PDA

View Full Version : What 5 quests should I play?

DarkDragon
08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
I haven't actually played a Zelda quest in a good long time. What five quests, released in, say, the last five years (I've already played most of the "classics"), do you recommend? I'm particularly fond of quests with LttP-style gameplay (lots of items, hard puzzles, but not too many rooms stuffed to the brim with hard enemies).

Majora
08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
IF MINE WAS FINISHED I'D ASK YOU TO PLAY IT ... but if you don't mind a couple hours of content and then randomly screwing around afterwards in a broken and incomplete world, lemme know. :D

Rydia
08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
I dunno, I personally enjoy Link's Birthday, Hidden Duality, Ganon's Claim, and a couple others that I can't remember at the moment. You may have played them before, but I love em all!

Rambly
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
There haven't been a lot of recent quests that have LTTP-style gameplay, but have you tried Path of Shadows (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=333)? I think it's supposed to be in that vein. I haven't played it, though.

I enjoyed Time After (http://www.zelda-classic.de/download_file_54_Time-After.html), although I'm not sure how well it'll run on RC4. It's the sequel to Power of Geduina (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=178), if you've ever played that.

Xyvol
08-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Whichever one you choose, be sure you get the appropriate player for it. I downloaded an older quest and played it on one of the new versions, and hit a spot where I am unable to continue due to a change in how it addresses certain combos.

Gleeok
08-28-2012, 12:49 AM
While not completed yet, Fairy Dream (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?94576-Fairy-Dream) has a rather large assortment of everything new 2.5 has to offer while still being true to a "Zelda" type game story and gameplay wise. If you're anything like me you want to see people push the envelope a little so I'm sure you'll dig it. (Plus it's not too difficult and has a lot of cut-scenes and puzzles.)

trudatman
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm always asking people to try my quests. you can click on my signature if you are interested.

Russ
09-01-2012, 03:36 AM
I'd definitely recommend the Fairy Dream demo. It's amazing. I'd also vouch for Engage to Zeldawock. (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=334) It's probably the best completed 2.5 quest out there right now. The stuff it does is incredible. There's also my quest (www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=312) if you're interested. [/shameless plug]

DarkDragon
09-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Tried the Fairy Dream demo and enjoyed it; great recommendation! I also tried Engage to Zeldawock but it seems I suck too badly to make much progress :(

Will try Light of the Heavens DX next.

LemonCat
09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Lost Isle, and (though unfinished) Sabotage Dragoon.

I can't think of anything else that's actually been completed past the standard one dungeon demo stage that's popped out recently that's really been interesting enough to warrant playing far beyond the first two dungeons.

DarkDragon
09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Does Lost Isle run on 2.50? Or does it still need the special build?

trudatman
09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it is playable in newer builds but not ideal.

Gleeok
09-14-2012, 10:03 PM
DFW released Lost Isle as a RC3 quest, gettableat the PZC 2.5 download section, but Saffith fixed a bug with water in RC4 so I would use that instead.

Din
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM
My recommendations:

1. Lost Isle.
2. Zodiac (unfinished and not too Zelda-like, but a very creative and well-done sidescroller/Metroidvania/SHMUP).
3. Zelda Classic Gauntlet (might get a bit bland after a while, but a creative blend of Zelda 1-esque dungeons with plenty of scripted features such as experience and skill distribution to help keep things a bit fresh).

That's about all that I can think of off the top of my head. I've been away from the scene for a while as well.

NewJourneysFire
10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Lost Isle and Hero of Dreams are fairly popular.

Just YouTube Zeldaclassic quests and see what you like.

ctrl-alt-delete
10-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Wasn't Dreams of Yesterday fairly popular?

Phazite
10-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Wasn't Dreams of Yesterday fairly popular?

Yes, especially back in the day for its innovation. It really pushed the boundaries of what could be done with Zelda Classic. It has come up again recently due to Shadow Tiger's amazing efforts to slay all of the bugs in the quest. The quest is very challenging though. I was never able to get very far in it. Many of the other popular quests I have completed.

DarkDragon
10-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Where do I get this de-bugged version? The one in the QDB says it's for beta 183, but even on that beta I ran into serious bugs (broken side warps for instance).

Saffith
10-25-2012, 09:47 AM
This is the best version, I think: http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/zc/DOY-Revised2011.qst

Phazite
10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
This should be the newest version, which I'm assuming has less bugs in it.
http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/zc/DoY2012RC4.qst

DarkDragon
10-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

ShadowTiger
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes, absolutely. That's the latest version. I'm always going to upgrade it to the latest Revision Candidate. I've got all four cheats in there, (The first one is a bold army request for help. One of them is a cheat from Starcraft.) because I know it'll get pretty hard. I'm also thinking of adding new 2.5 content in, but I really feel like I ought to seek C-Dawg's permission first. I'm not doing it for fun here or anything. The tileset is insanely addled and mixed up, and combo #0 is a grass combo. I'm sure you can figure out what kind of hell that wreaks with layering.

DarkDragon
10-26-2012, 02:45 PM
ST, please consider asking the QDB guys (http://armageddongames.net/forumdisplay.php?124-ZC-Site-Development) to upload the updated quest.

ShadowTiger
10-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Sounds good. Although I have no bug testers other than the quest players themselves, any bug-fixes are better than none. Righteo.

Do you think they could accept two versions at once? I've spent a year and a half on and off on this thing, but it's still all his work. I doubt anyone will use the original version at this point. It's only upgrades from here on in.

DarkDragon
10-26-2012, 03:47 PM
The original version doesn't even play correctly on the version listed (b184) so I would say replace it with the updated version. Are you in touch with C-dawg, and can you secure his permission?

ShadowTiger
10-26-2012, 03:55 PM
I know his brother on Facebook. I'll see what I can do. Probably better than my results uploading the other version which I posted. That didn't end well at all.

Joe
10-30-2012, 10:46 AM
The original version doesn't even play correctly on the version listed (b184) so I would say replace it with the updated version. Are you in touch with C-dawg, and can you secure his permission?

The version in the database will play and be winnable with beta 152 only. It has many bugs that need to be worked around but it is winnable in beta 152 and in my opinion worth the effort. Shadow Tiger’s hard work in the latest beta eliminates a great many of the bugs. It also is a fun romp. However it has a slightly different feel to it than the original. I would suggest that you keep both in the database and include the beta 152 engine in the download section, because if you want to get the full flavor of C-Dawg’s DoY you would need to play the original. Having said that let me say that Shadow Tiger’s version is an amazing piece of work and is definitely a high quality quest that also provides many hours of great entertainment. It should also be in the database!

Have you tried 'Time After" by Mudvayne?

Enjoy the Day!
Thanks - Joe

DarkDragon
10-30-2012, 11:43 AM
The version in the database will play and be winnable with beta 152 only. It has many bugs that need to be worked around but it is winnable in beta 152 and in my opinion worth the effort. Shadow Tiger’s hard work in the latest beta eliminates a great many of the bugs. It also is a fun romp. However it has a slightly different feel to it than the original. I would suggest that you keep both in the database and include the beta 152 engine in the download section, because if you want to get the full flavor of C-Dawg’s DoY you would need to play the original. Having said that let me say that Shadow Tiger’s version is an amazing piece of work and is definitely a high quality quest that also provides many hours of great entertainment. It should also be in the database!

Have you tried 'Time After" by Mudvayne?

Enjoy the Day!
Thanks - Joe

What are the main changes ST made, besides fixing bugs?

Joe
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
What are the main changes ST made, besides fixing bugs?

Of course Shadow Tiger could answer this to a greater degree than I can. Let me just say that the fighting in many cases is easier; there are areas easier to maneuver through because certain dangers have been reduced or eliminated. Also at least one area had to be rendered inconsequential because of the warp workaround needed to solve the compatibility problem of updating from beta 152 to the latest betas. And there are some other things. It’s enough, for me, to change the flavor of the quest. But like I said, Shadow Tiger’s work is outstanding and I think you should consider including both in the database.

Enjoy the Day!
Thanks - Joe

DarkDragon
10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
It used to be harder? :eek: And it has already taken me 200 lives to beat just the first three nightmares...

Joe
10-30-2012, 01:28 PM
It used to be harder? :eek: And it has already taken me 200 lives to beat just the first three nightmares...

LOL, My younger sister who was 15 at the time (maybe 5 years ago) decided to give DoY a play - the 152 version - she died like 700 times and it took over 70 hours of play time, but she won the day and it made her a better player. Also if you have not played 'Time After' or 'Nemel"' or 'Isle of the Winds' you might give them a twirl.

Good Luck with your Game!
Thanks - Joe

DarkDragon
10-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Is this the latest version of Time After: http://www.zelda-classic.de/download_file_54_Time-After.html? I couldn't find it in either QDB. Do you know if it runs on RC4?

If it's the one with the infuriating overworld raft paths, I think I've played Isle of Winds before... ;)

Joe
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Is this the latest version of Time After: http://www.zelda-classic.de/download_file_54_Time-After.html? I couldn't find it in either QDB. Do you know if it runs on RC4?

If it's the one with the infuriating overworld raft paths, I think I've played Isle of Winds before... ;)

That I think is the only place to grab it. I played it only in the 984 beta (I think it was) so if there are any problems playing it in the newest beta I can't say. Yes the raft paths are .. well boring but the rest of the quest is outstanding and once you win the flippers you can swim most places. If you like an old fashion feel to a quest Nemel is good and the fighting is not to an extreme and it has one of the most unique levels I've played. Have you played Shoelace's Hero of Dreams?

Enjoy the Day!
Thanks - Joe

DarkDragon
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Have you played Shoelace's Hero of Dreams?

I have! Good stuff, and one of my favorite quests so far, along with Lost Isle.