PDA

View Full Version : Cheats/Walkthroughs?

ctrl-alt-delete
09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm OCD, so I have to get 100% completion. If I absolutely CANNOT figure it out on my own, I'll look at a walkthrough. I've never used cheats though other than multiplayer games with friends. (Unlock every item, or something like that...Goldeneye for example.)

Do you use cheats/walkthroughs?

Beldaran
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I cheat and hack games ruthlessly, because I don't play them for the challenge. I mainly play them to enjoy the story, imaginative freedom, and artistic content.

The only games I play for challenge are old-school stuff like Pac-Man, Galaga, etc.

Glenn the Great
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
My policy is this: I play through the first time completely legit. I've only had to cheat on occasion to recover from a bug or unstick my character.

On repeated playthroughs, I'll tend to turn on the cheats that make the experience less frustrating. I'll usually turn on god mode and stop there. If there happen to be cheats that make the game fun in new and other ways, hell yeah I'll use 'em!

CJC
09-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I'll use a walkthrough on my FIRST run through a game. Once I've beaten a game the first time, I usually play legitimately.

I haven't used cheat machines since the PSX Gameshark that plugged into the back of the system.

Xyvol
09-17-2012, 06:31 AM
On newer games that I play for the first time, I play through without any help so I can experience the story. If I get stuck or have a difficulty then I will ususally work it out on my own. If I replay it later, then I usually go to the walkthrough to speed up the play time since I've already seen the story, and get anything I may have missed the first time. On older games that I play for the first time, I'll go to the walkthroughs much sooner if I get stuck somehwere.

mrz84
09-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Varies by game. Usually only for RPGs and other more strategic games do I use faqs, and usually only then to see if there is anything missable and how to get it with as few spoilers as possible. Cheats on the other hand I usually do for fun unless I'm forced to replay a game due to unforseen problems so I can get back to where I was.

Also, it says I don't have the ability to vote on the poll for some reason.

Tim
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't have permission to vote.

I usually use them when needed for translated games, like Square's many unreleased in the US games.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Me neither, I should have made note of that earlier. Something's screwed up. Looking into it, thanks.

Edit: Poll fixed, vote now!

ShadowTiger
09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I use walkthroughs to find 100% completion when there is an actual desirable award at stake. I use cheats to ease horrendously frustrating situations.

For example, I'm currently going through Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force II (Great FPS game. Worth a look.) and there are dozens of -very- difficult to find secrets in the game, which lets you collect little golden starships that unlocks certain bonuses if you get certain quantities of them. So I'm going for a 100% in those, because I actually get more game content if I do.

I'll use cheats if there is a useless grind that I can avoid, such as if grinding will only give me XP and no randomized weaponry. In Elite Force II, there's this one area of the game where you need to defend your warp core from invading ... well, invaders who beam in (Shields are down.) and plant explosives on the various panelings in Engineering to sabotage the ship from the inside. You have to run around and destroy the invaders while not hitting any of the panels, but you still have to hit the explosives they plant before they go off. You're being timed for all of this, and if the timer gets about 2/5 full, (It starts 1/2 full. O_O It's awful.) then it will continue to decrease on its own unless you can solve a very difficult and complex puzzle with your tricorder while still being timed. It's one of the hardest situations in the game, by far. So yes, I use noclip to speed my way around Engineering to pick off the invaders. It's almost impossible to do otherwise, because it's a circular room with the warp core between you and the other invaders that you didn't just see warp in.

mrz84
09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
For example, I'm currently going through Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force II (Great FPS game. Worth a look.) and there are dozens of -very- difficult to find secrets in the game, which lets you collect little golden starships that unlocks certain bonuses if you get certain quantities of them. So I'm going for a 100% in those, because I actually get more game content if I do.

What system is that game for? It seems interesting.

Ventus
09-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I don't like cheating on games I have not beaten yet. and with walk throughs I'll only use them on the first playthrough of said game ONLY If I get stump on what to do next.

But in general... If I beat the game then I'll cheat the hell of the game >.<.

Brasel
09-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I use walkthroughs pretty extensively. Even on games that I've played a million times. I'm not patient enough to figure things out on my own. The only time I will cheat is if the game has cheats built in. For example: the console on the PC versions of Elder Scrolls games or cheat codes in the old Warcraft games.

SpykStorm
09-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Usually, I try not to use walkthroughs unless I'm completely stuck on a game. However, if I'm aiming for 100% completion, then I'll end up using it quite a lot. I only used a walthrough one time in Skyward Sword.

I only use cheats if I'm playing a game like grand theft auto and feel the urge to cause havoc. When I was younger,though, I remember cheating quite a lot in games like SimCity, to get extra money.