PDA

View Full Version : Bad moon rising

DarkDragon
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Is anyone else preparing for the hurricane about to hit the east coast? I've experienced two hurricanes (Rita in Houston and Irene in NYC) and at this point I'm a bit jaded -- unless you're in a flood zone I don't think anything worse will happen than maybe a day or so without power -- but I did buy a few days' worth of food and water just in case.

SpykStorm
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I know the hurricane is supposed to cause some severe blizzards in some parts of the Appalachians. Kinda weird hearing snow associated with a hurricane.

I live in Alabama, so i'm far from the vicinity of the storm. We're just getting high winds and cold temperatures.

mrz84
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
MO, but that doesn't change the fact I'm worried about friends I have living in the targeted areas.

ShadowTiger
10-28-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm in the hot spot, on Long Island, New York. I've been hauling 50 pound bags of sand and 225 pound generators into peoples' cars for nine hours. I'm beat. Cannot lift any of my arms.

There's a mandatory evacuation for all areas around me. I wonder if that includes retailers. That would probably include my store, though I doubt they'll close. Storm supplies and all. They make a killing.

I'm looking out over the various bridges in the area, and the water is pretty darn high. I doubt I've ever seen it higher. Full moon and all.

Tim
10-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm in an alright spot even though the bay is 3 blocks away. My boss said to work from home for Monday along with everyone else.

Phazite
10-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Hurricanes are one reason I don't want to live on the east coast. They look cool from space... but are so destructive. It seems annoying having to prepare for them every year. I was wondering though. How far away from the ocean do you think it would be safe enough to not have to worry too much?

mrz84
10-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Hurricanes are one reason I don't want to live on the east coast. They look cool from space... but are so destructive. It seems annoying having to prepare for them every year. I was wondering though. How far away from the ocean do you think it would be safe enough to not have to worry too much?

I live in the Midwest and I still see hurricanes (or at least their remnants) hit me every time one comes up from the gulf. So there's not really anyplace in the US thats safe. Except maybe Alaska. I don't think hurricanes have gone up their since forever.

NewJourneysFire
10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
All East Coast Hurricanes die and become tropical storms long before they reach Newfoundland. The only Hurricane that done real damage up this way is Igor around 3 years ago, and that's only because most small villages on the Island aren't built to handle heavy water flow.

I don't know if we can handle a full scale hurricane, but the ocean seems to kill every hurricane that comes our way.

Phazite
10-29-2012, 11:13 PM
I live in the Midwest and I still see hurricanes (or at least their remnants) hit me every time one comes up from the gulf. So there's not really anyplace in the US thats safe. Except maybe Alaska. I don't think hurricanes have gone up their since forever.
If you live far enough west you don't really notice them. In Arizona all that's left is a minor tropical storm if anything.

Ventus
10-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Well I'm not to worried about it. I won't be hit by it. but I hope everyone in the path will be alright. (I'm sure they will be).
But thing I'm seeing where I'm living is a bunch of wind and some freaking Cold air. Its so cold out its crazy. like right now outside is in the lower 40's.

Dashie
10-30-2012, 12:55 AM
I know the hurricane is supposed to cause some severe blizzards in some parts of the Appalachians. Kinda weird hearing snow associated with a hurricane.

I live in Alabama, so i'm far from the vicinity of the storm. We're just getting high winds and cold temperatures.
I live in Pikeville, Ky and snow already got here. :/

Joe
10-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm in the Houston area and after Ike hit I went 23 days without power. And I lost 2 - hundred year old Oak trees that will take... well a 100 yrs to replace.

I hope the storm passed quietly for you.

Enjoy Life!
Thanks - Joe

erm2003
10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
We are still going to be getting the rain and wind from Sandy for the next several days. Thankfully I was not in the direct past of the storm as it was still classified as a hurricane so it will be significantly less destructive here but we will still be on the watch for flooding and power outages. Our power went out 3 times last night but luckily only for seconds at a time. This morning we were without for 2 hours but we think it was purposely done so they could fix issues elsewhere and get it back up.

I hope everyone who was directly in Sandy's path are doing ok today.

Dashie
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Fluttershy have something to say for you.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/334908030/please_be_gentle__sandy_by_johnjoseco-d5je8ou.jpg

Tim
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I've been without power since Monday night now...

Ventus
11-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Tim
That's a bummer... I'm sure they will get it back on soon... but how are you one now?

Tim
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
This is the first day back at work. They have power up here in Somerset.

Ventus
11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Alright that makes sense. Well that's good to hear that they have power at you work place.