PDA

View Full Version : The Great Akinator

Brasel
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
This guy plays 20 questions with you and guesses the character you are thinking of. It's kind of neat. Try it out.

http://en.akinator.com/

Beldaran
01-11-2013, 12:18 AM
It's a fun, old database technique I first saw in the early 2000's or late 90's.

I thought of Lieutenant Tasha Yar from Star Trek The Next Generation and it took him like 29 questions to get it.

Brasel
01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
He got Kaylee from Firefly pretty fast. After I posted this, it took him two guesses to get Cooler from Pound Puppies.

Beldaran
01-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Took him a while, but he got Belgarath the Sorcerer. Nice. =D

Glenn the Great
01-11-2013, 02:33 AM
I remember stumbling upon this several years ago when it was brand new. I was very naive to database concepts back then, and it totally fucking blew my mind, no kidding.

DarkDragon
01-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Ophelia, Pip, Cassandra, and Baldr stumped him, though he got them all on the second try.

He got Isaac Newton, Martin Luther, and Macbeth.

Aliem
01-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Ahh, I remember this thing. Really cool. Took him a while to get Carl Sagan; he guess Dick Clark first.

Gleeok
01-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Hehe got him to go 30+ tries with this one:
"I tried to think of the most harmless thing...something that could never, ever possibly destroy us...."

Pretty damn good though. I'm gonna have to try and think up something really obscure. hmm..

[edit] Holy shit he got Ragnar from Dragon Quest IV! :o

Saffith
01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
It got Umihara Kawase after about 50 questions and two wrong guesses. Couldn't get the mad French chef from Good Eats.

Chris Miller
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
he managed to get Douglas Quaid from Total Recall and Kid from Chrono Cross.

Moosh
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
He guessed me. HE GUESSED ME. How! HOW!? I'ma scurred, guys.

MasterSwordUltima
01-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Julius Pringle - I didn't even know he had a name! I just saw the can and went for it.

SUCCESSOR
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Ah, Akinator! We meet again!

It's been quite awhile. I was on a board and this came up. He guessed many obscure things including Reese Roper of Five Iron Frenzy. By now I bet it's very difficult to stump the bastard.

mrz84
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Took him about 40+ questions to guess his own name.

[edit-o-vision] He got Kamen Rider Skull in about 10-12 questions, buit failed to guess Kamen Rider OOO entirely.

Phazite
01-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Ah, I remember this! I remember being responsible for adding two more entries to the database. That was a couple years ago. I wonder if I can still come up with something new...

Lightwulf
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
It took him 19 guesses to get Link. Kind of funny when he's all read in the face!

Get this: A few questions in, he asked if the character was a sea sponge! :highly_amused:

Oooh, he didn't guess Falbi (from TP)! He thought it was Salvatore from Wind Waker! Not sure if "Does he have something to sell?" should've been "No"; I put "Yes" because he sells chicken rides...
I continued, and Akinator thought it was the Happy Mask Salesman! Man, I'm not sure if "Does he work in a shop?" should've been "Yes"; I put "No" because it's an attraction ride.
Not sure if I should've answered "Yes" to "Does he have anything to do with water"; Akinator thought it was Barnes! Sorry; right game, wrong person!
...Why would Akinator guess "Beetle" from Legend of Zelda??? (That was his last guess; I didn't notice what the number of guesses was at the end.)
Well, I defeated the Akinator! I really stumped him on this one. "Falbi (Zelda)" already existed, interestingly enough.

Xyvol
01-12-2013, 07:29 PM
26 guesses to get Olivier Mira Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Could not guess Lone Wolf from the Lone Wolf RPG books. That might not have been fair, since the character represents the reader and therefore has little to no physical description. Yet the jerk refused to take no for an answer when he guessed wrong (clicking the no button didn't do anything).*
Some of the questions were weird and some were oddly specific, such as "was your character in such-and-such show?"

*Edit: Nevermind, it was my browser.

CJC
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Had my parents answer the questions with a mystery character. Akinator correctly guessed Nick Charles from the Thin Man series on the twentieth question.

Impressive.

SpykStorm
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
He guessed Vann if the Dawn from Gun X Sword. Wow. He also successfully guessed Goku, Naruto, Sasuke, and Buffy.

Edit: It took him two guesses to get cyndaquil from Pokemon right.

Aliem
01-14-2013, 07:44 AM
http://oi45.tinypic.com/2ng8r9f.jpg
HA! I thought for sure it'd take a while to nail this, but it was surprisingly fast.

SpykStorm
01-14-2013, 07:53 AM
If you answer no consecutively, he says:

I think of
The grouchiest player ever
hates saying yes

ShadowTiger
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
It can't get Carrot Top (http://mymarblerye.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/carrot_top_092707_04.jpg) at all, not even after like ten conclusions, but it can get Carrot Top (http://www.deviantart.com/download/328712213/erb_of_mlp_tc_47_1__carrot_top_by_enigmamystere-d5fpfyt.jpg) from MLP:FiM after about 26 completely unrelated questions, including "Is your character's gender female" immediately followed by "Did your character commit suicide?" and "Did your character enter the Tardis?"

I don't get it. I just don't know. How did they get Carrot Top when there are like forty other characters matching her role and species on the show. Bloody hell.

CJC
01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I BEAT HIM!

After 61 questions, he could not guess Sybil from the PSX game Alundra.