PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.50 (Stable) Released

DarkDragon
12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
On behalf of the Zelda Classic developers, I am proud to announce the release of the next stable version of Zelda Classic, 2.50, after nearly 8 years of development.

Get it at the zeldaclassic.com download page (http://www.zeldaclassic.com/downloads.php).

Significant new features include:

Linux and Mac support
Extensive scripting support
Item and enemy editors
New quest editor interface
Launcher GUI
Many, many new items and features

The extensive full changelog is available here (http://shardstorm.com/).

Special thanks to Phantom Menace, War Lord, our beta testers, and the entire ZC community for its help and patience.

EDIT: As announced earlier this year, the 2.50 source code (minus a few bits related to quest encryption) will be publicly released under the GPL. The timeline for this release has yet to be announced.

Dark Nation (project lead)

_L_, DarkDragon, Gleeok, jman2050, Joe123, koopa, pikaguy900, pkmnfrk, Saffith, Sean, Takuya

Chris Miller
12-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I love you. ^_^

Seriously, thanks for all your hard work, guys.

Majora
12-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Here at last, here at last. thank god almighty, it is here at last.

CJC
12-21-2012, 02:28 PM
For me? You shouldn't have!

Seriously though, this is a tremendous achievement and I'm grateful to the entire development team for throwing themselves into such an extensive endeavor.
Three cheers for the devs! Here's the first: Woo!

Ventus
12-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Wow, We have the final 2.50. This is just amazing! Congrats on getting it done devs!

Xyvol
12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Huzzah! Glad to finally see an official release. Thanks guys!

erm2003
12-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Congrats on the official release everyone!

ShadowTiger
12-21-2012, 08:32 PM
It's certainly a refreshing milestone, if mostly in name alone. We've been working in versions virtually identical to this for months now, creating fine work successfully with no hassle.

But still, ... feels good man. Feels good.

Ventus
12-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Well, Like I said before its still glitchy on Windows 8, I made a video to show what it does.

G_7ak-n-8Wo

Phazite
12-24-2012, 04:56 AM
Anyone remember that image that I think *b*/Gashin/Relic drew (they're all they same... right?... and that's the person who drew it?) when 2.10 was released with v1 Link handing the sword to v2 Link? Now look at what v2 Link has become in seven long years! :D

cbailey78
12-24-2012, 01:41 PM
OH MY GOODNESS, CONGRATULATIONS for all the hard work from all over the 8 long years of developing the 2.5 release! I bet the Mayans did predict the ZC 2.5 final release. I want to give you the biggest thank you for the perseverance to make it finally happen! It's definitely a Christmas present for everyone!

Merry Christmas everyone and a happy new year!

pkmnfrk
12-24-2012, 08:33 PM
*randomly checks site for first time in years*

Oh hey, I didn't think this was ever going to happen :)

Way to go guys! I might have to get back into ZC now...

The_Amaster
12-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Holy shit. Well done guys

SpykStorm
12-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow, a stable release hasn't occurred since I first discovered ZC. Congrats!

Joe_Cracker
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Can't use the options bar to "goto map" I got map count but not goto map.

CastChaos
01-19-2013, 06:59 PM
BUG
Eppy's LP made me aware, then I tested it for myself:
If the "first enemy carries item" enemy flag and "hide enemy carried items" quest rule are checked, and all enemies onscreen are splitting type, then the "first enemy" WON'T drop the item, rather it will appear at the chosen item spot when all enemies are killed.
This makes some quests unbeatable, including the one Eppy played. Not many place the item destination square anywhere when they check the first enemy to carry the item for not all know the dangers of not doing so.

Imzogelmo
01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
There are other ways to make the "first enemy" fail to drop its item--even in the original LoZ this can happen--and not placing the flag is a design error not a bug in the program. Sure, it's not a very common issue, but when using those flags there needs to be a failsafe. It's in the same category as making a dungeon where keys can be used out of order and doing so makes it unclearable: that is, quest-maker fault.

An one
01-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Greetings, I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure where to post this, but I think it's either a bug or some idiotic mistake I'm making. I am not a technical guy by any means, so if its an ignorant mistake don't criticize.

After getting a little ways in a custom quest, Lost Isle (I can't say if it is this particular quest's fault or not) ZC says the saved file was found, but could not be opened and that if the problem persists, totally erase the saved data. Problem is, once this happens I don't even have the option of playing any quest, custom or otherwise until I destroy all my data. This has happened twice now. All attempts to search the forum and google for a solution have failed. Any suggestions?

Zim
01-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Well, Like I said before its still glitchy on Windows 8, I made a video to show what it does.

G_7ak-n-8Wo

Just out of curiosity, and since I don't have Windows 8, (I run 7), does any of that happen when ran in the Windowed style? I used to have problems with the Full Screen only that never happened when ran in Windowed, which was alright to me because the graphics look better in Windowed style anyway. I don't know what exactly caused those issues since it seems the way the program runs would be the exact same except for the graphics display resolution itself, but I used to get multiple bugs happening only in Full Screen mode. Then about 3 years ago I started running ZC and ZQuest only in Windows mode unless I needed a fraps video, which for some reason also only works in Full Screen. So there is actually a slight difference in priority with Windows that tells the computer's graphics display and other things that ZC is running on Full Screen that do not apply to Windowed version.

BUG
Eppy's LP made me aware, then I tested it for myself:
If the "first enemy carries item" enemy flag and "hide enemy carried items" quest rule are checked, and all enemies onscreen are splitting type, then the "first enemy" WON'T drop the item, rather it will appear at the chosen item spot when all enemies are killed.
This makes some quests unbeatable, including the one Eppy played. Not many place the item destination square anywhere when they check the first enemy to carry the item for not all know the dangers of not doing so.
Yeah, I'd agree that's a design error, not a bug. Sounds like asking for trouble: "First enemy carries item"+the enemy doesn't actually die when it's killed=bad idea.

Greetings, I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure where to post this, but I think it's either a bug or some idiotic mistake I'm making. I am not a technical guy by any means, so if its an ignorant mistake don't criticize.

After getting a little ways in a custom quest, Lost Isle (I can't say if it is this particular quest's fault or not) ZC says the saved file was found, but could not be opened and that if the problem persists, totally erase the saved data. Problem is, once this happens I don't even have the option of playing any quest, custom or otherwise until I destroy all my data. This has happened twice now. All attempts to search the forum and google for a solution have failed. Any suggestions?
I think this is probably the wrong thread to post this on.. however since I'm not a mod on agn I can't move it to where it belongs. I had this message occur before and closed and opened ZC once or twice and it worked fine. Are you using the right version of ZC in the first place? Lost Isle was made on 2.5 and needs 2.5 to be played. The newest release should work for that. Since it's only happened twice I'm assuming you weren't too far into the game. I would recommend redownloading the current ZC and make sure you unzipped/extracted the files to a new folder before playing the game. ZC will run from the .zip file on the newer versions of Windows but there would be problems with writing to the folder after that.

Oh, and HIP HIP HORRAY!

Ventus
01-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, and since I don't have Windows 8, (I run 7), does any of that happen when ran in the Windowed style?
It use to run pretty good in Windowed mode, But something I did made it where it won't run at all. Its no biggie really. I just manged to get ZC to run on my laptop.
Which runs it fine.

So I'm going to wait to try to get ZC to work on 8 at least till I get my new rig built where I can have a nice new refreshed Windows.

An one
01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
I think this is probably the wrong thread to post this on.. however since I'm not a mod on agn I can't move it to where it belongs. I had this message occur before and closed and opened ZC once or twice and it worked fine. Are you using the right version of ZC in the first place? Lost Isle was made on 2.5 and needs 2.5 to be played. The newest release should work for that. Since it's only happened twice I'm assuming you weren't too far into the game. I would recommend redownloading the current ZC and make sure you unzipped/extracted the files to a new folder before playing the game. ZC will run from the .zip file on the newer versions of Windows but there would be problems with writing to the folder after that.

Oh, and HIP HIP HORRAY!

I unzipped the files long before I heard of Lost Isle, and it is version 2.50, latest release.:blue: And when I say the message appeared twice, I mean I had to actually delete my files twice. It pops up every single time I try to run ZC. At this point, I can't play it at all, custom quest or otherwise.

Ventus
01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
An one
I don't know if you want to or not. But if you want to play Lost Isle perfectly and don't have to worry about ZC 2.5 Stable deleting the save file. You could always try playing this version.
http://koti.welho.com/pranta18/index.htm

An one
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Thank you Ventus. That explains it pretty perfectly. So I guess this issue with save files won't be an issue in the future. Thanks again!

Megalosaurus
01-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Hi guys.
I'm starting to learn quest development.

I'm running Zelda Classic 2.50 on a laptop with windows 7, but i have 2 problems.
1) The settings of ZC doesn't persist, each time i load ZC (directly or via Zlaucher) i loose the keyconfig changes. I have to reconfigure the keys each time i run the program. This doesn't change even if I run it "as administrator".

2)In Zlaucher i choose bigger sizes of window, but it never scales the program, it always runs in the smaller size, no matter if it is windowed or fullscreen, is always in the 600*400. This doesn't change even if I run it "as administrator".

Any solution to this.

Joe_Cracker
07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Hey, could we have maybe Zelda Classic on the Wii, like a version that plays quest v2.5 and older?

These quests are fun and to play them on my tv without having to move my PC and hook it up would be pretty convenent for some of us. You can just sit in the living room and not in a small stuffy bedroom or home office.

CaRmAgE
07-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Hi guys.
I'm starting to learn quest development.

I'm running Zelda Classic 2.50 on a laptop with windows 7, but i have 2 problems.
1) The settings of ZC doesn't persist, each time i load ZC (directly or via Zlaucher) i loose the keyconfig changes. I have to reconfigure the keys each time i run the program. This doesn't change even if I run it "as administrator".

2)In Zlaucher i choose bigger sizes of window, but it never scales the program, it always runs in the smaller size, no matter if it is windowed or fullscreen, is always in the 600*400. This doesn't change even if I run it "as administrator".

Any solution to this.

DXGL is a solution for Windows users that seems to work for a lot of people. Just follow the short instructions in this post (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?95818-Windows-8-loads-all-glitchy&p=897284&viewfull=1#post897284).

Hey, could we have maybe Zelda Classic on the Wii, like a version that plays quest v2.5 and older?

These quests are fun and to play them on my tv without having to move my PC and hook it up would be pretty convenent for some of us. You can just sit in the living room and not in a small stuffy bedroom or home office.

There have been many discussions on this topic. A more recent topic on the matter (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?95570-Porting-Zelda-Classic-to-Consoles-and-Mobiles)

tl;dr: There are plans to port ZC to the Wii as well as mobile phones. This is currently not possible, however, due to ZC's dependency on Allegro 4.