PDA

View Full Version : Souls of Wisdom

NewJourneysFire
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Introduction

"In loving memory of Elise, previous owner of zeldaclassicmessageforum.com"

The Original Souls of Wisdom, released in June, 2011 in the Zeldaclassic database. Promoted as celebrating Zelda's 25th anniversary. In the database it remained in the Top 10 list as number #1 before the hype wore off and the ratings adjusted appropriately. Though no longer remaining high in the quest database, it remains as one of the best quests released in 2011 by fan based approval. Souls of Wisdom promises to give a real Zelda experience using old fashioned ZeldaClassic techniques and cliches, while remaining new and fresh with many never before seen intuitive features. No quest player should be without adding this golden charm to their collection.

Description

Souls of Wisdom has become more than a quest, it has become an official series. But this is where it all began, the official Souls of Wisdom. Built using dated Zeldaclassic tools, it provides the sense of what Zeldaclassic used to be, while continuously being intuitive from beginning to end.

Souls of Wisdom recreates Zelda 1 with a fresh new perspective. It is the only Zelda 1 remake built in an ALTTP style. Complete with brand new terrain not included in the original Zelda 1 map, and a Dark World which loosely reflects the overworld much like it did in ALTTP.

Reception and fan approval remained very favorable on soulsofwisdom.com and in the purezc message forum. Fans have reported on many occasions describing a sense of amusement an joy in epic proportions near the end of this quest, which is where I believe this quest really shines, it is an adventure that just catches unto your heart and won't let go until it is over, which than gives fans that "I can't believe it's over sensation".

Souls of Wisdom promises to be an adventure on epic proportions, join the fan base and try the original today.

Design

Souls of Wisdom is a very large quest with a complicated storyline designed to piece together the Zelda series in the most accurate way possible. Complete with 13 dungeons, 9 classic dungeons, and the infamous Temple of Cole, this is a quest for those who love a long journey. Souls of Wisdom takes place in the Kingdom Province of Eldin. Faron province and Lanayru province and it's citizens does not appear until the sequel. But paintings of Yedit can be found in many homes located in Eldin.

Souls of Wisdom introduces The Undead Deity. A creature that is designed to create heart pounding terror as you are helplessly forced to run from his aggressive pursuit. A concept I borrowed from the Resident Evil franchise with their use of the character "Nemesis". I thought the whole idea of being pursued by a super power to be bad ass, and thus brought the Undead Deity into existence.

Souls of Wisdom lacks custom made enemies and bosses, being that it's an older quest, but does make up for it's lack in the end with the Final Boss, and the infamous Temple of Cole which features the craziest enemies and challenges you'll ever face. The Temple of Cole is not for the faint of heart and will challenge even the most experienced quest players.

Souls of Wisdom also features 9 classic dungeons from the first game which you can revisit but with a new twist. The magic key was replaced by Navi the Fairy, and she does not unlock doors other than the Temple of Cole entrance. Without a magic key, you have to be more conscious when choosing doors to unlock in the optional classic dungeons, or they will remain forever unbeatable in your quest. Upon completing the Classic Dungeons you are rewarded a rare item.

Souls of Wisdom's overworld is another impressive touch. We need to admit, without a good overworld, a Zelda quest would go flat. That's why I pit much of my interest in making the province of Eldin the most beautiful overworld that comes together like an overworld should. That is my guarantee.*

What makes this quest special is that it's full of surprises. It is impossible to enter a dungeon in Souls of Wisdom and say "Oh my! Another dungeon". Souls of Wisdom was built to add diversity to every single dungeon, giving them all a unique personality, these dungeons don't feel like dungeons. Although this quest lacks real complex puzzle designs, and some areas may have been slopped together, these flaws will not distract the sensations that these incredibly crafted dungeons will provide you.

If you haven't played this game before, what's stopping you from playing now?

Technical Information

Souls of Wisdom was built in Zquest 2.10, but has abandoned that version in favor of Zeldaclassic 2.5 (RC3) which continues to be the most compatible Zeldaclassic version to date. Souls of Wisdom is designed using a highly modified newfirst graphics pack. Though newfirst is not a quest designer's first choice, it defies Souls of Wisdom, and the modifications make it a unique new graphics pack. The overworld in total is built combining 6 complete overworld maps devided into a Light World and Dark World setting. Giving the Light World 3 1/2 maps and giving the Dark World 2 1/2 total maps. With 6 full world maps, 23 dungeons, and many caves and other added locations, Souls is huge. Almost a decade in design, this quest promises between 20 to 30 hours of gameplay on your first run.

Series Story Prologue

Souls of Wisdom follows the elusive 3rd timeline where the hero has fallen.

Many centuries ago, before the events of Souls of Wisdom, a youth who's blood was said to be sacred stood up against a desert thief in a race for the Triforce, a relic created by the Gods which is said to be able to grant the wish of whoever touches it. While the thief was initiating his invasion of Hyrule, the youth released the seal in the Temple of Time. It was than he created few of the world's most complex phenomenons.*

He broke the Sacred Rule.

The sacred rule states that no evil man should ever reach the Triforce, but the young naive youth was tricked by the thief, who used the youth to gain access of the Triforce.

The Gods anticipated this possibility, and thus created with the Triforce the Souls that would guide each peace to a new owner. This defense mechanism was designed to keep the Triforce out of evil's reach.

But there was a crack in the perfect designed. Centuries before Hyrule became a world power, when mankind lived in the sky, a curse was created by a demon, altering the very nature of the Triforce.

The Souls of Wisdom took the Triforce of Wisdom and guided it to it's new owner, Princess Zelda. The Souls of Courage took their trust in the youth and made him the Hero of Time. The Souls of Power, as a direct result of the curse remained with Ganondorf, the desert thief, making him an Evil King.

The Souls also created the Great Timeline split. Events pre determined to unfold to decide which timeline should become the dominant one.

The Souls of Wisdom timeline follows the events of the controversial timeline. When the hero fails. Let's reflect in the past, during the final showdown between The Hero of Time and The Evil King in a timeline that is said the Evil King triumphs.

Events guided by the Souls of Power as the dominant force, The Hero of Time actually does defeat the Evil King and seals him in the Evil Realm. * *With his job completed, the Princess plays the Ocarina of Time once more, and sends the Hero back in time to relive his childhood, forever vanishing from this peaceful timeline.

With the Evil King defeated, in a world governed by the Souls of Power, a new plan had to be created to bring back Ganondorf as the vessel to reclaim the dominance of the Souls of Power.*

Seeing much potential in the Hero of Time, the Souls of Power, guided by a demon's dark curse, worked on it's own agenda and intruded the other two timelines in search for answers.

The answer was found, conveniently *in the era where the Hero of Time was just a boy. They needed him, they needed the Hero. The Souls of Power created a living alter ego who will successfully achieve this plan, and than transformed the living identity into a Mask. That mask would be Majora's Mask, the creature who will be responsible for creating the Fierce Deity. The Souls of Power had to be careful as to not get detected by the Gods while invading a timeline they do not belong, so they created a world inside the Hero's head, and slowly corrupt the Hero.

They were successful in corrupting the Hero, with the hero transformed as the Fierce Deity and in their control, they brought him back to their own timeline where he would free Ganon and invade Hyrule.

But the Souls of Power did not anticipate the next event to unfold. Another event from another timeline got merged with theirs, the Great Flood.

The same flood that destroyed Hyrule in another timeline was invading into this timeline. It was than that Ganon took advantage of the interrupted commotion and betrayed the Fierce Deity.

The Fierce Deity drowned, and Ganondorf surprisingly met his end against the Hero of Winds, another event that did not belong in this timeline.

The Souls of Power was dumbstruck, they had not anticipated their plan would go to ruin. They did not anticipate a foreign hero that originally belong in another world to have influence.

The Souls of Power needed another plan. Realizing that manipulating with other timelines lead to serious consequences, they never done it again.

Hyrule, now a flooded wasteland, and Ganon sealed in the Evil Realm due to his defeat by the Hero of another timeline. The Souls of Power created another identity, a living alter ego of Ganon's sealed spirit, his name was Aghanim. Aghanim used his magic to end the flood, which earned him prestige in Hyrule. But Aghanim's plot to betray Hyrule and break Ganon's seal unfolded before Hyrule can respond, and it took another Hero, a young youth to prevent Ganon's dominance over Hyrule.

Centuries and centuries of Hyrulean history, the Souls of Wisdom, Souls of Power, and the Souls of Courage, acting as Gods in three different timelines. The endless struggles, between good and evil. It all has to end somewhere, this massive conflict must lead to a conclusion.

Welcome to the new era, where it all comes to a conclusion, the final chapter. A curse created by a demon, and a hero who eternally confronts the evils it brings. Welcome to the final chapter of The Legend of Zelda, welcome to the story I like to call Souls of Wisdom.

Story

Centuries after the defeat of Ganon and Aghanim, Hyrule lived in peace and the economy grew. Hyrule became so self sufficient country they were able to anticipate Ganon's return and counter his attack. Two great men, Rash of the Faron province, and Yedit of the Lanayru province successfully spoiled Ganon's plot in getting the Triforce of Courage, who assisted in the Great War, sealing the Triforce of Courage in the Great Palace.

Furious with Yedit's and Rash's intrusion, Ganon vowed to kill them both. Ganon confronted Rash who was still young and overconfident. It was than Rash realized he was still too young, and was outmatched by Ganon's sheer Legendary powers.

Realizing the error of his overconfidence, Rash was ready to die, but Yedit surprised Ganon with an attack and infuriated Ganon even more. But unlike Rash, Yedit was way beyond the skills of a normal Hylian. Yedit humiliated Ganon in battle, destroyed him, and ended the war. Rash and Yedit went down as heroes protecting the Faron province and Lanayru Province respectively.

A few years after the War of the Sealed Triforce. The Kingdom province of Eldin disappeared, Yedit was away seeking other evils to defeat, leaving Rash to seek out the missing province of Eldin.

Eldin was under a mysterious invasion, isolating the entire province from the rest of the world without anybody inside suspecting the event.

Even more mysteriously, everybody in the castle seems to have vanished, and talks of the Hero of Time has risen from the Dead. People went to the Hero's grave in prayer, believing that the Hero of Time will find out the mysteries surrounding the castle.

Meanwhile, living on a small island, a young boy is being summoned to the castle by an unknown voice. He sets sail in the morning to investigate.

History

History

Souls of Wisdom began immediately after Shattered Courage was a popular quest being played by many. Though I was proud of Shattered Courage being an enjoyable quest, I was burdened by my own personal disappointment in many of it's design flaws which at the time seemed irreversible.*

While managing Shattered Courage I was playing with an old idea I sincerely wanted to create at the time. I wanted to recreate The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES in Zeldaclassic standards. After several failed attempts to recreate the castle area, I decided to play around with another idea. I would recreate Hyrule Castle loosely based off the Zelda 1 game map, than begin to work a Zelda 1 remake.

So than it began, an unnamed Zelda 1 remake. During this time I was fascinated by the game Metroid Zero Mission which remade the 1st Metroid game but with a Metroid 3 feel, and that fueled my motivation. I wanted to make a quest just like that, a Zelda 1 and ALTTP hybrid.

Years have been poured into Souls of Wisdom, and you'll definitely feel that evolution in the quest. As I grew into a more experienced quest designer, the journey through this quest reflects the journey of the designer. You see this quest literally evolve right before your eyes.

Many times I have considered quitting. But that's few of the many challenges of a quest designer. Through Souls of Wisdom I transgressed from a noobie to an elite quest designer.

Souls of Wisdom was released in beta form over and over for years, and than it appeared to have been abandoned, with only the late Elise managing it's fan base. Though Souls of Wisdom seemed abandoned, I was actually working on it on and off in the background.*

The official release was finally made in June 2011. Since than I have been actively managing SoW with its biggest flaw: The bugs. Being a massive quest it was plagued with many game glitches and bugs, which was the #1 cause of it's late release.

Today, Souls of Wisdom remains in it's purest form, giving the most fruitful experience with very few bugs. Now with Souls of Wisdom finally completed at the bulk, I have moved on to creating a sequel due to it's positive reception.

Download

- - - Coming Soon - - -

Images

- - - Coming Soon - - -