PDA

View Full Version : Lufia 2 and Earthbound

mrz84
09-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Personally, I think these are two of the greatest RPGs ever made on the SNES, along with Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and Seiken Densetsu 3.

Now, I also personally think that these 2 games have really gotten the shaft in the past few years. Why? [I'm about to rant and that would make this GB territory, but I didn't think video games would be something to post there about, what with VGD around again. If I'm wrong, feel free to move this to GB mods and admins]

Lufia 2 got a DS remake a few years ago. It got updated 3D-ish graphics, new character designs, remixed music, and was said to be more of a reboot than a remake. I never got to play the game (curse you Blockbuster for being the only game rental place in my town and for not believing in this game's existence!) I was irked by some the new design choices, but meh. Here's a pic comparing the old art with the new: http://yavgb.blogspot.com/2010/10/review-lufia-curse-of-sinistrals-ds.html . Also, Lexis is no longer playable. I have no idea why (maybe its explained in the plot at one point, but meh I don't know), but he was one of my fav characters in this game, along with Dekar. Artea, Selan, Iris, and Gades in the original game. I can't really say having not played the game, but with everything I've seen and read I don't know if I wanna play this. Maybe a Virtual Console (I'm looking at you Nintendo)release of the original, but not very likely htis game. Moving on.

Earthbound was one the most interesting RPGs on the SNES. The story was interesting, the characters were hilarious and the music was rememberable. What irks me is that it hasn't seen a VC release in the US. I often wondered why until I stumbled upon this: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Earthbound-Still-Delayed-Virtual-Console-Due-Silly-Legal-Issues-44193.html and this: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/ :whatchutalkingabout . It just had to be lawyers. Ya, I know they get paid to keep the Big N outta legal trouble, but there's so much on the list that it isn't funny.

Flash Man
09-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I still have my original Earthbound (oversized) box and cartridge. I feel like I have the strategy guide that came with it is somewhere; though I know for sure that the scratch and sniff cards are no longer present.

I have also been looking to acquire both Lufia and Lufia II for SNES, though I have not been trying very hard.

All of the games you mentions are indeed quite awesome.

mrz84
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I've been trying the same thing, but no luck so far on finding copies of either game that aren't over $100-300 on amazon or ebay. Also, I need a new SNES, as one of the cords got pulled out forcefully years ago and took the part said cord hooks into with it.

Brasel
09-20-2012, 11:22 PM
I tried playing through Earthbound a few years ago. It wasn't bad, but it seemed to move too slow for me.

Lufia 2 was one of my favorite games when I was in High School. I loved it, and the fact that in the dungeon, there were no random encounters.
I didn't really get to play Lufia 1 until much later. The original Lufia is freaking hard!

Tim
09-21-2012, 12:52 AM
I bought Lufia II on a whim and was not disappointed in the least. It was great from start to finish. The only issue was I think the difficulty was a little low, except for some of the puzzles.

Aliem
09-23-2012, 06:37 AM
I've played Earthbound through a few times and always love it. The music, especially, is memorable to me. Lufia 2, however, while a great game, from what I gathered, I have never finished. No reason why. I just suddenly stopped playing. I have it high on a "to-do" list of games to finish.