PDA

View Full Version : New AGN Project built on RPG Maker

SUCCESSOR
12-13-2012, 05:49 AM
There is a possibility of AGN and RPG Maker working out a deal to make game in their newest software RPG Maker VX Ace. In order for this to be a possibility we need developers who are interested in undertaking such a project. For anyone not familiar with RPG Maker:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/rpg-maker-vx-ace

Simple Enough for a Child; Powerful Enough for a Developer

RPG Maker VX Ace improves every aspect of RPG creation, making it not only the latest, but also the greatest engine in the RPG Maker Series. With multiple tileset support, full autoshadow control, and a flexible features system, Ace gives you the most powerful RPG making tools ever.

While we are all eagerly awaiting Final Fantasy Classic, ctrl-alt-delete has asked me to gauge the interest the community has in a project based off of RPG Maker. There is RPG Maker VX Ace Lite which is a free but limited version. Anyone interested in the idea should check out the lite version. In order for this project to happen we need dedicated people who are willing and able. So give us some feedback.

MasterSwordUltima
12-13-2012, 06:34 AM
I've got 10+ years of experience in the RPG Maker field. I prefer 2k3, which I personally believe to be the best maker, but I've dabbled in the others. I would consider myself to be a bit savvy in utilizing events also.

Gleeok
12-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Interesting. What sort of "deal" are we talking about?

Ventus
12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm with Gleeok... What is this deal you are talking about? I'm a bit curios about the whole thing.

Moosh
12-13-2012, 12:55 PM
The Moosh shows interest. Sadly the Moosh has only slightly dabbled in RPGMaker and that was years ago. DFW has RPGMaker experience, right? Maybe we should invite her onboard...

ctrl-alt-delete
12-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Interesting. What sort of "deal" are we talking about?

I'm with Gleeok... What is this deal you are talking about? I'm a bit curios about the whole thing.

Basically, we know a guy who knows a girl who went to school with a guy who is in a gay relationship with a guy who works for the company that develops RPG Maker...er...something.

Long story short, we have access to a team license for RPG Maker. I think we should make a community game, or several. (These could even be simultaneously developed.)

Examples:
AGN members battle through AGN's history to defeat the evil Spambot. (The spambot could have the coolest attacks in the world, a la Kefka.) This would be a great comedy RPG.
Anthony wakes up in a foreign location with no memory of how he got there. When monsters attack, he uses his army training to defeat them...but when he picks up something one of the monsters dropped, he becomes caught up in a dark quest for power. This would be a fantasy RPG with AGN members present. (The usernames would be "code names" in the game.)

Help that one little pony defeat that evil power with love and rainbows.

Just a regular RPG or game. Etc.

With lots of members doing different parts, if we coordinate pretty well, we can put these games out pretty fast I assume.

Like Successor said, if you think you're interested, download the Lite version and mess around with it to see if it's something you'd be interested in helping with. Once we gauge interest and put a team together, we can figure out licensing and start planning one or several games. (It would be completely okay to be on one team and not another.)

Tim
12-13-2012, 01:11 PM
"You awaken alone in a dimly lit cave. You have an unlit torch lying next to you."

I used RPG Maker in the past... Didn't make too much

Ventus
12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
ctrl-alt-delete Thanks for filling me in. Sounds like this might be interesting, But I don't think I can help. I don't know anything about RPG maker at all.
I messed with rpg maker 2000 a long long time ago, and made one game. but it sucked and I deleted it.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
You wouldn't have to make a game. That's the beauty of an entire community contributing. You could make a simple map. (Town, Cave, etc.)

Ventus
12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
You wouldn't have to make a game. That's the beauty of an entire community contributing. You could make a simple map. (Town, Cave, etc.)

Well I think I can do that. Making a map can't be to hard. I Guess I can help a bit then. Just expect to much.
The area would be called generic something (Depends on what I'm doing).

CJC
12-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm game. I can produce both smooth and pixel art and write dialogue for NPCs

I think characters based on AGN members should be written by those members themselves to reduce the risk of alienating or embarrassing them. For those that cannot do this [by availability or regrettably because they have passed on], an appropriate proxy could be selected or they should be excluded from the game.

A forum-wide project will not only improve forum morale, it will draw attention to AGN as a whole. I think this is a great idea and shouldn't stop at RPGMaker. We should keep in consideration site-wide ZC (and eventually FFC) projects.

Brasel
12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I used RPG maker 2K3 quite a bit back in the day. I don't have nearly as much experience with it as MSU does but I can help. School is still my priority but I can work on this instead of my Zquest if it helps AGN. I know how to do maps and basic event stuff.

Xyvol
12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I can contribute as well. I have played around with all the RPG Makers since at least 2000. I bought legal copies of both XP and VX Ace. So yeah, I'm familiar with the way the programs work. I am terrible at scripting and any sort of art. I mostly do things using the event editor, so basic stuff.

Phoenix
12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I used RPG Maker VX quite a bit back in my day, and I've got a pretty great knowledge of how everything works.

As for what I'm best at, I'm good at map design, area naming, event making, dialogue and story making.

MasterSwordUltima
12-16-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm actually curious as to why we don't have any ZQuests made by the entire community. I would think this would be something that would come first - but I am down for helping out in any way needed for RPG Maker.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-16-2012, 12:42 AM
I agree with the community quest, but as I have no clue whatsoever how to use ZQuest, I haven't taken any sort of lead. I figured the HQPF announcement would lead to some.

erm2003
12-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Neo First was sort of a community quest. It was open to a lot of people and I believe at one point they were asking people to do things like make sprites, tiles, etc. to help the project. Not sure where that left off but when development for 2.5 kinda slowed down and AGN had it's hacking problems then the project just seemed to stop. ShadowTiger was one of the developers of the quest if I remember correctly. Either that or he was helping to organize it.