PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to recommend some software for Linux?

Ventus
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Well I just killed my windows on my old Toshiba Laptop. And promptly installed Lubuntu 12.10 on it.
So far I'm liking how this Ubuntu spin off is. it works pretty fast on these specs.

Toshiba satellite Laptop
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.40Ghz
RAM: 1.00GB DDR
VIDEO: Intel extreme Graphics, 64MB
HARD DRIVE: 120GB

All I'm doing right now is just messing around with it, But I was wondering.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what software is a must have for a Linux system?

Heck I don't know if there is any Linux users here, But I thought I would ask :P.

Tim
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Gimp for images.

Use Wine to experiment with emulating Windows to run programs you previously used.

Ventus
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Gimp for images.

Use Wine to experiment with emulating Windows to run programs you previously used.

Thanks, I'll get them this weekend.

MasterSwordUltima
12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Pidgin for all communication stuff.

Chromium is I believe the Linux version of Google Chrome.

GIMP is super pro on Linux. (Your photoshop equivalent/successor).

Chris Miller
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
LibreOffice for your office needs.
Zelda Classic, of course. :3

Ventus
12-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Pidgin for all communication stuff.

Chromium is I believe the Linux version of Google Chrome.

GIMP is super pro on Linux. (Your photoshop equivalent/successor).
Yep, Pidgin will be gotten asap along with chromium and Gimp.
Heck right now I'm using Chromium on my Windows 8, It seems to work better then the google version :|

LibreOffice for your office needs.
Zelda Classic, of course. :3
Yeah I need to get both of those.
Hey is Zelda classic available through the software center?. Or do I have to install from the .tar?

Chris Miller
12-08-2012, 02:48 AM
You'll have to install from the .tar.

Ventus
12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Oh that should be fun. I suck at installing things from .tar, It should be easy but I somehow make it harder then it should be >_>.

MasterSwordUltima
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
OH, you definitely want Guake terminal. I think Guake2 has been out for a bit too. You will never use the regular terminal again.

Saffith
12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Oh that should be fun. I suck at installing things from .tar, It should be easy but I somehow make it harder then it should be >_>.
ZC hasn't really been adapted to Linux at all; it just keeps everything in its own directory, as it has since the DOS says. Just unzip it somewhere in your home directory.
The launcher doesn't work via desktop link, so if you want one, you ought to use ZC Manager instead. EIther that, or you need a shell script.

Ventus
12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
OH, you definitely want Guake terminal. I think Guake2 has been out for a bit too. You will never use the regular terminal again.
Hmm... I looked that up, It looks like it might be better then the Terminal that came with Lubuntu 12.10. Thanks I'm going to give it a try in a little bit.

ZC hasn't really been adapted to Linux at all; it just keeps everything in its own directory, as it has since the DOS says. Just unzip it somewhere in your home directory.
The launcher doesn't work via desktop link, so if you want one, you ought to use ZC Manager instead. EIther that, or you need a shell script.
So I don't have to do any crazy installations that's good. just unzip it and run it. Sounds simple enough. Thanks.