PDA

View Full Version : [2.5 RC3] bagelquest

Bagel
08-26-2012, 12:30 AM
A simple Classic-style quest. Overworld mostly completed and four dungeons so far.

This quest was built in ZC 2.5 RC3! It will not work in any prior version!

I was going to include more screenshots, but when you're using Classic tiles, well. You've probably seen this, or something remarkably like it, before:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9536940/shot3.png

There *are* a few custom tiles, and the palettes are more muted, but there's not much that is screenshot-worthy.

This quest is about having fun playing a classic-styled Zelda game, not about scripting prowess, an amazing story, or impressive visuals. It does however use some of the newer features introduced since 1.92. The game starts out much like Zelda 1 and gradually gains a Game Boy-like feel as it progresses. You will need to explore the overworld a little bit, as you start out with literally no items, not even the small shield.

I've also written and/or arranged an enhanced soundtrack. Without it you'll just be getting the default midis, so it's probably a good idea to grab it. The enhanced music is in mp3 format at 160 or 192kbps and does not all loop properly, thanks to a strange delay introduced by ZC itself. If you want to just grab the music for your own uses, go ahead.

This demo contains roughly half the quest (four completed dungeons and a mostly complete overworld) and its contents are likely to radically change between now and the official release. However, this will be the last public demo. Please note that it is unfinished, so you may find caves that lead nowhere, missing heart pieces, inaccessible areas, and raft docks that won't work. Bug reports and suggestions are always appreciated, but there are several things I am already aware of. If you end up just reminding me of something I already know about, that's fine too.

I am working on this in what little spare time I have, generally in the evenings, so progress is horrendously slow. The quest and soundtrack are subject to change, possibly dramatically. Boo.

If you wish to cheat, think Kirby characters.

ENHANCED MUSIC (recommended - unzip to the same directory as the quest file):
Here (20.7MB) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9536940/bagelquestmusic.zip)

QUEST FILE:
Here (1.1MB) (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9536940/bagelquestdemo2.qst)
(Right-click to save the linked file if clicking directly does not work.)

ms_zelda_lady
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
I've played and finished the first 3 levels. I didn't have any problems in anywherel. Nice touch with the block puzzles in level 3. A little to easy though. I've already found my way to level 4 but I don't have time tonight to finish it. I found the sword on the top of Death Mountain but I haven't found the white sword yet. BTW Thanks for the Roc Feather. Good quest so far Bagel. I'm looking forward to playing more of it

Sam Atoms
09-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I've just finished the demo. I like the way you're making this a Zelda 1 / 4 hybrid, as well as what you're doing with the caverns. That Mario-style cavern that led to the Piece of Heart was a nice touch.