PDA

View Full Version : Don't advertise cut scenes

Xyvol
09-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Usually when I see a game commercial on TV, it's nothing but a collage of cut scenes from the game. I guess this is to be expected with this generation's focus on graphics, but I don't like it. I expect that the cut scenes are going to be beautifully rendered pieces of digital animation. What I want to know is what it the gameplay is like? Showing a little bit more of the game being played is a bigger selling point to me, since that will be what I spend most of my time looking at.
Also, live action representations of a game may be fun, especially since I love cosplay, but has the same concerns. It doesn't do anything to show the product. I guess it's just all hype.

Thoughts?

CJC
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
I hate when a video game advertisement references something that ISN'T ACTUALLY IN THE GAME. I've seen this a lot with the cut-scene model of audience baiting... they reference a scene that was inevitably cut from the game.

The worst part is when they do this intentionally. The first Dragon Age is a good example; the ad gave unrealistic impressions about the game-play AND the cut-scenes. When I actually got the game, I was severely disappointed because of the expectations that advertisement had given me. It took me several years before I actually gave it a chance (and I'm glad I did), which to me says volumes about how damaging an ad can be.

DarkDragon
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I hate when a video game advertisement references something that ISN'T ACTUALLY IN THE GAME. I've seen this a lot with the cut-scene model of audience baiting... they reference a scene that was inevitably cut from the game.

The worst part is when they do this intentionally. The first Dragon Age is a good example; the ad gave unrealistic impressions about the game-play AND the cut-scenes. When I actually got the game, I was severely disappointed because of the expectations that advertisement had given me. It took me several years before I actually gave it a chance (and I'm glad I did), which to me says volumes about how damaging an ad can be.

Yes, this annoying tendency has been around forever. Reminds me of this Penny Arcade strip. (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12)

mrz84
09-30-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't pay attention to ads, because I know this is true.

Also, that is one of my fav Penny Arcade strips of all time.

MasterSwordUltima
10-01-2012, 05:07 AM
I refuse to not be quasi-obsessed with Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, even after acknowledging this fallacy as true.

ShadowTiger
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM
If anyone's ever seen the box for Ultima 7 Serpent Isle, the back of it is woefully inaccurate. The second screenshot (http://www.ultima-origins.com/ultima72/u72back.jpg) is a mock-up of sprites from the game, and the scene appears nowhere in the actual game. Hard to get more false than that. :shrug:

Xyvol
10-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I know movie trailers will sometimes have scenes that don't appear in the movie, because it is made before the final cut of the film. I wonder if that's what happened here?

The Satellite
10-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Could be worse:

cjpHzLYHkwA

(I pretty much agree with you all though.)

Brasel
10-02-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't feel like TV commercials really matter. If they show cut scenes, or live action stuff, most gamers know better. For a lot of anticipated games, gamers already know when they're coming out. It's almost just a hype machine, getting you pumped for the release.

Xyvol
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Now see, I thought about that. For most franchises, anyone who is a fan of the games is going to be expecting the release and know when it is. They probably already have it pre-ordered. Heck, even if they don't all they need is the name. So then commercials are just shotgun marketing directed at anyone else to bring try to bring new players. If that new player is me, I want to see some content.

But yeah, I guess it is pretty much hype. For example you keep hearing your friends or co-workers talking about "Game X," then see this awesome commercial on tv for it so you go buy it. But then isn't that mostly Word-of-mouth?

I've never been one to pay much attention to commercials. I have never gone "oh that commercial was funny, I'm gonna go by a new washing machine right now!"
And when I DO need a new washing machine, I'm gonna go to the store and compare models and pick the one that's right for me regardless of what I saw on tv.
I guess I'm just not anyone's target market.

BTW, that LttP video is awesome!

Brasel
10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't really think commercials in general do all that great of a job convincing you to buy their product. Unless it's something innovative and new, its mainly just maintenance marketing. Bud Light doesn't need to advertise to get more people to drink their beer. Those people already drink Bud Light.

Revfan9
10-24-2012, 06:59 AM
It's funny, the most likely thing to get me to want to try a new game I've never heard of before? If I see a feature on Gamasutra where one of the developers talks about it, and I think what the piece has some good insights on game design in general. Trailers and commercials normally turn me off rather than get me interested. Then again, I'm a freak.