PDA

View Full Version : ZC changes to come, and a call for help

DarkDragon
10-22-2012, 03:51 AM
When Jeremy (Phantom Menace) and Jarrod (War Lord) started working on Zelda Classic 13 years ago, I'm sure they had no idea how much it would take off -- that it would become the most popular Allegro project of all time, that it would be featured on TechTV and Home of the Underdogs, or that its fans would create hundreds of custom quests, many rivaling the official 2D Zelda games in quality. To help distribute and publicize their game, they and some of their friends created the Armageddon Games "company" and started this forum; the ZC splash screen has featured the AGN logo since.

However in recent years War Lord, much like most of the original members of AGN, has become very busy in real life; in a recent discussion with ctrl-alt-delete, he indicated that he no longer has the time to remain Zelda Classic's official custodian, and has asked us to take two steps to ensure that ZC continues to develop and thrive: open the ZC source, and revamp zeldaclassic.com to serve as an official home for continued ZC development.

What follows is our plan for implementing these wishes. Before I get into the details, I want to acknowledge that the proposed changes will be somewhat controversial. However, we've shared this plan with both the current developers and Phantom Menace, and recently with the forum staff as well, and hope we've addressed the most serious concerns. While the precise impact these changes will have is impossible to predict, I honestly believe they are in the best interests of the project in the long term, and will breathe new life into ZC and its community; I am therefore excited to announce that the ZC 2.50 release will be accompanied by the release of (most of) its source code under the GPL, accompanied by a switch to open development, and that we are launching a revamp of zeldaclassic.com to get it ready to be the hub of this development.

Let me be more specific about what this means, and what it does not:

Development of ZC 2.50 will not be affected. All of the changes I'm discussing here will take effect when 2.50 is released.
Your old password-protected quests will remain protected, to the extent they are now. The opened version of 2.50 will have its quest decryption keys stripped out; what this means is that old quests, and new quests built with the "official" zquest binary, will play only on the "official" zc player. Quests saved in the open zquest will play on both the open and "official" player.
Dark Nation and his chosen minions will remain the developers of the "official" Zelda Classic, and will have final say over what changes get committed to the official code repository.
You will be free to browse the source code, compile it, and if you so desire, submit patches to the developers for inclusion in newer versions of ZC.
You will be free to make a new version (fork) of ZC, provided that you publicly release the source code to your new version. Of course, we would hope that you would instead contribute to official development, rather than splintering off your own version.
You are free, and encouraged, to port ZC to new platforms, such as the PSP, Android, etc.

We hope to turn zeldaclassic.com into the hub for ZC's future, open development. We want to add to the site the official repository; the scripts and wiki currently hosted on shardstorm; a professional bug-tracker like Bugzilla; an improved QDB that is more easy to search and upload files to; and a modernized layout. To do all of this we will need your help! If you have a vision for what the site should look like or what features it should have, please let us know! If you're a web developer, designer, or artist and would like to help us build or maintain a worthy new home for Zelda Classic, we could definitely use your skills! And as always, feel free to reply here with any questions, thoughts, or suggestions.

SUCCESSOR
10-22-2012, 04:16 AM
I am very excited about this decision. I have been hoping for it for some time. I can't wait to see what the future has in store and get to know the inner workings of the program I have known for about 12 years.

bobby_light
10-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Excellent news. I'm looking forward to finally being able to contribute to the community. New scripting and dev tools will go a long way to making ZC accessible to newbies, and an open-source code base will allow that to happen.

What parts of the code won't be made available under GPL?

DarkDragon
10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
What parts of the code won't be made available under GPL?

The custom quest decryption key, and possibly some of the code related to custom quest decryption. As outlined above, we want to keep older quests as secure as possible while still releasing most of the code.

trudatman
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm no programmer, so please excuse the likely confused understanding of what this all means, but could old versions be rereleased as open-sourced programs, too? I'd love for 1.90 to be customizable, as that version was stable. I very much feel that most of the work done since should be redone from that last stable version. good luck with all of these plans, especially the getting 2.5 ready to be a properly stable 3.0 package. it still seems to me that a release is a long way off.

Russ
10-22-2012, 12:36 PM
This is awesome. Great news, and news that's sure to revitalize the community. There's just one thing I'm a bit confused on. There's going to be one "official" Zquest and ZC player, and multiple branch offs, correct? And quests saved in the official player will still have the option for password protection, right? If so, interesting...

As for the new site, I don't have too much to say, except for really the role it's gonna play. The way I see it, Zeldaclassic.com oughta become the hub for general ZC discussion and development, whereas Purezc.com oughta be the hub for quest development and design. Thus, the new ZC site oughta be focused on the program itself, the source code, the various tools that will undoubtedly pop up (so far, somebody at PZC has expressed interest in making a ZScript code editor that plugs directly into the script compiler, for example) and so on.

Edit: Wait, I remember that before, ZC 3.0 was going to be a complete rewrite of the code. Is this still going to happen, or is that plan pretty much dropped now?

DarkDragon
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
This is awesome. Great news, and news that's sure to revitalize the community. There's just one thing I'm a bit confused on. There's going to be one "official" Zquest and ZC player, and multiple branch offs, correct? And quests saved in the official player will still have the option for password protection, right? If so, interesting...

Let me try to clarify. There will be an official code repository, and if you download and compile that code, you will end up with a version of ZQuest that can save password-protected quests that are playable on all Zelda player binaries. The password protection will stop casual copying of the quest assets, but will not stop a knowledgeable programmer from "cracking" the quest (by modifying the source code). Also, the Zelda player won't be able to load old quests, in order to better protect these quests.

There will also be official binaries released, compiled with all of the open source, plus some extra code not included in the open source that allows the official binary to read in old quests. It will still be possible for a hacker to crack a quest (as it is now) but since the needed code won't be public, it would take substantially more work.

CJC
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
There will also be official binaries released, compiled with all of the open source, plus some extra code not included in the open source that allows the official binary to read in old quests. It will still be possible for a hacker to crack a quest (as it is now) but since the needed code won't be public, it would take substantially more work.

Am I right in believing these will also be available as executable files, like the earlier official versions? Or will the new Zelda Classic require its users to compile the executable themselves?

ctrl-alt-delete
10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Am I right in believing these will also be available as executable files, like the earlier official versions? Or will the new Zelda Classic require its users to compile the executable themselves?

Lol, we'll definitely compile them. :)

DarkDragon
10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Lol, we'll definitely compile them. :)

Right ;)

bobby_light
10-22-2012, 11:18 PM
The custom quest decryption key, and possibly some of the code related to custom quest decryption. As outlined above, we want to keep older quests as secure as possible while still releasing most of the code.

Cool, so there'll be a compiled DLL of the quest encryption/decryption library then? For each platform?

This really is a great move, as you'll get lots of patches from folks, and there usually aren't too many forked versions of projects like this, at least any that have a following. Folks would rather contribute to the "official" community version.

Will there be a build farm? And hopefully modern source control such as git?

SUCCESSOR
10-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Cool, so there'll be a compiled DLL of the quest encryption/decryption library then? For each platform?

Legacy encryption will only be supported in the official version. Quests made in previous versions(2.10, 1.9, etc) that are encrypted will not open in the open source version. Honestly I think this is a poor decision and I don't understand why we are so worried about it. As I have said before I am not so big on encrypting quests anyway.

DarkDragon
10-23-2012, 01:08 AM

This really is a great move, as you'll get lots of patches from folks, and there usually aren't too many forked versions of projects like this, at least any that have a following. Folks would rather contribute to the "official" community version.

Will there be a build farm? And hopefully modern source control such as git?

Those details are still to be determined -- if you have any experience or advice, please let us know.

DarkDragon
10-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Legacy encryption will only be supported in the official version. Quests made in previous versions(2.10, 1.9, etc) that are encrypted will not open in the open source version. Honestly I think this is a poor decision and I don't understand why we are so worried about it. As I have said before I am not so big on encrypting quests anyway.

I tend to agree with you, but it's necessary to preserve the trust of the people who submitted custom quests earlier under the assumption that they would be protected.

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Protected from what? Is it really that hard to crack pre 2.5 passwords? And what is it that need protection? Are we afraid of people taking quests like lost isle, making small edits and re-releasing it as their own? As if doing such would result in anything but ridicule. A lot of us want to know what needs to be hidden? I bet most people who want to crack open the great quests want to see how it was done not to steal. I know a lot of people are possessive and don't want their work open...

But, that may be the price of progress.

Matthew Bluefox
10-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Will the original 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quests be protected in the open source version? Not that I'd like to actually modify those quests, butt it would be easier to see if I caught all the secrets and have a peak at the enemies coming up in the next dungeon etc. :)

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 05:57 AM
I honestly don't know why those are passworded anyway.

DarkDragon
10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Will the original 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quests be protected in the open source version? Not that I'd like to actually modify those quests, butt it would be easier to see if I caught all the secrets and have a peak at the enemies coming up in the next dungeon etc. :)

They'll be unprotected.

Matthew Bluefox
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Purrfect, thankies for the reply. :)

Glenn the Great
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I honestly don't know why those are passworded anyway.

Few of us know, but now it will be revealed to you, that the original quest developers were long ago each given a phrase from the Necronomicon to encode in their quests as an unused message string.

There are things out there that even a dead man should fear to be unleashed upon the world.

Nimono
10-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Protected from what? Is it really that hard to crack pre 2.5 passwords? And what is it that need protection? Are we afraid of people taking quests like lost isle, making small edits and re-releasing it as their own? As if doing such would result in anything but ridicule. A lot of us want to know what needs to be hidden? I bet most people who want to crack open the great quests want to see how it was done not to steal. I know a lot of people are possessive and don't want their work open...

Let me share with you a story of my own. A while ago, I created an SMW hack called "EVERY LEVEL IGGY!" (excuse the title) People liked it, all was good. Couple of years later, I'm notified that someone created their own hack using mine as a base. I contact them and find out, someone else took my UNLOCKED hack and claimed it as their own, spreading it around places with people who didn't know that this person was a thief. So the previously-mentioned person asked if they could use the hack as a base, and they were told "yes".

So, I understand the desire to keep a password on quests, just to protect all your hard work from theft.

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Let me share with you a story of my own. A while ago, I created an SMW hack called "EVERY LEVEL IGGY!" (excuse the title) People liked it, all was good. Couple of years later, I'm notified that someone created their own hack using mine as a base. I contact them and find out, someone else took my UNLOCKED hack and claimed it as their own, spreading it around places with people who didn't know that this person was a thief. So the previously-mentioned person asked if they could use the hack as a base, and they were told "yes".

So, I understand the desire to keep a password on quests, just to protect all your hard work from theft.

So someone breathed new life into your Hack and you are upset? In our community it would be very hard to take a quest and claim it as your own. Any one attempting to do it would be ridiculed.

Nimono
10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
So someone breathed new life into your Hack and you are upset? In our community it would be very hard to take a quest and claim it as your own. Any one attempting to do it would be ridiculed.

They didn't "breathe new life" into my hack at all. They just stole it and claimed it for their own, and someone else came along basically wanting to use the overworld and palettes. There was no new life, no sudden surge of popularity and awareness of it.

And I wasn't saying it only happens in one community. Yes, stealing a quest and calling it your own would be difficult here, if it was released here. Same with SMWC and hacks released there. But how do you know people will not steal a quest, go somewhere else, claim the quest is theirs, and get it incredibly popular while THEY get all the praise and attention, leaving the ACTUAL questmaker with none of that?

DarkDragon
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
They didn't "breathe new life" into my hack at all. They just stole it and claimed it for their own, and someone else came along basically wanting to use the overworld and palettes. There was no new life, no sudden surge of popularity and awareness of it.

And I wasn't saying it only happens in one community. Yes, stealing a quest and calling it your own would be difficult here, if it was released here. Same with SMWC and hacks released there. But how do you know people will not steal a quest, go somewhere else, claim the quest is theirs, and get it incredibly popular while THEY get all the praise and attention, leaving the ACTUAL questmaker with none of that?

I wonder if Shigeru Miyamoto or Takashi Tezuka feel that way ;)

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Where could they go? ZC leads to AGN. It is set up to continue to do so.

ctrl-alt-delete
10-23-2012, 04:38 PM

This is why we wanted a centralized database. I also wanted to put in the license that all quests could only be uploaded to one location, which would prevent exactly what you are describing.

SUCCESSOR
10-23-2012, 09:18 PM
This is why we wanted a centralized database. I also wanted to put in the license that all quests could only be uploaded to one location, which would prevent exactly what you are describing.

I think that is a little strict. Honestly I don't think theft is a problem even if there are more than one or two or five QDBs out there. There will always be a connection and will all lead to here.

bobby_light
10-23-2012, 10:02 PM

I don't think this would make any difference. Someone willing to "steal" a ZC quest is surely also willing to ignore its license. Encouraging folks to upload their creations however, and otherwise join the community, is an excellent idea.

ctrl-alt-delete
10-23-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't think this would make any difference. Someone willing to "steal" a ZC quest is surely also willing to ignore its license. Encouraging folks to upload their creations however, and otherwise join the community, is an excellent idea.

Hypothetically, if somebody stole a quest and took it somewhere else and the original creator discovered it, there wouldn't be much they could do to have it removed(because who owns quests is questionable at best). If the license said it couldn't be there, they could easily have it removed by contacting the host.

Obviously, we decided against the one upload place edit in the license, but it may still be a good idea to list certain places. Here, pzc, etc.

bobby_light
10-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Hypothetically, if somebody stole a quest and took it somewhere else and the original creator discovered it, there wouldn't be much they could do to have it removed(because who owns quests is questionable at best). If the license said it couldn't be there, they could easily have it removed by contacting the host.

Obviously, we decided against the one upload place edit in the license, but it may still be a good idea to list certain places. Here, pzc, etc.

Of course keep in mind you folks are free to do whatever you want, I'm just feeling a little argumentative tonight :)

Are you saying you folks have considered having the license extend to quests created with ZQ? If someone puts a *quest* on another web site, the license of *ZQuest/ZC* doesn't matter - unless you're saying that the ZC license will include a clause along the lines of "all quests created with this program can only be hosted on the following sites..." Having the license extend to products created with ZQ seems a little overbearing - other tools such as GameMaker (or compilers in general) never restrict what you can do with generated output.

Back on topic - I'd suggest the obvious choice of simply hosting on github. Beats hosting your own repository - you get failover, backups, etc. for free - and people can easily fork the project to contribute. As far as a build farm, I have no first-hand experience; they've always been administered by someone else. But that's always something you can look into later.

ctrl-alt-delete
10-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Of course keep in mind you folks are free to do whatever you want, I'm just feeling a little argumentative tonight :)

Are you saying you folks have considered having the license extend to quests created with ZQ? If someone puts a *quest* on another web site, the license of *ZQuest/ZC* doesn't matter - unless you're saying that the ZC license will include a clause along the lines of "all quests created with this program can only be hosted on the following sites..." Having the license extend to products created with ZQ seems a little overbearing - other tools such as GameMaker (or compilers in general) never restrict what you can do with generated output.

Back on topic - I'd suggest the obvious choice of simply hosting on github. Beats hosting your own repository - you get failover, backups, etc. for free - and people can easily fork the project to contribute. As far as a build farm, I have no first-hand experience; they've always been administered by someone else. But that's always something you can look into later.

I considered it for various reasons, but we decided against it.

github is on the table...we talked about a couple other options too.

DarkDragon
10-24-2012, 12:15 AM
The downside to github is that they're more likely to be vigilant about content they fear could give them legal trouble.

bobby_light
10-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Hopefully you'll also consider a commitment to a tighter release schedule (say, a new release every 3-6 months, with point releases in between if major bugs are found). Otherwise, if there's another multi-year release cycle, you'll start to have quests built specifically for the "June 16th image," for example.

Tamamo
01-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I was wondering if since ZC 3.0 is going to be open source if it'll be alright if you Developers wouldn't mind leaking the current code for guys. The main reason I want to take a look at it is making some zscript functions for npcs that cause them to move like an enemy of that type and misc. attributes. I already struggled trying to clone the movement that Peahats use and almost have it down perfectly.

DarkDragon
01-13-2013, 01:41 AM
The current code will be released. We're still waiting on the new site and code repository to be finished.

Zim
01-13-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm sure that if I want this done it's all on me is what's going to be said about this.. But I already wrote enough crazy scripting stuff to turn ZC into a game-creator software itself. I mean, aside from adding in all the smaller stuff like enemy flags and whatnot, and with a few days of covering those grounds, I could turn what scripts I wrote into a game-creating game, so the player actually maps out their dungeons and overworlds and whatnot in the ZC game instead of doing it in ZQuest. It's only a few lines of code per option that allows graphical representations of each function and turns ZC into ZC+(ZQuest-Script Buffer). Anyway, it'd take me months to do it all myself... And the ONLY thing I'd need to modify in the binary itself to get the desired result without just scripting the whole thing in ZQuest with no binary modification is the method of changing the save game count back to 0 for a save game, because every time the player would make a new level and save their game it would up the counter as if they were actually playing the game instead of creating one. I was dinking around with this idea and made a little script where combo(x) appears in front of Link when he presses a combination of buttons (Hold L + A). Things like that, whilst the obvious choice would be to make a scrollable side menu that actually shows the combos with a little description of what they are and be able to click them and place them with the mouse. Sometimes the game would crash in the previous builds but it seems to work fine now, but I also used the mouse and some int storage to make live-drawing happen on the screen like Mario Paint but even better. I'm sure all you guys that aren't new to ZC already considered most of these things.. Anyway, I'd like to eventually release a quest building quest kit that does something like that. It'd be neat to see a player get to create the levels around themselves live in ZC instead of having to switch to ZQuest, save the file, reload ZC file, play a few minutes, switch back to ZQuest, repeat for days. This is something I thought of years ago but I took a lot of time off from ZC altogether and when I got back I mainly focused on sideview platforming, missiles, and skateboarding.
Although the live-in-game creation ZC version is pretty much useless to me or any other advanced ZQuest/Scripter type person it would be something fun for new users and the kids.

Nicholas Steel
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I think that is a little strict. Honestly I don't think theft is a problem even if there are more than one or two or five QDBs out there. There will always be a connection and will all lead to here.

It's less to do with restricting every-bodies ability to work together and improve on stuff and more to do with stopping people from taking your stuff, claiming it as there own and stealing any credit you deserve. Do you honestly think this is better? A guy that made an amazing quest, but everyone believes someone else made? So when the guy that made the amazing quest in the first place tries to do something else... no one will believe there claims of being the author of the original amazing quest and then THEY will get ridiculed/labeled a copy-cat riding on the coat tails of a great quest maker!

You have to have a line in the sand somewhere to prevent that and you can't prevent it without giving up some freedom, in ZC's case there are ways for authors to work around the restrictions by, well, sharing the passwords of there quests/working together.

Matthew Bluefox
01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Hey, sorry for bugging with the password protection again, butt Zelda Classic is now fully developped and released in the 2.5 state, and the standard four quests are still password protected, even though Darkdragon said they will be unprotected. I'd luv to see all secrets editor-wise, so I could copy them over to my Deluxe 3rd and 4th quest planning. :)

concerned_link
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
help me..... I got a new laptop for Christmas, and I cant find an app that will let me play the game?!

Sephiroth
05-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Been several months since the release of ZC 2.50, how goes the development on this part of the announcement regarding the revamped website and public code repositories?

Zerothis
10-28-2014, 01:40 AM
I am still wondering, where is the GPL code that was promised?