PDA

View Full Version : AGN Terraria Server?

MasterSwordUltima
01-17-2013, 07:42 AM
You cool kids want one? The main server I usually play on is looking like it'll get shutdown, which is an absolute shame. Would any of you play? Make some cool stuff.

Brasel
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I would be in if my computer didn't shit the bed last month.

ShadowTiger
01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
I would certainly be game. :) Would we be playing with mods, though? I think that might be worth considering. Mods that increase stack size are always welcome. We could make a list and everything.

When would be best for everyone? How are Saturday afternoons, in general?

Phazite
01-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I might be interested. I have the game but haven't played it very much.

Nathaniel
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
I would be interested too. I hosted a world several months ago, and ShadowTiger was among them. Good times. I'd be open to vanilla or mods as well.

MasterSwordUltima
01-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Give me a list of some mods, and I'll look around for them. T3kit or whatever it's called has looked promising to me.

And by T3kit, I clearly meant TShock. Clearly.

King Aquamentus
01-19-2013, 09:14 AM
in case anyone is vaguely interested in putting it in with an editor or something, I have a considerable chunk of a recreation of Super Metroid (pretty much all but Tourian, Wrecked ship, and Maridia). Found it online. let me know if you're interested

Zim
01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
in case anyone is vaguely interested in putting it in with an editor or something, I have a considerable chunk of a recreation of Super Metroid (pretty much all but Tourian, Wrecked ship, and Maridia). Found it online. let me know if you're interested

oh oh, gimme gimme gimme i want i want i want!

King Aquamentus
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I figure it'd be a neat thing to include in a large server world. *If* we can do a large server world. I wouldn't want it taking up *too* much space. I just know that I have it on a large map, and it only takes up a minor fraction. I don't *think* it contains any infectious elements (It did, but I'm pretty sure I removed them all a while back. They were mainly used to simulate things like high-level doors and things that would require special items to destroy. Or backdrops), but to be safe I'll try to include some sort of quarantine (I might have already actually.)

There's actually quite a bit of interesting "maps" to be found online for the game. If you have something like TEdit, you can open these maps up, select an area, copy, and paste it into another map. So, you could have a lot of neat pre-made structures all on one map. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'll want to create on your own too... again, this recreation of Zebes doesn't occupy very much of a large map.

King Aquamentus
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
So, can we make this happen?

ShadowTiger
05-22-2013, 07:01 PM
So, can we make this happen?

Tell y'all what. We'll wait for This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRumNa5C5MY&feature=player_embedded) and this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0DkbaytG0A) to be released in a month or two. Roughly mid June-July.

King Aquamentus
05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
As I said before, I have a file with the super metroid map on it. Rather than use that map and lose a lot of cool stuff, I would suggest the use of Tedit to copy and paste the relative space. On a large map, it only occupies a small fraction of the world.

Xyvol
09-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Terraria 1.2 is releasing October 1st.

ShadowTiger
09-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Am ridiculously psyched.

Am indeed.

But seriously, it's shocking to think that there is more content in this update alone than there is in every single version before it combined. It's mind-blowing.

mrz84
09-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Nice. As I've recently got both versions of the game (PC and 360, one was gifted to me after I had bought the other) I'd be willing to join in on an AGN server. :kitty:

ShadowTiger
09-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Sweet. There's likely going to be a large server someone at PureZC is hosting. There might be a chance to join in on that too, if everyone plays their cards right or some-such. Shouldn't be too hard to deal. But think how amazing that would be! o.o

MasterSwordUltima
09-15-2013, 07:09 PM
As I said on facebook, I don't have the capacity to run a Terraria server and Shattered Earth server at the same time, other wise this would already be up. But who else here can do it for the time being? We owe it to ourselves, guys!

ShadowTiger
09-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, it should be one person hosting it so all the information is gathered in one place. Well, the world, anyway. I still think there's no way to have a character stay multiplayer. The game is weird like that.

Then we need a time. How's Saturday afternoons?

mrz84
09-17-2013, 01:56 PM
My work schedule varies each week and I don't know what it will be until the middle of the current week. As for days, lately I've been having Tues/Wed or Wed/Thur off, though sometimes I get the weekend off.

King Aquamentus
09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
similarly, I don't know if I'll be able to make it in the afternoon, but what about evenings?

ShadowTiger
09-29-2013, 09:35 AM
A copy and paste from Pure, but whatever.

There are so few people posting in this thread considering how dangerously close the release date looms. Seriously I have been watching Chippy, HERO, Tobuscus, Yrimir, and everyone elses' Let's Plays and tutorial videos and have seen some pretty remarkable things.

So yeah, this post contains spoilers. A bunch of them.

-=SPOILER=-

I'm sure I'll remember more later. But there really is a lot more to showcase. It's entirely absurd how much new content there is. There are currently over 1,600 items in the game, which is almost a thousand more than the game had before the patch. The amount of NPCs has doubled. There are 13 new musical tracks, and 19 new NPCs.

Red is putting the game up on steam Monday night, for a Tuesday download. I'm pretty sure I'm locking myself in my room on Wednesday. Goodbye, sun. Goodbye, moon. Goodbye, work. Goodbye, spoon. Apparently.

Xyvol
09-29-2013, 01:13 PM
19 new NPC's? Wow, that's crazy, and I have to build homes/cells for them all!

My brother's been using Amazon's "free" server service for Minecraft, to see how it works out. That may be an option if someone wants to try it. It lags when there are more than two people on at the same time, but I think that's due to Minecraft's memory requirements. Hopefully Terraria would run better on it.

I can't do any hosting, but I would love to play on a server with everyone. I have a pretty flexible availability.

edit: Possibly a Pure vs AGN pvp world? For a little friendly competition?

MasterSwordUltima
09-29-2013, 05:23 PM
You tell those folks at PureZC that I will build a rad floating sky castle. I am down with this 100%.

Majora
09-29-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm in too. Draw boobs all over the landscape I tell you what.

mrz84
09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
So...much...content...

MasterSwordUltima
10-01-2013, 06:04 AM
ShadowTiger Any update? I do believe we are all jonsin' to build.

Majora
10-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah what's the dealio? I had to start over but I'm down for a server

MasterSwordUltima
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I like how there is wood armor, makes it easier to make armor within the first two minutes of playing. I've gotten tin, lead, and platinum like you wouldn't believe, more so than the copper/silver/gold variants.

Majora
10-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Magic weapons were nerfed. I used to be able to rain death on enemies with starfury but now it has like a half-second cooldown and only fires ONE STAR. Bastards.

I also still find it painfully annoying to dig around for ores so now i just summon the eye of cthulhu for the ores he drops.

... BRAIN of cthulhu? oh boy! I'll probably get murdered though.

MasterSwordUltima
10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm nowhere near as good as others who play this. I'm trying to fight Skeletron, and he stomps me hard. Granted, I've only got 120HP (only found one heart container so far), but with this ice sword I got that shoots iceballs out every 1 second of swinging for 10+ damage each, I've been able to make it to the Shadow Orbs (hearts) in the Crimson. I just don't have a nightmare pickaxe to bust through to get to them. Skeletron is the only boss I have access to (does he even drop the proper hellstone for the pickaxe?)

Keep in mind I have platinum pickaxe, a dope-ass 16 damage magic ice boomerang, tunsten helm and armor, and platinum greaves. Also, I dig the pink dyed raincoat.

ShadowTiger
10-03-2013, 04:14 PM
There's a good chance that we're not going to be starting a server until we all have a good idea about what we'll be doing in it. Rules and regulations, general times for availability, who hosts it and when, and with what consistency. Also will we all be starting a new character? We ought to, and it should only be used for that world. We also should set ground rules for what items we're allowed to carry over into the world with us to help us. The incredibly tedious but commonly available items, such as wood, for example, (and even money!) were allowed in-game because nobody wants to waste their time farming for money or wood when they could be, y'know, having a life.

Majora
10-03-2013, 05:37 PM
rules huh?

1) don't blow shit up without permission (i.e. "hey I'm gonna sodomize the earth to its bowels with a f***ton of dynamite, that ok?")
2) don't steal things out of private chests (there can be public ones people dump their junk in)
2a) Don't empty out public chests! Take only what you need.
3) Don't summon bosses near low-geared people or NPCs
4) Ask before summoning the wall of flesh (idk maybe people are underground doing stuff before they get raped by hallow and corruption monsters.)
5) Don't bring in stuff from your own world higher than the tier of what is available initially (i.e. demonite/crimson ore)

I dunno that's all I can think of. I mean what rules? No one's likely to do anything that isn't covered by "don't blow other peoples' shit up or steal from them") and the latter isn't even technically required (I think) if the only container items used are safes/piggybanks. (I think. definitely safes.)

Brasel
10-03-2013, 11:51 PM
I own this game now, so I'm in. Just let me know where to play. I'm terrible at online multiplayer games.

ShadowTiger
10-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Glad to hear, Tony! Can't wait to get started with something.

Great start, Majora. PvP is one additional thing we should think about. If people really want to PvP, that's one thing. PvE'ers' wants should be taken into consideration as well. Battlezones could/should be designated. (Nobody should have to seriously mine for resources to construct one, by the way. That's a bit much.)

MasterSwordUltima
10-05-2013, 12:46 AM
So I'm like, rockin' some meteor and crimson armor at the moment. Although I assume this won't matter on whichever server we go with. I haven't checked if TShock was updated to work with 1.2.0.2 (which is my current version).

Should I just post up my IP address and keep a server up for the time being?

ALSO - the AGN Steam user list it seems hasn't been updated lately. Mine isn't even on there. So add TehL33TJim to your friends list, all. And post up your steam names here too (or somebody update the usernames thread, yeah?)

ShadowTiger
10-05-2013, 01:34 PM
It also seems that multiplayer has quite a few bugs that need to be sorted out. I'm browsing the Terraria bug forum and there are just so many things that could go wrong. I'm also toying around with the server software they advertised recently on their main page and it's performing poorly.

I might wait this one out until more bugs are fixed.

mrz84
10-05-2013, 03:32 PM
That's a bummer to hear. I'm gonna have to start playing my PC Terraria more in the coming weeks to get used to the controls on it again *been playing it on 360 along with FFXI too long* I'm still down for this once everything is worked out though. And I'm sending friend requests to steam players on the list so if you get a request from Author#2, that would be me.

MasterSwordUltima
10-05-2013, 06:27 PM
So like I said, why not do an old fashioned for a while? Using the game client's built in hosting bit?

King Aquamentus
10-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I typically just go by Pop on steam. Avatar is an image comparing stage 2 of Super C to a Nintendo Wii. it makes more sense in context

Majora
10-06-2013, 10:57 AM
My steam is majora_luna. or the URL of my profile page is /MajoratheMoonWaker

King Aquamentus
10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Just a reminder once again that I do have an old Super Metroid map if you're interested. I don't know if TEdit will work with the update though, so if we can't paste the map into a new world (it takes up a tiny portion of a large world), I'll scrap plans for it.

I would be in favor of some civilization and some wilderness. A place to let players go and mine, or build homes with mines beneath, and other places where they can go and find each other. In short, think of it like all the NPCs are in a "city", and players can go there for them.

Majora
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
There's an update for TEdit that works with 1.2

I used it to give myself statues. :u

ShadowTiger
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Only Statues? There are so many editors out now (http://www.terrariaonline.com/forums/released-mods.51/) for 1.2. It's great.

Majora
10-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Well I don't want to CHEAT. Statues have been nerfed anyways.

You used to be able to use a crab engine to rapidly summon bunnies and/or goldfish during a blood moon, into a shallow pool of lava that would kill them but not destroy items to farm large amounts of money. They removed their money drop (presumably made a unique statue enemy instead of a statue that spawns the normal/regular/"real" one).

Can still get regular goldfish (the item) and sell for 1 silver each (99s a stack), or skeletons for the various items they drop. I'm still irate that developers nerf ANYTHING. They also dumbed-down a bunch of crafting recipes, much to my chagrin. Oh well.

ShadowTiger
10-08-2013, 03:45 PM
The loss of the "combine all your Cobalt/Mythril/Adamantite stuff" to get Hallowed gear was a bummer. I mean it's nice that you get to keep your old suits of armor for your mannequins, but man, I was looking for a while how to get Hallowed Bars, or better yet, Hallowed ore. It doesn't make any sense. I mean even the Eye of Cthulhu drops Demonite ore, not Demonite Bars. Weird, huh?

Xyvol
10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Can still get regular goldfish (the item) and sell for 1 silver each (99s a stack), or skeletons for the various items they drop. I'm still irate that developers nerf ANYTHING. They also dumbed-down a bunch of crafting recipes, much to my chagrin. Oh well.

Dye materials sell for 20sp each. The Yellow Marigolds and Blueberries spawn on the overworld pretty frequently. I can get at least 1 gold from a run across a small map. Not crazy farming or anything, but it helps.

mrz84
06-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Necroing, but with some good reasons.

First, to add to the previous "mini-topic", I have a bunch of jellyfish statues in shallow lava on 3-sec timers near my npcs to farm. The banners, glowsticks, and necklaces all sell pretty well (the necklaces don't stack but they can get various prefixes that can up their price). Otherwise, I use my Goblin/Pirate/Frost Legion Arena to farm their stuff to sell.

Second, in regards to the "main topic" (the AGN server), I'm planning on testing to see if my pc can handle a multiplayer world with several players at once sometime this month if anybody is interested in helping with this. If it works I'd be happy to host games once or twice a month if we can plan them. If the test works, I'd like to know if there are any preferences on worlds (ie: corruption/crimson, fresh start/pre-made base on initial spawn area, etc)

Third, ...

Fourth, profit!