PDA

View Full Version : The Quest Players Handbook

NewJourneysFire
11-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I want to begin a job creating the Quest Players Handbook designed get more people into playing Zeldaclassic Quests, and thus leading more people back to our forums here at AGN and perhaps attract more people to Zeldaclassic itself.

I rejoined AGN and made this place Souls of Wisdom exclusive to help bring the popularity back into this place, and I have been talking to few of the big names here about it. But I am seeing something that's kind of outside the box that's actually flawed about the AGN revival.

The current revival plain flaw: We aren't aiming high enough, and are actually not aiming at all to get our product back into popularity.

It's not AGN that has the problem now today, it's that there are so many Zelda fans today that don't have a clue what Zeldaclassic is, and when they do hear of us, they are completely overwhelmed by the quest database. There are simply just way too many quests, and the top 10 section in the database doesn't quite seem to be doing its justice anymore.

I was starting to believe that AGN's problem was the decreased popularity of Zelda itself, but not quite so, as Zelda is still one of the most popular franchises of all time that's still gaining new fans.

I simply don't think Zeldaclassic is recognized in most popular Zelda sites "fan game" sections. Why not? That's what we provide, Zelda fan games, and by far, we are close to the best Zelda fan games can get.

And than there is the fact that we are so overwhelming with an abundant amount of quests, we simply don't have the resources to lead people in the right direction.

I believe what we need is a type of wiki page that is simple, and will guide newbies where they need to go, that can be accessed on the main page of zeldaclassic.com

I also believe we need to pitch something new, be it just a statement that screams "Zelda fans will absolutely love Zeldaclassic". I believe with the right approach, we can bring popularity back here. Because I'm certain we wont get that from purezc because purezc has its strength from its community which is not like a family, they are too loyal to purezc, and with good reason. But if we overlook the fact they have more activity, we'll notice very fast that they aren't gaining anymore attention from new members than we are, which proves that we need a Zeldaclassic revival, not an AGN forums revival.

Can I get any agreements here? :)

ctrl-alt-delete
11-15-2012, 01:39 AM
I'll put more later, but for now, just this thought--it's been slow going.

I know a lot of it is kind of behind the scenes, but we're still hard at work. We're always open to suggestions and help from anybody that has the means/know how to do so.

NewJourneysFire
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I plan on in a non-obnoxious way to get involved with few of the leading Zelda sites that exist today, and advertise us as modestly as possible. I want to fairly understand true rules so that they see I have respect for them.

The younger Zelda fans need to at least know we exist, let alone have the best in Zelda fan games. I am also taking charge of a wikia page dedicated to introduce new people into Zeldaclassic without intimidating them. I will not provide any confusing information, but will provide links to the more complicated stuff.

This project will be slow going though, as I am spending much of my energy on my Souls series.

To do this right, I want to put as much research in as possible. It would be a terrible idea to make a handbook for newbies if the handbook contains incorrect information.

The things I will be looking for is:
- Legendary Quests: These are the Quests that go down in the books as being the best for it's time.
- Quests that are Hot: These quests are the upcoming Quests, or the quests that gained it's reputation in the past year or two.
- People You should Know: Authors like DFW and Freedom will be mentioned here, also the staff who developed ZC.
- ZC History: An entertaining biography.
- Websites and Links: For people who want to jump deeper into the ZC world.
- Basics on ZQuest: Since this page is for newbies, I just want to provide only the basics, and than they can come here or PureZC to learn more.

I am thinking of more ideas as I go. But I want to introduce new fans, and this approach to appeal to newbies is possibly the best thing I can come up with.

I will provide a link to my page in the near future.

Phazite
11-17-2012, 01:21 AM
I agree with you and have had similar thoughts. Now, I thought there used to be a ZC wiki, but something happened to it and I don't remember what. I feel that a wiki would play an important role in informing and exposing Zelda fans to ZC. It would also be very important to spread the word. Since there has been no completed version of ZC in years I think finishing 2.5 is one of the most important things that can be done as it would send a strong signal that ZC is a solid tool to work with... but I'm getting off topic.

Anyway, I like your Quest Player Handbook idea.

NewJourneysFire
11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Chances are, having this handbook released at the same time as an official ZC2.5 would be an excellent idea to get this place back to life. I don't know why it's so slow going. How perfect must 2.5 be before it can be allowed to be released to fans?

Why not just make a Zeldaclassic 3 if the current version doesn't beat the punch? I mean seriously. The Zeldaclassic that's offered on the main page is kind of ancient.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-17-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki/Main_Page

Needs lots of work.

How is the ZC on the main page ancient?

NewJourneysFire
11-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Ain't it still ZC 1.1 or something?

That's right, that's a very helpful wiki, but can be a bit overwhelming for newbies, and more focused on the quest designer program zquest, than guiding fans into finding, loading, and playing good games. But providing a link to shardstorm's page for more in depth material would be ideal.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

NewJourneysFire
11-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I guess my facts are a bit ancient. Lol

NewJourneysFire
11-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Okay, Since they are close to officially releasing 2.5, I will make the go ahead on my little side project here. As I am doing research I'll be asking alot of questions on the way.

NewJourneysFire
11-18-2012, 10:24 AM
2 questions for anybody that wants to help. Can anybody provide a list of:

Legendary Quests: Quests that's gone down in the books as must play quests, they are the best of the best, and shaped Zeldaclassic history.
Hot Quests: Though not Legendary, they are quests that has been released within the past 2 or 3 years and are amazing all the same. (I hope my quest falls here. Lol)
Upcoming Hot Quests: Quests that have not been released, but are most likely candidates as few of the next biggest quests.

I will list them on my research.

I am thinking Castle Haunt series and Lost Isle will make perfect Legendary Quests.

Fairy Dream is certainly an upcoming hot quest to look out for.

Any nominations? Make your lists as big as possible and I'll do some research on these quests.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Third Quest by @AlphaDawg (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=38530)
Dreams of Yesterday by @C-Dawg (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=38926)
Isle of the Winds by @DarkFlameWolf (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=38927)
The Revenge I and II by PrinceMSC

Upcoming:
Souls of Wisdom 2

King Aquamentus
11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Zelda Classic has moved from one issue to the next it seems. It used to be that you had to complete a bizarre ritual with Zquest and ZC in order to play any quest besides 1st and 2nd. Now, there's procedures for getting them to work on new OS's.

DarkDragon
11-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Zelda Classic has moved from one issue to the next it seems. It used to be that you had to complete a bizarre ritual with Zquest and ZC in order to play any quest besides 1st and 2nd. Now, there's procedures for getting them to work on new OS's.

Well, most of the problem is that Allegro, the game engine that ZC and ZQuest are built on top of, is only spottily supported on new versions of Windows. There's not an easy way to fix that short of a code rewrite. It might make sense to have ZC start in windowed instead of fullscreen mode by default, though, which should fix 90% of the problems people have when trying to launch it out of the box.

Gleeok
11-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, most of the problem is that Allegro, the game engine that ZC and ZQuest are built on top of, is only spottily supported on new versions of Windows. There's not an easy way to fix that short of a code rewrite. It might make sense to have ZC start in windowed instead of fullscreen mode by default, though, which should fix 90% of the problems people have when trying to launch it out of the box.

One of the first things I did was actually to default the display 640x480 instead of 320x240 for modern drivers, try to gracefully open a window with various configurations if fullscreen failed, and fix all of the video bitmap/triple buffering crashes. :) It's been forever since anyone has reported these issues anyway. ..At least, until windows 8 came along... :x

Majora
11-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Rewrite zc in java that will work right?!

Gleeok
11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Rewrite zc in java that will work right?!

Aaah It'll never work I tell ya, 'cause for one - where are we gonna put all the global variables?? :sly:

ctrl-alt-delete
11-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Just realized this was in the Public Archives, but the forum wasn't active so nobody could see it.

http://armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?169-Gemstone-Quest-Collection
@Russ (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=42433) , would you be interested in resurrecting this by chance?

(I'm posting this here for obvious reasons, NewJourneysFire.)

NewJourneysFire
11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
I got all the quests that was suggested added for review.

Here is an article I found from the outside which a few newer quests, including my own are reviewed. Would people agree that these are all good examples as well?

http://www.uvlist.net/de/groups/info/zeldaclassicengine

I will keep looking at outside sources to see what people are saying about us.

Phazite
11-22-2012, 01:09 AM
I can't seem to get your link to work for some reason. There does seem to be a consensus though that Lost Isle and Hero of Dreams are among the legendary quests, which is funny because their respective authors don't seem to enjoy each others quest enough to finish them. :p Perhaps Link's Birthday DX should be added to this list as well. It was the best of Mr. Z and the pure tileset before he got burnt out on ZC. Dreams of Yesterday belongs on there with a warning of its difficulty.

As for "Hot Quests", I'd say Isle of the Winds, Origin, MegaMan: Dr.Wily's Revenge - Director's Cut, Power of Geduina, Link to Tortuga, Castle Haunt, and maybe The Wrath and Longing of Nemel.

Russ
11-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Just realized this was in the Public Archives, but the forum wasn't active so nobody could see it.

http://armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?169-Gemstone-Quest-Collection
@Russ (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=42433) , would you be interested in resurrecting this by chance?

Ya know, I actually might be. It would have to undergo some changes (let's face it, I was much younger and stupider when I handled that), but it would certainly be fun. I did do something kinda like this over on Pure (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53461), though that had more of a focus and new quests than oldies.

I think I would be interested in it actually... A guide to which quests are actually good would certainly be useful, and in my experience, the AGN database isn't helpful enough there and the PureZC database is full of people who will rate anything a 5/5... so yeah, consider me interested. Lemme look through and think about how I could restructure this.

(On a side note, I was wondering why for years Gemstone and the old SotW (which I also had a hand in) were hidden. Thanks for fixing that.)