PDA

View Full Version : is there a way to ignore a whole section?

trudatman
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
when viewing a message board, I like to use the recent posts or new content buttons. when I am doing that here, I am continually seeing poisonous/gluttonous discussion on "food" that I find outrageous, offensive, criminal, morally reprehensible and just plain gross. rather than spending all of my online time figuratively fighting the tide and pissing off the waves -- I'd rather do that action literally, and preferably at Kehena in Hawai'i, were that state inhabitable -- of murder and abuse, I take breaks from such battles and relax on sites about customizing classic video games. is there a way to not see any content contained in the nonedibles and repulsive stuff subsection? I understand that this is a place where nearly anything goes and I like that, but I think y'all would learn to hate me if I spent any portion of my time here challenging interspecies cruelty and self destruction while promoting purer dietary habits. in avoiding such likely conflict, making this an opt-in group would be preferable for me. the other options that I imagine for outcomes are constructed substantially of this guy avoiding this place. a collapsible menu view would necessitate cumbersome navigation of the main menu, likely leading me to opt out of the larger community and keep the quest project section as my open tab. even though I'd know I was doing good acts, I'd likely get banned if I decided to participate every time I felt the desire to say, "hey, you're doing it wrong; try...." ideally, y'all would be wiling to have this group as an opt-in option or apply some hacking or plug-in that made opting out of whole sections easy. if I can already do that, please advise me as to how that would be accomplished, as I figure my life coaching advice should be an opt-in option, too. (holler if you want in.) thanks for reading this. greater thanks goes to anybody willing to assist with any solutions.

P. S. I also find related topics of smileys, lazy thought and haphazard typing to be offensive, but I can only imagine reasonably likely ways to hide one of those from my viewing of this board. ideas on accomplishing grander eradication of emoticons can be sent to @diesmiley on the twatting network. I guess ideas on hiding those obnoxious smileys from view here can go in this thread, too, but my larger concerns are related to the announcements of jizz slurping and carcass munching.

trudatman
10-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I've got a solution for you! why don't you just fuck off?!

I figured I'd get that out of the way so those who are so worked up that they are sweating and hyperventilating can simply move along.

Ventus
10-04-2012, 07:25 PM
So whats the point of this topic? all I'm seeing is a big wall of text of random stuff about ignoring something. Do you want to ignore this Food forum or what. From how it looks to me you don't have a option to ignore this forum.

CJC
10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Hmm... they can make opt-in usergroups that let you gain access to sub-forums by applying special permissions. I wonder if they could make 'opt-out' groups on the same principle.

I get why AGN doesn't want to hide this forum from the get-go (since it has a lot of activity), but for members that just don't care about the topic, having the ability to join a 'Not Edibles' permission group that hides the forum would be nice. Since you can join and leave permission groups as you please, someone who signs on for the 'Not Edibles' group by accident could simply go to their profile and reverse the decision.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Ventus. Yeah, he wants to hide the "Edibles and Tasty Stuff" forum so that it doesn't show up on the post feed for him. Since his focus is mainly on the Zelda Classic end of things, he wants a feature to selectively 'opt out' of certain forums.

Ventus
10-04-2012, 08:12 PM
CJC
Oh he wants an option for opting out of certain forums. Okay that makes sense.

Ventus
10-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I moved this topic to General Discussion as for it did not belong in Edibles and Tasty Stuff. it was not about food.

Right now We are discussing what to do alright? but for now I would recommend just ignoring the Edibles and Tasty Stuff forum for now.

trudatman
10-04-2012, 11:55 PM
thanks for your time.

Ventus
10-05-2012, 12:34 AM
trudatman

Alright there's a way you can only see the Forums you want to.

Just go to the forum you want to and go to forum tools (It is located right below the jump to page box) just subscribe to the said forum. and then you have to do is go to your profile and view all the forums you are subscribed to. (You can subscribe to all the forums you want to see. and just ignore the ones you don't want to see.)

I hope this'll help you ;)

erm2003
10-05-2012, 07:11 AM
DD just installed a new mod that may help you out a lot more.

Go to your settings page (top right) and click on the general settings link to the left. At the bottom is a new option that you can use to select which boards you would prefer to hide from view. Try that out and let us know how it works for you.

ctrl-alt-delete
10-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Opt in for forums? Users complain. All forums open? Other users complain. Can't win for losing. Can another admin use a forum mask and hide EaTS from trudatman please?

I'm confused though. You seem to be rather opinionated about food. Why not tell us what you eat?

trudatman
10-05-2012, 12:48 PM
thanks, guys! that was exactly the type of solution I was asking for. I opted out of that one forum section. perfect.

@ctrl-alt-delete (http://armageddongames.net/member.php?u=40755)
plants.

Nathaniel
10-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Opt in for forums? Users complain. All forums open? Other users complain. Can't win for losing. Can another admin use a forum mask and hide EaTS from trudatman please?

I'm confused though. You seem to be rather opinionated about food. Why not tell us what you eat?

He is a vegan.

Majora
10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
He eats what food eats.

Ventus
10-07-2012, 02:54 PM
... .

trudatman
10-07-2012, 03:15 PM
it's all good. we can keep the discussion going, if anybody would like. please don't battlemod this place into a Pure clone; Zelda Classic users need an option that isn't what the other one is.

Ventus
10-07-2012, 03:40 PM

trudatman
10-07-2012, 03:56 PM
well, however brief, I thought the two posts in question were valid. they were factual and answered a question that I didn't answer very clearly. one was clarifying and the other was almost funny. I think it's better that we continue such a discussion here, allowing people to post how they want, rather than having me involved in every thread in the section that bothers me. I also think people should feel free to post without holding back and worrying about what the staff will think. there is another place for that.

Ventus
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Well I want to say, go ahead and continue the discussion. I made a error in my judgment, people make mistakes sorry *Shrugs*

trudatman
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
thanks.

so... if we all ate "what food eats," we'd save money, be healthier and prevent damage to our only planet. our fangs are level and tiny because we are historically gatherers. our current system or daily flesh consumption is poisonous to our bodies and bad for our environment. thanks for reading this.

Brasel
10-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a lot of respect for people who eat healthy on a regular basis. I'm not disciplined enough to do it for very long. One day, when I'm not so damn busy and I can spend time preparing my food, I hope to eat healthier. I won't go full vegan, but I'll definitely make an effort to eat more vegetables and fruits than meat.

I've also been thinking a lot about growing a lot of my own stuff. I think that my lawn is really wasted space at this point. I don't do anything with it other than let my dog use it as a bathroom. Why not save money and live healthier by growing my own food?