PDA

View Full Version : Worst Gaming Moment

ctrl-alt-delete
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
1. When most if not all of my NES games were stolen, including the Legend of Zelda.

2. I had a third party controller for SNES that I LOVED. It was clear plastic, so you could see the internal components. It also fit my hands way better than the smaller FPCs. My little sister was being a bitch and decided to try to tear the controller from my hands by pulling the cord. Tore the wires from the contacts. Unfortunately, I was too young to know about soldering and my mom and dad apparently didn't know about it either. My mom tried to superglue the cords back. -_-'

3. When a bunch of my Gamecube and Wii games got stolen. Can't remember everything, but Tales of Symphonia (Which I played for all of five minutes) was a major one. Thank God for piracy. That game is near the top of my list.

mrz84
09-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Played to the end of Final Fantasy 7 and a bunch of other sweet PS1 games about a decade ago, when the next day, expecting to kick Sephy-kun's ass all over the place, I find that somebody had stolen my memory card. JUST. THE FREAKING. MEMORY CARD. Maxed stats. All materia and equipment. Every side-quest complete. Ready to rape Sehpy. Gone. Needless to say, I was about to drop an f-bomb on somebody. Never found out who did it, but that would have to be one of my personal worst gaming moments. And its not that O'm a huge fan ff7 (I prefer 6 over it really), its just that all that effort on that game (and all the others too) gone like the drop of a hat.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Played to the end of Final Fantasy 7 and a bunch of other sweet PS1 games about a decade ago, when the next day, expecting to kick Sephy-kun's ass all over the place, I find that somebody had stolen my memory card. JUST. THE FREAKING. MEMORY CARD. Maxed stats. All materia and equipment. Every side-quest complete. Ready to rape Sehpy. Gone. Needless to say, I was about to drop an f-bomb on somebody. Never found out who did it, but that would have to be one of my personal worst gaming moments. And its not that O'm a huge fan ff7 (I prefer 6 over it really), its just that all that effort on that game (and all the others too) gone like the drop of a hat.

Yeah, my little sister used to delete my save files too. :(

CJC
09-23-2012, 12:36 AM
When our first playstation decided to develop an evil sentience and began EATING MEMORY CARDS. Seriously. If a memory card was inserted in the system and then the system turned on, it wiped the card clean. We lost a lot of save data. And had to purchase a new playstation.

...Bad times.

Aliem
09-23-2012, 06:21 AM
I was on my first playthrough of Final Fantasy X. I had just finished the blitzball tournament, and had started on the Mi'ihen highroad, when I decided to save the game. At this point, I was about six hours in. The PS2 was exceptionally close to my bed, where I sat to play games back in the days when men were men. I hovered my thumb above the power button, to quickly shut off the system when the game was done saving. Though this particular day, I accidentally bumped the button before the game was done saving. The game file was corrupted, and I was forced to start over.

Also, I once bought Vice City Stories. That might be worse than corrupted save data.

King Aquamentus
09-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't remember the exact what or how, but around 1991 or 92, the AC adapter to our NES just went..... ballistic.

At the time, we didn't know we could just get another one, and so considered our NES "busted". This meant that at first all we had was the GameBoy until our dad got us an SNES. I still really missed my NES games a lot.

It wasn't until 1998 or 1999 when I was discussing it with an employee in a Funcoland and he told me I can easily fix that with a new AC adapter. So, I told mom and she went out and bought not only the adapter, but a copy of Zelda 1 (!!!!!) I was so happy

vegeta1215
09-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I had gotten all the way to Turtle Rock in A Link to the Past back in the mid 90s, and my brother played my game and wound up over-writing my save. It sucked, and I was not happy, but I eventually played it again and beat it.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Turtle Rock...man, I gotta replay TLOZ and ALttP.

Shadowblazer
09-23-2012, 09:30 PM
My worst moment was probably about twenty years ago, when I spent like an hour one day trying to get my original NES to recognize a beautiful golden Legend of Zelda cartridge, including the tried and true methods of blowing on the cart, blowing into the NES itself and using foreign objects jammed into the NES in order to force to cart to make a connection. When I finally got the game to work and made it to the character select screen, everything was blank... :(

Of course that led to one of my best gaming moments, which was spending an entire day playing through a game that I had loved as a kid but hadn't touched in years. If the saves hadn't all been erased I probably would have just played it for a few minutes and then moved on to something else.

CJC
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
My worst moment was probably about twenty years ago, when I spent like an hour one day trying to get my original NES to recognize a beautiful golden Legend of Zelda cartridge, including the tried and true methods of blowing on the cart, blowing into the NES itself and using foreign objects jammed into the NES in order to force to cart to make a connection. When I finally got the game to work and made it to the character select screen, everything was blank... :(

We didn't own the NES until after our SNES, so the first time I played the original Zelda (a used copy we bought for cheap), it wouldn't run. I cleaned the card with an isopropyl-soaked cotton swab, which allowed the system to read the cartridge, but... the battery was expired. So every time I played, it had to be from the beginning. Ironically, this was part of the web of events that led me to AGN.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
We didn't own the NES until after our SNES, so the first time I played the original Zelda (a used copy we bought for cheap), it wouldn't run. I cleaned the card with an isopropyl-soaked cotton swab, which allowed the system to read the cartridge, but... the battery was expired. So every time I played, it had to be from the beginning. Ironically, this was part of the web of events that led me to AGN.

Repurchasing The Legend of Zelda a few years after having it and several other NES games stolen. It is what led me to AGN. (The battery in the cart was dead, so no save file. Led me to google Zelda Clone.)

:) Alcohol on cotton swabs was the way to go. Never failed for me. Unfortunately, one time my older brother decided to be a fucking moron and clean the connectors inside the console with alcohol too. He didn't let it dry fast enough and it totally fried it. It never stopped smelling like...electricity.

Shadowblazer
09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I wish somebody had told me about alcohol to clean the connectors back when I was a kid. We just blew on the damn things, which I'm pretty sure made it worse ;)

Oh and then of course after blowing on the cartridge for a good ten minutes didn't work you'd just slam it into the NES as hard as you could, which would bend the pins inside the system and contribute toward ruining the whole thing for good. Ah, good times...

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I wish somebody had told me about alcohol to clean the connectors back when I was a kid. We just blew on the damn things, which I'm pretty sure made it worse ;)

Oh and then of course after blowing on the cartridge for a good ten minutes didn't work you'd just slam it into the NES as hard as you could, which would bend the pins inside the system and contribute toward ruining the whole thing for good. Ah, good times...

I'd take the SNES over every console since any day...

Off topic:

Post here. (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94775-What-s-going-on-in-Your-Life)

Brasel
09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
The worst experience didn't necessarily happen to me, but I caused it. My dad was playing the original Legend of Zelda and was pretty far into the game. I was horsing around and tripped over the controller cable. The NES fell to the floor and shut off. When he turned the game back on, all the save files had been erased. This was well before anyone had any idea how to do anything in the game, so it took a long time to complete...unlike now when I can run through the first quest in a few short hours.

bigjoe
09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Beating the Jacquio in Ninja Gaiden, only to discover that there was another boss afterwards. Almost beat this big weird thing, but died and got sent ALL THE WAY BACK. Was fed up and the rent time was almost over, so never got to see the ending until the time of emulation.

Brasel
09-24-2012, 11:03 PM
^ Reminds me of Super Ghouls and Ghosts...had to play the whole damn game over. I didn't even attempt it. I just said "Screw it".

NewJourneysFire
09-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Beating the Jacquio in Ninja Gaiden, only to discover that there was another boss afterwards. Almost beat this big weird thing, but died and got sent ALL THE WAY BACK. Was fed up and the rent time was almost over, so never got to see the ending until the time of emulation.

Haha! I agree, that would suck.

My perfect pokemon team only got the chance to obliterate few of the best teams my friends were proud of at the time, only to have the game spontaneously get erased not long after. So I never got the chance to fully enjoy my perfect team.

Perhaps it wasn't a coincidence. Perhaps it was deliberate sabatogh.

Either way, it caused me to retire from playing Pokemon indefinitely.

Revfan9
10-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Metroid Prime 2.

First time I played the game, I got all the sky temple keys and was ready to face Emperor Ing. I save the game, come back a couple of days later to find my little sister had deleted my save file by mistake.

Know what? No big deal. I play through the damned thing all over again. Get halfway done with collecting the Sky Temple keys when my memory card goes bad. Corrupted save.

I give up for a while and just this year I made one more try with the Metroid Prime Trilogy version. Get all the Sky Temple keys again, then my SD card shits itself and corrupts my save. Again.

Why does the universe not allow me to finish this damned game D:

mrz84
10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Why does the universe not allow me to finish this damned game D:

Because Metroid Prime 3 was impatient from not being played and 'Corrupted' all your attempts to finish the previous game until you played it.

Sorry, had to make that joke.

Blanka
10-11-2013, 02:27 AM
One year for Christmas I got FF II (snes). Against advice I used a Game Genie on it to increase the damage Kain did with his "Jump Attack". One day he jumped up and never came down. I started a whole new quest and didn't use the Genie, only to have the same issue arise. Feeling a little naughty I decided to call Squaresoft and see if I could pull a swifty by complaining that their product was defective because at the time the local stores offered no exchange or refund without a receipt.

On top of that, due to the popularity and the Christmas season, they were out of stock. I didn't want to wait for more to come in to the store. I had no idea how long it would take to come in. I thought that going through Squaresoft would be faster. So I called them and didn't tell them that I used a Genie and the guy on the phone said to mail it in. I did so with a scathing letter expressing my disdain with their incompetence. I included my phone number as well.

About a week or so later I received a call from one of their reps. I was getting ready to play the role of the ticked off consumer when he cut me off and said: "I bet that you never thought that we'd be able to tell that you used a Genie on it." I was speechless. I was so not prepared for that one. He then said that they were sorry and cannot help because I used a Genie which is a product that they don't support. What a waste of time. I got so owned by them. Squaresoft 1 Me 0 lol

CJC
10-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Remembered another one: I hit the hard-coded limit on days in the first Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (for the GBA), so the game would freeze every time I tried to move to another location. I ended up losing all of my hard-trained characters (that I had ground up to level 50 with a Lord of Toads trick).

Nightmare
10-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Probably my loss to Drew in Soul Calibur II: He wasn't a competitive player and that one stuck with me for too long. Probably the worst loss of my playing career.

-James

Anarchy_Balsac
10-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I'd say the entirety of Mass Effect 3, although it's mostly because it was hyped and foreshadowed as something that it wasn't. There's a difference between taking back Earth, and running away from the enemy then pressing an off switch.

Aliem
10-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd say the entirety of Mass Effect 3, although it's mostly because it was hyped and foreshadowed as something that it wasn't. There's a difference between taking back Earth, and running away from the enemy then pressing an off switch.

I never got into Mass Effect, but my old roommate was nuts for the games. The way he looked at part 3 was, the entire game was the ending to the series. He's one of the few people I've met that wasn't disappointed. He insisted that the three options were the only possible outcomes.

Anarchy_Balsac
10-12-2013, 05:55 PM
I never got into Mass Effect, but my old roommate was nuts for the games. The way he looked at part 3 was, the entire game was the ending to the series. He's one of the few people I've met that wasn't disappointed. He insisted that the three options were the only possible outcomes.

He's talking about the ending though, I'm talking about the entire game. I've played many games with bad endings before, but if the game itself was good enough, it would never bother me too much.

Aliem
10-12-2013, 06:42 PM
He's talking about the ending though, I'm talking about the entire game. I've played many games with bad endings before, but if the game itself was good enough, it would never bother me too much.
No, sorry if I wasn't clear, he was talking about the entire game too.

ShadowTiger
10-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Probably my loss to Drew in Soul Calibur II: He wasn't a competitive player and that one stuck with me for too long. Probably the worst loss of my playing career.

-James

I've had losses like that in Smash Bros. I've won tournaments, so a defeat to a Pikachu spamming strategic Thunder attacks and generally buttonmashing is just horrible to think of.

Majora
10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Today: Fiddling with TEdit (terraria map editor) to fine-tune my sky castle and avoid doing all the tedious/monotonous shite manually (i.e. laying a bajillion wall tiles manually). Accidentally the contents of all my chests. But I can just edit chests to loosely rebuild all the stuff I had. It's only shitty because it's tedious to do. Not nearly as tedious as getting all that stuff back manually though.

Ventus
10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Having my battery die on my Gold Zelda 2 cartridge. Was playing through it and made it the third palace and Decided to save because I've been playing all day...
So when I started it back up just to find that my save file was not saved. even though I saved it.

Man that sucked badly... Well anyways Its not the worst I guess?

What about this then back when Paper Mario came out I was playing and I was pretty far in the game but for some reason my file got deleted some how...
The game still held the save files just fine but some reason my file would just get deleted out of the blue... I thought it was my mother or brother or something but I was playing it saved it and quite and started it back to see the file was gone again... I'm guessing It was a bug in the game or a bad cartridge.

That cartridge still does it to this day and I don't know why. :\

Jirin
10-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Freya, the last secret boss of Star Ocean 3.

For people not familiar with the boss, she basically blankets the screen with an attack that kills you in one hit every few seconds. There is a way to survive her, but it basically involves fusing eight warrior boots onto versions of the final weapons that got completely uncursed without getting any +1000s on them to make your defense ridiculous. This process involves spending hours and hours futzing with the game's horrible crafting system and a lot of resetting, so I wasn't going to do that.

Instead, I had this strategy. Leave Sophia on manual control, standing in the corner. Use one of those items that makes you invincible but unable to inflict damage for 20 seconds on Cliff and throw him at Freya, then nuke Freya from a distance with energy blast.

This strategy was very effective, as Sophia was there to revive anyone who died and stayed out of danger. But Freya has 20 million HP so she takes a long time to kill. I worked this strategy for a little over an hour. Then, for a split second I accidentally took Sophia off manual mode. In this split second, she chose to do a physical attack. Now, in this particular game, when you attack, that action can't be cancelled until either the action completes or you get hit. In this split second, Maria and Cliff were also right in the middle of attacks. So all three of them rushed Freya at the same time, I had no ability to control any of them, and I died.

I'm a big fan of the Tales and Star Ocean series but CRAP is it irritating to deal with the horrible ally AI and stuff like that.

My major problem with Mass Effect 3 isn't the ending so much as the fact that your actions in previous games had no impact on the story whatsoever.