PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Gaming Moment (challenge accepted)

Cronic
09-18-2012, 02:47 AM
This is a tough one so I'll likely post randomly as I remember things, but what comes to mind atm is passing the torture scene in Sons of Liberty on extreme, and getting my Bigboss rank (hardest of the series no question)

Another that comes to mind is reaching 3rd worldwide in Bionic Commando rearmed for the PSN. I haven't played it in a while, and have dipped to #7, but for an old white guy that ain't bad ;)

Honorable mention for beating TMNT nes ....Sadly that was just 5 years ago, but felt damn good lol

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2012, 03:11 AM
The few that immediately come to mind:

Beating Super Mario Bros 3 when I was 3 years old.

Repurchasing The Legend of Zelda a few years after having it and several other NES games stolen. It is what led me to AGN. (The battery in the cart was dead, so no save file. Led me to google Zelda Clone.)

When my older brother gave me his SNES games, most notably ALttP, Actraisers, and FF2/4(Which is probably my favorite game of all time.). (There were others, but I can't remember them right now...)

The day I purchased OoT from a friend for $20 after getting my N64 on my birthday.

Gleeok
09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Tough one. I'm gonna have to go with the NES games Contra(no secret Konami code), Lifeforce, Punch Out, and Final Fantasy 1. Granted I was a kid at the time, but beating (or just playing) those games stick out as memorable to me. :)

Another memorable game for me was the Wizardry 1 NES port, only because it took me 6 or so years (off and on) to beat!!! -(teleporting into walls, dying on B5, ambushed on B6 by dragons, final boss casts tiltowait. ugh...) HARDEST.NES.RPG.EVER.

The few that immediately come to mind:
Beating Super Mario Bros 3 when I was 3 years old.
lol wut? ..Seriously?? There's no way a 3-year-old could beat LV8 let alone find two whistle warps first.

King Aquamentus
09-18-2012, 08:47 AM
no moment really crowns another for me. I'm a bit tied.

Super Metroid's Final Battle
The day back in 2010 that I systematically beat Zelda II without a candle, did a swordless second quest run of Zelda 1, beat Mike Tyson in Punch-Out, and for shits and giggles landed the plane in top gun a few times.
Following the Chrono Trigger DS thread on Chrono Compendium forums and seeing the leaked screenshot of the new ending:
-=SPOILER=-

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
lol wut? ..Seriously?? There's no way a 3-year-old could beat LV8 let alone find two whistle warps first.

I swear upon all that is good and holy. Granted, all of the secrets were revealed to me from watching my older brothers and sisters playing it. But still, that accomplishment for a three year old is pretty awesome.

mrz84
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
A few, but some are weird (even for me) so fair warning.

Beating Final Fantasy 1 on the NES (true fact: I initially rented the game, because I confused it for Faxanadu, but had forgotten the title. In my defense, they both have similar art on the front of the game ie: a tree floating in against a black background)

Beating Tail Spin on the NES (that game is a freaking pain in the ass if you don't know what you're doing!)

Beating the original Mega Man on the NES without cheats or using an emulator. That game is brutal!

Beating Ocarina of Time in my sleep (This is a true story! I was visiting my dad about 12 years ago and was up real late playing in Ganon's Castle and then fell asleep. I wake up and I'm at the end scene after beating Ganon and my dad is like "You just beat the game in your sleep! I sat here and watched you kick his ass!" I will say that my dad at this point had little ability to properly hold a controller, let alone an N64 controller, so I know he didn't beat it for me in my sleep for some unknown reason. Especially since at that point in time hed hadn't played a video game in almost a decade himself.)

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
A few, but some are weird (even for me) so fair warning.
Beating Ocarina of Time in my sleep (This is a true story! I was visiting my dad about 12 years ago and was up real late playing in Ganon's Castle and then fell asleep. I wake up and I'm at the end scene after beating Ganon and my dad is like "You just beat the game in your sleep! I sat here and watched you kick his ass!" I will say that my dad at this point had little ability to properly hold a controller, let alone an N64 controller, so I know he didn't beat it for me in my sleep for some unknown reason. Especially since at that point in time hed hadn't played a video game in almost a decade himself.)

Epic, and totally believable. I accomplish things in my sleep all the time, lol.

CJC
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Beating "Zombies Ate My Neighbors", from Level 1 to Credits, in one sitting (Well, that's really the only way you could beat that game).

I got it on the second try. It took four hours.

Brasel
09-20-2012, 11:18 PM

I believe it. In high school, I fell asleep while driving to school, and drove about half a mile before waking up again.

My best accomplishment was beating Super Mario Bros in under 10 minutes. I haven't been able to match it, though. I would also say that I'm pretty proud of the fact that I can beat Mega Man 2 on difficult without dying. Growing up, I didn't really play a lot of "hard" games like Contra or Gradius.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-20-2012, 11:48 PM
I believe it. In high school, I fell asleep while driving to school, and drove about half a mile before waking up again.

My best accomplishment was beating Super Mario Bros in under 10 minutes. I haven't been able to match it, though. I would also say that I'm pretty proud of the fact that I can beat Mega Man 2 on difficult without dying. Growing up, I didn't really play a lot of "hard" games like Contra or Gradius.

One time, I was driving to an out of town job site, which was an hour from where we met up. I woke up driving 80 down the highway with an 18 Wheeler in the lane right next to me. Scariest. Shit. Ever.

I've also woken up having sex about a thousand times. Lol.

Glenn the Great
09-21-2012, 01:35 AM
This is my most memorable gaming moment:

Game had only been out for a week, dozens of hours of coin searching after having beaten the main game, no guides, pre-Internet. I was 100% unprepared for what I was about to encounter.

I was determined to see this stage. I shat the proverbial bricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvv6NxOB29g

Aliem
09-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Not my greatest achievement, for sure, but the most memorable moment for me was getting the Master Sword for the first time in A Link to the Past. The music that played and seeing the pendents move while the screen flashed and Link pulls out the sword was pretty awesome the first time I saw it when I was seven.

Beating "Zombies Ate My Neighbors", from Level 1 to Credits, in one sitting (Well, that's really the only way you could beat that game).

I got it on the second try. It took four hours.
I've STILL not beaten that game.

Glenn the Great
09-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Not my greatest achievement, for sure, but the most memorable moment for me was getting the Master Sword for the first time in A Link to the Past. The music that played and seeing the pendents move while the screen flashed and Link pulls out the sword was pretty awesome the first time I saw it when I was seven.

I'll second that one. Actually what I remember even more, which is related because it happened on the same day, was when it finally dawned on me, after being stuck for maybe two weeks, how to use the Magic Mirror to get in the Tower of Hera.
It sucked just staring at the bottom rung of that pretty tower wondering how to get in and what was inside. I had just turned 8 years old (the game was my birthday present) and it was probably the first puzzle in a video game to seriously challenge me.

Chris Miller
09-21-2012, 07:58 AM
It was 1988, and I found Level 7 in the original Legend of Zelda, after several months of despair. None of my friends knew how. We had found every other level long ago except for that one. I also remember that day because we had really good pizza.

vegeta1215
09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I've had lots of good gaming memories, but I'd rather list some of the challenges I took on:

- Getting to Ganon with no sword in the 1st & 2nd quests in the original Legend of Zelda.
- Getting to Ganon with the wooden sword, no ring, and only 8 hearts in the original Legend of Zelda (this was a personal challenge of mine). I couldn't beat him with just 8 hearts though, cause it takes 16 hits to turn him red with the wooden sword and I kept dying, so I wound up getting the rest of the hearts and then coming back to beat him.
- Defeating Lavos with just Chrono on a New Game+ of Chrono Trigger (you get the Developer's Ending by doing this).
- Beating Ocarina of Time with only 3 hearts.
- Finishing all the challenges in Super Mario Bros Deluxe on GBC (ever defeat Bowser using fireballs in every world?).
- Beating all the missions in every difficulty in F-Zero GX. THIS IS THE TOUGHEST THING IN GAMING THAT I'VE EVER DONE.
- Unlocking and then beating level 9-1 in DKC Returns
- Unlocking and then beating the Land of the Livid Dead level in Rayman Origins (this level is grueling!)

I'm sure there are others I've done, but those are all I can think of right now. I attempted a Metroid Fusion 1% run - I got all the way to the Space Jump boss (some spider thing), and I think I beat him, but the SA-X killed me in the chase scene that followed.

I also thought about attempting a Majora's Mask 3-day run, but it would take a lot of planning and I haven't played the game in so long. btw, for that challenge you play through the mandatory 3 days and get the Ocarina of Time, and then you beat the game in the next 3 day cycle. So... you never use the Ocarina to go back to the 1st day at all. This is also called the 6-day challenge by some people.

King Aquamentus
09-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Faxanadu has a bright cream-colored background on the box art...

ShadowTiger
09-21-2012, 08:36 PM
It'll have spoilers in it.

Super Metroid: Just as King Aquamentus said, that stint at the very end of Super Metroid was fantastic. When you're basically beaten to a bloody pulp, with a single hit point left after a completely unavoidable beam of purified death hits you like ten thousand bricks, then your little Metroid kiddo comes in and sacrifices its life for you and gives you a weapon that hits Mother Brain back like the very same ton of bricks (Seriously, soooo satisfying to see her head crane back like that.) that was just the best thing to see. You can really feel the intensity of the situation.
Tales of Symphonia - Yep, it's quite the spoiler if you haven't played it, or if you haven't gotten a third of the way in yet.
-=SPOILER=-

Borderlands 2: Spoilers!-=SPOILER=-

Wind Waker - Final Battle. You've all played it already, so I won't put it in spoiler tags. You fight Ganondorf. With swords. On the Roof of a flooding palace underseas. With Zelda. The entire fight had a feeling of such epic scope because of all of that. I had a wonderful time there.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Wind Waker - Final Battle. You've all played it already, so I won't put it in spoiler tags. You fight Ganondorf. With swords. On the Roof of a flooding palace underseas. With Zelda. The entire fight had a feeling of such epic scope because of all of that. I had a wonderful time there.

My favorite game ending of all time.

mrz84
09-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Faxanadu has a bright cream-colored background on the box art...

My memory must be fuzzy then, but I haven't seen the box art for it forever.

Ventus
09-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Most memorable gaming moment? eh? I guess it would be when I beat Starfox right before school started in the morning, and One more when I managed Zombies ate my neighbors, without having to use the password system.

Brasel
09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a pretty memorable moment, now that I think about it. I remember the first playthrough of Final Fantasy III on the SNES, I stayed up all night during the school week playing it. My mom walked downstairs all ready for work at 6 AM and I was still up playing the game. I got in a lot of trouble. :)

ctrl-alt-delete
09-27-2012, 12:00 AM
I have a pretty memorable moment, now that I think about it. I remember the first playthrough of Final Fantasy III on the SNES, I stayed up all night during the school week playing it. My mom walked downstairs all ready for work at 6 AM and I was still up playing the game. I got in a lot of trouble. :)

Lol, my mom used to let me stay home 1 day less than maximum allowed since I did so well in school.

Most of those sick days were spent playing new games when they came out. :)

Aliem
09-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Most memorable gaming moment? eh? I guess it would be when I beat Starfox right before school started in the morning, and One more when I managed Zombies ate my neighbors, without having to use the password system.

Damnit, another person who's finished Zombies.... Do they have that on VC? I feel like I need to redeem my manhood.

CJC
09-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Damnit, another person who's finished Zombies.... Do they have that on VC? I feel like I need to redeem my manhood.

Yeah they do, but it's really hard to adapt to the GameCube controller layout for it. I don't have a classic controller, though, so maybe that's a better option.
Also note, even though you can stop playing in the middle of a level with the VC, it doesn't mean you should. Not for honor reasons or anything, but because you'll be totally unprepared to pick the game up again when you come back. My VC version is stalled out on level 13 for that very reason.

MasterSwordUltima
09-27-2012, 07:25 AM
I remember staying up all night with my step-brother plowing through the original Final Fantasy Tactics down in Ocean City, Maryland. We got up to and beat Ajora, and then realized that we had beaten the game!

The most memorable moment in gaming for me was probably seeing the words Big Boss scroll through the credits of MGS4, stopping in the middle of the screen, and then cutting to showing him walking over to Snake. That moment there, realizing that I get to see Big Boss as he was seen by Snake (not in MSX pixel format), and then the CQC-hug. Too many emotions. The story telling there was (and continues to be) amazing and inspiring.

Ventus
09-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Yeah I think they do have it on VC, But I would recommend try getting it a Emulator only if you can't find a real copy of the game. I haven't beaten the game for some time... I beat the game last when I was 8.
(Man I'm old...)