PDA

View Full Version : The OCD Topic.

ShadowTiger
08-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Obviously, it's going to be subjective as to whether or not it's good or bad to have OCD, but let's assume for now that it doesn't matter.

So this is a topic to discuss our own personal levels of OCD; Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. For some, it's pretty crazy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1OYlYzgm8). For others, not so much.

My own OCD has enabled me to be somewhat paranoid about the overall quality of the keys that I cut at work. I really don't like people going home with keys that I don't think will work. It's enabled me to see the best ways to cut a key so that it'll work, and even to check to see if it aligns right. It has to be just right. I'm grateful for this.

I also tend to count certain things. I like to see if something matches a pattern. Suppose I'm counting wall tiles: I'll see if I can count in groups of 5 all the way to the top, and if it forms a complete multiple of 5, or if it falls short or over. I'll keep going until I find a whole number.

How about yourselves?

CJC
08-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, I have to clear the browsing cache twice every time I close an internet browser.

I can't think of any others at the moment, but I'm sure I have some.

Rambly
08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Do you actually have obsessive-compulsive disorder, or are you just self-diagnosing? Or intentionally using it as a generic word for "weird quirks that literally everyone has"? Just curious.

ShadowTiger
08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
You can call anything a quirk if you just ... well, call it a quirk. :shrug: I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have OCD and have never been bothered to have been specifically diagnosed with it, and vice versa.

Glenn the Great
08-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Working as a computer programmer presents countless opportunities to get caught up in OCD.
Me personally, anything my IDE won't auto-format, I always have to format by hand the exact same way everywhere, especially my SQL.
I spend a lot of time putting escape characters around every table and field name in every query just to protect myself from the slight possibility that the next version of the DBMS will turn one of my column names into a key word and cause my query to stop working.

Nathaniel
08-30-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess you can say I can be OCD about making sure that things are locked that I wish to have locked. It's to the point where sometimes I might check that all four of my car doors are locked, or that the entrance to my apartment is locked, even though I am pretty sure that they are.

Gleeok
08-31-2012, 03:24 AM
or that the entrance to my apartment is locked, even though I am pretty sure that they are.
If you live in NY that's not really OCD as much as it is the smart thing to do. :P

I'll tend to get OCD with whitespace and formatting while programming also. Besides that I am amused by the fact that I can be working on something in a room with random clutter and garbage everywhere but whatever it is tham I'm focusing or working on needs to be neat and clean. :googly:

erm2003
09-02-2012, 03:35 AM
I have OCD about the weirdest things. It's quite selective. I think it's mostly a result of my job. Certain things have to be done in certain ways to either stay organized, or when it comes to math work it has to be done or my students may not get full credit for a question when graded on a state rubric. I think most of my little OCD issues in that way are often caused by other things acting upon and controlling my life in some way.