PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in Your Life?

CJC
09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Conversation building exercise! Talk about what you've done in the past week.

I published a new expansion to my role-playing game. And then filed for copyright on it. And then made a kindle conversion of it. ...and that was my life last week. Boring, huh?

Okay, who's next?

King Aquamentus
09-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Nothing.

I've been out of college two years, living with my folks, and still in the temp service industry at age 26.
someone deliver me please

Tim
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I had a bottle of whiskey and stared at tits this weekend.

I need a hobby.

mrz84
09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I work at a historic, haunted hotel. That's about the the biggest thing in my life right now.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I work at a historic, haunted hotel. That's about the the biggest thing in my life right now.

So now it's officially your job to create a new topic about ghost experiences and share some.

Din
09-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Working on making levels for a Mario collaboration on another forum I head to. So far, it's going pretty well, but nothing else is really happening at the moment.

CJC
09-19-2012, 08:51 PM
...I didn't mean for this thread to be such a downer. Let's try to turn it around.

King Aquamentus
Many people go to college for the wrong reasons. It is, in no small way, the fault of college advertisement, which pushes the notion that education will result in a more lucrative profession. This is not the case. College is about personal enrichment. If that enrichment happens to prime you for a particular profession, more power to you, but I believe college is more about expanding your knowledge than landing a job.
Living with your parents should not be a source of shame. If you're still at home, there's obviously something your presence does to make the lives of your parents better, just like their home makes your life better (by saving you from bleeding funds on another lodging or being homeless). That's what family is about.
I live at home too. My father has multiple sclerosis and the three of us each pitch in to keep the household running. It gives me a chance to be the breadwinner for my father's sake, because he worked himself sick when we were children. And we're happy.
So try to be happy too. Because you have a family you can lean on in rough times, and that is a gift.

Magi_Hero
Please tell me you at least shared it with a friend. While drinking may not be my thing (It literally can't be, as I would die of liver failure), it definitely shouldn't be a solitary activity.
And if you need a hobby, turn back to Zelda Classic. It's a black hole for free time.

mrz
Three words: Tell us more

Din
What kind of levels are you building? The easy kind you'd find in the first world? Pipe mazes? Heavy enemy nightmares like in the last world?

Brasel
09-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I bought an iPhone this weekend. That was pretty cool.\

I reenlisted in the Army reserves. I love punishment like that, I guess. I'm currently working on an online class that will eventually get me to an Army school so I can get promoted to Staff Sergeant.
I'm doing well in the 4 classes I'm taking this semester. They're all pretty business/CMIS oriented. I'm taking Marketing 300, CMIS 310: Hardware and Software, CMIS 342: Business Computer Applications, and Business 330: Business Communication.
My teammate at work quit and found another job, so I've had to step up and take on a lot more work. It's challenging, but I love my job. I'm a software support tech for a small IT company that creates software for Public Safety operations.
My band has also been busier lately. We're finally getting back into the groove of regular practice, and we should have a show scheduled soon.

All in all, my life is busy and stressful, but I'm pretty happy with it.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I bought an iPhone this weekend. That was pretty cool.\

I reenlisted in the Army reserves. I love punishment like that, I guess. I'm currently working on an online class that will eventually get me to an Army school so I can get promoted to Staff Sergeant.
I'm doing well in the 4 classes I'm taking this semester. They're all pretty business/CMIS oriented. I'm taking Marketing 300, CMIS 310: Hardware and Software, CMIS 342: Business Computer Applications, and Business 330: Business Communication.
My teammate at work quit and found another job, so I've had to step up and take on a lot more work. It's challenging, but I love my job. I'm a software support tech for a small IT company that creates software for Public Safety operations.
My band has also been busier lately. We're finally getting back into the groove of regular practice, and we should have a show scheduled soon.

All in all, my life is busy and stressful, but I'm pretty happy with it.

For your sake, I hope Obama gets reelected. :-p

Out of all of AGN's members, you are top five in ones I would want to meet...which gives me an idea for a new topic, dammit.

King Aquamentus
09-19-2012, 10:56 PM
????

Uh, it doesn't really have anythign to do with what I learned in college. Pretty sure of that.

Also, CJC I apologize: I hadn't realized at the time that mine was the first reply. Tastefully I would have posted it later.

mrz84
09-20-2012, 12:34 AM
mrz
Three words: Tell us more

I'll do better and make a thread like ctrl-alt-delete suggested...in the morning. I just got back from work and its late.

Glenn the Great
09-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Many people go to college for the wrong reasons. It is, in no small way, the fault of college advertisement, which pushes the notion that education will result in a more lucrative profession. This is not the case. College is about personal enrichment. If that enrichment happens to prime you for a particular profession, more power to you, but I believe college is more about expanding your knowledge than landing a job.

I categorically disagree with this statement.

If I ever have children I will not have been making sacrifices since before they were even born to save away money just to be able to send them away for four years to find their "personal enrichment".
Fuck no!! That hard-earned money of mine is a serious investment in the future earning potential of my family members, for their own good and possibly even mine forbidding I find myself fallen upon hard times in old age.

If you want to expand your knowledge, there's the Internet, I think you know how to use it. Many of us find our "personal enrichment" there too!
If instead you are like many of today's college students and your idea of "personal enrichment" is found at the bottom of a bottle while surrounded by a few dozen noisy jackasses, you don't need college for that. Get a job!

CJC
09-20-2012, 01:30 AM

If I ever have children I will not have been making sacrifices since before they were even born to save away money just to be able to send them away for four years to find their "personal enrichment".
Fuck no!! That hard-earned money of mine is a serious investment in the future earning potential of my family members, for their own good and possibly even mine forbidding I find myself fallen upon hard times in old age.

If you want to expand your knowledge, there's the Internet, I think you know how to use it. Many of us find our "personal enrichment" there too!
If instead you are like many of today's college students and your idea of "personal enrichment" is found at the bottom of a bottle while surrounded by a few dozen noisy jackasses, you don't need college for that. Get a job!
Never drank a drop. Didn't go to parties either. I studied hard. But I took classes that were interesting for me, not classes I could stuff into a job interview. Because employers don't care. They look at a bachelor's in Marine Biology the same way they look at a bachelor's in Business. Believe me that this is true, because I've encountered people in high banking positions with the former degree instead of the latter.

The lie comes from colleges claiming you need a particular type of degree to get into a particular profession. There are exceptions, of course, those being technical certifications and the doctoral expanses, but 90% of jobs only consider whether you've finished a degree, not what you learned while you were studying.

Tim
09-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Magi_Hero
Please tell me you at least shared it with a friend. While drinking may not be my thing (It literally can't be, as I would die of liver failure), it definitely shouldn't be a solitary activity.
And if you need a hobby, turn back to Zelda Classic. It's a black hole for free time.

i spend my weekend with my friends that I stay with on the weekend. This is the usual plan to see the depresssiom of 'one weekend' where they don't get laid...

SUCCESSOR
09-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Picked up my guitar again after a few weeks out of practice, went to the Albuquerque State Fair which wasn't as big as I remember from almost a decade ago and small after going to Puyallup Fair last year, did quite a bit of work on a ZScript I have been working on. Pretty mellow week.

Glenn the Great
09-20-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm about to go back to work and try to play catch-up in a few minutes after a flu-filled week of vomiting and laying around.

erm2003
09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Surviving. The first month back at work for me is always really busy with meetings, starting up classes, getting to know my students, and a lot of other events as well. I am glad it's almost the weekend so I can relax a little especially since I am feeling better. For weeks I have had some severe pain that I have been pushing myself through and it has finally subsided quite a bit to the point where I only have issues in the middle of the night if I sleep for too long in one position. It's been a good start for me though, just a busy one.

Brasel
09-20-2012, 05:36 PM

The personal enrichment found in college is gaining the ability to deal with massive amounts of bullshit. This is why companies don't care what the degree is, just that you have it. The more you paid for your degree, the more bullshit you put up with. Companies like to know that a person can handle a lot of different tasks at one time, and that's why its so valued. There are some skills that college will teach you for the job market, but most is OJT. Unfortunately, in a lot of areas, you can't get a decent job without that stupid piece of paper. I'm getting my degree because I want to make more money. I already have 8-9 years of experience in my field, and regularly get calls from employers looking for my services. I'd rather get that piece of paper so I can increase my ceiling later in life.

Din
09-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Din
What kind of levels are you building? The easy kind you'd find in the first world? Pipe mazes? Heavy enemy nightmares like in the last world?

Heavy enemy nightmares like in the last world. :P Well, more like chainsaw and lava nightmares, but you get the idea. I'll post up a video of it when I'm finished (which, barring homework striking me down, should be around this weekend).

King Aquamentus
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Glenn and CJC are both right to certain extents, I think.

People do go there to learn a lot of things that the internet could teach them all the same, but in a busy environment reflecting one which most of its participants just graduated from and are intimately familiar with, and, if used properly, has less distractions than simply looking something up online (College??? No distractions??? I did say "if used properly" right?)

Is the cost bullshit? Definitely. But keep in mind also that most people don't have to go to harvard to get their degree. You might not even have to travel or move.

gdorf
09-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Getting ready to attend the NYC Maker Faire next weekend with my company. Lots of prep work to get everything ready to ship as well as getting some extra work done in anticipation of being gone.

Shadowblazer
09-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Work, video games (currently Diablo III, Mario Kart Wii or random flash games on the web, depending on my mood) and sleep. Occasionally I go out and try to take some pictures but since that requires leaving the comfort of the internet and going out into the world, it's pretty rare.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Where you working nowadays? Gotta install some more Arcade games over the next few days too...

Shadowblazer
09-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Same place as always, a tiny little university in the middle of nowhere (Western North Carolina) doing various IT-type system engineery things (technically I'm the SharePoint administrator but that's just on paper).

The Desperado
09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
I have been writing and design direct mail pieces for 12 hours a day for the past week. Sometimes I love election season, sometimes I hate it.

NewJourneysFire
09-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Been mostly playing various puzzle games, anything challenging. Taking care of my infant child, and working on SoW2. Invited some girl over I met online, than invited 2 friends, we mostly drank by the dock, played xbox, and eat pizza. Might be getting Internet soon.

Tim
09-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Went to the dentist yesterday and now the wisdom tooht they scraped around is bothering me. I think they opened up the gum a little when cleaning and now the tooth wants to continue his journey fully into the cavern that is my gullet.

Ventus
09-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Well for the time being the only thing that's been going on in my life is Working on my computer and modding my case. Currently thinking of a way to make a Window on the side of my case and put some Blue led strips in there for eye candy :P

LemonCat
09-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Student, three jobs.

Ahhhhhh my head.

I also live with cats now so that's neat.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Went to the dentist yesterday and now the wisdom tooht they scraped around is bothering me. I think they opened up the gum a little when cleaning and now the tooth wants to continue his journey fully into the cavern that is my gullet.

I got mine out a few months ago. My wife is supposed to be getting hers out at the beginning of next year, but they're starting to break through too. Sucks because had they stayed in it would go against our medical which they give us so much free money for every year.

Tim
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I had gotten two molars pulled out since they were severely decayed. It made room for the wisdom teeth on top to grow in correctly. It's rare to get lucky like that when you don't take care of your teeth...

mrz84
09-27-2012, 12:55 PM
A coworker is moving and selling a huge tv of theirs so they can buy a new one. They're offered me it for $150 if nobody else buys it for $300 by tomorrow. It'll be nice because I do need a new tv, and this is a great deal really. Now I just need to hopre nobody else buys it.

Blanka
10-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Recently, my folks came back after spending a few hours going around looking at yard sales. They were aware that I own a Gamecube and bought me one. They struck gold! The old man came in and handed me a game they bought for $7.00. Low and behold it was the Zelda 4 in 1 Collector's Edition! It says on the game case "Not For Resale". I think that I must have a giant horseshoe up my ass! lol Way to go old man!