PDA

View Full Version : Modern Zelda Scripts

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 05:55 AM
See what I did there? Got your attention didn't I? Okay so lately I have been thinking that we should get together and work out what we can do with ZScript to make ZC quests feel more like a modern Zelda game. So I figure we need a topic for that. Give some suggestions about what core gameplay features of later Zelda games we might be able to incorporate into ZC to make it feel more like a modern Zelda game and how we can do it. Also we can talk about existing scripts that do this but might be broken, outdated, buggy, or just don't work so well and how we can fix that. For instance I have heard there is a script for picking up pots and throwing them but I heard it was buggy. I haven't tried it out but if someone has I'd like to hear how it might need to be improved.

The ultimate goal I think will be to create a "script pack" a group of scripts that improves ZC gameplay and makes ZC quest feel more modern. All scripts would be contained in a zip archive or something which would contain a header file for the pack, the scripts combined(any global code already merged and all scripts in one file), and the scripts separated(each in it's own file with it's global data). This way it will be very easy for users to add the scripts to their quest.

One exclusion I think needs to be made is no scripts specifically for side view. Also no Wii Motion Plus.

Lynker
10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
- Z3 Scrolling (Obviously)
- Pot Smash (With the debris and SFX)
- EASY TO USE Horse (Or just vehicle) script
- Enemies that fight back (Think Minish Cap's/Four Swords's Darknuts)

That's it for now. :joyous:

Ventus
10-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I would like to see Z3 scrolling, and something like when you burn a Bush it catch's other bush's around it on fire and burns to.
Kinda like in Four swords adventures (on GC)

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
- Z3 Scrolling (Obviously)
- Pot Smash (With the debris and SFX)
- EASY TO USE Horse (Or just vehicle) script
- Enemies that fight back (Think Minish Cap's/Four Swords's Darknuts)

That's it for now. :joyous:

Z3 scrolling is generally considered to be much too much effort to be practical. It involves fighting with ZC in almost every way. If you want to see Z3 scrolling you will have to wait for a revision of ZC or a new ZC like project.

Explain what you mean by pots.

Isn't there already a horse script? Honestly I don't see the how it would benefit to gameplay.

I agree we need more custom enemies but I don't think that is really core gameplay.

I would like to see Z3 scrolling, and something like when you burn a Bush it catch's other bush's around it on fire and burns to.
Kinda like in Four swords adventures (on GC)

I don't think that would be hard but once again I dunno if that really enhances gameplay. I was thinking more like rolling or dashing, holding and throwing pots/bushes, MoscowModder's ALTTP Map script, etc.

Ventus
10-23-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't think that would be hard but once again I dunno if that really enhances gameplay.

It probably wouldn't enhance's gameplay. But it sure would be neat.

Shane
10-24-2012, 03:52 AM
My suggestions:
• HUD system
• Enemies with the ability to slash with swords
• Customizable game over screen (Like, background, text, music...)

:)

SUCCESSOR
10-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Once again I think enemies would be separate, maybe we could start a "script pack" for non boss enemies. Anyway I have done some stuff for HUDs(you know) and game over screens. Nothing I can really show. What would you want to customizable? Background? There aren't any game over screen scripts floating around are there?

trudatman, SpacemanDan, Majora, CJC, ctrl-alt-delete, XMuppetSB, Nathaniel, Link, I see your names down there. Aint no window shoppers!

trudatman
10-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I have no idea. all of this stuff is way over my head.

CJC
10-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, my scripting capacities are not good enough for simulation of this caliber (and I haven't the time to dedicate for them). I could see the benefit of scripts like these, but I don't believe I have anything worth contributing.

Lynker
10-25-2012, 04:28 PM
A custom save screen (With music, sfx when you move the cursor) would be nice! :D

SUCCESSOR
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
I have no idea. all of this stuff is way over my head.

Yeah, my scripting capacities are not good enough for simulation of this caliber (and I haven't the time to dedicate for them). I could see the benefit of scripts like these, but I don't believe I have anything worth contributing.

This topic isn't just for scripters. It's for everyone. It's to discuss ideas to improve the game that could potentially be scripted. There are people out there(like me) who can and will script great ideas for others and themselves. This is just a place to brainstorm ideas.

For instance I have been thinking about rolling. I know there are some rolling scripts out there(like press R and link rolls a short distance) but I have heard they are buggy(don't trigger warps or something). Do we have a rolling script out that works well? Do you like how it works? I'd prefer it to work by double clicking a direction instead of pressing a button. So that too many buttons aren't needed to play, especially if you have some dedicated to other things(shield, action, jump, equipment change). Do you think that would be better than a dedicated button press?

Lynker how would you want it to work? How would it be activated? Does it just save?

Shane
10-26-2012, 06:06 AM
I believe the Game Over/Continue screen should be on a normal screen, from there, you could customize the screen, palette and music with the default features. All that would leave just the text options and the selector to be scripted. But I'm not sure that works or not.

MasterSwordUltima
10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Z-Targeting!

wellthatescalatedquickly.jpg

Lynker
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Basically what Shane said.

And Z-Targeting has already been done! It's actually pretty cool. xD

CJC
10-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Maybe... a script for larger explosion graphics from bombs? The one-tile sprite limitation is... well, just that.

SUCCESSOR
10-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Maybe... a script for larger explosion graphics from bombs? The one-tile sprite limitation is... well, just that.

Hmm, I wonder if this would be as simple as I imagine it would be. I am thinking a global script that detects an explosion eweapon and replaces it with a scripted one. Maybe I will try it out later.

asdfnabsdnfba,sndbf

MasterSwordUltima
10-31-2012, 06:13 AM
What about (and perhaps this is already possible) a room type setting/guy setting that only activates when the player has obtained a selectable item. A sort of advanced version of the letter>potions routine.

Majora
11-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Fairy in a bottle would be nice. Or otherwise some similar effect.

A script for playing random SFX for different things (example: walking over different combos, or a random SFX every time link gets hurt). Basically, a script that will play a random (from a pool of sequential SFX) sound for things that happen often. (firing arrows, swinging sword, getting hurt, etc.)

SUCCESSOR
11-02-2012, 01:45 AM
What about (and perhaps this is already possible) a room type setting/guy setting that only activates when the player has obtained a selectable item. A sort of advanced version of the letter>potions routine.

I think this may be possible without scripting with warping and what not. I am pretty sure you can change screen flags(room type, guy, etc), though I haven't done it. What is your idea for such a script?

Fairy in a bottle would be nice. Or otherwise some similar effect.

A script for playing random SFX for different things (example: walking over different combos, or a random SFX every time link gets hurt). Basically, a script that will play a random (from a pool of sequential SFX) sound for things that happen often. (firing arrows, swinging sword, getting hurt, etc.)

Fairy in a bottle would be nice. I have been putting off the functions I plan on doing for your bottle idea. For those who don't know we CJC posted about it here (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94863-Majora-Successor-CJC-Script-Collaboration-Thread&p=890147&viewfull=1#post890147). I was thinking about adding a fairy in a bottle item in that script. Maybe when you pick up a fairy item and you have a empty bottle it you basically catch it. If not it just heals you as usual. Or would you want to catch it with an item like ALttP or OoT?

Something to think about:

If you could change or add something to Link's behavior what would it be?

CJC
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
For the fairy, it'd be better (read: easier to script and use) if you simply captured it in an empty bottle when you have one to spare. It'd also be nice if it could be triggered when you run out of HP, provided one of your bottles has a fairy. The cinematic of it reviving you wouldn't be necessary, it could just replenish the HP and maybe draw a tile of the fairy flying away.

For Link's behavior, I'd say reaction graphics for damage. I think a lot of people would want him to look like he's been hurt when he bounces back from an attack.

Lynker
11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Something to think about:

If you could change or add something to Link's behavior what would it be?

Um, idle animations maybe? Faster spin attacks? 180 degree slashes?

bigjoe
11-04-2012, 02:24 PM
How about a script that makes him animate similarly to how he does in LTTP after getting an amulet. The little SHING animation...?

MasterSwordUltima
11-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I think this may be possible without scripting with warping and what not. I am pretty sure you can change screen flags(room type, guy, etc), though I haven't done it. What is your idea for such a script?

For me personally, I wanted to have a shop sell certain items, and then change it's stock depending on triforce piece accumulation. So you could buy the white sword if you already have 4 triforce pieces, for example.

For scripting, I would assume it would be something along the lines: (I have no idea the proper syntax for ZQuest coding, btw)

If Triforce.Item => 4
Then SensitiveWarp DMAP, SCREEN#, X, Y
Else
SensitiveWarp DMAP, SCREEN#, X, Y
Endif

Then just simply apply that to a combo (which would be the door to the shop). Achieving the changing shop inventory (or changing a whole town, whatever you want) would be as simple as making identical screens, with different shop#s.

SUCCESSOR
11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
For me personally, I wanted to have a shop sell certain items, and then change it's stock depending on triforce piece accumulation. So you could buy the white sword if you already have 4 triforce pieces, for example.

For scripting, I would assume it would be something along the lines: (I have no idea the proper syntax for ZQuest coding, btw)

If Triforce.Item => 4
Then SensitiveWarp DMAP, SCREEN#, X, Y
Else
SensitiveWarp DMAP, SCREEN#, X, Y
Endif

Then just simply apply that to a combo (which would be the door to the shop). Achieving the changing shop inventory (or changing a whole town, whatever you want) would be as simple as making identical screens, with different shop#s.

If you just want to set up warps determined by Triforce pieces that could be done. For on screen something like your psuedo code would work but if you want whole towns to change there will be a little more involved. I am working on a potion shop right now based off LTM's update of Joe123's shop script. I could try to edit the shop script to sell certain Items depending on triforce pieces if you like.

How about a script that makes him animate similarly to how he does in LTTP after getting an amulet. The little SHING animation...?

I don't know what you mean. Can you find a youtube video or something as an example?

Um, idle animations maybe? Faster spin attacks? 180 degree slashes?

You mean animate link when he is standing still? That wouldn't be hard maybe. Is it something a lot of people want though?

Spin attacks and custom sword actions would have to be scripted from scratch using Script1 LWeapon. This means you'd have to set Script weapon type to affect enemies the same way as sword(esp. if you had both scripted and unscripted swords) and it would have the same affect as any other script items(ice magic or something). I've tried scripting a custom sword once but got annoyed and lazy. I may try again sometime.

Lynker
11-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Yes, animate Link when he's still. I haven't seen many people wanting it, but it would make ZC feel more like the 3D games.

And really? So...nevermind :/

Shane
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I want a blinking Link, it's kinda creeping that Link never blinks... But maybe I'm just being picky.

EDIT: Maybe showing the bow when Link is about to shot? IDK if you already scripted it but I'm putting it out there~ Also maybe Z3 scrolling? *shot*

Maybe bomb flowers too?

Moosh
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I'd like to see some more autoghost Z3 bosses. Of course I could write my own, but I'd assume that would require digging through LttP's code which I assume would require some knowledge of ASM, which lo and behold I have none. Specifically Moldorm, Helmasaur King, and Trinexx. Yeah I know. Way to go for the most complicated bosses from LttP.