PDA

View Full Version : Different Quest Style

sps999
09-26-2012, 08:36 PM
I've been working on a quest recently, and I've been wanting to make a quest using and actual Zelda tileset. In the past I've been using a Metroid tileset, since I try my best to avoid a run-of-the-mill Zelda quest. I hopre to make my quest unique, but I still wanted to make a quest that featured a Zelda Tileset and theme.

In order to do this, I started working on a quest that involves never getting the sword, and various points in the game which require you to choose from a set of Equipment Items, and you will not be able to get the other items you did not take. For example, the very first shop in the game is closing down, and only has time to sell one last item. The player can only have 20 Rupees at this point, given to him by a man asking Link to buy him a Fish (Bait). Link can then complete the quest and buy the Fish, or the player can give into his desire for better firepower and buy either a Bomb Bag, or the Candle (Blue Candle but set to Multi-use).

I enjoyed the way this was playing out. By having multiple different paths through the first cave, consisting of unlocking doors with the key given to you from the guy who wanted the fish, puzzles that require you to light multiple torches, or bomb walls leading to hidden rooms, it was nice to see how different the same level was, but differing by the item the player picked.

The theme of picking different items would continue throughout the game, but I have since run into a little bit of a quest designing halt. As the player continues through the quest, I cannot decide if they should get new items based on the first item that they picked. For example, having the Magic Wand only be reachable by burning down a bush with the Candle. The other alternative would be to continue giving the player situations where they have to pick more items to complete the quest. For example, the player is given the choice to pick if he/she wants the Magic Wand, the Bow and Arrow, or the Hammer, regardless of the first item that was chosen.

I would appreciate any input regarding the two types of gameplay I have planned for the quest. Whether to have the game go the first way mentioned, the second way, or a mix of the two.

I have a short demo avaliable here: http://garyshood.com/steven/ZC2.11/HeroOfDestiny.qst

It should be playable on the most recent version, as it was built using the 2.5 RC3. Edit: There is not too much to the quest demo by the way, just the first town, cave, mini-boss, and an abrupt ending.

SUCCESSOR
10-01-2012, 04:14 AM
The idea is very exciting and would add a lot of replay value to a quest if done well. i haven't tried the demo but I will when I get the chance. About your question I believe it would make a quest more dynamic to have multiple choices throughout but it seems to me it would also make the quest a lot harder to make. There is always a potential to frustrate the player. Whatever you decide keep us updated. I know I am interested in this idea.

DarthLink
10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
It would sure add a lot of replay value to have multiple item choices. And even if that does make the quest a lot harder to make, it could be nice if done well, to have at least one selection depend on which item was previously chosen. You could have different paths in some dungeons, where the player can only take one of these paths depending on what item he picked in a previous maze, and the like. I would be curious to try that quest, I'll check out your demo later on for sure!