PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

ctrl-alt-delete
11-17-2012, 01:29 PM
About to partition my hard drive to try it out. Anybody use it yet?

Ventus
11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm using it on my desktop :D, So far I love it. fast, stable, fast boot time. there's not much you can ask for :).
And on top of that I was able to buy it for $69.99 in a store. this is one of the cheapest Windows OS I've ever bought.

I have to say I like it better then windows 7 and windows vista. I upgraded from a Windows vista and never looked back :P

Flash Man
11-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I also use it as my desktop. Before it came out I was worried about it, but it works very well. Microsoft also changed the interface into Team Foundation Systems when using Visual Studio 2012, but I have started to like the change in work flow. I was able to upgrade Windows 7 for just $39.99, which was also very awesome.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Lol, paying for things.

Ventus
11-17-2012, 01:50 PM
You didn't pay for it!? >:( Oh man... you are in trouble :P

Majora
11-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Windows 8 is garbage

Beldaran
11-17-2012, 05:06 PM
When I learned about Windows 8 and that "metro" was the future of windows computing, I bought a used laptop and installed Debian. I am now 100% on Linux.

I don't have a great technical or philosophical reason for this. I just think the Metro UI is literally the stupidest thing I have ever seen on a computer, and I will never voluntarily use a computer that has it.

Brasel
11-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Windows 8 is garbage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29M_VElHoFI

I've played with it at school some. It takes some getting used to. I'm not a huge fan of the "metro" interface so far, but I can see getting used to it. I really would like to have a touchscreen interface to test Win 8 out further. I haven't gotten to try and install anything or run intensive programs yet. The kernel is the same as it was in Win 7, so I don't think there should be many problems along the lines of compatibility with current software. I got a copy free through the school, but I need to build a new computer before I install it.

Ventus
11-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Windows 8 is garbage
Well one mans garbage is another's treasure :P. Really though I don't see why some people don't like it.

Mercy
11-17-2012, 08:43 PM
I have to say I like it better then windows 7 and windows vista. I upgraded from a Windows vista and never looked back :P
Can you expound on what makes it better than Windows 7? I reluctantly upgraded from '98 to XP several years back because..., well because a decade old OS was getting hard to justify. I switched to Win' 7 as soon as it was available because XP did not do it for me and I have been quite content with it. Are there any significant improvements or is it merely more superfluous application integration?

-m.

Beldaran
11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
or is it merely more superfluous application integration?

Boom!

Ventus
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Can you expound on what makes it better than Windows 7? I reluctantly upgraded from '98 to XP several years back because..., well because a decade old OS was getting hard to justify. I switched to Win' 7 as soon as it was available because XP did not do it for me and I have been quite content with it. Are there any significant improvements or is it merely more superfluous application integration?

-m.

Well... Its hard to say what has really improved. I just now it runs faster then it did. and use's less resource's to operate. And with that new booting technology the added into windows 8 It only takes about 10 seconds to boot up.
And while I'm at it. I've never had a freaking working intstall of windows 7 to justifie that it was any count. Every time I ever tried it. It would stop booting correctly after 2 days of use.
7 was the first Windows OS I've ever had trouble with. So i'm going to say its better then 7.
That's all there is to it.

Gleeok
11-18-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm still using XP. Enough said. :D

I'm sure that once support for XP by programs starts being dropped I'll just start using a Linux distro.

Xyvol
11-18-2012, 12:59 AM
I've only used 7 at work not home, so I have limited experience with it. It seems to me there is not a lot in the desktop mode that is different from 7. There are a few things added, like the "go up a level" button that should have been there in the first place. I suggest sticking with 7 if you are comfortable with it. I've been using the release preview of 8 and decided it was tolerable. I'll be getting a new lop top soon and everything comes with 8 pre-installed now. I've been able to minimize the "metro" side of the OS and run mostly off the desktop. I will have to say that I really like the fast boot up though. I never shut my current laptop off because I don't want to wait ten minutes for it to boot or shut down. Same system boot up in ten seconds on Win 8. That's nice.

The "metro" or tablet side is nice... on a tablet. I don't like the move to apps that can only be obtained through the store. I like to get independent programs (like Zelda Classic) and install them on my computer.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Are there any significant improvements or is it merely more superfluous application integration?

-m.

Appears to be so. I had already decided on a fresh Windows install, so I decided to give it a try.

After looking around, it's not very different than 7. The Metro is rather foreign right now, but I can see it being useful after getting used to it and further development.

I decided to go ahead and make the "permanent" switch (barring any major issues that appear) due to a few features that I think will be pretty handy.

I'll post again before I head back to work Thursday morning with an update.

Chris Miller
11-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Windows 8 looks like a bloody automatic teller machine to me. I'd take either 7 or XP over it in a second. I'd really much prefer to run Arch Linux on everything, but they went and jacked up the installation process, so I'm on Windows for now.

SUCCESSOR
11-18-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm still using XP. Enough said. :D

Right there with you. Except I hate XP and have since it was released. The only reason I used it over #! is because I couldn't get #! to extend my desktop to a second monitor.

Beldaran
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/5192012043239windows8vsaol.jpeg

Ventus
11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
huh... That looks almost the same? What the hell!? Oh my god AOL Ripped of microsoft :P *Knows Microsoft ripped AOL off*

Gleeok
11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
THAT is windows 8?!? I've seen SNES games with better user interfaces.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-18-2012, 01:53 PM
THAT is windows 8?!? I've seen SNES games with better user interfaces.

Anything is going to fail easily when being compared to the greatest thing in the history of the world.

Find a video. Once you push the desktop, not a lot is different. They're just trying to get into the app game since tablets "are the future." (Please God, no.) Also, this exists. (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) Personally, I'm not using it, but I can see why others would want to.

Mercy
11-18-2012, 04:57 PM

My first thought, "I miss words."
Then, "I became literate for this?"

This must be how older Asians feel about the death of Kanji.

I do appreciate all the feedback. Metro seems a little clumsy to me but probably because I am strictly a dt user at the moment.

Xyvol, were you really taking ten minutes to boot Win'7? Once my network issue was fixed, my boot time dropped to about ten seconds for Win'7. I would suspect your long boot time to be other than merely the OS but if a fresh OS upgrade fixed the problem, no point pondering what is fixed.

I agree with the dislike for proprietary store apps. That is the main reason* I do not and will not own any devices that start with an "i".

-m.

*there is also something about preference for foreign labor, reprehensible working conditions for said labor, and gross wage disparity but that is for another thread.

Flash Man
11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Can you expound on what makes it better than Windows 7?
The start screen is definitely one of my favorite features. I probably use my keyboard at least 75% of the time; really when I have to use my mouse is when I use it. Given that one of the most common shortcuts I use is Windows+R which launches the Run dialog so I can execute a command. I like the Run dialog, but the problem is that I have to know the exact command to run.

The start screen offers a very fast search just by typing, no shortcuts or explicit focus (other than in the Start Screen) are required. Windows Vista first introduced the Start Menu search, and it was very slow. Windows 7 definitely increased the performance, but Windows 8 is near instantaneous for me.

The search is very robust too. It categorizes the results based upon where it searched. For example some categories are Apps (those in the Start Menu now), Settings (Control Panel), Files (Disk Drive). In addition to the "Windows" searches, you can also search inside of an App just by choosing it as a category. Searching for Portland could result in Portlandia on Netflix, the location on the World Map using Maps, or the local weather using Weather.

Xyvol, were you really taking ten minutes to boot Win'7?
My boot time after upgrading (from Windows 7) does appear to be faster, however it is only barely noticeable. The difference between the two is probably 2-3 seconds faster with Windows 8. My boot time is definitely under 15 seconds.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I get the same results as Flash Man, just a few seconds faster.
Xyvol, you definitely had some issues.

Beldaran
11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a Windows 7 machine as well. I reboot it once every couple of weeks. I can't imagine noticing 2-3 seconds of boot time.

Xyvol
11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
My apologies, I failed to mention it was Vista that was running on my laptop previously. That's probably the reason for the long load time. I blame work for distracting me while attempting to write a post.

My only experience with 7 is using it on the work computer, so mostly using Excel and Chrome, and I don't notice much difference in 8's desktop. The main thing is the start screen, which leads you into app world. I unpinned all the apps and pinned program icons to it instead. Makes it more tolerable in my opinion, even though half the start menu functions have been moved to setting on the right side pop up bar.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/Xyvol/win8start-1.jpg

Brasel
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
My apologies, I failed to mention it was Vista that was running on my laptop previously. That's probably the reason for the long load time. I blame work for distracting me while attempting to write a post.

My only experience with 7 is using it on the work computer, so mostly using Excel and Chrome, and I don't notice much difference in 8's desktop. The main thing is the start screen, which leads you into app world. I unpinned all the apps and pinned program icons to it instead. Makes it more tolerable in my opinion, even though half the start menu functions have been moved to setting on the right side pop up bar.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/Xyvol/win8start-1.jpg

I really like the look of using the start screen like that. I didn't even think to unpin the initial apps and pin my more used programs. This actually makes me more interested in starting my new computer. Black Friday Newegg deals, here I come.

@ctrl-alt-delete (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?40755-ctrl-alt-delete)

I like the idea of the Classic Shell. For me, however, I need to get used to using Win 8 as intended. I need to be as familiar with Win8 as possible so I can support it better.

Nicholas Steel
11-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Also, this exists. (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) Personally, I'm not using it, but I can see why others would want to.

Unsure about Vista as I didn't use it too much, but Classic Shell fixes tons of Windows Explorer bugs Microsoft introduced to the Windows 7 Windows Explorer (In comparison to XP's). It also includes support for numerous ease-of-use enhancements. It's a heck of a lot more then just the classic Start Menu.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm beginning to fall for Windows 8's Charms...see what I did there?

Brasel
11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
When I found out that the action icons that pop up to the side of the screen were called charms, I cringed. Seriously? Could they think of something more stupid and cheesy to call them? The new start menu is called the fairy playground, and apps are call daydreams. The task manager has also been renamed "Santa's List".

Glenn the Great
11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Windows XP served me well for 10 years... and Windows 7 will do the same for twice as long if that's what it takes to avoid that god-awful hipster user interface.

Ventus
11-20-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm beginning to fall for Windows 8's Charms...see what I did there?
:P I fell for windows 8's Charms a long time ago.

When I found out that the action icons that pop up to the side of the screen were called charms, I cringed. Seriously? Could they think of something more stupid and cheesy to call them? The new start menu is called the fairy playground, and apps are call daydreams. The task manager has also been renamed "Santa's List".
Yeah I don't see why they call it Charms. It seems like a pretty stupid name if you ask me.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
The reason I'm beginning to like it is for the apps. As the father of a young daughter, I can see the usefulness of them. She already loves messing with the iPhone and iPad.

Also, this exists. (http://bluestacks.com/) Only just discovered moments ago...

Ventus
11-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Also, this exists. (http://bluestacks.com/) Only just discovered moments ago...
Oh wow, you can use Mobile apps on Windows 8 now? Neat-o. It might be useful to me in the future for something.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
You can use mobile apps on pretty much any version of Windows or Mac apparently.

Probably wouldn't be as polished as the built in Windows 8 app support, but I thought it was worth a share.

zellytoto
08-04-2013, 02:43 PM
When I try to play the new version 2.5 on widows 8 it starts up ok then starts flashing

Majora
08-04-2013, 04:37 PM
When I try to play the new version 2.5 on widows 8 it starts up ok then starts flashing

Wrong forum, home slice. Look in the bug reports forums to see if this hasn't been addressed yet.

However, I'm pretty sure it has. windows 8 and ZC don't get along. Either find another OS (put linux on a USB drive and do it that way) or just wait.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-04-2013, 04:49 PM

http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?95818-Windows-8-loads-all-glitchy&p=897284&viewfull=1#post897284

Zim
08-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Anything is going to fail easily when being compared to the greatest thing in the history of the world.

I would almost agree with that statement had Megaman X4 been a SNES release.
Windows 7 is great. Never used this elusive Windows 8. I believe it is still in betaland. I'm not gonna pay fer no stinkin' beta!
Just Kidding. Windows 9 is the best.

Chris Miller
08-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Anybody can use Windows 8 for free. Just go to the bank and play with the ATM's touch screen. :)

Aliem
08-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Windows 8 is absolutely fantastic with a touch screen setup. As a traditional desktop though, it's not very intuitive. Though I would like to try it again with Start8 or Classic Shell. It is an all around solid os, and is blindingly fast.

Glenn the Great
08-05-2013, 01:21 AM
My question: who would ever want to use a touch screen with a desktop computer? I don't want to have to squint look through greasy smudges when I'm playing vidya.

When I was a kid I learned quickly not to touch my dad's computer screen unless I wanted to get smacked.

Aliem
08-05-2013, 02:03 AM
My question: who would ever want to use a touch screen with a desktop computer? I don't want to have to squint look through greasy smudges when I'm playing vidya.

When I was a kid I learned quickly not to touch my dad's computer screen unless I wanted to get smacked.
Exactly that. That's why I never quite understood touch screen desktop setups. Microsoft really should have released Windows 8 Tablet edition along with a proper desktop release. That way, everyone's happy and customers who want the benefit of a speedier, lighter OS without fucking around with stupid start screens won't have to rely on third party software to fix their UI.

That said, I love 7, and in the almost three years I've been running it, the only BSOD's I've ever gotten were from bad overclocking. That's another reason I haven't upgraded; there's really no need.

Mercy
08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Ditto. I can see having something like a tablet that doubles as a touchscreen input device for my dt monitor but that's too much screen smudging and unergonomic (is that a word?) reaching for desktop purposes. I would love to have a digital, touchscreen artist's canvas but probably too niche to be affordable any time soon.

CST:
I was training AT&T customer service phone rep's when the first iPhones were released. The release was a customer service nightmare on our end. Less than two months after the release, I am standing on cue at a Target behind a man and his toddler son. K. and I cringed in horror while we watched said toddler mauling dad's iPhone and intermittently banging it on the floor, the racks, and the the partition walls. We took comfort by laughing over the iPhones not being insurable through our insurance programme at that time.

CJC
08-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I would love to have a digital, touchscreen artist's canvas but probably too niche to be affordable any time soon.
I purchased an Asus EP121 about a year ago for it's digitizer pen functionality. Ran about 12 Bens at the time, but it was worth it for my self-publishing artwork. That tablet's out of print now, but they've got a new model now--the Asus BP121--which is about the same price.
I mention it because I know the name-brand digital art canvas (Cintiq) is perpetually expensive for no good reason.

I disabled touch functionality and use the Digitizer Pen exclusively for the device. It's got gorilla glass, so any smudges I might make wipe away easily with the microfiber rag that came with the purchase.

But both tablets I mentioned ship with Windows 7, so this might be off-topic. Sorry.

rock_nog
08-06-2013, 12:27 AM
I currently have Windows 8, and I'm just fine with it. From my experience, it's the most stable Windows OS I've used since XP. Vista and 7 always seemed a bit twitchy to me, but 8 has been smooth sailing so far. Beyond that, while it does add some odd new features, there's nothing forcing you to use them, so you can take advantage of the new features that seem useful, and ignore the rest. For instance, I don't use the Metro UI all the the time, and in fact I rarely use it, but there are certain situations in which it comes in handy. And at the same time, I'm glad that I'm not forced to ever even deal with it if I don't want to. Sure, maybe the tweaks I've found useful don't warrant paying full price for an upgrade in and of themselves, but the OS came with the computer I bought, and because the tweaks can largely be ignored, I never have the feeling that, "Oh, I wasted money on this OS," or, "I really wish I had a different version of Windows on this computer."

I mean yeah, I get people who have current computers who say they won't upgrade to Windows 8 - if you don't need to replace your PC, if upgrading would require buying a new OS, that makes sense. The changes made don't in themselves warrant that extra expense. I'm just saying, like let's say your computer craps out and you have to completely replace it. If the new PC comes with Windows 8, the OS seems solid enough to me that I can't see anyone going out of their way to downgrade it to an older version or anything. Most of the complaints I've heard have been along the lines of, "It adds new features I don't need," as opposed to, "It removes features that I did need."

Allow me to make a comparison - we all know TF2 basically became Hat Fortress 2. A lot of people think the hats are completely unnecessary. However, no one forced you to buy an upgrade to the game to allow for hats. So, if you don't care about the hats, you don't have to bother with them. Windows 8 seems a lot similar to me. It adds a bunch of extra bells and whistles while not restricting people who don't care about those features. Sure, you have to pay for it now, but in time, as people replace their old computers for new ones, it'll become the standard, and when it's basically included with whatever PC you get, I don't think people will complain about it as much.