PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know of some good "Free PC games?"

Ventus
12-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Well I'll be on a download hunt this Saturday. and I'm looking for some free PC games that might be fun to get.

Anyone know of some good ones?

Majora
12-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Steam has a bunch though most of them are MMOs/online/multiplayer.

Of course, most things are free on the internet when you get down to it.

Ventus
12-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I seen the things on steam, But I can't stand steam. because its slower then hell on my computer.
Mainly I'm just looking for pretty good non-steam games.

Phazite
12-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Well... if you're interested in more of a puzzle game I would recommend Chip's Challenge, also known as Tileworld (which is Chip's Challenge with some extra features). It should easily run on slower computers.

Nicholas Steel
12-29-2012, 05:02 AM
If you have a 32bit operating system or a way to virtualize one then Castle Of The Winds. Also Scorched Earth (Via DOSBox). Hover is another good game, came free on Windows 95 discs.

ShadowTiger
12-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Wow, I had forgotten about Chip's Challenge. So long ago...

You can google for "doom2.wad" and then get ZDoom from a similar google. It's got plenty of editing potential when you get DoomBuilder2, which is a bit similar to Zelda Classic.

Megazeux is a nice game that's simple to program yet can do amazing things. It's one of those ASCII-based KROZ style games.

Dwarf Fortress is a very complex game yet fully rewarding, I hear.

I think Microsoft Flight Simulator X is free.

Ventus
12-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions they look like fun :D, I'll be looking into them!.

Phazite
12-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Wow, I had forgotten about Chip's Challenge. So long ago...

You can google for "doom2.wad" and then get ZDoom from a similar google. It's got plenty of editing potential when you get DoomBuilder2, which is a bit similar to Zelda Classic.

Megazeux is a nice game that's simple to program yet can do amazing things. It's one of those ASCII-based KROZ style games.

Yes. One of my first video games. I played it on Windows 3.0 as a kid and always drew paper levels. Eventually I discovered custom level sets and the level editor and I was in heaven! Unfortunately the sequel will not likely be released ever. :(

I was also going to suggest zdoom/gzdoom/skulltag/zandronum because there are some excellent mods out there. I've been playing plenty of Stronghold lately with some of my friends. I've also been addicted to Ghouls vs. Humans, Jumpmaze, Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch, and various other mods over the years. I didn't suggest it though because Doom isn't really free, though I'm sure most people do download doom2.wad for free. It isn't expensive though if you're uncomfortable with this. I think you can buy all of the old doom games bundled together for $10 or so on Steam or elsewhere.

I have also spent probably hundreds of hours building my own mods and just like with Zelda Classic, have nothing finished to show.

ShadowTiger
12-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Ditto on that last point. :p It's ridiculous, I know.

If you don't want to pay for a doom2.wad, you can always go to Freedoom (http://www.nongnu.org/freedoom/) and get that one. It'll do, sure, though it's just not the same.

Aliem
12-31-2012, 04:40 AM
Daggerfall has been available for free (http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/) for a couple years from Bethesda's site. Though I'd hold off on that till the XL Engine project is a bit farther along, if you don't want to have to bother with DOSbox.

Ventus
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Daggerfall is free now. holy crap that just made my day. I'm going to pick it up asap.
I have no problem using DOSBox, I've actually been playing some old games on it.

And that Dagger XL Sounds like a pretty awesome project. I'll be watching it for now on.

Valientlink
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Lemmings is a really addictive puzzle game. A DOS clone called Lemmix can be downloaded with a simple google search.

Blanka
09-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Maybe these?

100 Best Free PC games
http://www.pcgamesn.com/100-best-free-pc-games

Vizzed.com
http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/