doesn't shoot and has a slightly different colour. Reading it gives the (coded) solution.

TobiasAmaranth
04-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Where's the hint for the Lava Maze in Goriya Mines? I got it by guessing but I feel like I shouldn't have been guessing in the first place.

Edit 1: Minecart A's stairs exited me to the right which broke Minecart B, causing me to get stuck off the track on the bottom curve. Stairs should exit to the south.

Edit 2: Really? Four homing bullets in the boss room? It's bad enough that boomerangs 'catch' other boomerangs, but to add four homing turrets is just excessive. :<

Jamian
04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
There are no mazes you have to guess in this quest.

After following the normal route, there were four aligned pots you could break in the next room, with arrows underneath.

TobiasAmaranth
04-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I ... could not see that. Way past there so I'm not gonna go checking again but, huh. I mean, makes sense but totally did not notice it.

TobiasAmaranth
04-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Stuck again. Palace of Fire and Ice. I see a key, I see that a block is supposed to vanish, I cannot make the block vanish. Going back there again (now that I know that dungeon was supposed to be before Uematsu Village, as it whines that I don't have the better sword) and will continue trying but I've gotten 1 or 2 keys before and this one's just staring me in the face. (I have the map already if that helps)

Edit: Din's fire apparently. Still rather curious about the two nearby hidden staircases in the overworld. I haven't figured out how to open those yet. Maybe this sword. Maybe the bow. Maybe the item from Death Mountain. I haven't started worrying too much yet.

Edit 2: I... Don't think that was the proper way for killing that boss. Stand behind it and suicide-hack at it. Then again, that's how I've approached a few of the bosses that first stuff like the Classic Dungeon boss. Stand in a corner and slash mindlessly hoping I don't die.

Edit 3: Din's fire apparently. Again. Die bushes. Can't believe I didn't try this earlier on either of these. Huh. Back to the land of Kefka after I get more Red Potion. WTB potion vendor in the Past.

Edit 4: Stuck again. Found a cow, and he talks about something that doesn't yet matter to me. Meanwhile I'm getting raped by rocks and the Lens of Truth shows one boulder flashing white and one boulder disappears. Bombs of both types and pushing do nothing to both of them, the dead end with massive boulders has nothing Lens of Truthable OR pushable and I hate effing boulders. DIAF. |3

Jamian
04-19-2013, 05:24 AM
You need to do something with the white flashing boulder (a white flash is a lens of truth "there's a secret here!" indication). Think of other items that could destroy rocks in some official Zelda games.

TobiasAmaranth
04-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah well I tried that. On the other rock. :/ Bah. Bad choice of action without giving hints as it's not used anywhere prior. Least favorite dungeon by far. Bombs don't work on the green wizrobe after he slows down which made me second guess if they could work at -all-. Bad design on that enemy. Similarly the boss there, suicided twice just to figure out what item worked, it was hard to even tell, and then took two full life bars to actually kill him once I figured out that it was the hammer. Seriously, I lived with .5 hearts after using my one half-potion. Just, flat out bad dungeon compared to almost all of the others. Harsh criticism but I've been having a lot of fun overall so it's worth saying aloud.

That said, only two places I know of for me to still visit are Ganon and Pyramid. I am missing the last magic crystal, Naryu's Love or whatever, which I heard is in the Pyramid. I am missing two heart pieces and have found every overworld piece as well as been in every room in every dungeon on every map except for the two I mentioned above. I am also missing whatever is next to the heart piece / cross. Is this the right point I should be at? Or did I actually manage to miss something somewhere else? It's been a long quest and I'm just not sure anymore.

Oh yeah, and level 3 heart ring but I found that right away having just entered Level 9 Ganon's Fortress. Oddly conveniently placed. Is there a rupee discount ring of level 3, too?

Jamian
04-19-2013, 06:29 PM
No problem on the criticism. The idea with the green wizzrobe is that when he's in his "disappearing" phase he is no longer vulnerable. That wizzobe is actually a leever. The boss is actually quite easy once you know you have to use the hammer, maybe you weren't using the right strategy. Stand near his mouth and smash it with the hammer, while at the same time swinging your sword at the bubbles he spits if they come near you (ignoring them otherwise).

Nayru's Love isn't in the Pyramid, you've heard wrong. The Pyramid is a dungeon that hates the player, for those who want to tackle that kind of dungeon (I know there aren't many, but I've always wanted to have one of those... forgive me), but it's completely optional, and actually nets you the level 3 heart ring... which is a bonus but not necessary at all to win.

What you picked up in Ganon's Fortress was likely the level 3 rupee ring.

TobiasAmaranth
04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Oh. Right. Rupee. That's why.... lol okay oops, I feel silly. Fighting Boss A of Ganon's Fortress. 25 hits on it and then my potion didn't activate so I died. Previous attempts I've lost half my life before even getting one hit due to bad luck / chasing, or other such stupidity. Wish there was a ranged attack I could use. Must be the boss that gives Naryu's Love (I heard such a thing was optional is all.)

And yes. That's what I did. And the balls still hit me every few seconds by going south as soon as the spawned. Continuous pain, same for every other damn room in that dungeon. Continuous painful painful pain. As for the Wizrobe, why not make him flicker after he enters slow mode? He looks like he should be able to be hit and that would be the FAIR time to allow the player TO hit it imo. There's no reason to make some of these things so painfully tedious. Like the piranha plant vulnerable to the hammer. Do I really need to hit it 10 times to prove that I figured out to hit it with the hammer? He's not hard. He's tedious.

As for the two missing heart pieces, they must be really obscure. I did all of the animal's hints, I have entered every room in every dungeon that's on the map (including the deceptive Mines room where I saw the compass pointing there and figured I couldn't enter while next to it. Oops?), I have nabbed every listed overworld heartpiece from the hint in the forest. Yet I'm missing not just one, but two. My next step is to make sure I've gotten the map and compass for every dungeon just to recheck my assumption I've completed things properly.

Maybe I will take on the Pyramid, maybe I won't. It -would- have to be maximum distance from the health potion place though, wouldn't it? :<

Jamian
04-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Well Death Mountain is optional too (you can do without that ring), so it is also possible to say "screw it" and move on.

Good job catching that faulty compass in Goriya Mines (because yes, it's not supposed to do that... somehow nobody had mentioned it so far). I'm fixing it.

There is a potion shop available *in* the pyramid but you have to find it and go through some rooms first.

Good suggestion on having the green wizzrobe flicker while he's invincible - I'm adding that.

For Ganon make sure to bring a purple tunic and potions.

TobiasAmaranth
04-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Uhh. Purple Tunic? I took a break on the secondary boss of Ganon's Fortress but you say Naryu's Love isn't found in the Pyramid so I have to wonder which item this boss is hiding and where the other item is actually at. I was indeed wondering if there was a purple tunic to be had but yeah, that makes me feel like I'm missing a few big things somehow.

Jamian
04-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Nayru's Love is in a secret passage in Ganon's Fortress. The catch is: you need to have every heart piece to pick it up. Don't worry though, it's not a mandatory item, it is a bonus for completists.

The purple tunic is kept by that eye boss in G's Fortress.

Joki81
04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Nayru's Love is in a secret passage in Ganon's Fortress. The catch is: you need to have every heart piece to pick it up. Don't worry though, it's not a mandatory item, it is a bonus for completists.

The purple tunic is kept by that eye boss in G's Fortress.

Ah the joys of that level... :D

You're gonna have so much fun!

TobiasAmaranth
04-21-2013, 11:52 PM
I have no clue where to get the remaining two heart pieces though. And I wouldn't mind some hints. Gonna go hit all the dungeons again and check the maps vs the explored parts.

Edit 1: Palace of Fire I seem to have missed a room. So that's one.

Edit 2: Ugh, cherry bomb wall. And I'm out. PLEASE add in a 4x cherry bomb purchase if at all possible to the shops. Buying 8 is sooooo tedious.

Edit 3: Death Mountain has an extra room shown on the map. Spiky Dungeon has an extra room shown on the map. My last one was in Poisonous Garden. I forgot about that missing square due to the severe annoyance of those unblockable-bullet-spewing 'tards. >.>;

Jamian
04-22-2013, 04:43 AM
In the latest version only a regular bomb is needed in the Palace.

Spiky Dungeon doesn't have a heart piece but it does have a magic container.

TobiasAmaranth
04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
In the latest version only a regular bomb is needed in the Palace.

Spiky Dungeon doesn't have a heart piece but it does have a magic container.

Ah. And for Spiky, I mean there's literally an extra room showing on the map. 3-4, exits north and south. Death mountain has an extra on 8-1 (or whatever, top right) with exits north and east.

And weird, lots of off-the-map rooms in Ganon's Fortress. Only dungeon to do that. Thankfully. Still haven't beaten it. Need potions. So much luck required to kill his second form.

Jamian
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
His second form is actually much easier than the first one (he's pretty much like the regular LoZ Ganon, except with more health). Try using the hurricane spin a bit. Just don't overdo it after having hit him a lot, or if you're unlucky you may be unable to shoot him when he's stunned if Link is still spinning around.

zeldagamer
03-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Having problem getting cursed river the monster before the raft I cant seem to kill it
Any suggestions