PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 Announced

erm2003
09-12-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.imore.com/apple-announces-iphone-5

I am not really into Apple products (though I am soon to get an iPad for work which is a totally different subject), I was looking forward to hearing what changes they were making for the new iPhone. As expected it has a larger display, the phone overall is smaller and lighter, and they are finally entering the 4G world as well.

I have been pretty happy with my Android phone so I am most likely sticking with that but I am sure some of you here own an iPhone or are considering it. What do you think of the new announcement and are you planning on getting one?

Tim
09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I dont't like Apple. I have an iPad for work as well but I can't wait to get rid of it for a Surface RT...

iPhones 4S and certain iPads have 4G service already. This new iPhone will just be another wallet fattener for our friends at Apple.

DarkDragon
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Still have 1.5 years on my iPhone 4 contract, so I don't really care about the latest model for the near future...

Brasel
09-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I have been considering an iPhone the last several days. I need a smart phone. I'm the worst IT guy in the world because I have an old Windows Mobile 6.1 phone... I really need to get myself up to speed on the current mobile technology.

CJC
09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Meh, mobile tech is overrated. I've still got the same 'dumb phone' that I had in 2008, and it works fine. Then again, I believe phones are for phone calls.

Chris Miller
09-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Telephones in general annoy me. Far better to meet face-to-face.
I do have a cellphone in case of emergencies, but I doubt I make five calls a month on it.

Majora
09-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I'd honestly just get an android phone. ... if I could afford one. iphone is just a gimmick. But a smartphone in general is pretty useful. facebooking and angry birds notwithstanding. My previous smartphone was used as an internet access point on the go for my netbook. it was slow 3G but it was fine enough for simple things like IRC and light web browsing. and of course, it was a music player and camera all in one! Crazy I know :P

ctrl-alt-delete
09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I started with a 3G and have a 3GS. Getting the 5 for sure, probably preordering for my wife and myself tomorrow.

IMO, when jailbroken, they are superior to anything else on the market strictly due to the sheer scope of the app store.

Xyvol
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I hear they changed the connector and sim card, so now you need to buy all new stuff. (chargers, docks, ect..) The news is that the demand has exceeded the supply, so I hope you are one of the ones who gets one on launch day, and don't have to wait.
Myself, I bought a Droid X a year and a half ago, and have been pretty happy with it since. I like being able to plug it into my computer and swap files like a hard drive. I just changed my 16gb sd card out for a 32gb one, I've been filling it up with my music connection. That's another thing I like, I get to use Winamp on my phone.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
I hear they changed the connector and sim card, so now you need to buy all new stuff. (chargers, docks, ect..) The news is that the demand has exceeded the supply, so I hope you are one of the ones who gets one on launch day, and don't have to wait.
Myself, I bought a Droid X a year and a half ago, and have been pretty happy with it since. I like being able to plug it into my computer and swap files like a hard drive. I just changed my 16gb sd card out for a 32gb one, I've been filling it up with my music connection. That's another thing I like, I get to use Winamp on my phone.

Connecter's really irrelevant. I only have one dock(which can be converted if need be) but it has USB in also. To stream anything I just use my laptops HDMI out.

Still haven't preordered. Due to the complication of switching accounts, we're probably just going to camp out. It's not that important to me to get one on day 1 though...waited this long.

Brasel
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
I bought an iPhone 4S. I like it pretty well so far. Maybe I should've waited for a 5, but I'm impatient. I had the money.

I bought Zombies, Run! Today and ran the first mission. It's bad ass. If you are a runner, I suggest checking it out.

Bagel
09-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Got a 4S already, and it's great. I'm under a still-fairly-new contract regardless so I couldn't upgrade even if I wanted to. At least the 4S doesn't miss out on any software features from iOS 6 (which should be out Wednesday.)

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2012, 12:28 AM
I bought an iPhone 4S. I like it pretty well so far. Maybe I should've waited for a 5, but I'm impatient. I had the money.

I bought Zombies, Run! Today and ran the first mission. It's bad ass. If you are a runner, I suggest checking it out.

Was the price drop already applied?

Dude, Zombies, Run looks awesome! Thanks!

Brasel
09-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I got mine for $99. The price drop may or may not have been in place. If it wasn't, then I screwed myself. Oh well, it's not the first time I've done that.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, you got the discount. Awesome, you should jailbreak it and pirate everything. :-p

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Day 1. (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/22/the-iphone-5-already-jailbroken/)

In love with my 5, btw.

Aliem
09-23-2012, 06:31 AM
I've never had an iPhone. Not an apple hater, though I'm fond of saving money where I can. I don't pay attention to phone specs, since I use them for talking and texting almost exclusively, with the once-a-shift game of Sudoku to keep my mind firmly off work. Is this any better than the last one, or is it another "lolololool I'm an electronics company tricking you into paying double what you payed last year for what amounts to the same damn thing!"?

gdorf
09-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I have a year left on my contract, but I am seriously considering an iphone for my next phone purchase. I like my current HTC phone, but I think I'd benefit from having an iphone since I've recently purchased a few other apple products. I like the idea of having contacts synced between my MBP, ipad, and iphone.

SUCCESSOR
09-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Apple h4ht0r checking in. While I'll refrain from anti apple rant I must say this is hardly something exciting. Honestly it just seems like a typical minimal update apple puts up every year. I can understand ctrl-alt-delete upgrading from a 3GS but anyone with a 4 or 4S basically has the same phone. They just gave it a small bump up in resolution(welcome to widescreen world iFreaks) and processor speed. Both of which just compete with last years HighEnd Android specs. I also don't understand why anyone wants such a thin phone. I'd personally rather have a fatter phone with 2-4 more hours of battery life. I'd prefer to have a fat brick(AKA my old Touch Pro 2 with extended battery) than something thin with a meager battery life(AKA my OG EVO).

Honestly I got tired of mobile device specs. I used to be into the latest crap like a crazy person but now I am happy with my old ass Android. So I can see why Apple puts out these iBumps every year but honestly I could do without the annual iSheep craze. You don't see me going ape-shit over the EVO 4G LTE that makes my EVO look like a retard or the Galaxy Nexus which despite being Samsung born looks sexy as hell.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
For me, it's not about specs. It's about software.

I'm a Zelda, Mario, DK, etc. fan I buy a Wii.

Nobody can argue that the iOS store gets apps drastically faster than any of the other markets. Until something competes, I'll have an iPhone. But I would NEVER buy a Mac for the same reasons listed above.

erm2003
09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Apple h4ht0r checking in. While I'll refrain from anti apple rant I must say this is hardly something exciting. Honestly it just seems like a typical minimal update apple puts up every year. I can understand ctrl-alt-delete upgrading from a 3GS but anyone with a 4 or 4S basically has the same phone. They just gave it a small bump up in resolution(welcome to widescreen world iFreaks) and processor speed. Both of which just compete with last years HighEnd Android specs. I also don't understand why anyone wants such a thin phone. I'd personally rather have a fatter phone with 2-4 more hours of battery life. I'd prefer to have a fat brick(AKA my old Touch Pro 2 with extended battery) than something thin with a meager battery life(AKA my OG EVO).

Honestly I got tired of mobile device specs. I used to be into the latest crap like a crazy person but now I am happy with my old ass Android. So I can see why Apple puts out these iBumps every year but honestly I could do without the annual iSheep craze. You don't see me going ape-shit over the EVO 4G LTE that makes my EVO look like a retard or the Galaxy Nexus which despite being Samsung born looks sexy as hell.

in fairness, it is also the first iPhone to have 4G LTE access which is a pretty big deal. Honestly if you have a data plan and you live in an area with 4G (which Verizon has done a lot to expand over the past year or so) then you are really missing out without a 4G capable phone. It's almost a rip off to pay the same amount for data access and still be on the 3G network unless you don't have another option.

SUCCESSOR
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
That is a fair point. And a good reason to upgrade for people who may need it. But who would? Most people I know on Verizon and AT&T have pretty tight data caps and anything that isn't data heavy loads just fine on 3G. So is it really worth a brand new phone?

Shadowblazer
09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
...the Galaxy Nexus which despite being Samsung born looks sexy as hell.I upgraded from a Motorola Droid (original) to a Galaxy Nexus last December and it's my favorite piece of technology ever.

Well, aside from the fact that if I actually use it for any length of time, the battery dies. Still though, it is absolutely sexy and the ease of rooting it made me very happy. No Verizon bloatware for me! My die-hard Apple-loving coworkers are all "That thing is way too big!" and to that I respond "Yeah, that's she said!"

...okay, I don't really say that but I totally think it!

SUCCESSOR
09-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I would say that, but then again I have no shame or respect of common decency/sexual harassment laws. I have been drooling over the Nexus Galaxy since it was announced. I wish I was eligible for an upgrade. Does it support extended batteries?

Shadowblazer
09-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, but my understanding is that it doesn't offer much beyond the standard battery. Maybe like 15% more life. Still, the extended one doesn't make the phone significantly thicker so I should probably check it out. For the most part I don't run mine down to the point where I'd need it, but of course that's because I've trained myself to not use it too much during the day and plug it in whenever I get the opportunity.

EDIT: Hmm, turns out there is an extended battery from Mugen (http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/samsung/samsung-verizon-galaxy-nexus-sch-i515/mugen-power-3900mah-extended-battery-for-verizon-samsung-galaxy-nexus-sch-i515-with-battery-door.html) that increases the life pretty substantially, but it costs about a hundred bucks and makes the phone like twice as thick.

erm2003
09-23-2012, 10:33 PM
The battery issues with Android is one reason why I am going to look more closely at the Razor Maxx by Motorola. I am not up for an upgrade until February and by then the Razor Maxx HD will be out. Lots to consider.

Of course Samsung is also scheduled to unveil the Galaxy S4 in February as well. I will be reading up on these two quite a bit. I am hoping another Nexus phone is announced soon too.